Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums

If you could buy basically an empty laptop shell with it's own battery and decent display that was powered by your phone's processor would you do it? Not like project linda, like I have it here where you'd just load up an app and plug in one USB cable

Let's say either your phone can dual boot the upcoming windows on ARM or some other desktop OS that works on ARM and also has some X86 emulation.

Maybe the shell has an M.2 slot or 2 as well so you can put the windows ARM on there perminantly

What do you think about such a product?

Could this be the way we bring back UMPCs?

How do we get one in the shape of a T420 or other thinkpad of your choosing?

Other urls found in this thread:

store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/laptops/hp-elite-x3--1
sentio.com/preorder
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

but why.gif
just extended battery life?
there's extra batteries or plugs for that..
for a better screen?
there's portable rollup screens..
for a keyboard?
there's portable rollup keyboards..
pleast explain..

So you can have the laptop workflow experience and I/O without needing all of the hardware in the laptop?

Or build a modern UMPC that doesn't need hardware crammed inside of it?

Or if you really liked old thinkpads but don't want C2D hardware in them?

naw, in the last decade or so I've gotten so accustomed to speed that I think I would be jaded with how slow it is. I have a good laptop already. Although I guess I could see uses if I'm out of town or something. If the screen could semi-seamlessly fold up into a smaller phone sized rectangle it would be absolute money

you mean something like WP10 did? store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/laptops/hp-elite-x3--1

>laptop workflow experience
top kek, laptops are anything but ergonomic
>UMPC that doesn't need hardware crammed inside of it?
do you not realize how small and near weightless this shit already is? macbook airs exist, how the hell are you going to compete with that when you have an even worse keyboard and require phone tethering?

>Or if you really liked old thinkpads
nobody likes laptop designs lol. they just need something portable so they keep using them.

windows phone? and proprietary stuff?

Window 10 ARM should be doing a lot to actually help any project like that since it'll have the X86 emulation

Old thinkpads have great keyboards

If I can get like a UMPC type device that's a light shell powered by my phone I would totally do it just to have a decent keyboard in my pocket I can use for coding on the go

if you're op, you literally said
>your phone can dual boot the upcoming windows on ARM
>so you can put the windows ARM on there perminantly

That a one or the other type of thing, I think it would be better if you can just borrow the processing power and leave an SSD onboard the laptop shell with windows 10 ARM there

This is in production. Google the Superbook Kickstarter.

>$100
I dont see any way it could be good with them still making a profit. Its either gonna be trash or there's going to be some sort of telemetry or data collection scheme somewhere. Or it will be a whole bunch of chink shit tossed together with no actual engineering

>coding
kys

>Superbook Kickstarter.
Perfect kind of, but when does it actually come to market? And has anyone reviewed it?

Sorry I actually have a job user-kun, maybe someday you'll have one too!

In a perfect world this would be ideal. If it ever becomes possible to scale down modern hardware to the size of a phone (ie, an i7, 1080ti phone), I think this would be a lot more practical than most current laptop designs, or even desktop's in most cases. We're no where close, but its definitely going to happen eventually.

Kind of sad in a way, but Im hoping we eventually just plateau in terms of the need for more computing power. The need for building/upgrading pc's will drastically lessen

It's up to $200 now for the 1080 IPS model, base model is a completely worthless 768p TN display

sentio.com/preorder

Their manufacturer gave them a good offer but took it back when the price of parts went up. They spent a year looking for investors and a new manufacturer plus added upgrades to make up the loss.

Shipping will hopefully start next month. However, they delayed the shipping date many times already.

Guess I'll wait for reviews then, but it still lacks my windows 10 ARM requirement for what I need

>If the screen could semi-seamlessly fold up into a smaller phone sized rectangle it would be absolute money

i'm still baffled as to why they aren't in consumers hands yet. they're just OLEDs.

>it just to have a decent keyboard in my pocket I can use for coding on the go
yeah, but there's no way you can comfortably fit a worthwhile keyboard into your pocket.. the rollup ones are just appletear in quality, at which point what do you need a rollup screen for as bluetooth keyboards already exist as do phone kickstands.

Why does the pic show the phone being completely external?
Last I heard, the idea was for the phone to sit where the track pad normally does, so you can use the touch screen for mouse controls.
Razer must be patent trolling, though. They can't seriously think people will buy their phone, when they're really only known for PC peripherals, and then buy the laptop that only works with their phone, can they?

No, modern snapdragons are still shit. Snapdagon 835 can only emulate the 32-bit versions of simple shit like Office, you wouldn't want to use it for anything more.

If it can do notepad++ that's all I need