The Official Sup Forums Router Discussion Thread

>2018
>not managing your router responsibly

1) What model router do you have?
2) What firmware do you use? Is it up to date?
3) Have you considered business-grade routing?

Daily reminder that DDWRT is shit and you should be using LEDE or Gargoyle for stability and speed.

Hourly reminder that Tomato is dead and you should move to a non-dead firmware.

ATTENTION ARCHER C7 USERS AKA PIC RELATED. YOU HAVE A BRAND NEW FIRMWARE WAITING FOR YOU AT THE TP-LINK SITE THAT FIXES THE KRACK VULN AND OTHER STUFF. IF YOU'RE NOT READY FOR LEDE, YOU SHOULD AT LEAST UPDATE YOUR STOCK FIRMWARE NOW.

Other urls found in this thread:

kb.netgear.com/en_US/000038874/
lede-project.org/toh/start?dataflt[Model*~]=Wdr
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Archer C7(US)_V2_180114
>Published Date: 2018-01-17
>Bug Fixed
>1. Fixed the WPA2 Security (KRACKs) Vulnerability.
>2. Fixed the bug in resolving some specific domains when the router works as DNS server.
>New Features/Enhancement
>1. Added SMBv2 support in the USB sharing.
>2. Improved router's performance on the 2.4G wireless network.

>having your router and access point on one device
ishygddt

Lol now post the uncensored one you deleted.

What can LEDE do that Tomato by Shibby can't?

sup

>Mikrotik RB750Gr3 + wAP ac
>RouterOS latest stable
>This is business grade / SOHO

RouterOS is amazing, both devices support LEDE too. This easily beats Ubiquiti shit.

My router is so old the ssl certificate has expired lel.

LEDE makes your router more like a Linux distro that you can add stuff to while Tomato has no extensibility.

I’m moving to a new apartment soon, and I will have to get my own internet access. Can I preemptively assume the router Comcast is going to try to force me to rent is shit? What should I look for when looking for my own?

So if I wanted to install NUT and use my router as a network monitor for my UPS where all my other devices pull info from my router on the UPS status, I can?

I ask because Tomato has this feature but uses the deprecated apcupsd and runs a branch of Linux which has a bug in the USB driver that causes the UPS status to be continuously flapping. I would love to get this to work.

Maybe. Check the lede packages.

Thanks user. It's in the package database. I'll have to give it a try later.

Got an Asus RT-N66W with Merlin. Thinking of switching to an APU2 board and running LEDE.

alright
are mesh wifi setups memes?

Need to upgrade my old netgear router since downloading anything above 1 MB/s on my desktop causes the wifi to stop working

>Mikrotik

mah nigga

>are mesh wifi setups memes?

yes

Any reason not to buy a Netgear R7000P?

I see DD-WRT supports the 7000. Not sure about the 7000P though.

DDWRT is shit.

Okay ... any alternatives? Also curious of the reasons. Stick with stock firmware then?

Initial question still standing though

Stick with stock until it stops being supported. When support ends, go with the best firmware for your router. It will be obvious which one it is for each community.

R7000P isn't supported yet, but it might.

Typically, what you do is just buy the router that everybody else uses and likes so you become part of a community, which creates firmware support.

>Archer c2 and c5.
>Stock nope outdated as long as it still stable.
>Once but isn't worth it i could get like 3 cheap ac router.

>V2
God damn toiletpaper, there's like gorillion model on single type. Kinda pissed when they put shitty mediatek soc into it.

I've got a chink tp-link WDR7500 v2.0 in dire need of an update, it's currently running openwrt (barrier breaker r38298), so it's quite old.

Do I have any other firmware options? Or can I at least update this openwrt version? I'd rather not run any official firmware

I frankly don't know how the updates work on this thing, I can see it runs a package manager like GNU/Linux distros, but I ignore if that's the correct way to upgrade.

update to lede you fag

Mhh thx. Any idea how long routers are usually supported?

Was looking for an answer on that when I stumbled upon this:
kb.netgear.com/en_US/000038874/
>When you enable Circle with Disney on your NETGEAR router, you don’t need to purchase the Circle hardware because it’s already installed in your router. Using Circle on your NETGEAR router saves money and reduces hardware clutter in your home. Also, Circle devices are only supported in the United States, so when you enable Circle on your NETGEAR router, you can use Circle in any country where NETGEAR routers are supported.
The F*CK is disney doing in my router?

Full tinfoil hat than? Turris Omnia any good?

I really need to upgrade desperately.

lede-project.org/toh/start?dataflt[Model*~]=Wdr

This page implies that only hardware version 3.0 and upwards is supported, though.

guess you should have spent more on your router.

I didn't spend any money, it was a gift.

Also, I fail to see how buying an earlier revision because that was available at the time is "cheaping out". Faggot.

DIR-825 B1 (2008)
DD-WRT, no newer versions fucked up dns updater.
No, expensive as fuck.

Considering Asus+Merlin when I eventually retire the DIR-825, maybe the AC86U.

Too lazy to arse around with all the SSH and other shit to get things running. DD-WRT was flash n go. Merlin is supposedly flash n go.

Once considered TP-Link but so many fucking versions of the same model hardware and not all of them are supported, buying online and playing the lottery sucks.

Old computer + pfsense = business grade

Loud and power hungry as fuck.
Also got 4 wired and around a dozen wireless clients. Upgrading a old computer with appropriate good network cards would cost more than just buying the AC86u

Ddwrt and openwrt dépend on the model for stability.

Gargoyle is open ddwrt

Lede looks undercooked af

Bro do you even router?

>TP-Link 4300 v1.3
>LEDE Project / Up to date
Yes. When I have the funds and the need.

Just dropping in to say that no one, not even their own website has said why its better, just that its better

LEDE a shill, get the fuck out.

>needs a whole computer for normal speeds.
>business grade

No thanks I'd rather have an appliance.

Nigger you can't even explain what LEDE can do.

I'd rather just buy new efficient hardware than pay more over time with my electricity bill.

Nigga ledes webpage is so undercooked even it can't explain what it does besides being a pile of binaries scripted toghether to represent openwrt again.

>T-Mobile Wi-Fi CellSpot Router
>Flashed to Asus RT-AC68U latest
>Don't really need it.

Because it does fucking nothing, its a meme.

they cant even state on their own site what it fucking does
all it states is shill shit like "users feel its more stable"

no fucking proof anywhere.

>Does nothing

Just say "I don't know"

I also approve of this.
>RB850 reporting in

Nice picture, do you have any more?

>Archer C7(US)_V2_180114

Oh nice

Hey so Gargoyle, it has "Broadcom" as the model, am I supposed to believe this will work on any arbitrary broadcom-based router? I have a relatively new router not yet supported by ddwrt, and I would think the chances of me installing some random shit called 'broadcom' even if my router has that chipset, and it working, is like

the fuck are you talking about, nigger?

My current comfy little setup. Router is an ASRock J3355B-ITX board w/ a socketed Intel J3355 (dual-core @ 2ghz), 2GB ram, 32GB SSD, and an I340-T2 network card running pfsense. Switch is an HP V1910-8G, and the AP is a Unifi AP AC Lite.

Considering buying Archer C7 since i the wdr1043 served me so well and Open WRT worked so nice on it.
How is OpenWRT and Luci working on archer c7. Any big problems that i should avoid it for?

If you don't wanna any problems, get Archer C7 V2, it's fully supported by LEDE.

In v1.0/1.1 5GHz radio is not working.

v4 not supported in stable yet
(in snapshot for now)

approved
poorfag version RB2011UiAS-RM here
zero complains with my simple needs though, literally no problems at all

Test

Finally.

Has anyone tested of you can still flash LEDE post this update? And/or experience with the C7+LEDE? Really tempted but anxious since current fw can't be found online, so can't flash back.

Apparently LAN tx is fine, WAN has issues near 500Mbit. Want more wifi stability and proper manageable QoS.

ʇsəʇ

>Considering buying Archer C7

Don't buy 4 year old hardware unless its at a heavy discount.

I got it 3 years ago and it was worth it.

>Has anyone tested of you can still flash LEDE post this update?

The V2 can always be flashed. It just takes an extra step that you can see all over the forums for every firmware. Stick with stock until TP-Link ends support.

>Really tempted but anxious since current fw can't be found online, so can't flash back.

What the fuck are you talking about? You can flash back and forth between stock and LEDE as much as you want. The V2 is in the hands of countless numbers of people. It's been well supported. It's like the WRT54G of today.

LEDE is the part of open WRT broke of fork of if I understand correctly. Not really familiar with it. What kind of interface they are using, or what is a good one. Does Luci work with it or is at least similar to Luci interface? I'm kind of used to Luci so if possible I would like to keep it.

LEDE is just OpenWRT with up to date code and Luci installed by default.

In a few months, it will all be re-merged back into OpenWRT and they will announce a new release.

So what are some new router with good openWRT support that are in the same price range (up to 100 bucks)

Blah, mine is a cable modem/router/ wi-fi access point combo unit given to me from my isp. It's actually been pretty stable. The built in DHCP server is just basic shit but it does the job so I leave it be.

Read the lede forums to see what the budget pick is these days. I just use my C7.

What's your setup here? Specifically your hard drive rack.

Housemates are poorfags and only want to spend the minimum on new router (from a non shit brand). How fast is fast enough for this situation?

Need to be able to stream a 35Mbit/s video via serviio to a dual band ultrabook with one wall in between. Server is cable connected to router.

Was considering Synology RT1900ac pic related but not confident it will give us a detectable advantage over an Archer C1200. Thoughts?

Get the Linksys EA7500 instead.

Still running pic related with tomato, thanks to my shitty 16 mbit connection.

Going to finally upgrade soon though, so what's the best option here for about $200 ?

>Running Tomato in 2018

Enjoy getting your router taken over

>Archer D2
>Most recent update is from 2016
>No
No issues with the router so far, but my SNR margin is very low

Gargoyle looks comfy

Too dark to get a better pic
Basically the best you can get that's still an all in one router/switch/wifi box in a small package.
Fairly future-proof too, it theoretically supports 2.5g SFP modules for when >1gbit internet services become more common.

i got an old 3570k that hasn't been used for years. any small mobos + enclosures with dual NICs for a box? my AC68 still handles 30+ clients and 150Mbps connection fine at least.

Wrt1900ac v1 running my own custom version of lede that I've fixed a few long standing kernel bugs

>Typically, what you do is just buy the router that everybody else uses and likes so you become part of a community, which creates firmware support.

WELL THATS WHAT I DID WITH ASUS BUT HERE I AM WITH MY DICK IN MY HANDS

>vtech

phwoaaaaar

To do full traffic inspection and Suricata IDS on a connection of that speed. Just using it as a basic firewall it can run on a old thin client

asus router firmware support is absurdly good though

TM1900 Master race reporting
I have 3 of these as they were $45 bucks on Amazon. Two flashed to latest aimeshable fw and one on advancesd tomato.

Kinda looking into Ubiquiti as the aimesh has really shitty handoff when two aps are even slightly overlapping. Also retarded Asus made it so you can't adjust transmit power to avoid ap overlap.
Also have a cheap chinky tenda ac15 on tomato which I've named chicken tenda.

>i fell for the wrt meme and basically i think someone hacked my routers so im using the one ISP gave me

no your just retarded and new

Yes, ISP rental routers are utter shit and also backdoored. Low end, bad security, and hardcoded passwords that your ISP uses to watch traffic. Honestly just get any router in the $50-$100 range with all the wireless protocols (b/g/n/ac), make sure you can disable WEP and that it has a decent interface/control panel, and is capable of providing more throughput than you're paying comshit for. Get a decent modem too, although this isn't as critical. You can get both for under $100 total. Once you have decent hardware, the actual important part is using this thread as a guide and installing firmware that lets you improve your security and quality of service.

disregard that i suck cocks

my isp gave me a router with 4g back up sim incase their network goes down or whatever.

any good routers out there i can put this simcard in? i plant on running some crypto nodes and want max uptime

>ATTENTION ARCHER C7 USERS AKA PIC RELATED. YOU HAVE A BRAND NEW FIRMWARE WAITING FOR YOU AT THE TP-LINK SITE THAT FIXES THE KRACK VULN AND OTHER STUFF. IF YOU'RE NOT READY FOR LEDE, YOU SHOULD AT LEAST UPDATE YOUR STOCK FIRMWARE NOW.

mfw there is no firmware update for the Archer C7 V1

Why is router rental a thing?
Don't you have to pay like $20 a month? Why wouldn't you just buy a cheap router?

Hahahahhahaahhaha

Because they are tech illiterate.

Half the time it's one of those shitty modem/router combo boxes.

how do you even buy an Archer C7 V2+? on walmart, amazon, etc they don't even specify the hardware version

its rental because if you cancel the service they ask for it back

I guess it's OK if they don't charge for it.
It's like that here too except they don't ask for it back.

anybody?

Have a raspberry pi I bought for openwrt, the windows install documentation is trash, installed the image but the Ethernet doesn't work nor is there a terminal or working GUI. Is there a better alternative, or am I destined to spin up a Linux VM just so I can install a GUI package when I flash the image?

try reading the guides all over the web you idiot.

>Have a raspberry pi I bought for openwrt

nobody does this, fag

Linksys WRT-AC1200 running latest LEDE
Also serves as NAS

wtf?
you running windows on your pi that you want to use as a router with openwrt?
do you see why this is retarded?

Did anyone here have problems with some websites not loading when you have ipv6 enabled on your router?

Seems to be some run of the mill parental control software.

Does your ISP actually support ipv6?

Yeah they do, but it's strange because different ipv6 test sites report different things about my ipv6 status.

>TD-W9970