Are mechanical keyboards just expensive toys for manchildren?

Are mechanical keyboards just expensive toys for manchildren?

Other urls found in this thread:

keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are manchildren just expensive keyboards for mechanical toys?

its just another thing for buypig whores to spend on

No, but stupid caps are. Just learn to touchtype.

WTF is a mechanical keyboard as opposed to a normal keyboard?! Nobody wants to answer this simple question.

non mechanical = rubber dome or other variants, where the key is pushed back up by a piece of rubber

these are like 95% of all keyboards and like 100% of laptops since theyre so cheap to make, but they have a different feel to use and performance is shit w/e

Oh, I see. And what, mechanical keyboards use springs instead? That makes them rebound faster?

Yes. They are. But when you're a grown up you can spend your own money on what you damn well want. It's the best thing about being an adult.

They use individual mechanical switches, as opposed to a PCB and rubber membrane. Different switches have different spring rates and some have tactile feedback.

keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

t. Poorfag

Just another hobby.

If you're not into it you can still be thankful that there are more options due to increasing demand in higher quality keyboards.

>100% of laptops

*of plasticky chinkpads advertised on Sup Forums

fell for the fc660c topre meme. totally worth it

I bought the cheapest mechanical keyboard I could find, 40 yuropoos, pic related. It's infinitely better that the logitech crap I had before and def worth the money.

Mechanical keyboards are great and are absolutely worth it

However I think it's retarded that some people spend all their free time googling keyboards and buying stupid caps and shit

Definitely do your research before buying one but if it's your whole life and hobby then get a life. I put keyboard hobbyists in the same category as guys who build vapes

there's a whole thread about this go there to sperg out and get your has wiped out of this planet you faggot.

I recently bought an old Dell for $5 that is a much better experience than the membrane junk i had before. If that makes me a manchild than so be it.

Are mechanical keyboards noiser than standard keyboards?

Yes, a few switches are nearly silent.though

I know my MX Blue keyboard keeps my room mate up at night when I'm working on something, it's really audible in the silence

>just expensive toys for manchildren?
>just
No, they are good for typing.
>expensive toys for manchildren
Absolutely. Just have a look in the general and see. Unlabeled keys, meme shaped caps, minimal layouts, DIY boards, Niche switches etc. All wankery.

considering most users of mech keyboards in my area vape and have unhealthy proportions, yes.
doesn't mean that they are bad though, just the community around it is.

Yes, especially considering how much better flat silent keyboards are for typing.

this

mech keyboard = nice

being a keyboard """""""""""""enthusiast""""""""""""" = buypig

There is nothing more soy than mechanical keyboards.

this
every mech keyboard "enthusiast" is a soyboy

yeah, how DARE people use something that makes typing feel better if they use the keyboard for a few hours every day

Yes. I have never seen someone with one of these that wasn't a huge manchild.

nah weak strawman

nothin wrong with owning one

but being an autist about it or considering buying keyboards to be your "hobby" = gay

>hahaha dae fags having hobbies that i dont have le soy maymay amirite guise?

yea having your "hobby" be buying keyboards is about as soy as collecting those big head figurines

>considering buying paintings to be your "hobby" = gay
>considering buying cars to be your "hobby" = gay
>considering buying instruments to be your "hobby" = gay
who's the real strawman here

I'll remember to check my hobbies with the """""""experts""""""" on Sup Forums before taking them on rather than considering whether they are enjoyable to me or not.

Imagine being this cucked, measuring something you do for your own enjoyment by what other people think about it.

Okay, can you give us a quick rundown on hobbies approved by the one and only anonymous poster?

whittling and team sport

Yes.
Anyone who claims otherwise is a manchild.

>spending money on what you dam well please is the best thing about being an adult
The absolute state of manchildren

e-sports are sports, checkmate faggot

Just buy a kinesis advantage

>stabbing wood with a butter knife
>chasing an inflated goat intestine to knock it between two rods
nice "hobbies" you have here

no

yes they are
chess is also a sport
so is poker

yeah, they need to grow up like the rest of us. Mechanical keys are technically inferior so idk why

yea mechanical keyboards are like hard disks while non mechanical are like solid state drives

Buying shit isn't a hobby. Going grocery shopping isn't a hobby. And using a mechanical keyboard isn't a hobby either, that's like saying that using shoes to walk is a hobby.

>buying shit isn't a hobby
constructing a keyboard myself to the specs i desire isn't a hobby?
if buying shit isn't a hobby, then what about, say, collecting warhammer figurines, or anything else for that matter?
is buying pieces of history not a hobby because you have to buy them?

what a strawman

>Anything I enjoy can be a hobby
Fucking ad hominem spewing faggot.

gay

they're like legos except cheaper and more PCBs than usual

We're all just expensive mechanical toys.

Hmmmm

>anything i can't enjoy can't be a hobby
lmao

A hobby is something constructive. Jerking off and cumming on keyboards isn't a constructive activity.

>it meets the definition of a hobby therefore its justified
sad

>A hobby is something constructive
He even posted the definition and you can't get it right.

>a word's definition is what i say it is, not what the consensus for centuries has been
(You)

My personal opinion is that mechanical keyboards are both much better and much more satisfying to type on than membrane keyboards.

They are clearly not "toys". As for expensive, well, that doesn't actually have to be the case. I use as DuckDuckShine keyboard on my desktop. That keyboard really is expensive. I also wanted a mechanical keyboard for my HTPC so I ordered a EleEnter Game1 with some Chinese blue-style switches. It cost me $40 including shipping. There really isn't that big of a difference between that cheap "knock-off" mechanical keyboard and the DuckDuckShine but there's a world of difference between those two and a membrane keyboard.

Just go to a store that sells mechanical keyboard and try a few keyboards and compare it to your own keyboard and you'll get it.

That's just silly. You can get a mechanical keyboard for $40. There's plenty of membrane keyboards that are more expensive than that.

Some are, some are not. "Mechanical keyboard" just means it's got some kind of mechanical switch. There are many types. Blues really are very noisy and they are made to be loud. Red and brown switches are not loud. A mechanical keyboard with brown switches and o-rings can be near silent.

>this level of projection
Lesiure is defined by doing something productive. For example, sweeping a floor is more of a hobby than fumbling with a type of keyboard.

Kek, you're operating off a subjective argument right now. A hobby is something concrete and constructive, not a floating point of being lazy.

>Literally constructing a keyboard
>not constructive

Using a mechanical keyboard is literally the same as using a ball mouse. There's better technology now which is why you have to go so out of your way to get one and why no high end computers use them. It's outdated inferior technology.

lol that's not even properly wired

>you're operating off a subjective argument right now
And you, mister "it's not a hobby if i don't like it", aren't?
>a hobby is something concrete and constructive
no, a hobby is a repeated activity that provides relaxation or comfort, which could be anything you're interested in

tell me, does amateur poetry or painting count as a hobby?
It doesn't amount to anything
Is tinkering under your car's hood a hobby?
what are YOUR hobbies? Come on, list them, let's have a laugh together

Almost no one in /mkg/ builds their own shit and you know it. It's manchild consumerism central. Like dressing up Barbie dolls for neckbeards.

A hobby is real, hard work. For example, one of my hobbies by the actual definition is working at my job. A second example of a hobby would be cleaning the dishes.

Hobbies are just a further extension of work. The word "leisure" is literally the semantics of doing nothing. Get it right bud.

>no high end computers use them.

Cost is why they don't ship with generic prebuilts. Keyboard and mouse choices are personal therefore subjective. You know better than that and troll like a teentard.

Ricing keyboards is a hobby. Using mechanical or any other keyboard is using a human interface tool.

Shitposting on Sup Forums also seems to be a hobby of yours

it'd be pretty sad to meet a person who considers their job and menial tasks like cleaning dishes, considering how devoid they'd be of personality or interests

but hey, i know you're just pretending to be retarded here, so no point discussing that

Are there ergonomic mechanical keyboards or just the trash rectangle layout?

To answer your question OP, mostly yes.
The only nonmanchild reason to get one is if you do a lot of typing and you can type faster and more accurately with one.

I bought this $50 one with Kailh Blue's and it satisfies my slight autism.
I can definitely type faster on it, but I don't do a lot of typing as I'm an engineering student. It really does make typing up the occasional paper a LOT more fun though.

Well worth my money tbqh. I've had it three years now. I like to buy things that get me to enjoy (or hate less) otherwise tedious activites.

>the same as using a ball mouse
Don't be silly. A ball mouse is objectively worse than any optical mouse. A mechanical keyboard on the other hand is much, much better.

It's like dressing up Barbie dolls, but it isn't - keyboards actually serve a function, and a purpose. Keyboards also aren't aimed at children, either.

>Keyboards also aren't aimed at children, either.
they literally are

Yeah, but they tend to be overpriced since they're pretty niche. You could always build your own though.

ah, yes
the good old days of children comparing keyboards in the playground

>Are mechanical keyboards just expensive toys for manchildren?
Yes.

>GEEK HACK

gamer gear and rgbshit is literally targeted at children

you're either stupid, out of touch, or a mental child

myy pro stapmania kb playar so i need goob keyboabd

we're not talking about glowing bright red gayming keyboards, we're talking about keyboards.

this is Sup Forums, not Sup Forums.

so you're all 3 huh

>ad hominem
F, see me after class

>everything I don't like is for manchildren
Jesus, grow up

>not understanding what ad hominem is
ad hominem is you're stupid therefore youre wrong, I'm just calling you stupid since that describes you, you not understanding anything I wrote is a separate issue

ad hominem is attacking the person and not the argument
you attacked the person, not the argument
F, see me after class

Only the gay artisans and rainbow tier caps

Keyboard is a tool that I use many hours every single day, figurines are worthless pieces of shit that sit on your desk

nope, ad hominem is a false logical structure not a fancy word for an insult, you literally dont even understand the words youre using no wonder youre so lost

>you literally dont even understand the words youre using
that's literally ad hominem

its ok just reread my posts until you get it, what does your caretaker usually recommend when you struggle? maybe try google

>i was only pretending to be retarded

No. They genuinely feel better to type on. Also the keys are more durable.

Any keyboard missing the row of F-keys is a toy. Something like a Vortex Race 3 is realistically as small as you should go.

60%, 40%, ortho, etc, etc, are fucking memes.

Do you get off on this? I sure am.

A trackball mouse is PERFECT for a cluttered desk of a non-games. I loved my old Logitech trackball and I'm thinking about buying another one.
I love it because then I can be working on stuff in front of me (working engineering problems, repairing an electronic device, eating, etc) and not be smashing my mouse into it.

The only people who do not use mechanical keyboards tend to be people who aren't around computers much in the first place.
I've been using an IBM Model M for the past 15 years. I hate typing on a rubber dome keyboard. Just feels like crap. Even most mechanicals feel like rubber domes compared to this bad boy.

As for keycaps, rick and morty shit and drug paraphernalia keyboards, yes, they are toys for man children. They deserve to be beaten over the head with a keyboard.

A ball mouse is not a trackball...
Two different things.
Trackballs are good but you need to buy an expensive one like the l-track and even the ergonomics of those suck and need to be fixed with a cushion.

>A trackball mouse
so, a trackball OR a mouse?