Elementary OS

Is this still relevant? Thinking of going back to Linux -- used eOS a few years ago and liked it but thought it was a little raw. And would be a good way of getting my GF into Linux because it's all pretty and shit, but is it stable? Any eOS users can comment? TY

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TErrIvyj_lU
theregister.co.uk/2016/02/21/linux_mint_hacked_malwareinfected_isos_linked_from_official_site/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just install CloverOS

You shouldn't use eOS unless you're a noob. just install the pantheon desktop on arch.

I need it to just work.
I'm a noob to Linux, yeah. Why Arch?

It is not rock-solid stable as, let's say, Debian yet. It's still pretty ok for browser+office though.
>Is this still relevant?
more relevant than ever, since they released a software repository with a bunch of elementary-styled programs. So you have more programs following their design etc etc

Don't listen to , this is a great way to ensure unstability (as even the arch wiki say). The only other distribution you can reliably install and use Pantheon is Fedora, and it is more bugged than elementary. Unless you need it for a very specific reason, I see no reason to install Pantheon in other distros now. Maybe when it becomes more stable.

>OP asks "but is it stable?"
>recommend Arch instead
Arch is not stable. It never will be because of how it's developed. Anyone who is even remotely worried about stable software should not use Arch over others.

OP, install Debian stable or at most, Debian testing. Debian testing is what Ubuntu LTS is based on, so it's still stable. You can also install Ubuntu LTS.

Official baby's first distro, i bet you searched for "best linux distros" on google before installing it.

I've no time/interest in getting good with Linux so I don't see the problem with a babysteps approach here. I just want performance and stability for my shit laptop and Windows doesn't give me that. Thanks for the bump.

bnm

What would be the advantage of going Debian testing over stable?

Newer packages, but less stable (it may have more bugs and can be used as a rolling distribution if you want).
Personally I prefer stable. It just works, it keeps just working.

Can I put that windows95 theme on it? Chicago95 I think it's called. How easy is that to do?

You can, that is just a GTK+ theme for XFCE. I suppose it is pretty easy just like every other theme. Haven't done it myself.

I put my mom on Solus. She gets along with it just fine. Ubuntu is another good choice, but apparently Canonical sends data back to Amazon or some shit. I've heard good things about Fedora workstation as well.

If you don't give the slightest shit about learning Linux then...yeah, sure, it works for that. But there are other distros which are pretty much just as easy - nearly any "Ubuntu+DE" distro would suit you fine.

I'd recommend Xubuntu because its DE cuts most of the fat, and it light and stable because of it. eOS tries too hard to be its own thing, but all it manages to do is be a feature-starved macOS ripoff.

pantheon is cool and i'd use elementary but
>ubuntu 16.04
literally debian stable has newer packages.

being a little raw as you say is exactly what I liked about eos. I also used it a lot a few years ago, it just seemed really unique to me how bare it was. that sounds like a bad thing but it sort of reminded me of older computers, it just has these generically named programs to do all the general essential computer stuff, and nothing else. everything was hidden from you, but not at all forcefully. it unironically gave me the impression that it's what osx SHOULD have been like.

>hey guys elementary is like linux but easy it's so great I swear
>yeah okay, it's not like it costs money
>install
>window borders are really thin making it annoying to resize
>scrollbar is fuckn tiny and annoying to use
>window buttons are weird and annoying to use
>try to suspend to ram cuz I'm going grocery shopping
>system hangs
>okay restart
>try to suspend to ram
>doesn't do anything
>okay well I should write some shit for work, fuck groceries
>libreoffice crashes
>well that's fine I'll just google docs
>firefox won't launch
>
>go back to debian
>interface isn't shitass weird because it's stock xfce, libreoffice works fine, firefox launches properly, upload work, suspend to ram, go to bed
lelementary is garbage

So I see you're running Gnome.

>gf
>my

I ran Elementary OS and it is a nice OS, but the devs called people that don't donate, cheaters. Their OS is free to download but you need to put $0.00 in the text field to download. It is very stable, but it was very buggy where certain applications on the dock wouldn't even run.

If you want something that looks like macos or windows just give her deepin os... eOS looks like shit in comparisson.

Forgot to mention it is based on debian. So stable should not be a problem. On my laptop it just works.

Why not use Mac OS instead? You cannot beat the real thing. Many GNU/Linux users try to make their desktops look like Mac OS, but they fail to hit the mark.

>Not installing Mac OS on your non Apple related hardware.

it looks great. But sadly GNU/Linux is better.

>tfw no FOSS aqua on linux
There GNUstep but still...

>better
That is subjective. You can still rice it or do anything normies do on other operating systems

>create and edit music
Apple has you covered. It comes with Garage Band that you can download for free and there is other software you can buy

>Edit movies
You can easily do that on Mac OS and Apple has iMovie and there is professional media tools

>Games
There are probably more games available on Steam with Mac OS compared to GNU/Linux. Steam came out on Mac OS first.

>programing and scripting
There are plenty of programing tools, IDE's, etc.

Art programs like Photoshop, Affitiny Photo, Pixelmator, etc.

>Muh netflix
Apple has you covered

There are many things you can do on Mac OS and it is easy to use.

>Free
whoops!

not to mention the retarded vulnerabilities as of late. Also, you can't deny that GNU/Linux is way more flexible. The only thing I like about Mac is Aqua. I have all the software I need on GNU/Linux

what the fuck does flexible mean. just spit some actual paragraphs instead of some buzzwords please

Mac OS is free. Just go on the appstore and download the latest version.

>vulnerabilities
Have been patched, except maybe one, but that is only on High Sierra

>Mac OS Sierra
Bug free.

>GNU/Linux is way more flexible
No. You can install custom desktop environments more easily, but that is about it.

Meh, I think eOS isn't need, Pantheon DE is made for person who, need an only transparency and Mac- like GUI

I mean free as in freedom ya dingus.

>flexible
Well for one, I can fully customize which DE I want to use, as well as the login screen.
Linux can run on non Intel hardware.
No vendor lock-in bullshit.

>Have been patched, except maybe one
one is one too many

no kernel panics/downtime.

The biggest issue for me is that it is not open source, and does not run on my hardware (I tried hackingtosh and it was a pain to install, Linux just werks!)

ever heard of LFS, m8?

Elementary cant update from one release to the next for the time being so i would not recommend.(plus they apparently started working on the 0.5 release)

>non Intel hardware
Mac OS can run on AMD or Intel and the early versions of Mac OS X ran on PPC

>Free as in freedom
If you wanted free as in freedom, then why did you ask about Elementary OS? Elementary OS isn't free as in freedom. Free and open source, but you can still download non free software and you have non free binary blobs. Most distros are non free. They may be free in cost, but not entirely free.

If you want free as in freedom, use Trisquel or GNU-Sense. It is free as in freedom. Also, you need to use Libre boot as that bios supports your freedom.

>one too many
Implying GNU/Linux is perfect in the security department.

youtube.com/watch?v=TErrIvyj_lU

If that isn't proof enough, then explain how come the Linux Mint system ISO's were compromised.

theregister.co.uk/2016/02/21/linux_mint_hacked_malwareinfected_isos_linked_from_official_site/

>unsandboxed windows application running through wine
lol.
Also, Mint was a result of the website being hijacked.
You need to provide examples better than that, m9.

>not using Solus or Sabayon Linux

that just looks like themed gnome desu get debian stretch and put a nice theme on it and install dash to dock

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware

>implying GNU/Linux is the safest
Why not use a flavor of BSD?

Also, you haven't explained why you want a free as in freedom distro, yet you asked about Elementary OS. People say they don't want to install Mac OS because they want free and open source, which is understandable, yet people install non free distros and closed source software.

>referring to Elementary OS as "eOS"

RRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

So, are you the type of retard that likes to deal in absolutes? Also, that's a very limited list of malware. Most of them are even pretty old, some target android and some requires an exploit found in third-party software.

no gaems

Elementary is shit. Use Xubuntu or Kubuntu.