Graphics card

What graphics card is this? I found it in a PC in a recycling centre.

looks like geforce fx 5200 ultra

looks like an AGP GeforceFX. There should be a sticker on it with the exact model number.
Also, give it back Jamal.

Nvidia FX 5700

OP here. Just noticed the sticker. It's an FX 5700 Ultra

It says it is a GeForce FX card. It is one of the ancient Geforce 5xxx FX cards released in the early 2000's. Look online and match up the card.

A shit one. Even for AGP.

Why did you buy a old graphics card with 128MB VRAM?

NVIDIA's GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
use to own one... nearly 20 years ago.

>why do people like old hardware and software as a hobby ree

>nearly 20 years ago.
It only came out 15 years ago.

but that's a FX series card. It was utter shit, even at the time, FX 5800 Ultra was a shitshow of collosal proportions and killed the line.
Why buy a card like this instead of something decent from the era?

Sweet find. I'd love to use it in my old powerMac.

Hardware like that used to be everywhere and not it's almost all gone. Most of the hardware I can find in used hardware places nowadays is c2d and up.

>era
explain

might as well get one of the last radeon or geforce AGP cards

go all out, don't stop with the 5700

>nearly
sorry, I didn't save the receipt and give you the exact time and date of purchase. I'll try harder next time user.

Why? You can reflash most any good AGP card for PowerMac use.

era, as in time period, did you drop out of primary school or something

>Even for AGP.
fuck off kid

>ahaha I'm so funny
nice shitpost, you know exactly I was talking about GPUs related to the era of the 5700

You realize AGP cards that perform over five times better exist?
So yeah, shit for AGP.

You are an idiot, you compare the card with its generation, and you don't buy an AGP card today for its performance, the FX5700 is a decent card for its time, equivalent of a 1050 today.

FX series were never good
obnoxiously loud, underperforming, not worth getting over ati's offerings (or even their own previous cards, which is hilarious)

Yes the Radeon 9xxx was better (in mid-high end, in low end it was trash).
That doesn't mean they were not decent cards, I had plenty of fun with an FX5500, so this one was even better, had no issues with games from that time with moderated settings.
The problem was mostly with the 5800 and that's why they released the 5900 and it was pretty good, I still chose the 9800 Pro, because I got a good deal.

>you compare the card with its generation
But I did not, I compared it to AGP cards in general, it was pretty obvious from my post.
Why should I compare it to generation? This isn't a retro circlejerk thread in the first place.

>and you don't buy an AGP card today for its performance
Why not? If you have a AGP machine for old games, either x86 or PowerMac, you want the best for the specific hardware that's still compatible with games.
I like 16x AA and AF at 1600x1200 with a newer AGP card more than "muh period correct" specially for hardware this new.

In 2003, it was a decent enough card. Card, not the whole series though.

>Why should I compare it to generation?
It is just stupid to say it is a "shit card for AGP", that is very relative, I could say the same from a Voodoo 3 and it would not really be correct, imagine you have some old Pentium III at 1Ghz with 512MB RAM with a shitty onboard video, and you want to put a video card in it and Windows 98 to play some old ass games. Why the fuck get an overpriced Radeon 4670 or GeForce 6800 when maybe you can get an FX5700 for a 1/8 of its price just as you passed by some retail store, and is far more than enough for that setup? You just fucking pick it up.
You don't know in what context he got that card. It wasn't bad even for its time.

Hey, it can run Starcraft pretty fucking well, even 8 player FFA.

Got CRYSIS to run on an AGP card, AMA.

>imagine you have some old Pentium III at 1Ghz with 512MB RAM with a shitty onboard video, and you want to put a video card in it and Windows 98 to play some old ass games.
Yes, I'd get a good card, I already have plenty laying in boxes, why pick up the 5700 if I can pick up any of the other better ones?

>overpriced
I bought a 7800 GS two months ago for 5€
Stop buying from ebay

>You don't know in what context he got that card. It wasn't bad even for its time.
Hey, everybody can buy and do what they want, just don't hope you won't get criticised when you post about it

What an achievement, wait no, we all have done that shit

Yeah, but were you able to get it to run at a smooth 28 fps?

you're like a baby
v-synced butter smooth 60 in wireframe mode

>I already have plenty laying in boxes
Some don't, besides there is a decent chance a card too modern will not work on an older motherboard.

>I bought a 7800 GS two months ago for 5€
I only accept your argument if you live in the US. Where I am everything is extremely expensive locally, people are insane, it is actually cheaper to get something on an auction from ebay.

>Hey, everybody can buy and do what they want
Bitch all you want, there is no point in putting a 7800GS on a Pentium III, so even if I get offered this and the 5700 for 5 bucks (I'll probably get both), but I will most definitely install the 5700 on the P3 because it is what makes most sense.

I use to play halo CE on it.

That was my first Crysis Demo run, after that I got new PC just to run Crysis at decent fucking rate.