Why do many older people stop listening to new music and become stuck in the past?

Why do many older people stop listening to new music and become stuck in the past?

Because the next generation's music always sucks.

cuz music now SUX

Life happens and they stop devoting as much time into music listening and discovery.

nostalgia I guess

The light has gone out on their present so they use it as escapism or they just don't quite appreciate music in general, but as you know, not all are like that.
Not everyone can be John Peel.

because old people are normally busy and dont have time to listen to and discover new music so they normally stick to the music they know and love from there younger years that they are attached to

Old people of the future will have strange taste

I'm horrified of this happening to me. Music means so much to me and I shudder to think I'll be stuck listening to the same shit when I'm 70 that I do now.

I've been forcing myself to diversify my tastes and keep up with micro-genres like Post-Nightcore and Vaporwave. That way I don't get bored of music like I used to. There's always something out there for me to listen to.

after a while there is no adventure or excitement in life anymore so after a while people just want to sit back and remember the good ole days when discovery didnt feel pointless

i really hope this doesn't happen to me when i become older

Tired of people parroting this meme shit. At some point you have to accept that not every generations relation to another is perfectly parallel.

this
they get a full time job or career or something and miss all the promises of youth and shit and look down on what the commitment free young people listen to just cos and shit and stuff

So Sup Forums friends, what happens when we age? Do we reminisce about the music we listened to? Or do we keep going and finding new releases with the kids that haven't been born yet?

What the fuck happens to music when we age, it's tripping me out pls help

>back in my day people used to listen to real music like death grips, grimes, chvrches

This shit happened to me with hiphop. Im not that old though

if you're lazy you reminisce

Will the same people on Sup Forums still be here 20 years from now? Or will Sup Forums no longer be a thing?

I wish this had happened with my dad. Instead of being stuck liking music from the 70s and 80s, he refuses to listen to anything made past 2010. Except he only listens to really shitty "indie" garbage. He's a total pleb and rarely listens to full albums. Some of his favorite bands include Muse, Silversun Pickups, and the Black Keys.

nah we'll either be global warminged or evaporated by nuclear weapons
or ray kurzweil

imagine death grips becoming dadrock and people playing it for their children

36 here.

Older people don't necessarily stop listening to "new" music, they just stop listening to new pop music (and pop in this case ranges from top 40 to Hip Hop to Indie).

Most music in those genres are made by 18-30 year olds and thus speak the most to that demographic. Or you have acts like Death Grips, which are 40 year olds trying to speak 20 year olds.

Once you get past a certain age, that kind of music just stops connecting with you (generally speaking. I'm sure there are plenty of >30 Death Grips and Kanye fans).

>But then why do people still listen to the music of their youth all throughout their lives if they "grew out" of youth music?

Nostalgia, obviously, but also because you formed a sincere connection with those groups during your formative years, so they will always resonate with you.

In my experience, older music fans usually move on to Jazz, Downtempo, Ambient, Blues, Folk, World, and even Classical.

And I'm not trying to suggest those are genres are inherently artistically superior (I hate the art/pop music distinction), just that the "aesthetic" of those genres is more in tune with a post-30 year old mentality. Those styles are usually less aggressive, more atmospheric, and more laid back than what you usually prefer when you're 18 (music that will scare your parents).