/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/n8KE4KeqsFg
youtu.be/Npb2WhsLVQU?t=123
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ok didn't think so, thank you for helping me control myself.
I know, I know. I'm telling you it's a fucking disease. I always want the satisfaction of getting a new toy but it always dies off within a week with the shitters.

who /casio/ here?

Casio solar only

I have this one.

That’s pretty nice

>WOAWOAAAAAAHHHH Internally

Good morning wt

Thanks, it was one of my first watches and I liked it so much that I started learning more about watches and discovered mechanicals.
I still use it from time to time, with a black perlon strap.

Why doesn't your arm have hair?

Who /stuckataconference/

Not today though, I'm wearing a tuning-fork Citizen.

Nice iphone rotate user. What conference are you at?

that's a soyarm if I ever saw one

minimalists dream

Morning

wearing my CW trident

r8

>not having cute arms
Not gonna make it, senpai.

I too attend penis grasping conferences.

It would be much nicer if CW didn't have a logo worse than many AliExpress brands.

You circle-clock-thing is a bit shifted to the upper left too?

Pretty big user, but I have small wrists and like divers too. Are you enjoying the CW? Does the logo bug you at all?

Yes it is pretty big - I lost a lot of weight since I bought it a few years ago. Also, I used to wear quartz watches so it does feel very thick and heavy but that's the case with all mechanicals.

The logo's ok. I don't like the new one though

Is there a way to brush off the "WORLD TIME" and "ILLUMINATOR" things?

I like your logo much better than that one as well. Funny story I knew a guy who bought a deepsea a couple years ago. He lost a lot of weight and now it looks ridiculous on him but he refuses to accept that and continues to wear it like the stubborn skinny boy he is now. Could be worse

No, that's just someone who's not a 56%-er mutt with extensive genetic damage.

It really is. It has time and date and nothing else, not even a backlight.

Today's watch, again the Hisonic. I still haven't worked up the courage to try and service it.

Am I the only one who doesn't like any of the PADI-editions?

R8

same guy here, I actually don't like them very much either, I think the prospex you posted is especially ugly vs. the regular model

I like the idea of the PADI but most of them don't look that good to me for some reason.

The lume work could be better in my opinion.
I have the Janata, it looks nice on my wrist with a green perlon.

The Turle PADI would be appealing if it was actually unique. I remember when it came out there was a big hype around it with its unusual looks, even here on /wt/. But ever since then Seiko has been releasing a PADI version of every one of their diver models almost every month.

Looks a bit shit, but so do most HMTs. Not too bad overall.

You have a good eye user,sadly this is a franken watch
hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on a mint condition pilot from eBay

I agree, they don't usually look too good but the pilot is cheap as fuck looks half decent and this one keeps time pretty accurately even tho it's a franken watch , it comes with an in house movement so that's interesting considering it cost me 10 bucks

Also, this was a gift ,what do you guys think?

Back

>limpwrist handlet going to bat for another DYEL handlet twink
color me surprised

salty

That's both me, la creatura-kun.

Post wrist, fatso.

Yes

>la creatura-kun
My sides.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk that is nice

How are you not embarrassed wearing a watch that is obviously too large for you? This is literally the same as wearing a XXXXXXL t-shirt as a normal sized person. `

this technology is best enjoyed in a clock, rather than a watch

Not really, at least all the transistorized clocks I've seen have a retarded 90° turn in their escapement. At least all the ones I know of are like that, and the few I worked on were all a bitch to index.

yuck, the SNK809 i ordered for the dial and hands swap has a kebab day wheel. good thing that's going to be covered up.

remove kebab

is that a solar accutron?

no

I've been looking for a 20mm wide, gold-plated buckle that has a wide tongue and similar dimensions to the buckle in the picture. I have not been able to find one anywhere, no Jewelers at my Jeweler's Exchange could find anything they have to fit it. Furthermore I can't get it gold plated because it is illegal to gold plate stainless steel in California.

Anyone have any ideas or recommendations?

>it is illegal to gold plate stainless steel in California.

>it is illegal to gold plate stainless steel in California
I know its Commiefornia but this can't be real.

>>it is illegal to gold plate stainless steel in California.>it is illegal to gold plate stainless steel in California.>it is illegal to gold plate stainless steel in California.

wat

have you tried solid gold

What do you think about this my most recent adquisition?

bent lugs.

It's for a $300 watch, and a $35 strap. Not worth it.
Also in many other states. No jeweler will/can gold-plate stainless steel. This is because of the danger in the chemicals used specifically for gold plating.

Yes, its still in need of some restoration work. The strap is the only thing i have changed yet.

Seems to keep decent time at least.

are you literally living in some sort of mindfuck alternate reality or has it just not occurred to you to google 'gold plating service stainless steel'

What in the actual fuck are you talking about?
You can do it at home with basically nothing. YOu can even buy prosumer plating devices.
youtu.be/n8KE4KeqsFg

>Also in many other states. No jeweler will/can gold-plate stainless steel.
wat

i mean, this is definitely not true, but if you can't be dissuaded of it then you can consider titanium nitride.

I don't like them because I'm vein and am SSI certified.

Looks pretty good.

3/10

What year is that model?

Not a big fan of Seiko divers or casio digital watches here. But nice to see different tastes out there.

>mfw when you have sold a couple of watches and a rather cheap 7A28 is up for grabs.

Rather tempting, though the bezel and insert are a bit roached it's a solid one otherwise.

Might look nice with some work.

Well would you look at that.

youtu.be/Npb2WhsLVQU?t=123

I really can't tell if that's dead on or off center from that picture.

>Well would you look at that.youtu.be/Npb2WhsLVQU?t=123
THE HORROR

>youtu.be/Npb2WhsLVQU?t=123

I want to paypal archie $5 so he can go down to the bus station and pay a rat to gnaw that fucking thing off his face

Yes, you can.

I'd turn it in, zero doubt about that.

You are now aware that he has two of them.

No, I fucking can't, or I wouldn't have said so.

You get those after touching hundreds of rolex watches.

I also cannot tell at all. I have no idea what you are even talking about.

Are any of the vintage Timex Electrics worth a shit, or should I stick to their manual winds?

The Dynabeat models are neat to have, but their regular unjeweled manual and automatic watches usually are rather cheap.

Honestly if you look at the new Marlin reissue, it has a manual version of a rather common Chinese movement which is technically better than the original ones.

I have been considering it, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to shell out that much for a Timex, especially considering how little vintage models go for on eBay. I just want a reasonable Timex model for my collection. I have som of their 80's and 90's quartz shitters, but I think I'm going to sell them all off.

Looks neat, but you may want to try wearing it a big higher on your wrist for maximum aesthetics.

C H R O M E
H
R
O
M
E

A bit, rather.

I have, no jeweler will do it, commercial gold-plated is very expensive.

Why would I do it at home when I could just buy a buckle for $15

>This is definitely not true
If you don't have a commercial license for gold-plated (which is very expensive and only used by commercial platers) you legally cannot use the chemicals needed to get a proper gold-plating on stainless steel.

IMO dynabeats usually come with decent designs and are cheap as possible. Pic related is 50 euroshekels off fleabay for example. Also Dynabeats are 28800bph as well.

neat

oh my god get the fuck off this board

Beautiful penis user. Always keeping an eye out for more myself.

>No, I fucking can't, or I wouldn't have said so.
Yes, you can you liar.

You can clearly tell. No reason to be butthurt.
This is probably my No. 1 grail watch, but it is what it is.

Cheap Casio digital master race.

For real. If it was a straight on shot it would be easy to tell, but from that perspective, it could go either way.

>I FEEL VERY STRONGLY ABOUT THIS INCONSEQUENTIAL NONSENSE I PICKED UP SOMEWHERE!
Why are you so stubbornly defending an obviously false claim? And why are you taking it personally?

it's a screen grab from a bad angle zoomed in like fuck from youtube

I am yet a 3rd guy who cannot tell

Did I hear penis quartz?

Also beautiful. Why doesn't Seiko make anything comparable in the mid range today?

if he feels this strongly, he should call the police about all these gold-plating kits for stainless steel that are for sale on shady darkweb sites like amazon dot com