/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Prices are fucked edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM: Manufacturers are price-fixing; increase any budget you think you have.
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards: Good Luck, everything is like $1000 now.
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jk1kX-Tdi1Y
canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_1326&item_id=105222
ebay.com/itm/372197946815
amazon.com/dp/B002RWJGI6/?tag=pcpapi-20
pcpartpicker.com/product/Lbhj4D/cryorig-cpu-cooler-c7
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Where do I find a Dell OptiPlex 790 Mini Tower chassis only? I cant find one that isn't overpriced with all the components still in it.

I want to build a sleeper PC based off that chassis

Why the fuck didn't the crash from 2 days ago crush crypto niggers?

A crash is a new opportunity for extra fags to enter the game.

Prices won't drop for ages anyway senpai, they're taking you for a ride.

Because the crash happens every January.

Is this psu good? I just bought it.

>all of my parts have arrived
>getting set up to start building
>forgot that I am still waiting for the conversion bracket for my cooler
FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

>RGB
>RGB in a fucking power supply of all things

Seppuku is the only solution.

>tfw you've been memeing around in these threads off and on for the last 6 months and are now only two weeks away from ordering parts

Who /optimistic/ here :D

I have it with the LED off as my case has a psu cover, didn't buy it because of the meme rgb but because it fitted my on budget.

I'm /closetocracking/. Thinking of going full retard and just buying a 1950X instead of waiting for Zen+.

Do it, take the plunge.

>tfw your CPU costs more than my build

(._. )

I don't handle hype very well. My question to myself at this point is: Is 10% more performance worth 3 more months of blue balls?

I have short patience as well so

DO IT
O
I
T

> yfw Nvida make Volta cards god tier for gaming and completely shit for mining

>sleeper PC

I want to play games at ultra, 1080p 120 fps. What kind of GPU do I need for that? 1070? Is 1080 overkill?

Also, for purely selfish reasons, how does the 970 compare?

which game

1080 is definitely overkill. On most games I can get 120+ fps on high at 1440p

Games. I mostly play indie and old games but I do want to play AAA games too.

This is something I don’t think of as a worksafe request, does anyone know how to hack video game accounts? There may be payment arranged for you to do so.

Thread theme for artificial price hikes and coincidental low stock.
youtu.be/jk1kX-Tdi1Y

lol

>mfw black Friday 2017
>>BUY 8600k for 250$
>>>rog strix 1080 for 520$
>>gb ddr4 3200 8gb x 2 for 160$
Feels good man
Why does the industry chose profit over making PC affordable to the masses

>>>>>>price tripled on most my gear

What the fuck is this new RGB meme when lights inside a case are a thing for quite some time now

Okay, I guess I'll go with 1080 then. What CPU should I go with? Will a ryzen 1600 be enough, or should I push up to 1700?

>why does the industry chose profit over....
The industry always chooses profit user

1600 works fine for me.
At least when overclocked to 3.8GHz

Do you know anyone? Does anyone know anyone? There may be a profit involved

yes I know someone but this is sad
>crackwhore or stepford smiler?
I know which I would choose

>hack video game accounts

>yfw Volta is never developed as a gaming platform

Looking at these prices, I'm glad I built my PC a month ago. Holy hell. Why is GPU mining even still a thing?

Because idiots think they can sit at home and have a mining rig make money for them.

I left my GPU for last and by the same I saved up for a 1060, prices jumped back up again.

I feel really fucking dumb now.

I got my 1060 6GB for $210 on a black friday sale, now the same one is in the high 400s

>tfw can't even find a decent deal on ebay and craigslist
>all these assholes selling low end cards for double what they are worth

I did see one dude selling a used 1050TI for 130 which seemed fair but by the time I called, he sold it already to (you guessed it) a fucking miner, who cleaned out all the microcenters here

track him down and firebomb his shit

I don’t need to know for anything besides gaming advantage. I don’t want to spill the whole beans on it, but I aim to be the best player not the best hacking of account-erer that’s lame

If you can get in contact with me I would appreciate it, I’m not up to anything bad just the lols

Lads, which one of Toshiba, Seagate, and Hitachi is least likely to shit itself for a 3TB HDD?

>buying a thermaltake PSU

It’s literally for nothing other than gaming purposes in a game that suits the ability to do so

There is literally nothing wrong with a TT PSU

Am I sensing that there’s some issues involving principle involved with messaging me back? I am principled. If you give me a way to get in touch with you I will hit you up. Money to play a video game the fun way. You guys can check me out too if you care that much.

lol

sure post your steam acc

user...stop

How bad is tearing or stutter if i use a 1070 with a freesync 144hz 1440p monitor?

Freesync doesn't matter.
You won't get tearing with a 1070 because a 1070 won't consistently hit 144hz on 1440p.
As for stuttering, that depends on the game and your frametime.

>You won't get tearing with a 1070 because a 1070 won't consistently hit 144hz on 1440p.
doesn't tearing occur when you're not at native refresh e.g. if you're at anything lower than 144?

Can I take the two m.2 ssds from my old laptop and put them in my PC? They're in raid 0 I believe and I'll just format them

Tearing happens when you go above the limitations of the monitor.
Majority of youtube videos are 30hz. You probably own a 60hz monitor. Do you get tearing watching a youtube video?

Yes that's right and you will get tearing without variable refresh. He's wrong. Your fps doesn't have to be higher than native, just different.

Please explain how the fuck do you get tearing if your FPS is below the monitor frequency.

Steam account is dipsyscarlet
I don’t got any money lol
I’m getting my computer back from the shop in a day or two, add me and I’ll message you when I get on.

Its caused by the output and your monitor refresh being unsynchronised. Any amount variable either way. It is however much worse over than under as the quantity of mishaps is obviously larger.

you can get tearing when below native refresh. digital foundry test a lot of console games and a lot of them have adaptive vysnc and the game tears when below native refresh and their analyses shows this. i get tearing when i play ac:origins without vsync on my 60hz monitor even if i lock it to 59hz and i also get tearing in yakuza 0 on ps4 when the fps drops.

>Unsynchronised
Lmao. So if I have a 60hz monitor and I watch a 30hz youtube video. I expect tearing to appear in my video?

Looking for a monitor that I can program (i.e. to change brightness with keyboard).

This is fucking 2018.

not him but iirc if your fps is a multiple of the native refresh then you won't get tearing which is why they say you should lock your fps at 120 fps in cs:go if you have a 60hz monitor because it doesn't exhibit frame skipping and/or tearing since it's a multiple of 30/60. you will get tearing if you're running at 40 fps though. i experience it all the time.

Correct.
above is why vsync will drop you to 30 if you aren't hitting 60.

literally any monitor with macro keys

>bake lighting
>absolutely destroying my build
>Quad core i7 @ 4ghz
>16GB ram
>GTX 1070

Consumer parts aren't doing the job. Am I going to need a workstation mobo + cpu?

Same. I bought my 1070 a month ago, comfy af.

canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_1326&item_id=105222

Is this RAM worth the price? About $360 CAD after tax. Is there a cheaper alternative for similar clock speeds and timings?

>only missing case for my build
I hope my Define R6 pre-order on Newegg gets filled soon.

If it was me, I'd just put everything together and sit the MoBo on the packaging box with the PSU upside down next to it.

Are there any decent ~256gb SSD for under $50?

>atx case in current year
IDIOT

Elaborate

>mfw I just got paid to put a 1070 in my 50 year old neighbor's computer
>an ibuypower pc
>for the purpose of mining
GODDAMN NORMIES YOURE THE REASON I CANT BUY A GPU FOR ITS ACTUAL FUCKING PURPOSE. JUST INVEST IN AN ASIC MINER YOU CUNTS, OR BETTER YET, JUST TRADE THE FUCKING THINGS ON AN EXCHANGE. I HOPE IT BURNS HIS HOUSE DOWN, CHRIST

no need for a big case when you won't use more than 1 pci-e slot.

>implying
You might not, but I've got four out of seven used on mine.

w e w,

explain what are in these lanes.

how are the black levels on QLED monitors compared to the other kinds (IPS, TN, VA, etc)?

qled is va.

How good should a processor be if I already have a Radeon rx580?
Used for Blender,PUBG,ARMA3, and less intensive games.
Thought about Intel rather than Ryzen, either i5 8400 or i5 8600k. Ist that good? Are other CPUs better for my use case without breaking the bank?

hp spectre x360 or dell xps 13?

do QLED monitors have the same fancy backlight from the TVs?

R5 1600

Any specific reason for that? Op seems to hunt at 8400 as better unless multithreaded use case and except for my blender renderings Arma and pubg don't seem to like amd quite as much.

A pair of GTX780s spanned across 6 slots (2 blanks between them with one space to the PSU) running 16 lanes each. Then there's an option to run a wireless card or an m.2 mounting card should I feel the need.
What ever hipster tier ITX case you're trying to peddle doesn't allow for such expandability.

Wait for Ryzen 2 or fuck it and get a CPU now?

>wifi
built into my mobo
>2x 780s
my 1080ti outperforms those and is quieter/cooler at the same time
>m.2 mounting card
m.2 slots exist on new boards

Everything you have can be put into mATX or ITX.

>inb4 sound card
use a DAC pleb

Ryzen 2, it's less than 2 months away.

>Ryzen 2
Will it be worth it is the true question.
When Vega got released people waited, too and it was rather underwhelming

Yea and people waited for ryzen too

>paying for the ITX jew ontop of already massively inflated cost
maybe my next build

Fair point

>it suits my needs!
Good for you. Like I said Your scenario=!everyone's scenario.

I want to replace my shitty intel stock fan. It's loud.

Recommend me a cheap and SILENT fan. It doesn't need to be very powerful, since it's only an i3 4130 and the most intense thing I do is league of legends.

212 evo has been the budget king for years at ~$20/25
check if it fits in your case though

Ryzen 2 will have IPC of skylake or higher with 2x as many cores for 1/3 the price. The only reason intel has had better performance is because of their security flaws kek.

it's a good feeling carrying your pc under your arm, people think its going to be shit because its tiny but then the nerds get butt blasted when its 100x powerful than their pcs

you suck nerd

If that is what ends up happening I'd be happy, but if it ends like Vega and it suddenly is more expensive that would be a dissapointment

Thank you for the suggestion, user, but it seems overkill.

Also, note that I have to get something that fits in SFF

No idea how to pick out a mobo to pair with
ebay.com/itm/372197946815

Any suggestions/tips?

you're not going to go from noisy to really quiet like you could if you had a tower which had space for bigger cooler but something like this should be an improvement nevertheless, according to the reviews anyway.

amazon.com/dp/B002RWJGI6/?tag=pcpapi-20

pcpartpicker.com/product/Lbhj4D/cryorig-cpu-cooler-c7
This is $30, if you thought the 212 was overkill I don't think you'll go for this but it has great reviews and seems to fit in your case (47mm)