Serious series: serious question

Serious series: serious question

Does anyone here use Linux as a daily driver? If so, what purpose? Other than playing around in Linux as a hobby I'm don't see how it is better than Windows 7 (fuck Windows 10 - botnet bullshit)

Other urls found in this thread:

dustycloud.org/misc/talks/guix/chicagolug_2015/guix_talk.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes, because the performance is superior.

Superior in what way? Playing your Facebook games? Hahahahahaha

Windows is not a real OS. It sucks at everything.

I mainly use it because, simply it has everything I need, really.
I simply feel attracted to the control you have over your own system, which you can also accomplish with Windows but through unofficial ways and through many hoops.
I also like how it's quite low on resource consumption when configured properly, which is quite alot more difficult with Windows at times since it works out of the box.
Since I am still using the same box from 2009 with 4GiB of ram with a internet connection that's around 5MB/s or less, it's a more interesting option for me to look into OSes which are low on such consumption.
If you feel fine using Windows, do whatever you please. It really isn't worth the commotion if you already keep the a eye out for to what extend your system phones home if that's to any of your concerns.

I guess linux is a lot less resource-intensive and without Microsoft pre-installed rubbish. But I'd imagine there plenty of programs that require WINE no?

Leave.

So in the end it still boils down to hobby? And I guess... Network security?

I'm not a kid to play videogames.

>So in the end it still boils down to hobby? And I guess... Network security?
You wouldn't be far off, but once you got the hang of it during the hobby stage of usage. You would be able to apply it in everyday productive life, but you'll need to keep in mind that not everything is natively supported on it and that some companies might insist in you using Windows simply because they have specially built programs for that OS or already have payed grands in licenses for it to be on ever machine for the employees.
But if you can (which is exceptionally rare with medium companies) suggest your own concerns and views on it and get yourself in a position where you'll have to prove to be as productive or even more productive then with Windows.
It would more boil down to experimentation of other systems.

But I am curious, how do you perceive the idea of a *NIX based system in as a alternative accepted in daily life client side applications?

I honestly think it's slowly climbing as the commotion with Windows 10 keeps concerning certain groups of individuals and the support of software is noticeably better than a decade ago.

>plenty of programs that require WINE no
Depends on what you need to do. I don't need any Windows programs/games, so I don't use Wine at all. But honestly if you do need Windows only programs, it's better to just use Windows.

>Does anyone here use Linux as a daily driver?

yes

>If so, what purpose?

everything

>Other than playing around in Linux as a hobby I'm don't see how it is better than Windows 7

you're retarded

I use Lubuntu on my laptop. If not for gaming, I'd use it on my Windows desktop as well.

Here's what I do on my laptop:

Write stuff in latex, not just academic stuff, but letters and everything in general because it easy to make templates and reuse them. And it looks more professional than word.

Programming. Explains itself I think, Linux is awesome if you can program, because the terminal is awesome in Linux. There's a terminal program for everything, because they're fairly easy to write since you don't have to bother with creating a graphical user interface and can focus on solving the actual problem. Most devs that focus on problem solving program for Linux first. Just install everything you need right from the repositories. Or clone from git and compile right there and then, because all the tools you need are right there. And you can tailor and customize pretty much anything, if you want to go down that rabbithole.

Watching videos. Mplayer/MPV > VLC.

Tiling Window Managment. If you're on a laptop, the first time you get into tiling feels like adding more monitors to your setup.

Logging into and doing work on remote servers. Works out of the box on Linux. And what do you log into? Another Linux box.

Audio recording and Video editing seems to suck though. I'd guess that stuff is better on MacOS. I've also never edited photos on my Linux machine as I always preferred Lightroom over Darktable and the other free alternatives.

Still, I only keep Windows around for gaming at this point.

> Other than playing around in Linux as a hobby I'm don't see how it is better than Windows 7
Try to build literally anything opensource under windows for windows. Come back when you give up.

Daily driver: yes
I started using linux during university when it was a requirement during a class i had. A VM would've been fine, but my laptop was not that powerful, so i bit the bullet.
Then i began to customize my workflow and at this point, 5 years later, i cannot think to work any other way than "my way".
Also my workplace developes cross plattform open source software so thats not a problem either.

cus it was free and easy to install and use you wincuck

I'm a college student.
It does everything I need it to and is a lot of fun to play around with.

I almost exlusively use Linux (have a windows 9 partition that hasn't been touched in a month) for many reasons
> MUCH better multitasking
> No spying
> More customisable
> MUCH faster
> Package Managers, seriously, this alone makes any distro significantly better than windows.
> Much more stable (even arch)
> Lots of tools I use are not on windows or are worse on windows
> Windows does not respect my freedom and mistreats the user.
> Linux gives me control over my system
> Its much easier to install things like drivers, and keep them up to date
> Using windows makes me want to tear my hair out.
I could go on, but I think thats sufficient.

The better question is, why are you using windows?
Muh adobe is no longer valid as it works in wine, and always was an excuse for muh games.
>inb4 GNU/Linux

I use it as my daily driver, I see no reason why I wouldn't be able to.

>Daily Driver

Yes

> What purpose

Software development. It's the most developer-friendly environment you'll find IF you're developing for the web or embedded systems.

Also, web browsing is good.
In general, Linux also hops on wifi networks faster than win7/8/10 and is oodles more responsive.

Even when using my MacBook I run things in Docker containers or use one of my vms anyway(running linux).

Shit driver support in loonix and something's always broken i was trying out different distros and all of them were broken to some extent. Fedora had gnome crashing all the time and wifi was iffy. Manjaro didn't even boot after update. Ubantu 17 wouldn't load youtube for some reason. Only Ubantu 16 just werked. Fuck this amateur patchwork of shit. I'd rather deal with weird bugs in win10

I've used Linux for many years as a main OS for convenience, stability, lack of annoying updates and gobs of free software. I also use it as host for VMs so I can have several OS on one machine able to be rebooted into clean states for testing applications. I use Windows for CAD but don't want it on bare metal.

If you just gayme and shitpost you don't need anything but Windows IRL because it works well enough. If you were a computer autist you'd like the granular control.

I do because I like Linux :)

>Ubantu 17 wouldn't load youtube for some reason

OS aren't browsers. Stick with Windows if you don't know how browsers interact with Youtube and think the OS is why you've a problem.

You can use Chrome on Linux and Windows which is best Jewtoob browser. Alternate option is Chromium also available for both.

>complains about bugs and faults with *NIX based systems.
>Is okay with Windows bugs
Yeah, sure. If you are trying to come over as someone determined to share his thoughts, at least try to play a bit with the formation of your sentences and try to not post from your phone. The capitalization lead me on that one, try making that less obvious, buddy. :)

Not the point, loonix distros seem to have gotten worse, it wasn't this bad last time I was running Fedora from a pendrive because my HDD died.

>Purpose
To run GuixSD/Guix pkg manager dustycloud.org/misc/talks/guix/chicagolug_2015/guix_talk.html
>no root
>dependency graphs down to the dependency of the compiler
>real containers for development
>configure entire system with emacs
>have a foolproof persistent system with rollbacks
>take snapshot, it's just a tiny textfile, deploy textfile and rebuild entire system remotely that is an exact match of what you're running

My computing consists of booting to i3, with emacs open full screen. I basically live in it because of org-mode, pdf-tools, magit, and many other work related reasons. I still use a browser, which is what i3 is for to run it on the side of my widescreen besides emacs. Besides work, pirating live sports, streaming lectures and occasional shitposting on 4chins I don't use my system for anything else. I'm trying to get it down where I don't even need a browser anymore or a windows manager, preferring to print out papers at a local corner store instead of reading them on a screen. Less I sit in front of this box the better.

It's overall nicer to use than Windows.
I'm a physicist, so the things I do on my computer are the following:
> Latex
Easier to install and update on Linux
> C and Python
Vim/GCC/gdb destroys something like Visual studio in every regard. It's the real "integrated" development environment, because it is perfectly integrated in the Is
> etc
Libre office for presentations. Some vector graphics with Inkscape, web browsing etc

Is = OS

I use Arch on my shitty tinkering around mini-computer, Debian on my main desktop and laptop. I do sometimes boot into Windows for some games, but that's becoming less and less frequent. The reasons why I prefer Linux:
>No bullshit being forced on my installation
>Free and Open Source Software (I do in fact look into the source code of programs that I'm going to use for important stuff)
>Customizability/Flexibility (Tiling WMs for life)
>Performance (my shitty minicomputer (dual core amd something apu) boots up into Arch faster than my main desktop (i5-6500 + 1070) boots up into win10)
>Full control over everything

whos the brave soul that wants to find out whats in this image