Will we ever get another Windows this fucking good? 7 was the absolute tits and everyone loved it

Will we ever get another Windows this fucking good? 7 was the absolute tits and everyone loved it.

Other urls found in this thread:

account.theregister.co.uk/register/?product=theregister_newsletter&r=https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/05/flat_uis_designs_are_22_per_cent_slower_official/
theregister.co.uk/2017/09/05/flat_uis_designs_are_22_per_cent_slower_official/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

win7 was not good, it was only better than vista

install linux (with a little gnu)

You have to be at least 12 y. o. to visit this website.
Windows 7 became "good" only after Windows 8 release.

7 was the best Windows since 2000. XP was shit and Vista was mediocre. 8 was shit and 10 is shit.

Never. Microsoft now understand Windows as a "service".

7 is basically Vista SP3 promoted as a new OS because Vista name was already ruined.

this

Windows 10.

Windows 7 was the first good version of Windows.

You could try installing Linux + KDE + Wine
Linux is a superior kernel and experience in general to windows.
KDE does a pretty good job replicating the Vista+ Windows desktop experience (complete with tons of stupid bugs). opensuse is probably your best bet for a normie KDE distro.
You can run most Windows games through wine, though the performance in games is mediocre because OpenGL sucks. I've only had compatibility issues in some early 2000s windows games (a lot of those games have compatibility issues on vista+ windows anyway)

Alternatively, ReactOS exists and seems like it's at the point where it can run some windows applications. Games performance should be on par with Windows because you can use the native windows graphics drivers.
I'd estimate it'll be a decade before reactOS is good enough to replace windows.

1/10

-1/10

POO

I'm familiar with literally all the software you've listed, but thanks anyway. I prefer MATE as my linux GUI of choice. I've been following ReactOS for many years. I've used WINE, it's okay.

I hope daddy Putin pours more money into it.

-10/10.

apart from reducing dependence on foreign software, what possible motivation could he have for funding reactOS? trying to hide backdoors in open source software is difficult and it's probably not worth the effort for an OS where most of the users are dual booting from Linux to play video games.

>I prefer MATE as my linux GUI of choice
MATE and XFCE seem like the best 2 out of the available DEs.
I use XFCE + Chicago95 theme, which makes it look like Windows 95.

Oh daddy give me that old school windows aesthetic, looking up Chicago95 at the mother fucking speed of light.

I want a good windows 2000 replica, pic extremely related

I would have preferred Windows 98 or Windows 2000 aesthetic over Windows 95 because those are the two I grew up with, but no one's made a theme like that and I hate creating themes too much to do it myself.

W10 LTSB is just as good

I grew up with all but 2k had obviously the most advanced/feature-full classic GUI of the three.

Win2k was good, XP was shit, XP SP2 was as good as 2k. Vista was the beginning of duplication in the user interface and each subsequent release made it worse. While 7 was technically superior, the UI was a step back from either 2k or XP.

This, honestly. The UI may have looked nice but underneath it's a clusterfuck. It still is in Windows 10 too, but with the Enterprise LTSB there are some significant UI improvements. The only thing wrong with Windows 10 is the nu-settings metro app that shouldn't even exist. They need to finish it or go back to the control panel only.

I really just want ReactOS with the Windows 7 UI and Windows 10 features like virtual desktops and notifications hub built in. Linux sucks ass because of systemd.

I have to help manage a Win7 environment of over 3,000 machines. It is a fucking nightmare OS.

>tfw 1 windows 7 icon had more detail that the whole windows 10 ui combined

welcome to the flat, shitty-ass future. rasters will be banned. literally everything will be monochrome vectors.

8.1 was improved over 8.
8.1 > 7.

Man it looks like a kids toy looking back

you're just used to everything looking fucking flat now

What is reactOS struggling with? The kernel or the win32 userland?

Just installed 7 a few days ago, I'm tired of Windows 10 bullshit

probably just trying to mimic a large scale proprietary OS with the support of a few unpaid volunteer developers. (probably the kernel but idk)

>not using ltsb
I just configured my updates in such a way that every single one needs my approval before downloading. Including security updates.

Yeah, but I figure that most of Windows is actually just bloat. If they get the kernel right, can't we just copy over propriety system DLLs from windows and make them work?

>I really just want ReactOS with the Windows 7 UI
Windows 95/98/2000 UI was the best UI.

>Windows 10 features like virtual desktops and notifications hub built in.
Are virtual desktops the same as workspaces in XFCE?
Notification hubs are horrible. I used the one that came with KDE for a while; it was horrible and application developers rely on it, so you can't just turn it off.

>Linux sucks ass because of systemd.
Why are you on Sup Forums if you're this stupid? If you don't want systemd, then just get a fucking distro that doesn't have systemd, like Slackware or Devuan.

I suspect they're having trouble getting the userland libraries compatible with Windows. Windows has over 20 years of terribly written userland libraries and ReactOS and WINE have to support every feature from those libraries, even if they're undocumented or bugs, otherwise Windows applications may encounter situations that were impossible on Windows, entering untested code paths.
I don't have much experience with ReactOS though. I mainly just use WINE because I'm too lazy to dual boot and only play old games.

that'd require owning a copy of windows if you wanted to be legal. they're trying to do a clean-room recreation of the whole damn NT kernel from scratch as well as userland and everything. so that you never need any paid/proprietary software in the first place.

The problem is that they have to write it all from scratch while maintaining compatibility with win32 programs and drivers, which is an absurdly difficult task considering Microsoft devs hacked this shit pile together in the late 90s and have never really bothered to do a full rewrite. It's pretty amazing that Windows doesn't have more kernel vulnerabilities than we see now, or like we saw in the early days of NT all the way up to Vista. A lot of people fail to realize that their source model is closed not because they want to be dicks, but actually for security, and they say this themselves. The entire kernel design is flawed but they've trapped themselves into a corner with promises of backwards compatibility with 15-20 year old software. Sup Forums is absolutely right when they say that Linux is more secure, because all of that source code is out in the open for people to pick apart. Microsoft can't open source Windows until it dies off and they make it into the next Solaris.

>that'd require owning a copy of windows if you wanted to be legal
I don't want it to be legal, I want a windows where I can be sure that there is no shady shit going on in the kernel. But thanks to BMCs like Intel ME or AMD PSP this is null and void anyhow. Fuck modern computing, I'll write a Sup Forums client for my C64 and just shitpost from there.

>Windows NT becomes next Solaris
oh god I can only dream. what will the major fork be named? OpenNT?

>considering Microsoft devs hacked this shit pile together in the late 90s and have never really bothered to do a full rewrite
Wasn't NT developed and designed mostly by IBM? How do you know that NT is a shitty kernel, have you seen the code?

>he doesn't shitpost from his commodore 64
holy fuck Sup Forums is getting worse by the day

>Windows 95/98/2000 UI was the best UI.
I disagree.

>Are virtual desktops the same as workspaces in XFCE?
No, not really. There's keyboard shortcuts and other neat stuff involved in the Windows 10 version. XFCE just puts clickable boxes on the panel and lets you scroll the desktop, which is pretty shitty.

>Notification hubs are horrible. I used the one that came with KDE for a while
The one in Windows 10 is closer to the one on Budgie.

>If you don't want systemd, then just get a fucking distro that doesn't have systemd, like Slackware or Devuan
Those are unstable hobbyist toys. Slackware can't even manage package dependencies for me. We aren't living in 1980 and I don't want to fuck with every little thing by myself. It's stupid. I use Windows 10 LTSB and OpenBSD because they actually work as intended without too much hassle.

Someone should take an FPGA and make a Sup Forums cartridge. Will hiro sue me for selling that for a profit?

I think it would just be OpenWindows or OpenNT or something like that.

>have you seen the code?
I saw some of it from the stuff that was leaked from Win2k. It's not the best.

What happens to x86 desktop computing once windows dies?

What do you mean? There's still Linux, BSD, OS X, and other systems with decades of legacy software out there for x86.

>The only thing wrong with Windows 10 is the nu-settings metro app that shouldn't even exist.

I wouldn't forget the massive ass reaming that is privacy, licencing and account management on 10.

But what about video games!

GNU/Hurd takes over, duh.

>implying flat/metro/modern/material is bad

Why is writing a microkernel considered hard? Is RMS just a brainlet? I've never written a kernel but U have reviewed the low level x86 literature and it doesn't seems that hard.

desu senpai i kinda like 10, just from a comfort/aesthetic standpoint

Was it? I wouldn't know, I went from vista straight to 8.1

>implying flat/metro/modern/material is good

Same. I fucking hate that late 2000s glossy look.

When there's no real need for it, why would anyone bother making it?

The HURD failed because Linux was available. That's really all there is to it. Linux was released under the right license for GNU, so there was no need for the extra manpower.

windows 10 is better in literally, not figuratively but literally, every way.

>implying it's good

I prefer my windows 10 LTSB, it's perfect, I've tried linux many times and i liked it too but i needed windows specifically for certain programs that wine couldn't do, but if anyone wants a solid distro Zorin Os is the **only** distro worth looking into, its ubuntu based and functions great, don't have to do anything extra for it like other ones, mint is pretty trash too, and nobody ever recommend Antergos, that shit is cancer for new comers, but yeah windows 10 LTSB or windows 7 are the only good windows in existence, windows 8 too i guess if you wanna mess with shit to make it look good

Most old games work better on Linux than they do on newer Windows.

Wish MS would've just gone back to this style gui if they wanted to be all "minimalist" instead of the shit and useless bloat that is Ten. Kept the good bits, you know expanded h/w support, but used what worked (gui/startmenu/etc) in 2k days. Windows 7 works fine. Least you can navigate around it easy compared to the shit pile that is Ten. But oh well, MS didn't, and the blacklash is what they get. Keep Windows 7 for long time, nothing wrong with it.

I disagree about the UI, cool for nostalgia but i wouldn't use it as my daily driver UI

It's no different than previous versions of Windows from the last decade. Only the Home and Pro versions of 10 are significantly worse in that they have double the data collection and built in ads and other shitware.

Who the fuck cares? Games are for children.

>nearly 30 years and it isn't even usable
I'm a little less than a year into my own hobbyist hybrid kernel and it's already able to run on real hardware fairly well using a compatibility layer I wrote to utilize Linux drivers. GNU/Turd isn't happening.

It's not hard at all, and yes, RMS is a fucking brainlet.

>No, not really.

Yes, they are. Keyboard shortcuts galore, separate desktops. You're incorrect.

>I use Windows 10 LTSB and OpenBSD because they actually work as intended without too much hassle.

I'm beginning to suspect you have personal bias against non-Windows operating systems. Your opinion is not very objective.

I'd caution most anons not to listen to you.

Somebody doesn't understand sarcasm.

>Who the fuck cares? Games are for children.
GET THE FUCK OUT

I think you quoted the wrong posts.

I really just have a bias against anything using systemd because Poettering is an incompetent faggot that hates sane defaults. There's no good reason for the EFI vars to get mounted with write access. You do not need to reboot the machine to the BIOS from the OS.

Welcome to autism.

Go back to Sup Forums

windows 7 was just a vista rebrand. literally every single "feature" was from vista. except some bad memes like the stupid dock-bar, sausage finger-lists and home network whatever.

they even degraded it in certain ways like
>no internet search from start
>no direct link to virtualstore folder in explorer
>ie8 dropped opensearch beacuse of reasons

enjoy your $500 service pack

windows 7 is ass

Does stuff like D3D Retained mode work on wine? I've had trouble getting some of my childhood games like Lego Rockraiders to work on anything past XP.

>No, not really. There's keyboard shortcuts and other neat stuff involved in the Windows 10 version. XFCE just puts clickable boxes on the panel and lets you scroll the desktop, which is pretty shitty.
You can set keyboard shortcuts to do any DE/WM action in XFCE. I have keyboard shortcuts to switch desktops.
>The one in Windows 10 is closer to the one on Budgie.
The concept of notification systems is cancer. Applications will just send you bullshit. I used Windows 10 at work and I got notifications about switching to IE Edge and other trash that doesn't merit being a notification.
>Those are unstable hobbyist toys.
>implying a debian based distro is unstable
>implying a either is less stable than windows
Do you need a fortune 500 company using your distro before you can consider it to not be a hobbyist toy? You can still get just about anything done in either of those distros that you can in a systemd distro without much extra work.
How many crashes have you experienced on Slackware and Devuan?
>Slackware can't even manage package dependencies for me
If that's an issue, then don't use Slackware. Use Devuan, Void, Alpine, GuixSD, Gentoo, etc. There are plenty of good systemd free distros.
I've used Gentoo and Alpine quite a bit and they're no worse than systemd distros.
>I use Windows 10 LTSB and OpenBSD because they actually work as intended without too much hassle.
>OpenBSD
I also use OpenBSD. The software availability is not great, which means you have to fuck around a lot more than on your typical systemd-free linux distro.

>windows 6.1

you could use wrappers like voodoodg, dxwnd or ddwrapper etc. to translate old deprecated api's into dx11

Tried that. It's a mess.

does anyone understand the naming? after 3 you had 95 (4), 98 (5), a bunch of Windows NT releases (6), 2000 (7), ME but this should be forgotten (8), XP (9), vista (10), and then WINDOWS FUCKEN 7. Also they skipped 9 after 8.1, and if it's actually due to 9x naming problems then holy fuck that's pathetic.

"Xbox One" tells you all you need to know about the dumbshits over at MS in charge of the naming department

windows xp is ass

Xp was better

It is DEMONSTRABLY bad, newfag:account.theregister.co.uk/register/?product=theregister_newsletter&r=https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/05/flat_uis_designs_are_22_per_cent_slower_official/

kek'd, fair point

link you were trying to get:
theregister.co.uk/2017/09/05/flat_uis_designs_are_22_per_cent_slower_official/

>the performance issues are caused by the visual design and not the underlying implementation
You are not a programmer, are you?

>being unable to read

It's not about performance issues. Flat GUIs don't "pop" and therefore using/navigating them takes more time and effort from the human brain, making you less productive while using them. 4/10 I replied

>>The mania for "flat" user interfaces is costing publishers and ecommerce sites billions in lost revenue.

A "flat" design removes the distinction between navigation controls and content. Historically, navigation controls such as buttons were shaded, or given 3D relief, to distinguish them from the application or web page's content.

The mania is credited to Microsoft with its minimalistic Zune player, an iPod clone, which was developed into the Windows Phone Series UX, which in turn became the design for Windows from Windows 8 in 2012 onwards. But Steve Jobs is also to blame. The typography-besotted Apple founder was fascinated by WP's "magazine-style" Metro design, and it was posthumously incorporated into iOS7 in 2013. Once blessed by Apple, flat designs spread to electronic programme guides on telly, games consoles and even car interfaces. And of course web sites.

Flat designs looked "cleaner" and more "modern" (Microsoft's subsequent portmanteau term for its Metro design), but there was a price to pay.

The consequence is that users find navigation harder, and so spend more time on a page. Now research by the Nielsen Norman Group has measured by how much. The company wired up 71 users, and gave them nine sites to use, tracking their eye movement and recording the time spent on content.

"On average participants spent 22 per cent more time (i.e. slower task performance) looking at the pages with weak signifiers," the firm notes. Why would that be? Users were looking for clues how to navigate. "The average number of fixations was significantly higher on the weak-signifier versions than the strong-signifier versions. On average, people had 25 per cent more fixations on the pages with weak signifiers." (register.com)

Sorry, I'm a retard. I only read the link and not the actual headline. Why are they different to begin with?

the link is shortened and skips words
it should be very obvious to you that UI will have negligible performance impact anyway

You should definitely continue to select software based on looks. That's an excellent strategy for success.

There is literally only one time where flat is good.

We're never getting another windows again.

Windows XP was the best version of Windows. Prove me wrong, you can't.

Who died and made you God? Justify.

flat design is not the problem. lazy design is. the original flat design of zune was genius. then the execs discovered they could mock up "flat" designs in powerpoint and fired the designers.

insecure duplo

Thanks

Yes, it is. Previous UI research is what resulted in non-flat, skeumorphic designs being built in the first place.

Then, the dying Jobs, his butt-boy Jony and a nation full of burgers who can't separate fact from fiction foisted this shit, typographic design "style", which places form over function, on the rest of us.

Never.
Microsoft is no longer interested in selling operating systems.
Now they only want to sell your personal data.

>implying it's not a loss of both form and function
Anyone who thinks pic related doesn't look good as fuck is objectively incorrect