Why don't you learn a real language

>Why don't you learn a real language
>Why don't you learn a useful language

If you have been told these things before, get in here and tell me what language(s) you learned/are learning and why, plus anything else about it you want to share.

Pic related for me.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithkuil
discord.gg/VcR5bys
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Learn a real language, nerd

Turkish.

Koine, but IMO it is useful.

Why is it written google + on the cap ?

I already did

A few years ago Google+ was pushed to be one of the main places for social networking among Esperanto speakers (didn't really work imo), so was Orkut back before it got delet (Orkut was pretty popular, especially among Brazilian Esperantists who are a huge demographic). You can usually still find people on Googe+ but it's not really that popular now.

I dig the idea behind it, but no matter what reason someone gives me for learning Esperanto, the only thing I can think about is that the time I would take to learn it can be better spent learning an actual language.

>but IMO it is useful

Really I think any language can be useful. If you put in the effort to learn it, you're going to find a way to use it, whether for work or simply for personal entertainment/enrichment or for friendship. "learn a useful language" = this is what monoglots really believe

>the time I would take to learn it can be better spent learning an actual language.

Have you used this time to learn an actual language, then?

Not trying to be a jerk, maybe you have. But it honestly takes so little time to learn compared to "actual" languages that it's hard for me to see as an actual drain on one's time.

Italiano

Not him but I have. The problem I see is that the reason actual language are so hard is because they are full. There are people who have been speaking them all their lives, and they have ways to say pretty much everything, and that sets a high standard for them. They also have histories and old literature and such.

So in comparison while you may be able to learn "designed" language quickly, that is only because the vocabulary is comparatively small and in the most fluent people speak like elementary schoolers.

If you try to learn 20-30 thousand words in one of those languages it would be difficult too.

>unironically learning esperanto
you can't be serious, fucking sperglord

i prefer learning real languages like english and spanish. next one will be a minor yet utterly interesting language like basque

日本語
But whatever. English is pretty "useful" but I am learning it for fun. And like 2 months ago I have started to study japanese. It is not as "useful" since only one country speaks it and whatnot but the only factor that should matter is my enjoyment

>The problem I see is that the reason actual language are so hard is because they are full.

I agree with this, and with your points about it. I have another one to add: In most languages, there are gramatically correct ways to say things that nevertheless sound strange, because they're not commonly used. Some other form is the commonly used form, and other ways of saying something, though technically correct, sound "unnatural".

In Esperanto, this is almost nonexistent. You can begin speaking as soon as you have a grasp of the grammar and you will run a very low chance of sounding unnatural. In a well-established language, you will usually be doubting your choice of expression and feeling that you can't sound elegant. Not trying to say Esperanto is "better" for this reason, just that it's a difference I have felt while studying and speaking other languages.

>the vocabulary is comparatively small

Part of this is due to Eo being an agglutnative language, though. From my observation, I think as time goes on people have actually decreased the active vocabulary used in Eo, favoring agglutinated words over individual root words. When you look at an old book it's full of diverse root words; look at a modern conversation and you'll see people stretching a small amount of roots+affixes to create words instead of knowing diverse root words. I don't think that as time goes on and Esperanto grows in terms of speakers/reading material available etc. that morphemes will be mostly added, I think they will be mostly dropped.

Interesting. I would worry, though, that as the number of speakers increases it "degenerates" to become more like a normal language.

Icelandic
>Why go through the effort just to talk to igloo people?
>But user, you're not ACTUALLY gonna leave America, right? Why would you want to?

Ithkuil because it is the superior language.

>Êpal esperanto¯ eqašqurqurňa'f ko'

>i prefer learning real languages like english and spanish.

I already speak English and Spanish, and am learning another natural language now.

I learned Esperanto ten years ago and stll don't regret it t b h

>but the only factor that should matter is my enjoyment

I agree. The only language you will really learn is a language you feel motivated to study every day.

>So in comparison while you may be able to learn "designed" language quickly
>He thinks he can learn Ithkuil masterrace quickly

I was learning Korean but I want to improve my French and German first. They're already at a level where I can learn through immersion (movies, books, music, internet) so I can be lazy and still learn.

this actually looks interesting

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithkuil
>dat phonology
what the actual fuck

I'm learning french now.

Somethings are related to Portuguese, others are related to English. It's fucking me up, I'm having a hard time.

I know some arabic because of muh Lebanese heritage, but every time I try to speak to someone from the Lebanese community here they fucking laugh at my face.

Motherfuckers, arabs are scum, and I'm talking about the Levantines. Imagine the gulf/saudi ones.

Just kill me already.

3 years of Spanish, 3 of German and 1 year of Arabic, 1 year of Cornish accent training

But stopped because Sup Forums bullied me to stop

>I would worry, though, that as the number of speakers increases it "degenerates" to become more like a normal language.

imo this has happened already or is at least well into the process of happening.

Esperanto has a small amount of speakers compared to most natural languages, obviously, and because it's not official anywhere you pretty much have to convince new people to learn it, so there are alot of adults with child-like language skills in the community. So that creates a definite feeling of artificiality in some ways.

However, if you actually get involved in the community beyond the "beginner learning" phase, and start speaking with people who are fluent and use it all the time, as well as with native speakers, I would say there's very little difference with speaking a natural language as far as how it feels and the ability to express oneself. There's definite trends in the ways people speak (remember, I said you run a *low* chance of sounding unnatural--you can already sound unnatural in Esperanto while being gramatically correct, if you are talking to people who have been "immersed" in it for a long time, vs. talking amongst beginners who probably never feel this feeling), there are also unnoficial slang and vocab words spreading through the language, even words that are such a common error to "accidentally" invent even though they are technicially incorrect, that I have seen them in one of the top news sites written in Esperanto.

I would say that the "concept" of Esperanto functions among people who learn it for that reason (lingustic equality, world peace, whatever it is) and keep that reason in mind when they talk. But for many of us it functions more like a natural language because we aren't remaining conscious of the original idea behind it, we are just using like we would any other language.

Keep in mind this is all just one person's observation...I'm sure some other Esperanto speakers have noticed this though.

Get. Good.

I think what really matters is having a purpose with learning the language.

그 언어들을 열심히 공부해요!

Don't give up Anons, you can do it. It takes alot of work and it's really easy to get burnt out. Be forgiving of yourself and remind yourself of the reasons why you want to learn these languages.

If you truly are interested in the ways of the Ithkuil, I suggest going to /r/Ithkuil and also discord on

discord.gg/VcR5bys

True. Nothing will spur you on more than necessity and/or passion.

When you're learning something only for fun, it takes alot more work and willpower.

When you're learning something you don't need, for no reason, AND it's not fun...You're pretty much fucked.

The Ithkuil user has returned!

thanks, will look into that. phonology is really messed up, though. my own conlang isn't that easy regarding the phonological system, but not as batshit insane like ithkuil.

pic related

i start russian but i'm lazy and stupid so it will take times before i get decent.

Is there a chance Esperanto will be of any importance in the future?

I studied Danish for years and when I went to buy a dictionary the girl at the shop asked me if I was sure it's a real language

Unless it gets adopted by the UN or EU or something, or unless more countries start offering it in schools, or unless Esperantujo develops an economy, I doubt it.

Tips:
1. Play strategy games or text-based games you're very familiar with in other languages. Only if you know the existing words
2. It's messy but put labels on things in your home with some tape. From there you can write little phrases on notes, like above the doorbell a taped note saying "Ring the doorbell" in the language you want. Change it up sometimes, so for a few months have it as "I ring the doorbell", then change it to future tense, then try plural, then try subjunctive etc.

For people who are stupid, lazy and old like me this is a good way to passively learn all day

Hahahah

it's a soulless made up language but with the global race mixing and american culture everywhere it can become a thing.

I have a nice working knowledge of Spanish. I don't use it too often, but it might save me from getting stabbed one day

>lazy passive learning tips

Instead of just using a regular alarm I have my phone wake me up in the morning by playing a radio station in my target language. If I stay in bed I have to sit there listening to the language, and if I get up I usually keep it on while getting ready in the morning.

I get by in Spanish simply because I live in a Texas border city.

I'm learning Norwegian for my own enjoyment.

>it's a soulless made up language but with the global race mixing and american culture everywhere it can become a thing.

It's virtually unknown here, the only major Esperanto groups I've ever seen online are in Europe or Asia for green-party "World Citizen" people

"American culture" promotes English hegemony, If you're going to make a pop-nationalist conspiracy regarding the US, you might as well make one that the US is trying to force the world to speak English.

I speak English and French because this is fucking Canada. Learn something useful nerd

Enjoy never leaving Canada, I guess?

>any language can be useful

Not really. I'm learning Danish knowing that it is just an unproductive hobby. There's no future opportunities that will open up for me if I learn Danish. I don't even plan to visit Denmark, and even if I did, everyone there will just speak English.

That being said, I still enjoy learning it, since I am obsessed with their meme phonology and whatnot, even if it is useless to learn.

I tried to learn Japanese as an early teenager, but all my family said it was useless since we will all speak chinese in less than a century.

>meme phonology
what?

Been as far south as the Dominican, as far west as Washington, and as far east as Ukraine.
English and French have always been fine.

rod grod med flode

I think you and I have a different take on what "useful" entails.

IMO if studying a language keeps your mind active and makes you feel happy, and bonus if it gives you some friends and social interactions, that is useful. Doesn't have to be money or job related. But yeah I did have in mind the idea that even if you learn a "useless" language you might enjoy using it for travel, which you said you aren't going to.

That's cool user

I'm still going to learn different languages than you and be happy about it and you can't stop me

I am planning on moving to another country so I am learning their language. Everyone I know agrees that it's pretty useful

i don't quite get what you are trying to say. in what way is danish phonology a meme one or special in any way? it's not even particularly interesting from an american/english point of view since both languages derive from germanic and are structurally identical.

>spend 10 months becoming fluent in Esperanto
>can now speak to a handful more sperglords
Or
>spend 12 months becoming fluent in Spanish
>can speak to hundreds of millions of new people

I like Esperanto. But its not worth learning.

Im learning Korean. My mother kept asking me why i didnt learn chinese or japanese instead. I tried learning japanese in the past but even being really interested in its culture i wasnt excited or enjoying learning it. And even though i loved being in China i know for a fact ill never be motivated knowing that i have to memorise a huge amount of characters.
So i picked up korean completely out of curiosity and nearly 3 months later i still have fun learning and studying it everyday.

>Learn both Esperanto and Spanish because it's not that hard to do either one
>Continue learning more languages because why stop at one?

Phonology is the way the language sounds.

Danish had been particularly abused by other Scandis by being called that it sounded like the language was being spoken with a potato in the mouth all the time.

예쁜 글씨

I also picked up Korean somewhat randomly, with no previous interest in Korea, just was curious about the language. Ended up making the best friend of my life because of it. 안녕 if you're lurking this thread my dude.

Yes any hobby can make you happy. You might as well say that playing video games is "useful" since it will make you happy, makes you friends, etc.

It might be useful to your well-being, but learning Danish is still unproductive regardless, I don't think you can argue that it is productive. However I am content with this circumstance and I'll still have fun learning it.

I guess I can agree with that. To me remaining happy is pretty important, falling into a pit of inactivity and depression is pretty unproductive so doing things that prevent that is a priority to me.

You should learn latin. It will help a lot if you plan on learning more romance languages like Portugese or French

I have thought about it, and I might try it one day, but I find that the combo of Spanish + English + Esperanto makes me able to make my way through things written in other Romance langs fairly easily. Would be kind of fun to study Romanian, it's my impression that by doing so I would get a dose of some Latin words not usually used in French, Spanish, Portuguese, and friends.

Overall though I'm not super interested in Indo-European languages right now so it's probably someting I wouldn't pursue until a few years from now.

Have you learned Latin?

latin is totally interesting, especially when it comes to inflection and verbal system. you should've at least got an overview of that language, afterwards you'll get a grip how romance languages work.

as for non-IE langs, i highly recommend basque and finnish. both are popular yet obscure enough to trigger your interest. if that's not enough, you should keep your head in hittite language, it's utterly fascinating, even though it's dead for centuries. if you wish, i can provide an etymological lexicon.

Late I know but thanks for the post just letting you know i read it

>latin is totally interesting
Latin is the opposite of fun. It's one of the most exception-ridden languages in history, basically there's no real structure or logic to anything in latin, it makes irregularities of english look like a baby. I know few people IRL who studied latin far enough, and they all agree that the only way to learn latin is brutal rote memorization and hundreds of hours of practicing.

>living in north america
>learning anything other than spanish

你操普通话吗?

But I already know Spanish, user