Power On Hours

I'm sure someone here could beat this.

Other urls found in this thread:

crystalmark.info/information/index-e.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Unless you run a server, leaving your PC on is retarded.

your retarded

CHING CHANG CHING CHONG ANIME
CHING CHONG CHANG RICE
CHING KAWAII CHONG CHAI HIROSHI DESU

lol get a load of this nigger

Why would someone make his HDD's serial public?

old hgst drives last forever.

>the goon cries out as he pours out the salt

This. I just retired a couple 1TB HGST drives that had 50-60k power on hours. Still have some 500GBs that work fine too.

Not me, only 1318 days.

i have some harddisks from 90s that still works

Newton's 1st Law: A body at rest wants to stay at rest. Now fuck off!"

do you have some kind of mental fucking issue that any software you use HAS to have some anime girl on it?

Japs dont have -ng

settle down, the developer is Japanese
crystalmark.info/information/index-e.html

Yup

The dev put her in it, why would I be triggered by that?

>inb4 theres a version without her
Yes and its less pretty.

Do you have some kind of mental issue that requires you to be a faggot all the time?

The problem there that Newton and his small mind seemed to miss is that nothing is static, nothing is unmoving. Every atom in our universe is constantly in motion.

The Earth is in constant motion, you're in constant motion, the screen you're reading this text on is in motion, the light from the pixels is in motion, the room you're in, the house, the city, the fucking country you're in is in motion, without fail, forever.

Newton needs a rewrite.

>ん is realized as [ŋ] when preceding a [k] or [g]
That being said, Jap has no final ng

oh, this drive is newer than the 500gb but it just got to 42k

i have a Quantum Fireball from 95 somewhere

nice, what drive is that?

you can get close considering one of the realisations is /ɰ̃/ although i dont know if that needs a specific enviroment

and/or something about end of utterance /ɴ/ but that might just be archiphonemic

This one has actually around 33K hours on it, I know the count says otherwise but once it reset for no reason.

Here OP, my WD green beats you and my samsung 830 is almost close to yours.

Also half as many power cycles. Nice.

This one is its actually younger brother. Seagates are not as bad as Sup Forums says, other than that weird counter reset bug both of these have worked fine for years.

>t. unwary of the concept of relativity

WD black.

which version should I get?

neat
yea my job (2yr) has me travelling most weeks now, and I prefer my pc to be off when I'm out of town.

Had a kingston 60gb once, lasted 3 months as a system drive...

>drive I've barely ever used starts ticking
pls no

half that was meant for you

Quantum Fireball EX 1998
Fujitsu Desktop MPE3136AT 1999

Somewhere i should have a really old 40 MB SCSI Harddisk

>Shizuku
>Kurei Kei
Are these OCs or are they based off something else? Does the dev have a Pixiv profile?

I just never turn my PC off, usually I do for the same reason as you but I don't leave town that much.

My oldest.

I fear that day

It used to be on all the time, other than when I was moving places or fixing a hardware fault

>423
wow

What are you going to do with it?

>tfw your 40 GB Maxtor finally gives in after 117,293 power on hours
RIP in piece my old friend

i went through college on this laptop, though i did change the hdd about 1/2 way through for more space for crap. i usually just leave it on or use hibernate, maybe doing a full reboot once a month or whenever windows decides to shit the bed.

Post bad SMART values and I will read them.
That goes for anyone else in this thread.

You lost around 20KBs of data at some point and it was overwritten.
If all you do is hibernate is repeatedly, it may have shit the bed for this exact reason, your swapfile was corrupted on reboot and attempted to load a hole into RAM.
Run an extended SMART check on your HDD to verify the integrity of the platter.
Also jesus christ that load count.
If you had linux you could disable disk spindown because holy shit you have 915,072.
Most WD greens fail after 300K.

hit me

Whoops, accidentally read the threshold as raw.
It's fine. No bad sectors but very high load cycles. Dangerously so.
No damage that the disk can self report but you can expect slowdown from the mechanical strain of all the cycles.
So I guess it's just windows being windows.

Is it actually a good idea to disable that thing that loads/unloads constantly? I have 250k and 330K load/unload cycles on my disks, not that guy you replied to btw.

almost got you all beat

You have an end to end error, frien
That indicates something in cache on disk went trainwreck.
Make sure the files you care about are safe, and note any odd behavior from your OS.
If it ticks +1 once more jump ship.

Also consider an advanced filesystem.

Seagates are either shit and actually miss their target as much as they self report or just use some arbitrary standard for raw values.
So that's normal to see raw junk like that on all of the bad stuff.

Loading/unloading is bad in most cases.
Server disks unload themselves as little as possible and last a decade or more just sitting in a well ventillated array.

The less change you can introduce into the storage medium the more stable it is.
Load/unlodaing while stationary is bad.
Being unloaded while undergoing movement however puts the disk at an advantage as the head can no longer hit the platter and cause damage.

I usually put a very long timer on my mobile HDDs so they will unload as little as possible.
If stationary I turn it off completetly.

i think it's time to put this drive to rest

You've got 126 bad secors that translates to the drive shredding approximately 504KBs of data.
Half a meg is damaged.
Sort through your files and check your critical stuff for damage.

The drive is still very usable with an advanced filesystem with checksums.

>Loading/unloading is bad in most cases.
>Server disks unload themselves as little as possible and last a decade or more just sitting in a well ventillated array.
>The less change you can introduce into the storage medium the more stable it is.
>Load/unlodaing while stationary is bad.
>Being unloaded while undergoing movement however puts the disk at an advantage as the head can no longer hit the platter and cause damage.
>I usually put a very long timer on my mobile HDDs so they will unload as little as possible.
>If stationary I turn it off completetly.

Got it, im on windows and found out that by tweaking some settings in CDI you can halt the constant load/unload cycles, but then is it a good thing to stop them completely? Or is there a script capable of reducing the frequency without stopping it completely?

If its a 3.5 desktop HDD:
You're better with it off compltetely.

Laptop: Set it to something like 15-30 minutes.

Consider an advanced filesystem NAS to safeguard your data.
WIth redundancy they can heal it on the fly if sectors become corrupt.

Also r8 me I guess.

My oldest drive

2803 days for my oldest drive
SSD is at 1487 and 96%

You've dropped the one on the right.
Be careful with it.
Give it an extended SMART test to check the surface for damage just in case.

Other than that, looks good.
Just seagate frothing in a sea of raw values.

You have 1 reallocated sector so it lost 4KB in the past.
Cut down on the loads and unloading if you want it to continue to last.
Looks nice.

If an SSD is reallocating you're actively having data shredded.
I am currently running two with over 30K bad sectors in my ZFS array.
Be careful with it! It WILL only continue to degrade and it will do so violently.

Consider running an advanced filesystem with redundant data & metadata if you ever want this SSD to be semi-usable.

The HDD though only has 1 bad sector. It has shredded data, 4KBs of it but you've already overwritten the file.
It was a CRC error so it was bitrot.
The drive can be assumed to be flipping bits now.
Watch it.
And keep backups. Do not overwrite your old backups without fully checking if your backups actually work and read.

Here's the tab for my ssd, doesn't show any reallocated sectors in CDI though
I'm Currently that 1TB drive is only used for video games anyhow, nothing of value on there, I have backups on both 4TB's as well. Lost a hard drive once before, never again. But, I would like to ask what software would you recommend for backups/checking backups as well?

Yeah im aware of that free fall value, that disk used to be the main disk on a laptop I had to share with another person. If it was ever dropped then it was back at least 5 years ago as the value hasn't changed since then, been using it since then to run VMs and other stuff with no space left at high loads. Im sure it either was a light drop or something that didn't actually hurt it like someone moving the laptop abruptly.

>for backups/checking backups as well?
dd is the simplest method, clonezilla is good too. im not aware of a program that checks the backups tho

Also can anyone tell if pic related is fine? It's a Samsung OEM msata SSD, too many vendor specific values. The utility Samsung provides for checking health did not work because it's an OEM drive probably.

Stupid simple:
dd. Do not copy at the block level on a hot filesystem.
Smart simple:
rsync. And get your shit off NTFS.
smart complex:
Sending incremental snapshots offsite.

The drive looks okay.
Too many vendor specifics.
Assuming Wear Level starts at 100, I'd probably put f2fs filesystem on there to prolong the life.

Perfect.
Always backup.
Hard drives run slow and fail slow.
SSDs run fast and fail instantly.

Make a backup and you're set.
Try Gsmartcontrol to parse those "vendor specific" values.
CDI probably won't ever get an update to show what they are.

got it used from ebay because it was only $70 and they used to cost almost 300 here.

Very nice.
Your loads/ unloading should be disabled by default but if for some reason it's not then use gnome-disks to turn it off and let it coast.

My preference is to enable write cache as my filesystems usually come with write barriers.

yeah, it's windows being windows.
longest i've gone without a real reboot is like 1/2 a year, i disabled updates (8.1) because I had to recover from a fucked up update install and didn't want to have to panic during projects. this laptop has definitely been abused and is starting to have occasional gfx hardware bluescreens. just waiting for a good ryzen apu to come out, desktop mainstream, to replace this since it's just stationary now (laptop is a k53ta, amd llano core apu that overclocks like mad and probably why it's been having problems)

>start hearing a whoop sound come from my server here and there
>can't tell if it's the GPU fan I've had problems with before, the PSU I tore out of some random PC I had in a closet, or a drive
>it made the noise consistently until I opened the case to investigate

can you do
>mine

do
>mine

>tfw when i've been using this as my main desktop drive since end of 2016, but barely use my desktop because of work.

Found a Quantum ProDrive LPS @ 250MB (SCSI) from 1993 :)

Who the fuck asked you to do this horoscope shit? About 75% of what you're saying is blatant bullshit or assumptions. Stop role playing asshole.

ive read how hardrives work
fliipping bits
yea you can recheck and get the bits it allocated as bad back. the drop thing on that one guys, had a 1, so no protection if it had one, so yea makes sense
i just want someone to look at minei guess it doesnt matter, its old. .never has a problem. i just store mostly back ups of all the stuff i use on it. wohoh. and i started downloading torrents since their just big files and i dont want to fill up my other drives up i use to put games on. and once the download has checked out, big files, go to another large drive until theyre burned off, cause i check, then make sure its worth a crap. no reason to use a disc to burn it to if its junk or some trash game i dont want to or wont ever play again

Unless you are a shut-in, using any device other than a phone is retarded.

If you run a modern OS, you're running something as a server. Unless you're using a phone or something, I'd imagine.

Thanks for the laugh.

>wintards have to install a gui program to do something as trivial as reading smartinfo
$ bc

>His reallocated sectors count is not approximately equal to his Power On Count

You'all are like little babies, watch this:

installing and using the gui is easier than typing all that weird shit. you need to spend hours reading documentation and typing those special symbols requires pressing multiple keys so its more work than double clicking a simple icon.

My PC is a server

Samsung HD502IJ: 72 439 hrs and couple others over 6 year mark

too bad samsung doesn't make drives anymore.

I have a 20GB HDD from 1995 that I still use, so yes.

Are 3tb drives usually this bad?

This doesn't output a cute anime girl tho

The motor of the seagate 2GB drive in my retro PC gets louder and louder.

At least the older ones are. This one is a 2012 made unit, and is actually a version of the 3TB drive back then with lower failure rates(much better than the Seagates which is almost guaranteed to fail).

>20GB HDD from 1995
Nope. Either it's 2GB from 1995 or 20Gb from ~2000

It's perfectly possible for old drives to have high hour numbers without having the system running 24/7. My PC runs about 11 to 12 hours/day. Go figure.

However...
> Start_Stop_Count 44
> Power_On_Hours 29792

A-am I going to be okay? It failed the seatools long generic.

samsung master race reporting in

In the almost 10 years I've owned this drive I've gone through 2 WD green 2TB drives(first one died under warranty, second one only lasted three years), and two shitty OCZ SSDs that I had.

I love this hard drive and I'm gonna feel sad when it finally bites the bullet.

Now you got me, I don't know if it's 12 or 20GB, but I do remember running Windows 98 on it. And I actually meant 1998, not 1995. Said HDD is now on a C2D build I use as NAS.

wait, I just realized that my power on time cant be right at all. I feel jew'd now. This was literally the first hard drive I ever bought with my own money back like in 2011, and I never turn my computer off. So how does my main SSD from 2015 have half as many hours if I've owned it for three less years.

now im salt, my internet dick could be bigger than everyone elses.

You can do the same with powershell, but no one is autistic enough.

smartctl is available for Windows too, but no one cares.

I have an IBM PC 5150 with an add-in HDD that still works. Could probably sell it for a fortune. Lol.

I still believe I got around 50-60k hours in few Barracuda ES drives I pulled out of my old server which is no more in use about a month ago, SMART still good
The longest living HDD I had was a Barracuda 7200.10 pulled from a server once again, under 100 power on count and almost 100k hours, I believe it was around 98k if I remember correctly, but SMART stats were bad, although data was still readable I destroyed the drive and threw it away
My current drives in my desktops are about at 12-15k hours and current servers vary between 10-20k and few 15k Seagate SAS disks with over 40k hours
I don't know how but drives really rarely fail on me, I still got a bunch of IDE HDDs too with bunch of hours and still work perfectly, guess it's good luck to rarely experience a hdd failure, i never have had to rebuild a RAID array in my life either

>linuxtard thinks he's a fucking hacker for not using a GUI

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

C:\Users\Admin>smartctl -A /dev/sda | awk '/\ 9\ / {print $10}'

how do i score, lads?

Don't HDDs spin down and turn off when not being used?

He implies his disk is 2nd hand/refurb