Win7 vs Win10

What should I install? Worked only with Win7 now, but I have a feel that I would miss some opportunities.
>inb4 install gentoo

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/eoSg3fSB7PA
gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9
tweakhound.com/2017/02/11/blocking-windows-7-telemetry/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

install gentoo

Friendly reminder that you can debotnet more of Win10 than of an updated Win7

I missed the chance to get a free windows 10 licence, so I'm sticking to windows 7.

Sure thing.
youtu.be/eoSg3fSB7PA

>I have a feel that I would miss some opportunities.
With windows you didn't miss anything. The only new win10 thing is DX12 which you won't need ever.

Also, you haven't missed the real opportunity here which is trying free and open source software/operating system. You can do that anytime you like. That's what "free" means.

Why not try GNU/Linux just go with Ubuntu or mint or something

Windows is mainly used for the applications that run on the OS.
Just use the one you have, nothing microsoft have ever done was relevant to the users.

My w10 crashes every week. After clean legal install and new hardware

Gonna try that sometime.

download a live USB and try it nao.

Get a mac

Windows 10 LTSB is the real windows

I now dont have time to learn Linux. I'm really interested on it, seriously. But I first need to learn all the basics and sheeit, but now got no time cause of work

Well, as soon as you get back from work then. You don't have to "learn" it. Just boot from USB and browse a website. Get a feel of it. When done for the day reboot to your main OS.

I mark your words. Promised

Here's how it's going to go....
1. Macfags will how up. Everyone else will ignore them.
2. Usual puns on installing Gentoo
3. Polite recommendations to install Ubuntu, Debian, Mint and other distros.
4. Arch users steam in and sperg over everyone else
5. Major arguments break out over Arch's unreliability and pseudo elitist obnoxious user base.

You leave the thread none the wiser and upgrade to Windows 10.

Sorted.

This is good advice. Pick a Linux distro. Ubuntu is the simplest to set up. You don't need to install it. Just boot into a live USB. You will be surprised how easy it is .

install ltsb

Does ltsb even have game mode or the creators update?

How? Is there a mydigitallife forum topic that has everything to do this like they did with windows7??

Install Arch or an Arch derivative and learn how your system works

Ignore the LTSB meme unless you want an outdated OS. It does effectively nothing for you except reduce the quality of the UI and preclude you from feature updates. Idiots who use windows for nothing but gaming but don't want features that are objectively better for gaming, like better game presentation modes, fullscreen optimizations, more stable frame timing, and decreased button-to-pixel latency

there is literary nothing wrong with using windows 7 if it runs on the same hardware

t. Microsoft shill

There is no way for you or me to know because we cannot study windows' source code.

Stay on Win7 and run Linux in a VM until you're comfortable enough to switch. Preferably before support drops.

Stop lying in the Internet.

Stick with Windows 7. Maybe W10 will stop being shit and fix the data collection issues until 2023 (when W8.1 support ends). Until then, run away from Windows 10.

Alternatively, you could try a GNU/Linux distro if your workflow allows you.

>Worse UI
>Borderless windows add 30ms latency
>Alt-tabbing might crash your game
>Lower fps
>Hit harder by meltdown / spectre patches
Since the fall update there is 0 reason to use win7. Reminder that ltsb cucks don't have the fall update, or the one before that

Caring about anonymous telemetry that you can turn off is security theater. You haven't done anything to uncompromise yourself

honestly at this point i'd rather give up my 400 steam games not ported on linux than installing windows 10

>Worse UI
>Lower fps
wat

lol

>Worse UI
Subjective. For me 5 different themes mixed is worse, but still it's subjective.

Edge case. nobody uses this

>>Alt-tabbing might crash your game
Stop using bordeless windows.

>>Lower fps
Nope

>>Hit harder by meltdown / spectre patches
I haven't seen any degradation myself. I'm not talking benchmarks but actual in-game performance. Still hitting all vsyncs on my sandy bridge system. Don't let websites scare you and actually see for yourself.

Win10 doesn't have new features to benefit the users. It is turned to consumer hell AND KEEP GOING YEAH BABY

and updated Win7 does the exact same thing, except nobody ever talks about that because of the "lol it's not win10 so it must be safe!!!" meme

Prove me wrong? There's dozens of tools to debotnet Win10, but the best you got for Win7 is a years old guide on removing an early telemetry update (which was superseded by MS including telemetry in newer updates without mentioning it)

See gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9 for a list of non-telemetry-related Win7 updates which contained the telemetry code. Unfortunately that hasn't been updated since 2015, there's no telling how many later updates also contain the same telemetry stuff (mainly because nobody focuses on Win7 spyware, like I mentioned above)

You don't need source code to study how something works, there's an entire field called reverse-engineering that deals with that.

Less than 2 years of security updates left for Windows 7. You will pay for Windows 10 lol.

>there's an entire field called reverse-engineering that deals with that.
You're a gullible faggot for thinking this is all that's needed to trust closed source software. Stop being cancer and acknowledge that closed source software is what it is to hide its intents and purposes from the user.

You use windowed borderless to improve alt tabbing, because everything before current win10, alt tabbing was a very unclean process that could break a fullscreen window.

I don't know about your taste user, but I'd rather have different context menus(I guess nobody has ever heard of a contrast-based color scheme for buttons and menus), than to have my entire OS look worse and function less. Win10 looking clean and elegant as fuck, win7 looking like Fisher Price fake glass

>Lower fps
>>Nope
Yeah. Oh and enjoy your latency too

>Vsync on
>Not win10 sexy new presentation mode
Lmfao enjoy your +80ms latency

>alt tabbing was a very unclean process that could break a fullscreen window.
Yes, "was". I don't think I had this problem since I used an S3 Virge on windows XP. No idea what fuck off hardware you run.

>Win7 looking like Fisher Price fake glass
I forgot I always used the classic theme. You're right about stock win7 looking like shit. I still think having all these inconsistencies make win10 look like they decided halfway to make a desktop OS instead of a mobile OS.

I'm not an idiot cranking up the prebuffered frames, fa.m Also enjoy your placebo low latency when having a brain that also has a built in latency in the order of 100ms. You don't experience this because your brain anticipates on this. It has no trouble adjusting for an extra 16ms or even more. Also, I'm not a special sneauxflake that blames his setup for sucking in-game.

Latency is cumulative. Your cognition is massively parallel and in terms of visual and audio processing, you are still sensitive to low latencies for devices. I can absolutely feel when vsync is on for win7.

Yes, you can observe this but it doesn't necessarily needs to be a problem. For me latency isn't a big problem when gaming. I do it for "fun".

Why the fuck would you need that crap?
t. Windows 7 sp1 poster

>Worse UI
the opposite
a lie
the opposite
>Lower fps
the opposite
a lie
Wait, I think it's actually a win7 shill in disguise

I have troubles with alttabbing with nvidia gpu on win7. I had no problems with it on amd gpu. I think shitty nvidia drivers is the case. And I fail to see how downgrading to win10 will solve the issue, does win10 even have exclusive fullscreen?

>And I fail to see how downgrading to win10 will solve the issue
Same for me. I always feel like it's a hardware problem so changing windows version won't help you at all.

8.1 is actually pretty good my guy

>classic shell
>services.msc - disable windows update service

good to go

>disable windows update service
Bye user. . .

ye i kinda like my 30% of cpu that it eats up on startup

At least you can still use your PC.

Windows 7 + tweakhound.com/2017/02/11/blocking-windows-7-telemetry/ to remove telemetry.

Can someone give me a rundown on pirating Windows 10?
I'm leaving the country for 6 months and I'm gonna give my PC to a mate, I've got a legit version on one disk and arch on the other. But I've never pirated Win10 before.
Is Dazloader still a thing?

>implying the botnet is the only reason not to use 10
the general functionality and the general ui design is absolute dogshit

Wrong wrong wrong
t. Sourceless McFag

But a lot of what he's complaining about can be blocked by adding simple rules to windows firewall. eg
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="telemetry_telemetry.microsoft.com" dir=out action=block remoteip=65.52.100.9 enable=yes
what's more these telemetry servers aren't exactly recent news, and whilst I completely agree that they just shouldn't exist, there's a tonne of info on the web to help you block them.
and most of the appstore/winapps can be removed too

>remove telemetry.
Don't even bother. It's all placebo. Take another sugar pill.

>Windows can be block by it's own firewall

X D

fire up wireshark and see for yourself

>wireshark
That's a nice example of FOSS. Maybe I like my OS to be FOSS too. Then I don't have to run wireshark to see if it pulls tricks on me.

cool story bro

>only reason win7 is still used

8.1 desu

It's cool because it's true.

Wrong they fixed this shit with the creators update and fall creators update. Lower latency in all window modes, alt tabbing that doesn't fuck your shit, and borderless windowed mode doesn't add latency

yeah pajeet, that's the only reason.

>alt tabbing that doesn't fuck your shit
Alt tabbing never fucked my shit. It's literally a non-issue on working hardware.

>nnno but Linux is 2 hard, please hold my hand Sup Forums
Stop being a fucking brainlet and install Arch or Gentoo, none of that 'but I want an easy, user friendly distro' shit. It's not that fucking hard, arch was my first Linux distro with just windows prior, surely your smarted than some NEET on Sup Forums right??? Stop being a faggot OP

Windows 7 still runs great, everyone else nit picking it are just fags and tryhards.

Windows 10 is still garbage though.

Win 10 unless you wanna wait an hour till computer boots up (fucking faggot)

So are you

>win10 constantly increasing
>win7 slightly decreasing
You can do better Pajeet

Borderless windowed mode never added noticeable latency in win7 you dumb ass. If your shitty win10 has 30ms latency and they finally fixed that it's still not an improvement over win7.

you might be retraded user, the hybrid shutdown of windows 10 is the source of so many problems because hurrr 15 seconds instead of 30

You can still get Windows 10 for free. Donwload the MS installer creation tool. Once it downloaded the ISO, you get the option to "upgrade this PC now" and be donw with it. Your current Win7 license wirks for that.

POSready

I see no reason to upgrade and dont like the direction MS went with Windows

If i didnt need the Adobe Creative Suite for work i would have gone full Linux Mint years ago

>It does effectively nothing for you except reduce the quality of the UI and preclude you from feature updates. Idiots who use windows for nothing but gaming but don't want features that are objectively better for gaming, like better game presentation modes, fullscreen optimizations, more stable frame timing, and decreased button-to-pixel latency
people actually believe this?
Newer isn't always better. These last two updates have only introduced problems and I'm not one for all these "features" they keep adding.

Oh, also getting sick of disks spinning up for no reason and Windows Updates driving around the "notify me before downloading" GPO. Nevermind the forced restarts that show no mercy to running VMs and other mission critical software. It's absolutely ridiculous and indefensible.

LTSB/LTSC, in spite of what it was meant to target, offers an escape from all of that bullshit. If it means being locked into the old update model, then so be it.

I will be a beta tester for the semi-annual channel no longer.

Gentoo and Windows 10 enterprise if you must.

I use themed Win7 SP1 on my home desktop to play games and watch shit, and updated Win10 on my laptop for uni to make sure everything I need to use is compatible

This is the goat combo