/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

audioemotion.co.uk/vertex-yushan-cable-risers-set-of-six-8388-p.asp
discord.gg/y9Tm9sE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

daily reminder HD600 owners are retards

Nice maki

any recs on carrying cases? I have the sennheiser hd25-1 iis and often just throw them in my backpack when going places, but based on how beat up other things get in my backpack I'm pretty worried about them.

Remember to take good care of your headphones by not leaving them on the floor! Also dust your room.

>Also dust your room.
i'm trying senpai

daily reminder to polish your cable risers!

Why is this fucking around the ear earbud design so popular? They're hell to put on and barely stay in your ear better than regular designed earbuds. Just bundle a pair of foam eartips with your in ears and they'll stay in your ears a hundred times better than this crappy design.

You're doing it wrong

What do you use to drive your headphones/IEM's Sup Forums?

just ordered a fulla 2 for my 598s lads

Your ears are going to fall out if you continue using those sugary gumdrops!

I vacuumed/dusted my popcorm ceiling the other day, it was awful but there's less dust

Are you looking at getting a 600/650?
My 558s don't benefit from my fulla other than volume, I'd say you wasted your money unless you had noise or volume issues from your onboard.

Wtf yo! thats not the right way to use them

Good!

yeah the volume is far too low using onboard

Idol trash here.
What's your feet like, user?
Maki \o/
I suggest CANCEL and get Magni 3.
Reasoning: Fulla 2 is a poor amp and a decent DAC. You only need a DAC if your computer has issues. As an amp, fulla2 will fall short with many headphones including HD600, whereas Magni 3 will drive pretty much anything. It should cost the same as a fulla2.
Disclaimer: See pic. I have HD598, HD380, HD600, Fulla 2 and Magni/Modi 2u. I'm quite familiar with these.

>bends the tips of your ears
o-oh. i guess i have small ears then, mine fit in the earcups fine..
I guess il make my own then, anyone have pointers for a he-400i eq?

O2 amp Inna box

alright here is the guy with the clicking noise again. last thread i asked how to get rid of this clicking noise that i hear when i press play on a video or a song or start a game. it sounds like what you hear when you plug your headphones in.

one user told me replacing the USB between by PC and DAC with an optical cable. so i did, but the clicking noise is still here.

i should also mention that i got this DAC last week, and there was no clicking noise at first, it came all of the sudden 2 days ago.

i need help.

hey idoru user, how're you
fulla 2 and 600 user - should I order a magni 3 and use my fulla as dedicated dac?

hey vintage headphone dorks, what do you use to drive old sets with crazy high impedance? i got this old hd 414 @ 2000 ohms, and while my dinkpad can get them to an *acceptable* listening volume, it's pretty obvious the onboard is struggling to keep up, as they sound a lot better plugged into a period kenwood receiver or the straight phone out on a cd deck from the 80s. are there modern headphone amps that even try to pair with 2k ohm anymore?

long story short, i have a pair of re-400b. the issue is that they're the balanced version, and I lost the adapter for non-balanced outputs. Does anyone know where I can get a little adapter so I can use these with my phone?

I think an o2 should work, if nothing else you can modify the gain and it will definitely work

Should I lower system volume or lower pre-amp value? Does it make any difference in sound quality?

system volume should be at 100%, use amp volume control

amp volume control is way too loud

Doesn't it heat the box up?

then turn it down

I mean the base volume is way too loud, I barely turn the nob at all and it's too much.

ooo this might be what i go for. being able to play around with the gain sounds useful. thanx

then you can use system volume control, it doesn't matter much. i just prefer a real physical knob i can turn.

you have to be able to de-solder/solder different resistors on the board if you diy, otherwise just figure what you need before you order and order it set to what you need from jds

Breadboard amp when?

She looks so powerful.

Comfy thread.
How many headphones do you footfags own?
Be honest.

you can do that with simple designs, actually. ordering parts for a breadboard millett SSHM next week.

Has any of you suffered some hearing damage after using headphones for so long?

I've got hearing loss in my left ear, otherwise I'd say I'm mostly fine

Full-size: 4
Earbud/IEM: 6

1 open, 1 IEM. I have no use for more.

Nope. I don't ever have them loud.
One open

from live shows, not headphones
hd600, hd558, pc37x
mud so nice I bought it thrice

What's wrong with the HD600?

What said, i never had problems with headphones, but this one time i was working with a rock band, shit was so loud it got my right ear ringing for almost three weeks, it got better though.
pic related, not a footfag btw.

Nothing. They are the finest headphones ever created by man.

they're treble cannons

Oh yes, me too! I couldn't hear a thing from my left hear for almost two days after seeing the one and only, Motorhead! Miss you Lemmy.

Kind of a dumb question I guess but I see people talk about preamps all the time. Can I use a Focusrite 2i2 as my preamp? Is it useful for an M40x. I need the sound card for recording anyway.

I have almost the same exact setup: I'm using a Focusrite 2i2 with a M50x and it works really well. The difference between using it and plugging them directly in the laptop is very noticeable.

Nice. What kind of difference? You mean soundwise?

lmao, what else, if not soundwise?
The main difference is a lot less distortion at medium-high volumes, not to mention an overall "fuller" and more "liquid" sound. There are some sounds especially in electronic music that I'm not even able to hear otherwise. Keep in mind, though, that my computer's port is especially crappy.
>inb4 placebo
Even my grandpa could tell the difference in a blind test.

>blind test
>audio

Oh, you!
Alright, deaf test.

Well maybe it wasn't loud enough on your laptop and with a preamp you get more sound? I heard something like that could happen with higher ends headphones.

That could also be the case, sure, this was just my experience with limited equipment. I'm still fairly new to audio gear, so I'm experimenting.

I see, anyway thanks for your input.

O2+ODAC or Element?

HD600

O2 + OL DAC

2 earbud sets
8 pairs of open headphones
5 pairs of closed headphones
1 active speaker pair
2 passive bookshelf speakers
1 passive mini-speaker
2 stereo amps
2 subs
1 active crossover/equalizer
2 dac/headphone amps
1 headphone amp
1 wireless mono speaker
4 chromecast audios

no, all my hearing damage was at shows/raves

Is there a /hpg/ approved tube rolling guide? Is there a way to identify just tube sizes? The only identification I can find is the tube model number.

1 open, 2 closed, 1 iem

audioemotion.co.uk/vertex-yushan-cable-risers-set-of-six-8388-p.asp

should i?

pls rspnd

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

>/hpg/ approved
/hpg/ approved = solid state amps only.

I wanna fug Maki

While some might find benefits in such items, we here recommend more cost-effective manners of improving the sound.
Specifically, transducers are the most important. Amps second.
Considering your budget, you should probably look at getting HD800 and an amp (Magni 3 is suggested).

post your cable riser setup

tubes are for rubes

I hate these faggots with the force of a thousand firey suns because I want the money to throw away like them but I'd use it on very different shit

Recommend

>staring at the join drop button for hd6xx
>can't press it

That's a good decision, since you should buy the superior HD600 instead.

o-ok

>Is there a way to identify just tube sizes? The only identification I can find is the tube model number.
While there are distinct sizes and pin configurations, you DON'T want to go blindly plugging in different tubes in your amp just based the fact they fit. Tubes differ not only by pin configuration, but by internal wiring and construction, operating parameters, etc. But then on the other hand, there many cases of basically identical and 100% interchangeable tube models going by different numbers just because they're made in different countries and use different classification systems. Example: 6AK5, EF95, CV4010,and 6Ж1П are essentially the same thing.

Just google up tube rolling guides for whatever gear you have.
And (safely in advance) for fuck's sake, keep common sense in mind and don't fall for the stuff like snake oil memery of cryo treatments, matched tube pairs for amps that don't need matching, and keep an eye out for stores ready rip you off. Stuff like almost fifty bucks for a pair of Soviet 6Ж1П-EB driver tubes is just borderline scamming. Shop around.

i sent them an email because i couldnt find anywhere to cancel the order. do you know how long it typically takes for them to get back to you?

thought here might be the best place to post this
I just bought an lp5 turntable and I thought I'd plug headphones straight to the line level built in amp output
it sounds like a fucking tape it's hideous but the sound is decent on my shitty audioengine speakers
would an external amp fix this?

I'm using hd598s

This is a music sharing discord server with a variety of tastes and channels but we need more people who know hardware and I/O devices discord.gg/y9Tm9sE

six

I haven't needed to contact them, so unfortunately I can't help there.

Anyone got to try out in-ear vs over-ear noise cancelling headphones? Are in-ear inferior? They only cover the hole and the whole ear is transmitting noise from outside.

Just buy the K7XX instead then you won't have to wait till March 28th.

but he'll also have worse headphones

I think you mean just as good without the shit comfort.

they're objectively worse, sorry to burst your bubble

HD6XX are objectively worse in comfort and soundstage.

Last week I bought a new DAC, It's an Audio-GD R2R 11. It sounds good but since two days ago suddenly I hear a single clicking noise everytime I play a video, song or launch a game. It's very minor but it annoys the fuck out of me, everything was good when I bought this thing and all of the sudden there's this. Sometimes I can even hear a click/distortion during a song which is really bad. I know for sure it has to do with my DAC because when I put other headphones in the DAC the clicking is still there, and when I plug headphones directly into my motherboard there are no clicks.

Things I've tried so far:
>tried all different sample rates
>reinstalled USB driver
>checked DPC latecy (1000 constant, no spikes)
>bought an optical cable and used that instead of the USB cable - this caused different but similar issues. It would still click when I start something up, but less frequently. The noise sounds different though, more annoying. It would also randomly disable my audio, I would have to turn my DAC off and on again and it would be back.

How the fuck do I fix this?

Don't buy retarded meme shit and you'll be fine. Take this as a lesson.

There's nothing wrong with the DAC itself, it's something with my connection, drivers, or sample rate I think. The DAC sounds amazing.

Got a new meme.

>buying overpriced chink shit

Not an argument.

Strong contribution audiolets.

fuck off morons

Do you happen to be using it through usb? If so the clicking is it changing sample rates. Force it to only run at one or run it over optical

>The DAC sounds amazing.
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

not op but post something worthwhile like a better alternative or your setup