/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtu.be/0UOU36cJgZY

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/g1rFMmsJTmc
newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/09/25/americans-paycheck-debt-survey/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I really hope you get some sense of satisfaction from posting that Seiko shitter all the time.

Best $500 alternative to a Rolex submariner?

>anything i don't personally like is a shitter, even if it's more accurate and durable than a Rolex

My fedora watch and fedora radio.

what is that?

>if I change my images slightly it won't look like shitposting

Cartier Santos and Pioneer TX-608.

How do I adjust bracelet on penis quartz?

hmm that's pretty neat i guess, i have not seen one of those before

Did you rub it across the pavement for this pic?

can you take a better pic of the side of the bracelet?

My grandfather's birthday is coming up, and the familiy wants to get him a radio controlled watch (he's obsessed with them).

I'm sure he's about to snuff it, anyways. So what would be a nice watch to inherit?

Here is a video of the tuner. Not me.

youtu.be/g1rFMmsJTmc

Oceanus ocw-s100

>anus

My next purchase.

i still can't see very well but on the sides of each link there should be a pin or a screw, if it's a pin you have to push it out then take out the link and put it back in to join the links back together

It was actually a relative's everyday watch for 20+ years. He was a sailor and ship consignee, so the watch is in pretty good shape after all.

You just move the clasp the same way as you would with one of these mesh straps.

It's sad because I kinda want to get a solar Seiko or citizen, but this guy shills them way too hard.

I can't trust that they are worth it.

A Seiko Astron. I'd say maybe go with one of the World Time models because the dial is less busy and would be easier to read for an older person than some of the other models.

This is not radio controlled, it is GPS. This thing wears fucking huge and is probably much more expensive than user was thinking

Virtually the same as this.

what about the technology do you not think is "worth it"?

Nonetheless it is pretty definitively the best analogue radio controlled watch on the market.

>GPS
>Not radio

I am assuming user meant radio frequency controlled, like by radio waves from a tower.

Not the same thing. Unless you think a few radio towers on the ground that your watch has to be within range of to sync is the same as syncing with satellites.

I can't get over how much I hate the way this thing looks. The time zone markers, the style of the indices and hands, that subdial thing, it's all so damn cheap looking.

It's a shame Seiko doesn't sell more of their JDM models here, I was there last summer and saw some I really liked, including several Astron models.

I'm saying that GPS uses a radio.

I kinda like it. Non traditional shaped watches are starting to interest me. How old are you user?

Anyone have any favorites from SIHH 2018? Anyone have any predictions on what Rolex will come out with or hope Rolex will release?

I'm dying for a glidelock across all their sport models.

pedantics user

But surely you get why the distinction is used, user. Radio on a watch means its syncing to a tower on the ground while GPS means it's syncing to satellites.

GPS uses atomic time for triangulation. It should be accurate.

If I recall correctly the speeds they're going at LEO means they actually have to take into account time dilation, otherwise the clocks would be off by some nanoseconds. Neat stuff.

for some reason this giant G really puts me off

Nice rolex

>Anyone have any favorites from SIHH 2018?
Urwerk AMC is what gets me the most excited, although it's not really anything for now.
The Altiplano Ultimate has some neat elements.
Triple Split is nice, but not that crazy.
The Drive extra-flat in steel makes for an amazing daily watch.
VC Métiers d'Art is always a nice thing to see.
I weirdly like the IWC Pallweber.

Thanks for help, anons.

>tfw back in pharmcuck school
Manual wind is pretty comfy. Finally, a real reason to get out of bed!

redpill me on pic related

Bought my first Casio.

>How old are you user?
I am almost 36. Feeling old since i was 26 btw.

Well chosen. That bracelet is one of the finest Casio creations.

wb pharmanon

It's magnificent, I'm surprised I have not seen one similar before

what accuracy do you get from your Komandirskie?

> Cut off numerals
> minute hand too long
> Ugly lugs without enough shape
Pass

>dad buys me a watch when i'm 10
>i think it's ugly, never wear it
>dad kills himself when i'm 14
>still have the watch in my drawer, feel bad every time i see it

I love a lot of Dufor's work, but that one looks like a Chinese shitter from AliExpress.

Is the solar charge a meme or is it worth the money for coolness factor.

I want a G-shock and currently deciding between pic related or a GD-100-1BER which is without solar charge.

Lower price range so no botnet in my clock.

~+10 on wrist, pretty much the same dial up.
I just hack it for a bit before I wind it up in the morning.
>tfw couldn't find a single job or internship
I give up. What do you guys think about moving to Texas? Maybe Austin or Houston.
I'm honestly considering only paying off the small portion on my loans that are co-signed by my parents after I graduate, and then gtfoing to Dubai.

>Is the solar charge a meme or is it worth the money for coolness factor.
what makes you think it's a meme

solar casios can run decades without a battery change just being worn normally, i don't see how that is a meme

>Dubai
There are people who would willingly move to a muslim shithole?

What watch? You can probably pull it of.

Why Dubai?

I'm middle eastern kek
america is looking more and more like a shithole to me considering I can't find a single fucking place that I'd be happy to live in.
No taxes, good valued currency compared to where I want to retire.
I want to take advantage of my country's currently very high savings and bond interest rates.
Dump a million or so and live a comfy neet life off the interest.

It's a kids watch, I was a 10yo wristlet.
I can't bring myself to throw it out but It's not something I can wear either.

I just feel bad knowing that he put effort into picking it out for me, and paying for it even though he wasn't too well off, and then he never sees me wear it.

And now he's gone and I can't even talk to him about it. This kind of stuff keeps me up at nights.

Big fan of the Drive extra slim too. It's on my wishlist, just have to try it on this fall and hopefully get a good discount, if not, I can wait for it.

Besides the Drive and the Santos, I'm not too thrilled by many other watches, AP has a nice vampire out, but the best watch was the giant 50:1 scale A Lange.

I really dislike the Polaris from JLC, and the 56 from VC pretty boring too.

I'm 41, I figured you were old like me, we have similar taste in audio and watches haha.

More tech is more shit that can be broken, And I have no watch right now. But if it can run as you say without a battery change it's more then worth the extra money.

Your lack of appreciation and love probably contributed to him killing himself

>I'm middle eastern kek
What the fuck does that have to do with willingly moving to a muslim shithole?

If you're a eurofag, Junghans used to make some radio controlled watches.
Not messy dialed jap shit.

possible, i was in my edgy teenage phase just before he killed himself, i really regret the way i acted.

Looking back at the last time I talked to him I can tell he already knew he was going to end it, I remember the way he talked to me was a bit odd, like he was taking farewell. But back then i didn't really notice and just dismissed him so i could keep playing vidya.

VC's latest "budget" 40mm casual/dressy watches are a shitshow.
I would be more disappointed if I hadn't already dismissed that brand.

What is it?
A flik flak?
Just wear it.
Or post it here and we can suggest ways to make it seem less "kiddy".

It implies he is Muslim himself and that he would fit in to their culture and other shit with ease. If you had to pick a Muslim country to live in Dubai is a good choice.
Even if you arent and you want to make a heap of money it's a pretty decent place to go to, I know 3 engineers that have gone over there and are rolling in cash now.

I have a problem with VC... i want to like them, but i cant. I want to like the Overseas at least the same i like an Aquanaut, but i cant.

I keep trying.

It's even more hilarious that someone would willingly follow an abrahamic religion.

Or any religion for that matter.

Maybe if you stopped tipping your fedora for a bit you'd realize how downhill this country has gone.
Especially economically.
I refuse to be a wagecuck.

True, but the abrahamic varieties are especially insane.

Fantastic evasion, enjoy your bronze age myths.

I find it crazy that anyone would care what other people practice spiritually at all 2bh. As far as I'm concerned whatever legal thing someone does in the privacy of a private property doesn't concern me or any other person at all.
What I would love is the removal of Christian shit from government and courts.

Well, if you already live in a shithole that might be a good idea.

I can't help but care that people seem to love perpetuating utterly retarded ideas that can be discounted with 5 minutes of critical thought.

what benefits are there in secularizing the government

This is bait. Nobody can be this stupid.

I am a happy wagecuck here in yurop. Not rich, nor lacking anything. I cam even waste money on watches and other stupid shit.

And going to work, well, you have to do something in your life and someone has to do what i do. I like it most of the time.

no i really don't understand how having a religious influence on society is bad
enlighten me

He was wondering why his watch kept dying

Set your gaze to the last several thousand years of human history to see how well religious governance works out in the long run.

~%80 of Americans live paycheck to paycheck
That's quite literally modern slavery. I refuse to participate in that.
I literally never even mentioned my faith. You're the one that started sperging and fedora tipping.
You faggots really can't control your euphoria.
>newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/09/25/americans-paycheck-debt-survey/

i'm failing to see how removing the influences of religion on a western government can be good
i want an actual example, not just 'look at history :DD'
apply it to the british government for me please because that's the one im most familiar with
how will secularizing the british government improve society

>no i really don't understand how having a religious influence on society is bad
really

do you want it to be illegal to think jesus didn't have magic powers?

No, I cannot contain my utter disdain for those unwilling to examine the fanciful bullshit of religion with a critical eye.

You have the internet, I'm not here to coddle you. That said, here's an example: look at Iran in the early 70's, and look at Iran now.

where in the bible does it teach to take it literally, or to never deny that jesus was magical

you're giving me examples of eastern cultures, all i'm asking for is one reason why having a secular uk government is good

>where in the bible does it teach to take it literally, or to never deny that jesus was magical
What do you think we mean when we say we don't want religion and goverment intertwined?

someone would have to interpret the bible and then make laws based on that, you might disagree with what rules they would make but now those rules would be law

do you not see what that is not a good idea?

>you're giving me examples of eastern cultures, all i'm asking for is one reason why having a secular uk government is good
so you don't get put in prison for not being whatever religion the UK adopts

how old are you?

Honestly, I don't know enough about the modern UK government to answer that.

i don't think the bible teaches anything that isn't valuable to be applied in law and ethics

does Christianity teach to destroy or punish those who don't follow your own religion?

This has got to be a fucking joke.

You faggots are worse than the fucking vegans, jesus.

Great argument.

Can we keep this thread on track instead of diving into religious arguments? What are you wearing today? What are you saving for?

Wearing the Sinn and saving for either a Junghans, Habring, Tudor, or JLC.

>i don't think the bible teaches anything that isn't valuable to be applied in law and ethics

what to do with women who have had sex before being married according to the bible:

she shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father's house. You must purge the evil from among you.

deut 22:21

>in before "but that does not count"

it's in the bible, do you want the government interpreting it to make laws?

ok i've been a little stumped
perhaps not all points from the bible would make good laws directly, but i still do think that the bible and religion is a good influence on society and where to base laws and ethics. i think it'd be a mistake to entirely secularise the government and society

literally no one wants to talk about this shit but you, you flaming fucking faggot