I unironically fell in love with C. What jobs can I get?

I started studying C recently for a Systems level class. I unironically fell in love with it. Is C still relevant or is it outdated by languages like Rust? What programming jobs can I get with it? Are there a lot of C jobs?

Other urls found in this thread:

madnight.github.io/githut/#/pull_requests/2017/4
indeed.com/q-Entry-Level-C-Programmer-jobs.html
developer.arm.com/open-source/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm/downloads
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I love C too. But my love is more like love of a pervert. I love C from very long distance.

>Is C still relevant or is it outdated by languages like Rust?

madnight.github.io/githut/#/pull_requests/2017/4

>What programming jobs can I get with it?
>Are there a lot of C jobs?
indeed.com/q-Entry-Level-C-Programmer-jobs.html

e m b e d d e d

Thanks

Every language is just C, C++ and Lisp. Learn them three and you're pretty much gold.

Thanks. Is there a modern LISP I should learn? Like, where do I start with it? Any recommendations?

Also, why LISP as say, opposed to Haskell?

C isn't used often nowadays, but the good thing is, if you understand C it will be easy for you to learn other relevant languages like C++, C# or Java.

Clojure is a modern Lisp.

Haskell's type-system is autistic, and pure FP is retarded because useful programs have side-effects. We shouldn't make IO feel like a dirty thing you only do in private, like fapping.

>What programming jobs can I get with it?
Fixing buffer overflows on old software.

I love C too. I do embedded OS programming.

Ignore the rusties. OS and bare metal systems are going to use C. You can not make a processor in this age and not have a C compiler for it. No one will even think about touching your product with out that support. Doesn't have a compiler in rust? Few people give a shit.

If you want to make the next cloud or web jiggler disregard C. If you want to make planes fly, cars drive and let the all the high level kiddies live in their land of language abstraction C will continue to live.

I write C professionally for an embedded Linux system.
It would be the perfect programming job, but the code that is already here is fucking atrocious, and I constantly wish I could just rewrite the whole fucking thing.

I'm with ya nigga. I'm taking another systems programming class this semester too.

The thing is, this is basically the experience of every C programmer that I have spoke to.

That's why I don't like C.

Yeah but, muh immutability and trivial parallelism.

I was extremely clear that the person/people who wrote the code I'm dealing with had no idea how to write programs for unix-like systems at all.
They also abuse the shit out of multithreading in the most inappropriate ways.

I do full stack C# web applications at work and it's sucked out most of the joy I had for programming.
But, for some reason, time flies when I'm working in C.

I think it's because C#, Java, and the like have gotten too easy for me, where C is still a challenge at times.

Is gee just full of college students? You're all fucking stupid.

Sure C is neat and all but in industry it's awful. Prepare to be underpaid and have trouble finding a job. I recommend sticking with Java.

>recommends clojure
>useful programs have side effects

You know clojure forces immutability right?

Immutability is a good thing. It makes systems easier to understand and reduces errors by magnitudes. It's easier to write impure functions but pure functions are better.

>sticking with Java
have fun getting replaced by indians mate

Have fun graduating college

>never used haskell in his life
monads != IO if thats what youre thinking, monads are like a level of abstraction above functors, which have nothing to do with IO either
"pure FP" is not retarded at all because side effects can be easily explained with a "hidden" state varaible (since computers are just state machines)
>inb4 clojure was used in boeing planes

C will be relevant as long as *nix dominates backends everywhere.

You'll probably be doing a lot of maintenance programming though.

>You know clojure forces immutability right
Wrong.

(import java.util.ArrayList)
(def x (ArrayList.))
(.add x "mutable")
(str x) ; "[mutable]"

Clojure's core datatypes are persistent (although transients are available which are simple to use), but it makes no restriction that all ADTs are persistent.

>Immutability is a good thing
Usually, yes. But not when you are writing to disk, or adding a record to a database. You're lying to yourself if you think that forcing those operations to appear referentially transparent makes the system easier to reason about.

I am aware of how monads work. My argument is that using monads to ensure you have referential transparency is (essentially) useless, and the cognitive load it introduces is simply not worth it. I'm aware that we can explain side-effects that way, it just doesn't have any far-reaching ramifications that imply super robust software, in practice (to date).

t.Pajeet

Did you just graduate from the mumbai school of poo in loo?

>calling java functions allow mutability
No shit

>not when you are adding to a database
I agree with that, which is why java interop is nice

>C isn't used often nowadays
citation needed

It's outdated by C++.

Fuck off Bjarne.

Sounds like a typical software job at a medium to large size company.

D*

Rust*

>muh jobs
some people have higher goals and motivations than just being employed

Sup Forums is the only place I have every heard anyone talk about Rust. The only place.

Literally the only place.

Like what? Are you gonna write a new kernel? Unless it's in rust no one will care. Are you gonna write an application? Have fun doing ten times as much work on development for a 10% increase in performance over java.

It's still relevant for maintaining old legacy systems that were implemented in C years ago. But it's not really relevant for new things. Rust is the future.

If you like C, try golang.

Litteraly identical to you except we don't have an OS, the codebase is such garbage twisted mess
Slowly chipping away by sneaking refactors by my boss when he's not looking; but it's hard when everything is tied together like a hair ball

t. HR

I use C almost every day

>not using glorious C++17 for bare metal arm dev with gcc 7.2.
developer.arm.com/open-source/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm/downloads

aware of how monads work != having actually used them in practice

If you knew about monads other than the IO one, you'd know they actually *reduce* cognitive load significant, you idiot. Or are you one of those brainlets that thinks maintaining a giant web of if-statements is less of an overhead than just using a maybe monad somehow?

What golang has to do with C? It's a compiled scripting language for python kids.

>Also, why LISP as say, opposed to Haskell?
because the pajeetfags here are too damn lazy to learn Haskell. Dynamic languages are a lie, they just shove all the complexity of types under the rug and expect you to deal with it all in your head with no adequate tooling to help you out. Types are a mathematical fact of life regardless of what anyone says, the sooner you realize that and embrace a language that helps you actually work with them efficiently, the better off you'll be. See pic related.

>Every language is just C, C++ and Lisp
How detached from the current state of the industry do you have to be to parrot slogans from the 80s in 2018?

Is it possible to get hired without a degree and without a lifetime of hours spent on open source commits?

C sucks, too bad it's the only usable language out there.

If there's one language Pajeets are good at, it's Haskell. It's like night and day, they're utter shit at things like Javascript but when it comes to mathematics they are solid.

I got an internship at Cisco for this summer, going to write code in C/C++... Sigh...
Why can't I use something more productive, Java is not the best, but at least you can make something with it before you die from old age

I come from a theoretical math background. I am intimately familiar with monads. In that background, they actually provide you with something valuable.

You don't need a maybe monad, if the semantics of your language aren't total trash.

It's a real language by the creators of C.

>Like what?

I'm a PHP developer, I hate it.
I only have a HS diploma and want a job in C, is it even possible? The few jobs in C I found where I live require to at least be advanced in college.
I guess I'm fucked.

C and Sepples man here

>hard to get a job

Nope, the two jobs I've had (second being my current) fell in my lap as a fresh CS undergraduate

Most young people today are literally soymen who only learn JS, Java, Rust and such

I'm a 18yo, been programming for like 5 months, almost entirely in C and just a lil bit of Assembly using dosbox and TASM for fun.
So far I just made a few utility and math programs for my professors.
I tried python but it felt like I had to learn too much shit and functions to do things """the pythonic way""".
I wonder where I will end up with this.

You're on the right path

I use Python extensively at work too despite being hired as a C++ developer

It's great for testing algorithms, formatting program output for presentation, testing network communication (simulating your customer's weird setup) etc.

Are you there, ? I have to let you know, there is a fool who has fallen in love with you.

It is me.

I am not a fag as you might think. I have no interest in homo things.
However, something began to swell greatly in me after I saw your posts.
Without even thinking, I came across one of your posts while I fapped.
Ah, even to me it was unpleasant. However, on a certain day I read one of your posts and started fapping.
From the beginning to the end I thought of you.

74 times... this is the number of times I have come reading your posts.

Perhaps, you think that you will reject me. But remember this: I will always be. near you

When you feel someone's hot breath on your neck on a crowded train, it is me.
When you notice someone staring at you in a strange way on the other side of the aracade, it is me.
When you pick up the phone and can only hear panting, it is me.

While you read this, I had already started...

If you pair that knowledge with decent math skills you have a bright future.

>creators of C
>only one of them
>and rob pike
>who most likely did all the work

>JS, Java, Rust
JS brainlets dont learn Rust, its too hard for them, thats why they learn JS in the first place, everything is too hard for them

congratulations, you (claim to) know some category theory. You still don't sound like you know what you're talking about, because you're making it sound as if a basic mundane thing like a maybe monad is required, or a complex mental burden somehow. Surely you can appreciate the usefulness of kleisli categories in anything that can have something even remotely equivalent to a null value, with your prestigious "theoretical math" background? Or perhaps you have some other magical reason for why more and more languages are adopting monadic patterns every day? Because surely someone as intelligent as yourself has picked up on the trend of practically all other languages becoming more haskell-like over time. You sound more like a bitterly butthurt java->scala dev than anyone who's ever worked with any actual haskell.

>it felt like I had to learn too much shit
get used to it if you choose to pursue this field as a career. Constant learning and mental dexterity are minimum requirements in this industry, otherwise you'll quickly have no clue what it is you're doing and start accidentally programming yourself into pickles. Exposing yourself to the way other languages/paradigms do things is one of the most important things you can do.

Granted, I have not worked with any large Haskell application. To be fair, very few people have, because very few of those applications actually exist. I'd be surprised if you could tell me about covariants, adjoints, etc. though, and I seriously doubt that most Haskell programmers understand what they are doing.

Here's a simple task: identity *why* programmers should care about using Monads for referential transparency, or explain how they help build more reliable software.

If you can't do that, perhaps you are the brainlet.

I reiterate my positions: good semantics for 'null'y things (like Lisp's) adequately solves the problem and is more accessible. Just because you *can* abstract something, doesn't mean you *should*.

HN Rust Evangelical Strike Force?

at that point connections
otherwise I'd do a little bit of what you listed
seriously who would hire someone without any proof that they can do the job?

Oh and I should mention there are people who have both who have trouble entering the industry.