Now what?

What is this actually better for? I'm probably going to use this OS (which lives on a separate 1TB HDD than my Windows) for crypto nodes. I'm working on an ERC20 token and I'm going to use parity. Could someone who actually understands the backend explain to me what Linux excels at compared to Windows?

That's for you to decide and discover for yourself. It depends on your use case and personal preference. For me, Linux "excels at" providing freedom to do whatever you want, if you know what you're doing and how to do it. For me, that's preferable to being beholden to someone else's way of doing things.

>arch
B L O A T

>B L O A T
>has ~400 packages more
kek

If you run that steam client (or any proprietary software) outside a sandbox as your own user you can consider your crypto stuff stolen, just as you private keys, email, some logs and whatever you can access yourself without elevated privileges.

>explain to me what Linux excels at
Well, it -could- excel at security when done right. No matter what OS, security is hard. Don't run proprietary software.

>package count matters
>especially with arch where packages are fuckhuge and splitting is rarely a thing
>especially with gentoo's virtual/* packages
>arch has >muh 400 less packages
>still uses ~500MB more RAM
wew

>Uses Gentoo
>Supposed to be more lightweight than Mac OS
>Uses more ram with just the terminal open
>More packages installed
>Global menu on the bottom instead of the top to make it look and feel more like Mac OS.

You are actually the first person I've seen with a Mac OS style menu bar (global menu) on the bottom of the desktop.

>Browser running and terminal, but you are using 1450MB of ram

I thought Gentoo and Arch were supposed to be bloat free, but I guess Mac OS is king.

Pic related.

I thought Mac OS would have more bloat compared to Windows and GNU/Linux, but I guess not.

>tiling desktops
That doesn't count. I could install a tiling desktop, but I was comparing full desktop environments.

Here's right after boot, the previous screenshot was with Chromium in the background. And again, package count is irrelevant between distros.

Install gentoo noob.

forgot pic kek

Package number doesn't matter if you actually use your packages or you have dependencies that are required. If you do a cleanup with your package manager, you will remove all the unneeded dependencies.

It's better because it is marginally less trivial to install.

Fine, you get a pass, but that doesn't explain, OP.
>Installs Arch
>Has too much bloat
Please explain OP. I thought Mac OS had bloat, but I guess not.

>Running chrome, terminal, downloading a game on windows steam in wine

It's as simple as "Arch is shit".

Dope pape, care to share?

I actually liked Arch when I installed it, but being gone for a week, and updating it caused my system to not boot properly, just by updating it. The wiki was no help for my problem so I installed something else.

Also, my system was bloat free compared to OP's.

>294MB compared to over 1000MB of ram

You fell for the meme, there's nothing on Linux you can't do better in Windows, you just wasted your time, congrats

What do you mean by sharing?
Wallpaper, guide on how to install Mac OS on AMD, or something else?

Yet Windows consumes a lot more ram than Mac OS or GNU/Linux when idle or with a terminal open.

Sorry, yes the wallpaper

Sure thing. Enjoy.

Why do you care about idle state ram usage? Computer is literally idle, what's all that ram being unused for?

meditate

Don't forget that he's running chrome and steam

Right thread.

>arch
>KDE
kys

I'm running Chromium here as well, and Steam surely won't eat more than 100MB.

Wipe and install Windows.

Best advice so far.