Trackballs

Who is the king of balls?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=laser trackballs
cursorcontrols.com/markets/defence/
blog.codinghorror.com/mouse-dpi-and-usb-polling-rate/
amazon.com/ELECOM-M-DT2URBK-Trackball-finger-function/dp/B0171QQ7IY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I can't do it with just my thumb, so the upper right one is out. I prefer the lower left one, had one for a while.

What's wrong with your thumbs?

Whats the purpose of the trackball? What advantage does it give me over the mouse?

It's doesn't strain your wrist and you don't have to move the thing around.

it's a stupid meme like mechanical keyboards.

OP

? You use index and middle finger on that one. You have mutant hands or something?

this is what I thought until decided to try one after my old mouse died on me. after a week or two, I was as accurate with it as the standard mouse. my wrist/hand/arm feels better and now I don't need a huge area for my mouse. it just sits right next to my keyboard at a perfect distance and comfortable angle.

Can’t afford a k70? What’s are you poor?

I've got the wireless version of the bottom right, I'm going to sell it to my friend and get a SlimBlade

It produces a different strain on you wrist and hands from a standard mouse, so it's good for people who have used a mouse for a long time.

Touchscreen or pen and tablet is better for input except in infinite scroll situations

what trackball for linux? kensington orbit werks? I need something cheapo and available in poorland but i can invest more if i have to, so anything wired up to the price of logitech M570, but id rather not use the thumb one because my right thumb is shitty

slimblade for $105 or expert for $79? any better options in australia?

You don't have to approach this as an either/or question. I use both. I have an ambidextrous mouse mouse for my left hand and a trackball for my right. The trackball is wireless, so I can sit back in my chair and rest it on my leg while using it and give my posture and shoulder a break. During my general workflow, I move my hands to whichever mouse or the keyboard as is most efficient or convenient at the moment. Been doing this for nearly two decades now with about 20 flavors of mouse & trackball, so it's all at the muscle memory level of subconscious. My brain just flows toward what I'm trying to do onscreen and my hands get out of the way. About five years ago I picked up a copy of DragonSpeak, so about 1/3 to half the time I'm eliminating mouse clicks and blocks of typing completely. I can't even watch normies autism their way through simple tasks anymore. I've literally walked out of rooms to stop myself from screaming at them for taking 5 minutes to do what takes me about 20 seconds.

CST

>DragonSpeak
didn't that company go bankrupt years ago?

Orbit scroll werked better in linux than windows for me desu senpai

Out of those, bottom right, used that one a lot. But my personal favorite is the classic trackman.

is have used the M570 for years with linux. just werks, it even detects the bat. charge on it.

They're godly for music production. Adjusting automation clips/anything is way easier with a track all.

this.
where can i buy one?seems like a great replacement of trackpad

Logitech MX Ergo. I got mine through Amazon, it's so good I got one for at work too

I started using trackball 10 days ago.

My starter device is Trackman Marble. It's a cheap fingers trackball, but quality is really good.

It's just 300 dpi but it is enough for desktop grade usage and is wonderfull for multiscreen battlestations as you just let ball spin with one rapid movement of fingers and voila your pointer surfs across few screens just by itself. If 300dpi feels too slow for you on high resolutions just set higher value to "mouse" acceleration in your desktop environment.

About gaming with it - I'm currently practicing every day using it to play muh open source FPSes. I set high acceleration and keep sensitivity low. I like how it makes me feel superior in close combat - how easy it makes maneuvering in narrow corridors or after I jump inside the group of enemy players - other players are having problems with tracking my movement in close range combat. You can literally jump in front of other player and then quickly go behind him ad keep behind him watching how he turns around trying to locate where the hell did you go. Priceless. It makes complicated maneuvers feel like easiest thing in the world due to how easy it is to change directions and do instant 90, 180, 270, 3260,720 etc turns. It's also a lot easier tracking other players rapid direction changes but I still feel like being accurate with rapid firing precise weapons will take like a month or more practice. It's however great for weapons with big area damage, almost no one can escape my rockets explosions or how using a lighting gun is pure joy.

It's great if you wanna harm your thumb. They should have been banned by governments all around the world. Save your health and go for fingers trackballs.

I'm loving my M570. Are any of the higher end ones worth it? Has to be wireless and portable since I like using that shit on my lap in bed.

No. It was bought and sold several times over, with WordPerfect at one point really developing it into something pretty amazing. However, it was before its time and didn't tale off like it should have, and now there's a bunch of shitware Cortana/Alexa botnet bullshit that people get for "free." Nuance currently owns it under the name Dragon Naturally Speaking and just released a new version of it in 2017. Since I run Win7 & linux and won't move to anything Windows after Win7, Dragon Naturally Speaking is my comfy go-to because I've used it for years, even had a copy back in the 1990s when it was DragonSpeak (thus, why I use the old name for it). Remains pretty amazing, and they have a solid market in law enforcement, medical and legal offices. It's pretty damned sophisticated and there's pretty much nothing that really competes with it ... excepting in normie space where they only look for "free" apps instead of pro software.

>if you wanna harm your thumb

FUDposter spotted. If you don't like it, say so. No need to lie about shit you know nothing about.

That Elecom is top-tier. Would benefit from slightly more tilt forward and right. I added some rubber feet to the rear left corner of mine to take care of that little niggle.

The software isn't great but works. Unless you're running Mac, in which case you have to manually load a pair of utilities hidden in the package or it won't even start.

is the technology in those things same that was used in old mice with the ball on bottom or did they improve it?

lmgtfy.com/?q=laser trackballs

ur mum

+1

m570 are notorious for developing mouse click issues in a year or so. Would suggest you look into the newer models. The last two trackballs from elecom have wireless versions, one's a fingerball and the other is thumbball so there's a choice, they are also rather cheap.

Or go for the ergo in the picture in the top left, which is a direct upgrade from the m570 by logitech, but more pricey.

>m570 are notorious for developing mouse click issues in a year or so.

Very true. I just soldered in a new omron left click and middle click button in mine. It only takes like 10 minutes if you know how to solder and it saves you $30 on a new mouse.

I really like the M570 but they sure use cheap switches in them. If (((Logitech))) wanted to make the perfect memeball they would make the m570 a tad bigger, add a bit more weight, better Switches, and a better scroll wheel. Also get rid of the plastic bearings and put it ruby or metal ones for long life. Then it would be perfect.

Can't afford a HHKB Type S? What's are you poor?

I have the wired version. Why are you getting the SlimBlade?

>mechanical keyboards
>meme
Lol poorfag

With the SlimBlade you rotate the trackball to scroll

Well the ring on the expert mouse are pretty shit. Hope you got a good deal on the slimblade.

Fuck ton of doctors use it.

I own an older model of this one and a Kensington Expert and this guy is still my daily driver.

this seems to be an issue with all logitech products. why would anyone buy their overpriced chink shit?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOOL

Quality post

Used to use M570 now I use the HUGE and it's the best thing ever.

Whats so special about military balls?

cursorcontrols.com/markets/defence/

Most pictures I see of trackballs being used in military settings have them built into the station. This prevents dangling things with wires like a mouse from flying through the air during combat and the operator losing input function I guess.

If only I could find a retail source for the E50 desktop model.

Elecom Yuge sounds like a great option. Personally I use its predecessor, the M-DT2, which is perfect for me because my main usecase is in awkward positions like in bed, while traveling etc., so the fact that it's unusually small for a trackball is fantastic for me, plus wireless of course.

I recently got the hang of its chink gesture system, and it's actually amazingly useful one you can consistently get the angles right for it to recognise them. Again, when the trackball is a shoulder length away from the laptop because I'm contorted in bed, having basically every useful right-hand button (arrow keys, Enter, backspace, etc. etc.) available without moving my hand to the keyboard is amazingly useful.

Elecom Huge is probably the best hardware-wise, but ergonomically, it still far behind the old Microsoft Trackball Explorer and Logitech Trackman FX. It could've been almost perfect if only the soft palm rest was different shape (higher near the ball, lower towards the back) and the whole device would've been tilted by about 20 degrees. Or with a tilting base like the one on Logitech MX ergo.

>tilting base
Holy shit that sounds great, I wish my DT2 had one.

L-Trac master race

I love my kensington orbit so I bet the kensington expert is pretty good. CST seem nice but they are super overpriced.

I use a orbit on GNU/Linux and it works great.

Nah they use lasers and crystal rollers now, although cheap logishit uses plastic rollers.

How does the customization work? Does it "store profiles" in the mouse like logitech (program in windows, use in linux), or...?

also how big is diameter of the ball & scrollwheel

I have no idea how the customization works, I've never used it because the orbit only has two buttons anyways (left and right click). The ball has a diameter of around 1.5" and the scroll 3".

>cheap logishit

What else is there besides Kensington? These two are the only brands available here.

There's CST, which is overpriced but high quality, and there's elecom which is an asian brand with decent quality.

I use this for a footmouse, when I'm shitposting on multiple systems simultaneously.

They got bought out by one of Kurzweil's companies.

This. CST Laser Trac is a nice trackball. The un-notched scroll wheel isn't to everyone's taste though.

They're rugged and designed to not fail.

>select missile target
>click registers as double click
>DOUBLE MISSILE!

Just get a wooden wedge

I think the only important question is:

Fingers or Thumb?

I tried to use a trackball and all it did was move the pain from my wrist to fingers

I got a vertical mouse instead and it fixed everything

you need good balls if you are going to war

I use both just fine though.

Nope. I used it for literally 3 years and my right thumb hurts now when I grip things with it too tightly.(For example, when opening those plastic packages for shredded cheese and stuff like that) I switched to a regular track ball and it's slowly getting better.
It was an easy trackball to transition from a mouse, but now that I'm used to a regular finger trackball, I wouldn't want to go back.

>footmouse

That sounds incredibly comfy.

Yeah, but 3 years from now, your fingers will be to painful to wrap your dick around. Then you'll have to switch to a traditional mouse, so the cycle continues...

Heh

What is your trackball gayming experience?

On airplanes and ships where the mouse would Shift around with the vessel's movement

My God how much of a pussy are you?

Superior to every mouse.

>For example, when opening those plastic packages for shredded cheese

May you elaborate more? I feel the potential, but I don't know how long would it take to adapt. I feel the superiority at close range but my cursor movement has too much random noise for precise long distance tracking. I use trackman Marble.

++ maneuverability
-- precision

Really difficult to pull those clutch headshots even without the slight jitter in the tracking

Surprisingly usable despite a lack of practice, but I'm not ready to give up my mouse (especially for serious play where I'd like to actually win, as opposed to just goofing around). Maybe I could get better with more practice, but I can't be bothered to re-learn playing.

Out of curiosity how long have you been using trackball for gaming?

>Trackman Marble
Found your problem. Low polling rate, and low DPI forces you to crank up your sensitivity.

Polling rate, DPI and it's impact:
blog.codinghorror.com/mouse-dpi-and-usb-polling-rate/

With your sensitivity cranked up high you won't pull long distance accuracy off with out a "sniper button".

You also have to lift your fingers off the ball to click with pixel perfect precision.

Switch to an Elecom.

I keep sensitivity low I set acceleration high.

I get your point about buttons. It makes me waste miliseconds and makes hard to fire at fast moving enemies ( almost anyone with level higher than n00b )

would this one be good?

amazon.com/ELECOM-M-DT2URBK-Trackball-finger-function/dp/B0171QQ7IY

I have one Marble Mouse on either side of my keyboards. Been doing that since they were white and PS/2.

Wrists are happy.

you got those famous FX version?

Great with MAME games

I have this and it's good, but it still feels jittery. Probably pretty low sensitivity as well.

Also it's very small for a trackball, so unless you specifically want something portable (like me), consider the Elecom Huge instead.

Tried increasing polling rate?

I tried to use this but the lack of a scroll wheel bugged me

How would I do this

~2 years

If you work at linux based OS there are descriptions online. Mainly Arch wiki. It's little bit too long to write it here. Just google it.

Dunno about other OSes.

I don't mind lack of wheel. It's just about the same amount of finger movement as lifting it from button to the wheel and the rest is just rotating ball/wheel up and down. IMHO scrollwheels are almost a meme in case of trackballs.

>I can't even watch normies autism their way through simple tasks anymore. I've literally walked out of rooms to stop myself from screaming at them for taking 5 minutes to do what takes me about 20 seconds.

>calling others autistic while being a turbo autist with a weird as fuck computer use system

are trackballs any useful in 3d applications like
say maya and zbrush?
I was gonna buy a 3dconnexion, the cheapest one but it doesn't support zbrush and it was a deal breaker for me....

Some models like the Slimblade can track you twisting the ball, I guess that could be useful with the right setup

Not any more useful than a mouse in those programs.

I'v been using mine for 7-8 years (worn one down and got another one). My thumb is completely fine.

It's a bummer but scroll wheel emulators exist which turn the ball into a scroll wheel when holding a button.

How does the Huge compare to the other Elecom balls? I've gone through three of them and have been unhappy with the build quality.

Using a Logitech MX Ergo right now and love it.