Radio / GMRS / FRS / HAM / whatever thread

I'm about to buy a pair of UV-5R, mainly for emergency/bug-out bag purposes. I have no clue about radio shit and never used one, but I'm good with tech in general and willing to learn. Am I doing the right thing? Would you try to stop me?

I don't mind getting a licence to use it, it seems to be more of a formality plus paying a fee, even though as I understand in SHTF situation no one will be asking for licence when you call for help. These radios seem to have a learning curve of their own anyway so may as well learn the few things required to get licensed while I'm at it.

Also are there any good sites or resources for complete radio noobs like me? I don't really intend to get full autist into radio, just enough to know what I'm doing when I need to use it, but it seems most sites I find are made by full autists for full autists and are not really accessible to people who are just starting out.

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/we-have-a-new-radio-cesspool.503716/
forums.radioreference.com/amateur-radio-general-discussion/280163-frequency-war-going-3875-a.html
canada411.ca/
propertymap.sfplanning.org/
transition.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2017.html
amazon.com/TYT-MD-380-Moto-TRBO-Radio/dp/B00X6FYWWS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516484793&sr=8-2&keywords=Tyt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

/out/ knows probably more about radios than Sup Forums.

I thought so too but I did see radiofag threads here in the past, also this is more of my home board than /out/ anyway. I'll try over there next though.

>/out/
No, I've been here for 10 years faggot, you get the fuck out

radios are technology

>that picture
Are those for big guys and lil niggas?

you absolutely need a license. hams are weird people, and if they find you broadcasting without one, which they will, they will literally play fox and hound to track you and sell you out to the FCC

>hams are weird people
So I heard, but:
- I understand I can Tx in different frequencies or modes so as to not get in the hams way
- some of those frequencies/modes are legal to use without licence (although apparently UV-5R is sort of grey area because it can be set to go over the Tx power limit)
- in actual life threatening situation you can call however you want and no one will give you shit for it
I don't know if will I want to get into the whole radio culture once I get it, for now I just want it for listening to weather stations and making distress calls when shit goes down and we need to bug out (I'm in California btw). And maybe to use it in walkie-talkie mode (simplex? whatever that's called) with [spoiler]my wife[/spoiler] when we're out hiking or camping.

It goes over the power limit for FRS freqs.

So how does this work if I get a GMRS licence? I get that my name will publicly searchable in FCC database which sucks in and out of itself, but how will people know that it's me transmitting? Is my callsign or whatever embedded in the transmission (like say MAC address in a packet), or does it all rely on me giving my callsign out verbally? Am I obliged to give my callsign when transmitting even when I just want to talk to a specific person on a frequency we agreed upon earlier?

Yeah seems like it only goes down to 1W when legal limit is up to 0.5W. Does it even matter though? Can someone monitoring even tell when you're not obviously abusing it, or is it just a technicality?

Pic related, really scary shit you can look up people's street addresses just like that.

I have that exact BaoFeng.

Its decent, and for the price-point its hard to beat, but if you're willing to spend more, I'd recommend getting Yaesu VX-8DR

Reading more into it, it should be fine. In low Tx power it puts out 1W and on channels 1-7 and 15-22 you're good up to 2W.

>In 2017, the FCC changed its rules to stop equipment authorization of FRS dual-service radios and it changed the rules for both FRS and GMRS such that existing radios would be reclassified as either FRS or GMRS to remove the confusion of whether a license was needed for legal operation.
>Specifically, if you have a radio that was sold as a dual-service FRS/GMRS radio and it is limited to the channels and power limits provided under the “Data” tab on this page, then that device can be operated as an FRS device without a licensing requirement.
>However, if the device exceeds the limits under the “Data” tab or includes any of the following channels (467.5500, 467.5750, 467.6000, 467.6250, 467.6500, 467.6750, 467.7000, and 467.7250 MHz), then it is a GMRS device and an individual FCC license is needed to operate the device other than on the channels and with the bandwidth and power limits shown under the “Data” tab.

Key phrase:
>FCC license is needed to operate the device other than on the channels and with the bandwidth and power limits shown under the “Data” tab.
The way I understand this you can have whatever device you wish and as long as you operate it within FRS limits then you're legal even without a licence.

Thanks, but that's $400 for a single one if I'm reading it right. Right now I'm still on the fence about dropping $70 for two Baofengs with a couple accessories, assuming that hopefully I will have very little actual emergency use for them.

Get a longer extra gain antenna, they are light and can fit anywhere. Next up, car charger with lighter adapter. If shit goes south you'll have a car more than electrical grid to your house. Get the license so you can play with it a little before needing it.

Its a great radio to get to start out with. Can connect to a computer and everything

>car charger with lighter adapter
That's the plan, actually a USB-to-charger cable since I have USB chargers in almost all car lighter sockets anyway.

>longer extra gain antenna
I'll consider this later if I see the need for it, it's not as essential as power.

>Get the license so you can play with it a little before needing it.
I wish it could be the other way somehow, you know in a try-before-buy way. I read someone arguing that you don't get to drive a car without getting a licence first either, but with a radio you can't easily go over 100 mph in a neighbourhood and kill yourself and other with it.

>with a radio you can't easily go over 100 mph in a neighbourhood and kill yourself and other with it.

No, but you can jam almost any wireless network within several miles radius with a press of a button, communications, emergency warning systems, industrial systems etc. if you dont know what youre doing. Study a bit, radio transmissions are not to be taken too lightly

>within several miles radius
On the HF bands you can be fucking shit up across the planet, considerably more disruptive than driving a little too fast in your car

The lowest licence class is as easy to get as a learners permit so there's really no excuse

>BAN ASSAULT RADIOS NOW
Just kiddings, all fair points. But can you really wreak this much havoc with a 4W handheld?

I'm a responsible adult though, I'll keep reading and learning until I know I'm not fucking things up and until I decide if I want to keep it for emergency only or get licensed and take it out more than that.

Privacy is my big concern and I detest having my address searchable online even more than if I had to sign up for facebook. I found a few records registered to PO boxes so I'll probably get one temporarily just to get my FCC papers, though it's another stupid expense.

what are the advantages of that giant one on the left over the one on the right? they look to me like they'd be the same

I've heard this but I've also heard the FCC is slow to enforce things or just ignores certain things.

Is it true that the 7200kHz and 14.200-400 MHz frequencies are the Sup Forums of ham?

>frequencies are the Sup Forums of ham
14313 kHz

>Is it true that the 7200kHz and 14.200-400 MHz frequencies are the Sup Forums of ham?
I fucking hope not. Those two are parts of prime HF DX bands.

And by the way, OP's radio will work in the UHF CB band, so you can operate there not having to worry about upsetting ham licensees

That depends where OP is from. Burgers don't have UHF CB

forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/we-have-a-new-radio-cesspool.503716/

I've heard 75 meters can get interesting as well

forums.radioreference.com/amateur-radio-general-discussion/280163-frequency-war-going-3875-a.html

oh wow. so scary. canada411.ca/
But seriously phonebooks have been doing this forever. If you're a grown ass man who gives a fuck if someone knows your address? It literally means nothing. You know where all your neighbours live, and they all know where you live

>still no radio packet based Sup Forumsternet network

All right, so can someone clarify:

1. If you use an uncertified transmitter (like the UV-5R) in a theoretically legal way, observing Tx power limits and all that, does anyone give a shit? Can they even tell in any way as long as you don't fuck up?
2. If you do get licensed, are you legally required to ID (and thus dox) yourself with your callsign every time when transmitting, or can you just talk to who you want to talk if you know what frequency you're on? And what can they do if you don't id yourself, assume you're unlicensed and send FCC after you?

I have never in my life been listed in any phone book and have always opted out of them.

>I found a few records registered to PO boxes so I'll probably get one temporarily just to get my FCC papers, though it's another stupid expense.
Your street address lives in the licence database but a postal address is shown to the public, PO boxes are an easy way to keep your home address out of the public eye

Only Aus and NZ have 477mhz CB

I don't mind that as long as Joe S Random can't just type my name in (or do a random range search like in pic) and then come to my house for whatever reason.

>If you do get licensed, are you legally required to ID (and thus dox) yourself with your callsign every time when transmitting
At the beginning of transmission and then at least once every 10 mins. Even commercial FM broadcast stations have to do it (it's why they'll repeat that same "you're listening to poofter fm with your favourite faggots" after every few songs). In conversation you'd probably be doing it more often depending on how many others you're talking with or how fast conversation is going

regional searches like that will probably have you lost in the noise anyway as they include all the other licence holders - businesses, broadcast tv/radio, emergency services and school districts (if they're using point to point microwave links, etc) and shit like that

searching where I live, most of the licences are for shipping

>this is what /nu/g/ actually believes

Prove it wrong

Does anyone have experience with mesh networking on the ham bands?

Yes, and there won't be because the two things the FCC get you for is a) unlicensed transmitting and b) (more relevant) encrypted transmissions.
>hurr durr they cant stop me, radio waves are untraceable
The FCC has monitoring stations/vans that exist solely to triangulate such transmissions, encrypted and/or unlicensed. Fifth graders can do that math.
Even if other hams don't rat you out, Ajit will bring the irl ban hammer down upon you with the fury of a thousand anti-Net Neutrality votes

Assuming burger of course but still, if freedom-land won't let you encrypt your radio traffic, why would you assume the EU or most civilized places would either

The encrypted transmissions would draw the most attention.

Security by obscurity is a terrible practice, my city (administratively small but part of major industry region) only has under 50 GMRS licences, a third of them active, and most seem to be just random people rather than businesses.

No, you mean /k/ does. All the preppers and SHTF wackos are there, and they know more than most of us ever will.

Any Euro radiofags want to chip in with some knowledge and advice?

>Even commercial FM broadcast stations have to do it (it's why they'll repeat that same "you're listening to poofter fm with your favourite faggots" after every few songs).
Ah shit, that makes sense now, thanks for explanation. Does it need to be a full callsign every time, or just a name or nickname is sufficient? Shouting WHISKY-QUEBEC-QUEBEC-LIMA-FIVER-SEVEN-TWO (for example from that other pic) every other transmission (assuming you talk intermittently only when needed and not use it like a fucking chatroom) is pretty damn awkward and cumbersome.

>as I understand in SHTF situation no one will be asking for licence when you call for help
well if you run out of dorritos supply and call your mom for more I'm pretty sure it doesn't count as shtf situation.

>The FCC has monitoring stations/vans that exist solely to triangulate such transmissions, encrypted and/or unlicensed. Fifth graders can do that math

its so blatantly obvious that you have no idea how hard it is to triangulate HAM radio signals

also

>>>NOT BOUNCING YOUR CONNECTION OFF OF THE EARTHS IONOSPHERE EFFECTIVELY MAKING YOU INTRACEABLE
brainlet

It's serious business when you live literally on top of a major fault that's some 30 years overdue for a major event.

Just stay inside your parents basement. You'll be fine.

>how hard it is to triangulate HAM radio signals
HAMs like to make it sound like it's a snap of the fingers to them, but I'm sure there's a good degree of FUD in that.

I'm sorry but I don't like the lack of anime in this thread.

Ham or GMRS licence? GMRS fee is very jewy but had no test and covers whole family and use-wise is more what I need right now. Ham sounds more fun in the long run though and costs next to nothing, but I can't see my wife giving enough of a fuck to study and get licensed herself.

>mfw I'll probably end up getting both eventually

this is bullshit.
99% of analogue HAM radio channels are completely dead these days.

unless you're interfering with someones business, breaking FCC rules blatantly or trying to get into a repeater without a license NO ONE is going to give 2 shits about what you're doing. No one is going to fox hunt someone using a radio for personal use.

ALSO those baufeng radios can be legally used without a license. You just have to be careful what channels you're using. I dont have a license and i have the all my preset channels on mine programmed for the bands i can legally broadcast on. The frequency mode is fair game though.

Getting a license is not a bad idea though. You learn a lot going through the test.

>64388571

Nigga you retarded? A handheld is not enough to disrupt emergency broadcast stations.

Just set up an SBC and RTL-SDR in the attic with RTL-TCP, pretty fun

why would some radio that is available to normal people be able to do something on completely different frequencies that its designed to be used on?

Any wireless network is a bit broad but with those you are able to transmit on EMS, NOAA, and other frequencies that you shouldn't be fucking with.

bump

you can tune the uv5r to walkie talkie frequencies which won't get you in trouble with anyone

They aren't licensed for FRS/GMRS use, that's just as illegal

Even with an amateur radio license

>really scary shit you can look up people's street addresses just like that.

You should check out municipal assessment database. Anyone can search your name and find out what houses/buildings/plots of land you own, acreages and square footage, how many toilets are in your house, how much you pay in property taxes, land and property values, etc.

propertymap.sfplanning.org/

why are these public registers a thing? no one else needs to know where i live what i earn or what i do.

>what i earn
don't be a jewie user

But how can anyone tell if you're using them within legal limits?

true. $3000 fine for illegal broadcasting where you live

it takes a matter of minutes if the equipment is handy

just say your short non-phonetic call at the end.
"fuck niggers, KT3AKR"

The FCC only cares about unlicensed FM broadcast. They don't give a shit about anything else, they're budget was decimated, and they closed the majority of offices around the country. As long as you play by broadcast rules, no one will probably notice. Triangulation? It's a fucking joke, no one cares.

yeah but you're way less likely to get caught

they literally cant

nobody fucking cares

If you keep hitting a repeater with 100watts, someone is going to fucking notice. HF? Much harder, but you have to go out of your way to find an amp that puts out over 1.5kw in the US. And remember folks, you have to double your power for anyone to notice on the other end.

fucking this.

Literally no one can tell if your Uv-5r is 1 watt over the allowed limit.

Nopt only that. The Baofeng UV5r and its likes are not certified GMRS or FRS radios.
even tough they are able to TX on these frequencies/channes, they are oficially not allowed to be used on them.
Same goes for other ham radio devices of any brand imaginable.
You are also not allowed to go on CB channels and TX with a ham radio that got mars capped.
I mean i wouldn't care, but from a legal standpoint, you are committing a federal crime in the US when you use a ham radio on such free bands. Look up what the FCC has to say about this in the US
Here in Europe, it is almost the same.
So if you are outdoors and a cop is seeing you using the UV5r and he checks you and sees that you use it on FRS/GMRS, you can be in trouble. Although i don't think the risk getting in such a situation is too big.
Better get a license and be allowed to use all ham bands and repeaters and stuff.
It's not only a great hobby, it is also good for essential communication when SHTF is here.

Yeah, but don't be a complete Sup Forumstard about it. Canada doesn't care much for enforcing their laws, but the FCC will come a-knockin if you act like too much of a fag.

What do you think about radios from Motorola Solutions?
Underrated

What sdr thingo should I buy? Start with a cheap rtl-sdr dongle and then move to the Adalm-pluto if I want more?

>So if you are outdoors and a cop is seeing you using the UV5r and he checks you and sees that you use it on FRS/GMRS, you can be in trouble. Although i don't think the risk getting in such a situation is too big.

he has to know what it is and what frequencies do what. he probably doesnt know and doesnt care.

Yeah, about that. transition.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2017.html

Really, don't fuck with the FCC. It isn't worth the time or money risk considering getting legal is cheap and easy.

Sure, but get a decent antenna. It will make all the difference

this

I've been abusing the fuck out of APRS to get some telemetry from a few weather stations on my property. They've been up for a few months and no faggots have bothered me

Did you read my post? Specifically about FM broadcast?

Aussie spotted.

>ALSO those baufeng radios can be legally used without a license.
Wrong, If you want to transmit on FRS or GMRS you need a licensed dedicated radio for these frequencies. A ham radio is not legally allowed to transmit on these frequencies.
It is legal to own them and to listen with them on any frenquency desired, but you are not allowed to transmit with them if you are not having a license or when you transmit on GMRS FRS.
Even hams with a license are not allowed to use ham radios on GMRS and FRS.

Should I build a yagi-uda or quad-antenna and put it on my roof?

>probably
I would not bet on it.

it's like that on my country, no idea about usa

What country are you living in?

the baltics. cops anywhere else than 3 biggest cities are just as clueless about technology as regular people. I mean they do use laptops and stuff but they have bigger problems than searching for a dumbass without a radio license (without interfering with legit radio traffic of course)

I have a hard-on for quads. No signal fade.

Ok then, it may be ok for you. I can only say two of my friends (living in Germany) got asked stupid questiosn about their UV5r's by a police offcer that met them on their hike.
He insisted to see their licenses. which they didn't have.
So it went an endless debate about getting the radios confiscated or not.
At the end, the police officer stopped bullying them. So they had luck.

>The Baofeng UV5r and its likes are not certified GMRS or FRS radios.
>even tough they are able to TX on these frequencies/channes, they are oficially not allowed to be used on them.
>If you want to transmit on FRS or GMRS you need a licensed dedicated radio for these frequencies.
>Even hams with a license are not allowed to use ham radios on GMRS and FRS.
Why the fuck not, seriously? Is there any valid reason for it, or is it just a cash grab collusion between license issuers and equipment makers? The excuse that the radio can also transmit at other frequencies is bullshit, that's like saying my car is not allowed to drive in neighbourhoods because it is capable of going 250 mph on a freeway (and I don't drive 250 mph on freeways either even though I technically could because I'm a licensed driver and a responsible fucking adult).

So I have a wish list on amazon just full of random shit I want for “when shit hits the fan” my grandpa bought amazon.com/TYT-MD-380-Moto-TRBO-Radio/dp/B00X6FYWWS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516484793&sr=8-2&keywords=Tyt

What can I do with it?

>DMR Tier I products are for license-free use in the 446 MHz band in the European Union.
>In North and South America the 446.0 - 446.2 MHz band is part of the amateur radio 70 cm band and requires an amateur radio license.
>DMR Tier II covers licensed conventional radio systems, mobiles and hand portables operating in PMR frequency bands from 66-960MHz.
>MOTOTRBO is a Motorola digital radio product marketed primarily to business/industrial users. The format is based on, and compatible with the European 2-slot DMR standard and uses Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) to effectively accommodate two simultaneous users.

>repeater for walkie talkie frequencies

>ctrl + f pastebin
>Not found

Why didn't you include the Sup Forums radio pasta?

>Why the fuck not, seriously? Is there any valid reason for it
FRS and GMRS equipment needs to be certified specifically for the use. With an amateur radio the radio isn't licensed, the licensee is, but this license doesn't cover FRS/GMRS as it's not an amateur band.

Because I wasn't aware it exists?

>it needs to be certified because it needs to be certified
Ok.

Every radio not for amateur use needs part 15 and possibly other certifications, that's just how it works.

so jews are the real reason

Sounds like jewry to me.