Lol no thanks

lol no thanks

Stop using proprietary services that monetize your personal information.

Daily reminder that IRC doesn't have this problem, has never had this problem, and never will have this problem.

Proprietary walled-gardens are a dead end. Open protocol specifications are the only way forward.

This.

Use mumble if you want voice communication.

Had the same problem. Just email them saying you don't want to give your phone number for privacy reasons.

>Daily reminder that IRC doesn't have this problem, has never had this problem, and never will have this problem.
Except it does have this problem if your IP gets blacklisted for some random reason

>IP gets blacklisted
>some random reason
lol

Stop blocking google cookies and be a good goy please

You won't get bait-and-switched like OP's picture clearly demonstrates discord is doing.

Tangentially related: There is a vast multitude of IRC networks out there, and IRC operators are extremely neutral. Your IP will only get blacklisted from a major network for attacking their systems, posting CP, or other stuff that could get them in trouble with the law.

Unlike discord, an IRC network would never ban you for being slightly right of center.

Daily reminder that nobody uses IRC except the most autistic fucks that you wouldn't want to interact with anyway.

Or people not wanting to deal with the shit OP just posted.

enjoy your dead platform no one cares about your special snowflake disease.

Although I don't disagree that IRC is far superior, lots of networks can be finnicky about small things.
A network I used to frequent... Rizon, I think?
Kept banning my IP at seemingly random, I had to contact a moderator to sort it out. It seemed that since I had multiple clients connected at once (at least two, never more than three) from the same connection under the same client username, it thought I was botting and would sometimes ban me and sometimes not.

My IP is listed on dronebl for an "open http proxy", I don't even know what an open http proxy is and I've had this IP since after the listing was made

Daily reminder that this kind of red herring detracts from development on modern open protocols and directly benefits keepers of walled gardens.

Yes, IRC is obviously lacking in many ways, but you should still support it if you support new open protocols being developed in the future

Never forget that (((they))) killed off XMPP before it got extensions that would have made it a far better protocol than the AIM monkeys could ever conjure up

Daily reminder that you share a board with people like like this faggot right here

irc is mostly full of pedos now

Literally the most important factor of a communications platform is popularity. IRC fails at this. No one is on it and so no one will go to it.

That doesn't even get into the lack of all features that make discord and skype popular in the first that IRC will never have.

It means your computer (or some computer on your home network) is running an open proxy, accessible to anyone in the world who has your IP address. And this has been port-forwarded through your router.

If you have no idea how this happened and have access to your router and all the computers in your living area, IMO there is a very high probability that at least one computer has malware and your entire fucking network is compromised. Seriously, if someone installed an open proxy on one of your computers and added a port-forward entry to your router, you should take immediate action

As I've said, I've had this IP since AFTER the listing was made.

desu I think pedos prefer to use platforms that kids use
which is to say discord etc

I agree on both points, but I'm saying that supporting IRC as it is today is necessary for future developments in open protocols and implementing compliant servers and clients, even though IRC as a protocol may eventually be phased out.

But yeah, companies who want to push their walled gardens have many orders of magnitude of marketing clout than a FOSS project ever could, so the "popular to normies" angle is already out the window.

HE means consumer-only pedos. They just share pictures and videos and shit they don't actually interact with kids. The old chatroom shit doesn't happen anymore probably or is incredibly rare.

Sorry, I missed that part.
Something similar happened to me in the past with a game server after resetting my router and getting a new dynamic public IP. A quick email fixed it

It's not just marketing that makes them popular. They have text, voice, video, file transfer, media embedding. etc. These features get people to adapt the platforms and keep them. Not to mention they don't have clunky ux that FOSS types just CAN'T help themselves from fucking up. People like the ones on Sup Forums pride themselves on using the most clunky and obtuse software they can imagine in the most user unfriendly way possible.

Sup Forums doesn't want people to use IRC (or whatver shitty software they think is the best for whatever use) they just think they do. Sup Forums loves the feeling of superiority no matter how unfounded it is and their ability to doublethink themselves into false superiority is unmatched.

Could you expand a little on these clunky IRC clients?

In my experience the popular IRC clients are all streamlined and easy to use

That's because you're not thinking about how a normie would see it. That's relatively clunky compared to shit like discord.

Just put up your irc client next to the discord client and try to change your perspective.

Define quick. Sent a delist request form about two weeks ago and still no reply back. At this point I'm beginning to think I had a typo in my email address.

To be honest, they are pretty similar except discord having a dark theme by default and fancy animations. Everything else appears the same to me:
>servers and channels on the left
>chat in the middle
>user list on the right
I mean, what else does a chat app need? Am I missing something here?

I think it was two or three days
Also note that I was referring to a different community. Smaller communities will have a slower turnaround time for these issues.

isn't discord just a ripoff of slack, and both are for faggots?

>used mIRC since i think around...'96?ish.

>using IRC for numales
lol no thanks

who makes these images?

>who makes these images?

delet this right now!!!!

>Unlike discord, an IRC network would never ban you for being slightly right of center.
>Unlike discord
[citation needed]

this is a bit off topic but i have a lot of spare parts for that new nintendo stuff coming out. should i
wait to put them on ebay?
(pic related)

I use self hosted xmpp to talk to my girlfriend and best friend. The only two people i talk to mind you.

discord is slack for morons (gaming morons) who probably use origin. its made by a company who has had a history of lawsuits due to collecting and selling personal information. they've also expressed interest in banning people from using the service who have right-wing rooms set up or who "troll" by saying politically incorrect shit. it's cancer to the highest degree.

i'm not going to name the script kiddie site or game but they(site) had a discord.

discord, took down the chat, or room, or whatever the fuck it is because of "cheating" or some shit with a new change to the ToS.

Why were people using discord and slack? What's wrong with every other fucking chat platform? I swear there are so many ways to talk to people these days and all i want to do is get away from all of it.

>Why were people using discord and slack?
nu wave for a nu generation.

viral marketing

there are extremely far-right political discords and loli discords and stuff that I'm just SURE are going to be gone before long.

>using a poorly secured chat platform made by a company known to datamine to discuss your extremely controversial interests

fucking idiots

Xfire, gamespy, ventrilo, teamspeak. All the same shit.

>discord
ummm..

Yeah, irc loves robots. And to block bad bots you gotta train your own bot up. Treat em right and have them challenge the bad bots to a fight when they show up.

I think you cut this poorly. It didn't actually tie the "Sharing content glorifying... suicide" statement into a cohesive thought.

Matrix client that isn't hot ass when

Didn't Discord actually come out before Slack?

I mentioned a dev once and I got this screen, tried to make a new account but turns out my IP is blacklisted from using discord without verifying a phone. Once I got my friend to give his phone I typed it in and just threw out "you are being rate limited"
Great fucking developers.

Slack came out in 2013, Discord came out in 2015.

That's actually true, in fact it's true about a lot of the posters on this board as well.

It's also the main reason I avoid private trackers. You have to jump through a shit ton of hoops to appease some turbo-autist neckbeards just to download some movies. No thanks.