/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES
>Mobile World Congress 2018 starts February 26th

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oV5LQcmuGg8
techradar.com/news/could-this-be-our-first-look-at-lgs-foldable-phone
youtube.com/watch?v=OfAknufAUjg
forum.xda-developers.com/g5-plus/help/definite-fix-low-call-volume-t3656414
download.lineageos.org/us997
download.lineageos.org/h870
support.google.com/nexus/answer/2840804?hl=en
android.stackexchange.com/questions/170389/how-do-i-enable-the-mtp-functions-on-my-nexus-5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Moto e4 worth it? Or is there something better for cheaper than the 99 USD I'd spend on that? Just need something for calls, sms, clover, and basic web browsing.

It has a mediakek chip so no roms for you but if you dont care about this it will be completely fine for the price.

Walmart had it for $40, it may still have it. We had best buy price match it to use while the wifes V10 that bootlooped is getting replaced.

American version uses snapdragon

>phone almost at the end of warranty
>Battery starts to fuck up

Wow, I actually managed to lose my phone. Tried locating it through the account but apparently the battery died yesterday 3:20am. How likely is it that someone can break into it if it was stolen? I'm wondering if I should lock it or just erase everything if I never find it

My Samsung Galaxy Alpha drains battery to almost zero overnight when idle. I know battery itself is fine. Any good recommendations on apps that would give me better battery stats? Or general troubleshooting help, googling the issue wasn't very helpful.

I type quicker on a phone with buttons than that touchscreen-qwerty crap.

Fuck. I just picked up a OnePlus 5t and found out LineageOS hasn't been released yet. Anyone have any suggestions for a good alternative, or should I stick to stock? I've always stuck with CM/Lineage for years now.

Can a note 8 owner tell me what they're battery performance is like? I am a new owner and I just switched from a pixel 2 XL because I wasn't happy with everything it had to offer.

The pixel 2 XL got 1% battery loss over a 10-15 minute youtube video, while the note 8 is seeing a 1-2% loss over a 5 minute video, I played with the camera app for about 5 minutes and lost 3% battery. Is this phone defective or is this normal for the note??

hey guys, I was planning on buying a Samsung Note 8 on monday but I heard that S9 was gonna get announced on February
Should I wait for the price drop or should I just go for it?

>what is T9

I just bought a note 8 because, and I spoke with a rogers rep who is a friend about this, the S9 is going to be pretty expensive at launch even with contract discounts, it makes more sense to buy the note 8 now with a good discount, and then sell it when you wanna get something else and just pay the difference. Then again I was about to get my note 8 for $150 because I used to work customer service and I know how to talk to the phone reps and get to a manager and sweet talk them the right way, but eh.

In the end it comes down to what you want more too. I love the s-pen.

Just wait, Oneplus phones are really popular for custom ROM development so it'll get LineageOS soon enough

The battery is eh, I charge it every 2 days, Twitter Discord and Youtube throughout the day, total 10 hours screen time maybe?

Want the pen for art and shit? Note 8, if not, literally any other phone.

so if I'm getting 5-6 hours screen time then I probably have a defective unit?

It seemed to be a bit shit when I first got it but after a week or so it settled down and worked good.

I also disabled a lot of shit on it. Bixby is disabled, I turned off the Spen screen off write, I turned off the always-on screen, etc.
Also the internal speaker can sound really decent when you push up the bass on the system equalizer.

Do you use QHD or FHD+ screen setting?

Full res, 2960x1440.

Is aliexpress the best place to buy chink?

I just lost 4% over less than 5 minutes in multi-task mode.

Is there finally a 5" phone with small bezels?

Essential phone is 5.7, i know not quite what you're looking for but bezels are very small.

youtube.com/watch?v=oV5LQcmuGg8

techradar.com/news/could-this-be-our-first-look-at-lgs-foldable-phone

i want this phone so badly

Not at all what I'm looking for. I guess I'll keep waiting. I can't believe chinks came to the conclusion that I want a 2:1 memeresolution 5.5"+ phone. All I wanted was a 5" phone roughly the size of an iPhone 5. Why is that too much to ask?

This.
I was a motherfucking beast with T9.
Touchscreen qwerty killed my typing speed.

Femanon here

The market wants large screened phones because we all use them as our primary media-consumption device.

There's no real money to be made by targeting manlets with tiny hands who want a dinky phone they can fit in their purse

God Damn I hate that pic.

user from your first thread here.
You testing isnt very scientific. Battery meters arent completely precise. Don't worry so much about the percentage meter.

4 hours is normal for this phone in hard use. Actually it's not bad compared to other phones either.

youtube.com/watch?v=OfAknufAUjg
In this test the note8 lasts 4.5h and the pixel2XL 5h.
That is with "equalized" brightness (by eye), and with most things except wifi turned off. WIth more stuff on, including the camera, the batter will drain faster.

>He didn't use prediction
It actually worked quite well after using it for a while, allowing the system to get accustomed to your vocabulary.

Tits or GTFO you blue-haired slut

Use a dark/black theme and wallpapers, lower brightness and disable AOD and apps you don't use. But 5-6h SoT sounds about normal for a Note 8

hey pals iam trying to connect transdrone with deluge and works on the local network but when i disconnect from wifi and use data give me error, i open the ports and put the external ip

whats wrongs?? i think is a problem of the device, a xiaomi redmi4

How much better is the Pixel 2 than the G5+ if I mostly care about screen and audio quality rather than photos and gaming?

Hi guys

Official Lineage 15 when? 2019?

Eventually. Soon. Unofficial is pretty stable, though.

Is there any phone thats better than the S7 EDGE and has the following shit:

>front fp scanner
>water resistance
>SD card
>5.5 or bigger screen?

gsmarena has a phone finder that lets you search by features like that

Blackberry Motion

HTC U11

Do you guys use Twitter? Official app or something else?

Call volume is a big problem on the g5+, so way better there.

should i replace my nexus 5X with the iphone SE? i'm in love with that little guy

What don't you like about the Nexus 5?

I heard that the U11 is pretty shit

Worse than s7

Is it $400 worse, though?

Web.

>U11 is pretty shit
It's better than S7E

battery is dying and i'm curious to try iOS. i could get an SE new for under 300 euros

It's bad enough that a lot of people are returning them.

Too expensive compared to the S7

You can buy a really nice BT speaker for that.

The low call volume was fixed ages ago

Replace the battery. Probably like €50 at a repair shop.

iOS isn't that much nicer than Android. And it basically requires iTunes.

Would be nice. Sadly it's a hardware issue that can't be fixed with a software update.

Australian here, what are some suggestions for flagship models without gimmicky tapered edge bezels or any bullshit like that?
I'm also after removable storage, aux port obviously, removable battery is nice but not necessary.
Also, location and carrier should probably be irrelevant as I'll likely be shipping from the states

Wrong

Is the 4X still budget king?

Check out Sony flagships and Nokia 8

Shitty call volume isn't generally a thing that can be fixed. There are everliving shittons of reviews about the bad call volume, and they continue to get posted. If you would like to link something confirming that they have somehow fixed it, go right ahead.

i already use itunes since i have an ipod for music, i'm ok with that

Best 2018 flagship?

Is the S8 still king?

It was a firmware issue and got fixed with an update. If you check, all the posts complaining about the issue were made several months ago

Pixel 2 / 2 XL and iPhone X

Just broke the screen of my Nexus 5 yesterday after all I had to do was buy a new battery off Amazon. Now, I have to buy a new phone. Is there a phone recommended that has the functionality similar to a Nexus 5. The most important attribute for me is connectivity to a laptop so that I can torrent shit on my phone and then watch/listen it on my laptop, which for some strange fucking reason, my Nexus 5 started not doing.

>several months ago
First thing I click, Newegg mentions it in mid december. Again, why don't you link literally anything confirming that. This is an anonymous board annon. People make up bullshit all the time.

Will the g6 ever get proper ROM support?

>Check out Sony flagships and Nokia 8

Any idea where one could buy Nokia 8 TA-1004 (it's the dual sim, international version)?

What's best cheap phone with a decent screen and battery life? I'm in the UK and don't give a shit what network I'm on, but I'm currently on Vodafone.

There's vague insinuations on Reddit that it was fixed in the October update but this thread from this month suggests it's not quite fixed yet.

forum.xda-developers.com/g5-plus/help/definite-fix-low-call-volume-t3656414

I have t-mobile and live in US.

download.lineageos.org/us997

US version only so far.

Also, a phone where the company does not pimp you out to the government and give all your information without even asking why.

Anyone else order a Gemini?

I don't get it, I used to be able to message fucking fast without looking at my phone at all using T9. Now I type like a fucking snail hoping my smartphone's word prediction will pick the right word, spamming backspace all the time, trying to touch the screen to move the cursor to capitalize a letter. I have the full keyboard I should be faster.

greenify

Get the screen repaired. Should cost like $100.

Why does Lightning Browser close my tabs instead of going back to my search results for my selected we browser? I really want to turn this off, or could you guys recommend a botnet free browser that is close to its snappiness.

download.lineageos.org/h870
The European model also has a few nightlies available but it doesn't seem very usable.

Are there any alternatives for a xz premium?, i dont mind wasting more for a better phone.

Apple is about your only option. They seem to be the least cooperative. At least until the Librem 5 comes out in a year.

Twidere from f-droid. It also works with Mastodon and supports multiple accounts on each.

Cool.

The thing is that when I connect my phone to any laptop it does not give me the option to transfer files. I have tried everything off the internet, even restore the phone to factory setting but nothing seems to fix that shit which is also the main motivator for a new phone. The cracked screen is a catalyst.

Use gsmarena's phone finder to search for phones with the specs important to you. Then read reviews.

Yeah, I really think it's a hardware issue. The fact that it's lasted this long just makes a stronger case for that. I've had that problem before. There's only so much you can turn up the volume before you just end up blowing out peoples voices.

It's a shame too, because otherwise it's pretty good hardware. But there's no way I'm dealing with that again, or busting out my blutooths every time I want to have a conversation. If you're one of those people who just texts it's probably a better deal.

How do you filter by verizon only?

Your phone is not a USB drive. You have to enable USB stuff (I forget what off hand or I'd tell you) in developer options (which you enable by clicking the OS version or something a bunch of time in the about section of settings) to do that. I set up a SMB server on my desktop and use ASTRO to move files over WiFi to avoid that. You could also send files via Bluetooth.

True. The thing is that before this past summer I never had to do anything to it. The option would always pop up every time I connected the USB cable.

Also, I do not know about Bluetooth. I torrent a bunch of shit and the jews probably know how to get around that shit.

CDMA phones that use channels 2, 4, and 13 for LTE will work on Verizon in the US.

LG G5

support.google.com/nexus/answer/2840804?hl=en

android.stackexchange.com/questions/170389/how-do-i-enable-the-mtp-functions-on-my-nexus-5

I really need a new iphone, what should I buy, Sup Forums, 8 or X? Don't want an overly large phone, so the 8 plus is out. I'm moving towards the 8 since from what I've heard FaceID is kinda wonky and I'm not sure about how good OLED panels are in long term, even as good as the one in X, and the extra €350 I'd save would be kind of nice. On the other hand, paying 800€ for a 720p display in 2018 seems ridiculous.

Is the problem with the V30 screens fixed?