Why should anyone build their own PC and install pfsense?

Why should anyone build their own PC and install pfsense?

Are there any benefits to it?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/htilonom/status/757528242324697088
imgur.com/a/AE0Qn
twitter.com/fitchitis/status/757276890256343040
marc.info/?t=136735045200001&r=1&w=2
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=140481119326245&w=2
imgur.com/a/efYkv
github.com/pfsense/pfsense/commit/33f0b0d57160b6335d586f78229730464c6583ce#diff-b48bdab1db8f78638fbf6c7d98a01172L11
twitter.com/allanjude/status/446816099280375808
twitter.com/cbuechler/status/463564413815889920
imgur.com/a/aWL6l
pastebin.com/kvTwuWds
twitter.com/htilonom/status/762900038892789760
forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=2552.msg11656#msg11656
i.imgur.com/mMlf8Ze.png
i.imgur.com/HRyC4wK.png
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPNsense
en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?limit=50&title=Special:Contributions&contribs=user&target=netfitch&namespace=&tagfilter=&start=&end=
en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?limit=50&title=Special:Contributions&contribs=user&target=Joswp&namespace=&tagfilter=&start=&end=
github.com/opnsense/core/commit/4638d99c0a51a3286f324f0036310e95ce81fef2
github.com/pfsense/pfsense/commit/10e2acb5f02ec54562d7d8d08ff0be71d5df640d
forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=129842.0
wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=D2017-1828
securityrouter.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Performance

Though building your own is more difficult unless you don't give a shit about efficiency, then just throw together a cheap desktop. True Pfesense builds are ideally going to be ultra-low power draw as it's a device that will likely be running 24/7 for months at a time.

The trick is finding the best price for performance and power draw that will meet your needs.

I have 1gbps fiber both 1gbps up and down. Buying a consumer router for these speeds would set me back $250-400+ depending on the features I want.
OR I can setup a low power pfsense box for similar money and have something I can customize however I like with any number of packages for any sort of network duty I'd want my pfsense box to do.

It's been the most reliable router i've ever had.
Soldered ITX celeron board with 2gb of ram and my record for uptime is a year before I remembered to update it.

But it literally sucks more power than normal routers, and it costs more

It literally provides more performance on the high end.

For anything under 500mbps you're probably right.

But for higher performance routing you can get pretty close to or even beat commercial offerings with Pfsense.

ESPECIALLY if you're looking for something capable of doing 500mbps+ VPN throughput or IPsec.

So really, just depends what sort of router you need.

I used to use different routers that would just fucking die when trying t seed more than 50 torrents. Set up a pfsense router and I was able to seed 2000 torrents at once with no router performance impact.

So what parts did you use to set up a pfsense router? I don't really have that much space in the cabinet where the ISP cable is

I took a 2004 Tower PC from work that was going to be thrown away and grabbed a couple Intel NICs off Amazon (recommended by the pfsense forums) and ran with that. Worked great until I got gigabit internet, when the PCI lanes' max speed of 800Mbit limited the internet speed to 400Mbit (400 In + 400 Out). Now there's a 2010 tower that was going to be thrown out by my work that's running it.

what's the model name of the 2010 tower case?

Lenovo Ideacentre K410

I would never go out and buy one. I just acquired one for free.

it looks quite big, do you have any recommendations for anything smaller than that? if you had to buy one, what case would you get for pfsense

I have it in the corner of my huge basement. Pic related.

Questions like that should be taken to the pfsense forums. Either people here don't know the answer, or they have meme answers.

I built a computer but used Untangle NG Firewall vs pfsense. Great little box.

pfsense? None.
opnsense? Now we're talking.

why tho

Look into the history of the fork / reasons for forking.
Also, monowall's author (which pfsense originated from) recommends opnsense.
Personally? I can only see pfSense as a commercial offering that's open source and makes money via support contracts. I've tried it and it's unorthogonal garbage that will happily fill its filesystem and corrupt itself.
Opnsense is as close and well integrated with freebsd as possible, aiming at the ideal situation of being just a package you can install into freebsd like any other, rather than being a hackjob of a freebsd distro.

i don't have the time to do all of that though

give me the tl;dr

animeposters are usually dumb about 99% of the time so i'm going to need actual objective comparisons that can be backed up with evidence that pfsense is inferior

Then start reading. The animeposters's advice is the next best thing.

Uhm okay, let's see if the animeposter is right for once. Oh, it turns out he isn't. He's very wrong, and "opnsense" is famous for being a scam apparently. Also the author of opnsense is a manchild. Hmm, animeposters are famous for being manchildren too.

Here's a nice summary on just how toxic personality Franco from OPNsense really is.
twitter.com/htilonom/status/757528242324697088
Here's how Franco's mindset works. He bitches about "bullying" and then he starts to provoke others:
imgur.com/a/AE0Qn
twitter.com/fitchitis/status/757276890256343040
Another example is his "activities" on OpenBSD mailing lists:
marc.info/?t=136735045200001&r=1&w=2
Or here's Franco showing his true face after he was asked to LEAVE the lists:
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=140481119326245&w=2
And here's a Franco being told by Theo de Raadt to get of their list:
imgur.com/a/efYkv
Here's Franco attempting to create drama on pfSense github, despite being proven wrong:
github.com/pfsense/pfsense/commit/33f0b0d57160b6335d586f78229730464c6583ce#diff-b48bdab1db8f78638fbf6c7d98a01172L11
Or few years ago when Franco was just getting started on drama:
twitter.com/allanjude/status/446816099280375808
twitter.com/cbuechler/status/463564413815889920
Screenshots in case of deletion: imgur.com/a/aWL6l
And there are many, many other examples both here on this /r/opnscam sub that document Franco's attempts to organize Wikipedia abuse, him admitting he tried to register pfSense trademark in EU and so on.
OPNsense - toxic community around toxic project created by toxic people

>opnsense haters discussing drama instead of technical.
Success breeds jealousy.

damn dude, I appreciate a good basement corner and all but shouldn't you at least put them up on a board or a cinder block?

And here's more pastebin.com/kvTwuWds

Preview:
After I called out Franco about his "innovation" twitter.com/htilonom/status/762900038892789760
Franco got a little ranty and wrote a few gems:
forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=2552.msg11656#msg11656
Google translate: i.imgur.com/mMlf8Ze.png
Where among loads of his spins about how he actually likes pfSense (but not so much pfSense copyrights) Franco wrote this beaut:
i.imgur.com/HRyC4wK.png
Yep, Franco officially claims it's thanks to him and his weekend project pfSense moved from ESF license to Apache license!!! I can't even compute this level of stupidity and maliciously served disinformation.
OPNsense and Franco started the whole "pfSense isn't open source" crapfest in the first place, so naturally, they now claim pfSense changed license because of them. Fact is, pfSense was always open source, and if it wasn't OSS, OPNsense wouldn't exist. And if you compare the "old" ESF license to Apache license, you'll notice the licenses are identical. pfSense even wrote a blog post about it explaining about their license update. Specifically:
Where the 2-Clause and 3-Clause BSD licenses provides no direct language around the areas of copyright, patents and trademarks, the Apache License does. The Apache License is very clear that individual contributors grant copyright license to anyone who receives the code, that their contribution is free from patent encumbrances (and if it is not, that they license that patent to anyone who receives the code,) and that use of Trademarks extends only as far as is necessary to use the product. As a reminder, only genuine pfSense software can bear the registered trademark of pfSense. It also includes a patent termination clause, should a lawsuit arise.

>Sup Forumstard picture
>sub 80 IQ logic
>reading comprehension on par with a 9 year old that just learned the alphabet

must be a coincidence heh

Opnsense was made by a drama whoring manchild, you fucking cretin. The fact you can't name a single thing that Opnsense does better than Pfsense should convince everyone that Opnsense is a big fucking joke and the retards using it should be laughed at.

get yourself a used SuperMicro super server off ebay a 4 core atom will have more than enough power for any residential use.

>freebsd
pf3 + some bloat. Mature, solid, decent performance. The base os of junos, pfsense, opnsense.
>dragonfly bsd
pf3, concurrent lockless servers, lowest latency, highest throughput, the absolute winner performance-wise.
>openbsd
pf4. Cleanest. Safest. Performance is unfortunately nonstellar.
>linux
Linux network stack. The worst. Absolute garbage.
>posts more nontechnical crap.
kys

For flooding reasons?

>nontechnical crap

All of it is technical though. But I wouldn't expect a Sup Forumstard like you to be able to understand any of it.

>posts political drama to discredit a project
>gets called on it
>claims the political drama is technical
>says that the guy calling him on his bullshit is a Sup Forumstard
sasuga Sup Forums retard.

who would've guessed the animeposter is a literal mouthbreathing autist parroting words that other anons call him as

amount of dicks you've sucked: infinite
amount of arguments you've provided: 0
amount of evidence to support your claim that opnsense is superior: 0

Is it viable to build a PC with laptop computers, since power draw is a concern?

I'm a different guy looking into opnsense, but found this:
>In November 2017, a World Intellectual Property Organization panel found that Netgate, the copyright owner of pfSense, had been using the domain opnsense.com in bad faith to discredit OPNsense, and obligated Netgate to transfer the domain to Deciso. The Netgate party tried to invoke the fair use clause and claimed that the domain name "has been used for a parody website"; it was rejected on the basis that free speech does not cover registration of domain names.[6]
>from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPNsense
Isn't this drama reversed vs what you claim? pfsense guys registering the opnsense.com domain and using it to troll opnsense? Just what kind of person or organization would go that. I wouldn't go anywhere near pfsense, based on this alone.

Holy shit user.
pfsense are scum.

I'm reading the article now.

>Much to our surprise we received an email on September 26, 2017 stating that the owner of this domain was in fact Jamie Thompson, Rubicon Communications dba Netgate also known for the competing pfSense project.

I'm pretty sure Opnsense said they're not competing with pfSense. Almost 100%; because it says in Opsense's policy.
The two main developers for Opnsense have done questionable things on Wikipedia too, such as, editing out the entire page for pfSense with malicious intent and advertisements for Opnsense.

en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?limit=50&title=Special:Contributions&contribs=user&target=netfitch&namespace=&tagfilter=&start=&end=
en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?limit=50&title=Special:Contributions&contribs=user&target=Joswp&namespace=&tagfilter=&start=&end=

Also, apparently Opnsense tried to steal pfSense's trademark in Europe. Pic related.

Opnsense stealing aka copy pasting code from the "competing" pfSense project. Shouldn't a fork use their own code?

github.com/opnsense/core/commit/4638d99c0a51a3286f324f0036310e95ce81fef2
github.com/pfsense/pfsense/commit/10e2acb5f02ec54562d7d8d08ff0be71d5df640d

Opnsense is a shitty project maintained by pathetic drama whores.

You can put router firmware with enterprise features on commodity hardware that will handle more connections than extremely expensive enterprise hardware.

but the code is different? lmao

Repeating a lie doesn't make it real.

Fuck off to Sup Forums already, you worthless uneducated failure of amphibian shit.

>getting this mad

i was thinking about using opnsense but if this is how you, representing their community, behaves when someone proves you wrong, then i'm going to look elsewhere. i'm not even the person you're arguing but seeing how defensive you are regarding opnsense, i'd say it'd be very wise of me to not pick up opnsense or anything made by their developers

this is possibly a netgate shill thread but no.
pfsense has gone shady since netgate bought them and changed the license away from bsd. They made aes-ni mandatory in future versions. Users questioning the direction of pfsense regarding license and the vendor feature lock-in was shut down.
forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=129842.0

Netgate even registered opnsense.com to discretid the opnsense project.
wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=D2017-1828

>want pfSense
>buy HP thinclient and antenna
>install pfSense
>pfSense can't find my network
>reinstall and troubleshoot for 3 hours
>finally realize pfSense doesn't work with AC network cards

Into the trash it goes.

Sounds like you really wanted DD-WRT

I wanted NAS, a decent firewall, and VPN.

obviously that's not all you wanted

WHEN WILL THERE BE A PFSENSE THAT RUNS ON TOP OF OPENBSD!!???1111

securityrouter.org/

If you use a low-power Braswell/Apollo Lake/etc. processor, it's maybe $5/year more in electricity. Your router will rarely crack above 10% utilization anyways.