STUPID QUESTIONS THREAD

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/wfr/c8e431a61d300b4f3d15
git-scm.com/docs/git-apply
apogeedigital.com/pdf/ApogeeMiC96kWIN-MACUsersGuide.pdf
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

regarding rasberry pi or other similar single board arm computers,
how powerful are they and can I run linux and my daily computing tasks one them?

Also how does raspberry pi fare in encryption/decryption? veracypt? dmcrypt? given recent and past intel fuckups I am reluctant to use intel (and amd) for important stuff

do I take a software methodology course (java and android development) taught by a really worthwhile professor or a networking course (mostly python for whatever reason) taught by an atrocious professor? I actually want to go into the networking field and have little desire to become a code monkey, especially with Java, but I fuckin hate incompetent professors who waste my time

find a good professor and go into networking

if that wad an option this semester i wouldn't be asking

If you're not a brainlet you can try learning networking yourself. If the professor is really that horrible you won't lose much.

they're not that good. it's going to be as slow as an atom netbook, if not slower.

and actually much slower for anything that hits the hard drive a lot, since the pi uses a microsd by default or otherwise usb2.0, and the LAN is over USB.

ARM is just still shit tier and starting to evolve past fridges and cellphones. They don't even have an equivalent to BIOS/uEFI (each machine boots up differently -- raspi's GPU boots up the system, for example).

Is it possible to provide continuous wifi connection over a wide area using several routers?

Basically I have a house with wifi, and a pretty long garden, and at the far end of the garden there's a second, smaller house with a second, smaller wifi. Right now both APs have the same details (SSID, password) so if someone comes into our house and connects to wifi, then go to the second house, they'll lose wifi in the middle of the garden and then automatically reconnect once they arrive.
Now, if I were to install something in the middle of the garden to provide continuous access, could it be configured in such a way that a connected device would always use the best AP, and would maintain a continuous connection while moving around between the ranges of the different APs? Or will there always be interference and disconnects/reconnects?

should i do CS if i want to be a network admin?

The CS course at my Uni offers network security, cryptography, network and systems administration as minors.

I feel like i'd have a hard time learning computation and programming.

Should I just do Information Systems? It's basically the same syllabus just more business oriented

You can do this, but I think it requires some proprietary bullshit. I know Ubiquiti has some hardware for this, as does Cisco.

I am on Java 101 course. I am trying the method showMessageDialog but compiler returns error "Cannot find symbol JOptionPane.showMessageDialog.

My code:
ackage pr1;
import javax.swing.*;

public class ex1 {
public static void main(String args[]) {
JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null,"Press OK");
System.exit(0);
}
}

yeah the client will also have to reconnect to the stronger signal.

and of course first line is
package pr1;

Go work in the help desk while studying for a Microsoft, Cisco or CompTIA cert at the same time. You don't need college for basic IT like net admin.

how do I force (doesn't matter how dirty it is - replacing strings, make the OS redirect the link, ...) a browser to load another version of css file (...v=2 but I want ...v=1)

Is there a simulcast software that is GPL? I want to be able to watch mkv files and listen to music with my bros.

Linux newbie here. 2014 Macbook Pro. Obviously I shouldn't be gayming on it, even if I've gotten by easily enough on Win 10, but performance on Mint has been really bad. Starbound and Terraria (2D programs) run at about 1/3-1/5 the speed of what I would expect on my old install. No Wine trickery involved either, they run natively. Is there some driver bullshit I can do to make it work again or should I just dual boot Microsoft®™© and accept my fate?

Accept

If you get passable signal on one AP then devices will usually stay attached to that one until you go out of range, otherwise you're describing a pretty standard setup. I would make sure the two routers that don't overlap are both on channel 1 and stick the other one on channel 11. Also make sure routers 2 and 3 are passive clients without NAT/firewall enabled, and using different static IPs on the same subnet.

Say again but this time in english.

what makes outdoor rated ethernet cables different from indoor ones?

How to I remove the bad stuff from win10?
Spying/tracking/garbageware etc

o&o shutup10

Install LTSB.
Open group Policy.

I got a used Elitebook 2570p with Windows 7 on it. Is there anything in particular I need to know before (((upgrading))) it to windows 10? Will any key work or do I need a special one from HP or some shit?Should I clean install?

No, only LTSB and Rufus.
But, stay in windows 7.

looking for good free website builders

how am I supposed to patch my gtk with this? gist.github.com/wfr/c8e431a61d300b4f3d15

I'm installing win10 and sadly the laptop can't get any further than 4mbps write and assumingly 10mbps read. (tried 3.0 usb on SS port, no luck)
what do?
installer takes forever to load and if it does I only get blue installer screen (without any window) and a useless mouse pointer
>4gb ram

I have a windows 10 pro key. I'm using the media creation tool to setup my flash drive for it. The only option it gives me is "Windows 10" and doesn't specify home or pro. Will I be okay?

I just installed Firefox to /opt/firefox

how do I make a shortcut for it on Dash to Dock?

So..
I have a computer that won't turn off unless i disconnect the power plug. It just restarts every time.
Any suggestions?

auto wake. disconnect any usb or lan

is Debian a good option for a chromebook?

I need a good media player that skips playback to the previous file being played at the touch of a button like VLC, any recs?

how much quicker are nvme ssds than sata III

Why dont you check the fucking specs

What now?

Type "nigger nigger"

imperceptible difference games, boot and starting programs.

in qbit im downloading a remux of a tv show its pretty big like 130 gb
I want to watch 1 ep and delete it after im done so i waste no space
however if I uncheck the ep on qbit it disappears from the folder, if i delete it in the folder and then uncheck it gives me some annoying I/O error popups
what do

>run the tool
>apply all the recommended settings and restart
>suddenly a phone call
>"N-new phone, who this?"
>obviously a guy pinching his nose speaking, with a thick indian accent
>"user, Mr user, is your computing device turned off? We can not hear your grunts to exhentai galleries anymore. Please turn ... hold on.."
>sounds of discomfort and splattering, and a hand washing around in a bucket of water
>"Oh by Ganesha! Uh, please turn it back on, I get paid to spy on you! Please! I have kids to feed!"
>take a long pause and answer with a no
>"FAKK YOU! SHOW BOB AND VAG- click"
it did something alright

Didn't help
And it's turned off in the BIOS anyway

I have an i7-5500u. Which architecture should I choose for a Debian install?

(Amd64 or i386?)

If you want to use more than 4GB of memory, Amd64, otherwise it doesn't really matter.

After more than a decade with a Nokia 6010 as my phone, which I basically ignored and left plugged into my wall except when I absolutely needed it, I finally bought a smartphone. A Pixel 2. And I fucking hate it. Not just the software, which is fussy and intrusive, but the entirety of it. Everything from the form factor to the integration is just unbearably awful.

But I also hated my bar phone, which is why I left it plugged into the wall. And I hate sitting at a desktop because I can't stand being so stationary. I find laptops unergonomic to the point of unusability, and while I like the tablet form factor, the software is worse than the shit on smartphones.

Is all of computing really just a bunch of shitty memes or am I missing something important?

As good as any.

I have a $220 gift card to walmart

I'm looking at a 32 inch Vizio
that costs 218 after taxes

or they have a 43 inch Vizio available that I'd have to shell out an extra 48 bucks

Is it worth it? I'm only going to be playing from a distance of 4-5 feet from the TV.

Add /opt/firefox/bin to your path and add firefox to the dock like you would any other program.

You select on install, I think.

both are 1080p, i have the standard ps4 and xbox one so 4k doesnt matter to me

I'm worried I pick up the 32 and I end up wanting a bigger screen for watching movies

How do i clean the inside of this? Ive had the 980 for a while and just go the pc out of storage..

Diagonal size * 1.5 for optimum viewing distance at 1080p, so you want 32"-40" for 4-5 feet. You'll be able to see the pixels on the 43", though just barely.

What's the difference between a record, a relation and a table in databases?

Compressed air.

is 720p even worth considering?

How to turn off cortana for good?
I can't seem to find /Windows Search.
Like it's missing or something if that makes sense.

Tables and relations are the same thing. A record is a particular set of fields (e.g. age, salary, dick size, etc.) grouped together to make an entry (e.g. one user or one product) in a table.

Thought that but it looks like its sealed, cant get the plastic tip in. Like id have to find a torque screw to open the panel but im sure that'll break it

Install Linux.

2.25 x diagonal is the optimum viewing distance (i.e. just far enough away that someone with normal vision can't see individual pixels) for 720p. So you want like a 21-27" 720p TV for your viewing distance of 4-5 feet.

How'd all the crud get in there, then?

Weather and UV protection.

git-scm.com/docs/git-apply

Are Lacie Rugged HDDs a gimmick or are they more reliable or resistant to mishandling?

how do I find the largest value of a binary tree containing ints in haskell?

My binary tree is setup like so:

data Tree = Node Int Tree Tree
| Leaf Int
deriving (Eq,Show)

and Im trying to make a function that returns the largest int value within a tree. I have my function setup sofar like so:

findMax :: Tree -> Int -- takes in tree, returns int
findMax (Leaf i) = i -- on empty case;
--findMax >??/

the last line is where im not sure, is there a simple one line way to do this with recursion? I imagine it would be something like traversing the tree and comparing each int to find the largest

*tips fedora*

Both. If you're a klutz and need substantial portable storage, they do what they're supposed to. If not, any external HDD will probably be fine.

It's a googleable question.

>user asks a question
>gets a hipster response
>i.it's a googleable question, i swear!
don't let me stop you from sipping your pumpkin lattes, you hipster

Not my fault you can't google "turn off cortana."

Try adding "site:superuser.com" to make it even easier.

What's with antagonistic reddit posters everywhere

not even the same user, you ding dong; so try again

>muh red herring

Well my current external HDD is showing signs of failure probably because I dropped it once pretty hard and carry it in a backpack. Costs only 10€ more than the cheapest external HDD, so I suppose it's not too overpriced.

Reddit is an SJW shit hole. You can't even tell spergs to kill themselves there anymore without some powermad fuckwad getting uppity at you.

Is it smart to ask for tech advice on Sup Forums?

Okay we'll enjoy your botnet.

what are some good tor links for textbooks?

No.

What's the easiest/most lightweight way of making and testing web stuff and database stuff specifically?

>r.red herring!
jesus, didn't think it was possible that people can't be this stupid, but they do
>you're the same user
>gets proven wrong
>r.red herring
just stop you dipshit, you've lost the argument, and you get no more (you)s

Definitely not.

>unironically believes this

Fuck off you butt blasted nigger lover. Go be somewhere else, like a ditch.

If it's not programming related then no.
/sqt/ is full of retard soyboys who don't know much more than what a power button does.
/dpt/ are pretty mature and knowledgeable. It's a shame /sqt/ also isn't like that- it might actually be a helpful thread, god forbid.

@64400099
lost the argument, I know how pissed you are since you've got proved wrong and lost the argument; gg game bud

As long as you're not actually posting spam or CP here, you're pretty safe from permabans.

How can I switch to artful repos from zesty manually?

Somebody please help me.

I dug an old MiC 96k out of my stuff today and plugged it in to see if it would work. All of my apps recognize the microphone but it just isn't working. I went a head and tried to use it on my mac (I was using windows 10 before) and it worked fine (a green light came on, which means it's working: on my windows computer the mic just has a blue light which means it has power but isn't working.) Does anyone know how to fix it? I'm really getting desperate at this point.

Not me. Did you reply to yourself and pretend it was me?

>@
Lurk more before posting

>@

You don't want to do that. Broken dependencies are terrible to deal with.

With unlimited budget, tell me why, in this current hardware market, why I shouldn't just get a Titan Xp and slap an AIO on it.

>newfags get booty blasted
>l.lurk more before posting
really makes you think haha

apogeedigital.com/pdf/ApogeeMiC96kWIN-MACUsersGuide.pdf

>get told to install linux
>has a temper tantrum
Use a trip so I can filter you.

Please respond.

Is a computer with the specs in the pic worth 650USD?