The Vega part of the APU's overclock to 1.6Ghz with the stock cooler!

The Vega part of the APU's overclock to 1.6Ghz with the stock cooler!

I know this is not for you rich kids with 1080Ti, but i feel like the APU's live up to my expectations: almost RX 550 performance in stock settings, in a cheap APU package. I'm getting one.

Look at this review, go 15 minutes in, if you don't want the general benchmark results.

youtube.com/watch?v=FntY5rYR4cE

Now, it is going to need a good amount of DDR4, and as we all know, that is ruining budget builds potential right now, because this APU would have made a budget-cost midrange-performance PC possible.

Other urls found in this thread:

computerbase.de/2018-02/ryzen-3-2200g-5-2400g-test-amd-raven-ridge/3/
techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_2400G_Vega_11/19.html
computerbase.de/2014-01/amd-kaveri-arbeitsspeicher/2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

but whats the hashrate

Why is everyone only benchmarking the latest AAA games?
I'm more interested about how well it can handle older last gen titles like XCOM:EU and Dishonored.

The demographics for most of these channels are children; who by the way, only play the latest and greatest trash.

I think it's good. I'm not in the price range for it, but there doesn't actually exist entry-range GPUs any more so this is good news.

as long as i can play csgo i'm game bruh

no

please no

And the good amount of DDR4 is?

It's excellent news for people strapped for cash. You can very realistically build a PC for under 300 euro that can run a LOT of games.

>under 300
with the r3?

What are the MSRPs of these?

Nevermind.

$99, $149 and $169

>these shitty things are going to be the only GPUs people can legitimately buy for 2018 without cryptofag market rape

amazing! what an upgrade! what technological wonders the cockblockchain has provided us with?!!!!

Not with current RAM prices you can't. Still, definitely a good deal.

NOOOOOOOOO
Buy intel it's better for you
>i don't have any jews memes

*$99 and $169

$149 is the regular Ryzen 5 1400

computerbase.de/2018-02/ryzen-3-2200g-5-2400g-test-amd-raven-ridge/3/

>89C

Enjoy your AYYMD HOUSEFIRES

they're glued unlike most of the Ryzen line

It's okay it can handle 105C.

but is it faster and does it use less electricity than the i5 2500k?

I too want an answer. This shit could help me save money on my mining rigs.

Fuck off, kike. Also, >implying the Intel CPUs on that list can even deliver higher than single digit framerates.

Atm it's way better value to buy an old workstation with a Xeon. I grabbed one with an x5650 (1366) for encoding/streaming for £140.

I'm not sure what the purpose of these APUs is, they were bad back when they glued Athlons to GPUs, and they're still kinda bad now.

I'm not even entirely sure why anything below the RX 570 exists when they're completely non-competitive with the competition. The 570 is sort of interchangeable with the GTX 1060, and the 580 isn't quite 1070 levels. Who the fuck has any substantial purpose for an RX 550? You could buy something second hand for less.

What is rx560 fags

old xeons can be bought almost for free. i got mine for $5 but those 1366 boards are expensive.

bought one this morning

Laptops. Power usage is way lower than older chips, plus a modern 4c8t CPU would likely match that 6c12t Xeon (I have one too).

Not everyone wants to play AAA games at 1080p max settings, these chips are great for casuals.

I'm going to use it for all the older games and Paradox games i play, som single player games two, but that'll be Wolfenstein, so all good with an equal to RX 550. I'm getting one.

At least 8Gb. You should go for 16Gb, but, if you can find identical operational sticks of 8 and 4Gb, you could save little by going for 12. I have a laptop at 10Gb, which i got together that way. But it's not easy, and the difference in that way compared to my laptop, is that if you can't clock them efficiently and get the latency down, the GPU performance will suffer, so it's much easier to get a good kit of 2x8Gb if you're going to play newer games.

>The Vega part of the APU's overclock to 1.6Ghz with the stock cooler!
>90c

89C is not horrible, it is indeed tolerable. You fell for the 30C meme. Are you also watercooling a Raspberry Pi?

90c is not a catastrophe. Quick spikes between say 20C and 90C will hurt the die in the long run, but with a CPU onboard, the max and idle temps will not quickly spike all the time.

Nice, i'm still waiting for availability in Denmark. I can get it from Germany, but i don't want to deal with that sort of hassle if there's any problems.

There really is no defending the simple fact that AMD went with toothpaste instead of solder on these chips.

I'm guessing the stutter in games on the 2400G that some reviewers complained about on is due to thermal throttling (just a guess since the less power-using 2200G doesn't have this problem).

Cost is probably the reason. Still, there's no excuse.

You keep saying Gb. I don't think that means what you think it means.

Hopefully Intel brand delidders are compatible with them, then.

YES THERE IS.

AMD did it themselves, they said:
>"we went for the cooling paste, in order to save money, so the APU's would be as competitive as possible"

Something Intel still doesn't admit. Am i a fan of this general idea? no way, but do i support their decisions to make the APU as cheap as possible in the current market, yes i do very much. Even if its just 30$ for the end consumer, that's a nice saving in the current RAM prices.

Also, just check the intro of the link OP have. He says the same thing within minutes.

Literally nobody else cared enough that they didn't just read it as Gigabyte, you autist.

Oh noooo! look at me, i will mistakenly buy torrent bandwidth capacity on sticks, instead of operational critical RAM because of a mistyping on an imageboard. Dear god!

How am i ever going to fix this unprecedented mistake? Do i single handed get credit for destabilizing transfer rates and storing capacity by this?!

Oh no, the humanity is doomed!

This apu is such a joke. Laughing hard at shills trying to defend it this hard
>BUT IT'S /OURBRAND/

No, just give me the Intel-Vega combo for desktops instead, and I'll buy that. All i want, is a cheap setup, in purchase and operation(!), that i can play all my legacy games on, and newer ones on low settings, because there's no way i'm spending the money equal to several nights out, or a good suit, or what ever you fancy, in order to have great graphics for a year, only to pay the same amount again. I can't get a midrange card for midrange money, but now i can get a decent APU instead.

I hoped for this situation with the original AMD APUs, but man they sucked.

I bought an old Dell workstation. Works pretty well, even if the BIOS is a hassle and the fan makes a bit of a noise.

Laptops, sure, I guess. I'm not sure how well they'd actually do seeing the thermals on these APUs. I remember a few of the AMD laptops from a few years ago, they usually burnt themselves out.

As for desktops, if the performance is tit for tat, with RAM being costly as all hell, why wouldn't you just grab an old workstation? It'd end up cheaper.

Yes I hate the TIM too, I think some AMD rep on reddit said their "enthusiast chips" (i.e. Pinnacle Ridge) would continue to use solder though. Intel doesn't even use it on HEDT any more.

I don't see why the R5 2400G would throttle though, unless the IGP is overclocked. Temperatures are perfectly fine at stock with the stock cooler, even with toothpaste.

Hahaha, AMD poorfags desperately trying to distance themselves from DELID THIS memes.

If you look at these benchmarks the apu cant even hold 60fps in old game. Save you money

nope, this is also me:
I was a fan of AMD back in the days, then they sucked, now i have 3 Intel machines, which are getting old, and all i want is a decent upgrade, because i'm not 19 years old, and will not wait for three days in an outdoor line to get a GPU costing more than a month of rent.

I'm getting this, and just putting a decent 20 buck cooler on it, and i will be so satisfied by this, that you'll cry you self to sleep when i happily play my non-AAA games.

Is that with the driver from AMD, or the actually good drivers from the community?

I'm very enthusiastic about the new APUs.

Still too expensive to warrant an upgrade from my 7yo machine (roughly 35% cpu/gpu performance of the 2200).

Eagerly awaiting price drops, especially on RAM.

No. There's is no excuse. It's inexcusable. Yes, yes, they have a story. If a child goes into a toystore and steals a toy and you ask why and they say "I really wanted it and I didn't have any money" then that's not an excuse, it's just whining.

This is a total scandal and you know it.

Also, when they say "in order to save money" they really mean "increase our profit margin".

>I don't see why the R5 2400G would throttle though
As I said, I've got no idea if that stuttering is due to thermal throttling or not and I don't know if it's due to the toothpaste or not. It's just a guess based on the fact that it only happens with the more powerful of the two. It's odd when the less powerful chip gives you the more fluid experience.

Regardless of this, it's a total outrage. AMD's always used proper solder on their chips, that's always been their advantage. We could trust them to do the right thing. And now they quietly decide to stuff toothpaste in their chips. There is no excuse. None.

Before the fanboy LARPers get you, let me tell you something actually informative for you.

RAM prices wont fall, all waffer foundries has announced price increases, waffers is basically all electronics. I can't predict if we consumers will pay noticeably more, but i can tell you that there's a 100% guarantee that RAM prices don't "normalize" unless a miracle happens. As in some governmental interference, but in China? Nah.

It doesnt matter, its an apu. Its never going to be worth it

Yes they mean increase their profit margin, they said that in their shareholders announcement late last year. the specifically answered a major shareholders direct question to the pricing of new APUs and profit prediction, that they would make the APUs cheaper, and more profitable. In a later question they pointed out that APU of this type was not for enthusiast, like you, so they would make them differently. (Here's your paste) We were warned about this, it was even on the faggot youtubers mind in December. Some nodded at this statement, and some acted just like you.

I'm perfectly aware they won't fall user. Not in the next 10 years.

It was an insidious joke that I'll never upgrade from my old machine, which has a third of performance of a modern laptop.
PC component market is a disaster nowadays.

Thanks for the concern though!

Oh yeah, a picture says more than a thousand words. Good comeback. Not just a stupid last ditch attempt to stay cool about a statement in which you now realize, that all of Sup Forums do not idolize you as an Egyptian god for you're fine crusade against the hell-spawn filthy casual, that made a tiny error. And i'm sorry, but i do not run Mint Linux and brag about that.

And thanks for your good maners. I just trying to save the virgins for the legacy of youtube "first"posters, like this guy:
And a lot other in this thread. Have a good day, friend.

>Laptops, sure, I guess. I'm not sure how well they'd actually do seeing the thermals on these APUs. I remember a few of the AMD laptops from a few years ago, they usually burnt themselves out.
The thermals are fine, look at all reviews instead of one outlier or overclocked ones.

>As for desktops, if the performance is tit for tat, with RAM being costly as all hell, why wouldn't you just grab an old workstation? It'd end up cheaper.
Same argument for any current rig, nothing specific to this APU.

It's never been the use of TIM that was the problem, it was Intel's use of bargain-basement poorly-applied TIM that left thermals 20-30 C higher than expected. This is obvious from the fact that if you delid Intel's CPUs and use decent TIM you get thermals more in line with what you'd expect from a soldered chip.

From the thermals on these APUs, it's clearly not horrendous TIM (a la Skylake). Yes, solder would be nicer but it's not disastrous. Now if Pinnacle Ridge also had TIM and it was obvious that it left temperatures noticeably worse than Summit Ridge (i.e. direct comparison) then I'd be mad.

Seems like with GPU prices through the roof ever more capable SOC hardware is a solution especially for the mainstream market.

Thats a funny way to backwards rationalize the very poor performance of this apu in games

Very poor compared to what? A GPU that costs twice as much as this APU?

A ps4 pro lmao like why tf would you buy an apu for desktop gaming just stick to consoles poorfag

Actually, consoles are waaay more bang for buck than PC. In my country, a pc with a 1050ti and a Ryzen 1400 costs double the amount of ps4.

Ye thats why i said it

there are some games u can only play on computer. and i dont have a computer thats actually mine. and im perfectly fine with console performance because im an infant

Id still buy intel with an igpu and wait until you find a deal on a 1050ti

Thanks. I did not know this, I am not a major shareholder in AMD. I'm still disappointed in their toothpaste decision. The AMD Athlon 5350 APU was dirt cheap and they managed to do that one right so the cost savings can't be that big. I'd prefer if they just charged $3 or what they save extra. It's not like budget computers will be a thing any time soon...

..unless the whole crypto market crashes hard, and it would have to crash a whole lot harder than it has so far. What product can hardly be found on store shelves and are wildly overpriced and has 4 GB of GDDR RAM on it? Few people coinsider this part of the equation but those DDR4 prices are directly related to GPUs.

You're forgetting one minor detail there. I still have a mostly-off NAS (I use it like an external HDD, turn it on if I need to copy something from/from that box) powered by that superb Athlon II x3 at a whopping 2.9 GHz. That box works just fine. It'll work just fine in a year. The capacitors on the motherboard will eventually blow. It will, however, not start turning off 5 minutes after I turn it on because the CPU is overheating because the toothpaste under the CPU lid has expired. That will not happen because there is solder - not toothpaste - under the hood.

There is still - and never will be - any excuse for using toothpaste. It is a total scandal.

With a used i5 dell

doubt it, even low profile 1050s are getting rounded up by crypto niggers

We'll see how it compares when it's actually generally available. They've been bad about gotchas that are only seen after they get into the hands of the masses.

>2400G
>Performance somewhere in between i3 8350K and i5 8400 depending on the game or in some productivity cases it's even faster.
>You get a RX 550.
>If you want more and add a 1050 TI or something it's pretty much the same performance as the Intel CPUs mentioned above.

>2200G
>Enough for what 99% of people do on their PCS and ideal for something like a mITX HTPC with not a lot of space needed and no extra GPU noise/energy draw.
>Still can pull off playable 900p gaming.
>A single Benjamin and you get change so you can fuck OPs mom.

Why are you morons bitching again?

You have to pay the RAM premium for every computer, so it doesn't matter that much.

Intel guys run at these temps all the time when they OC without delid.

>The AMD Athlon 5350 APU was dirt cheap and they managed to do that one right so the cost savings can't be that big.
That definitely had TIM, not solder.

>No. There's is no excuse. It's inexcusable.
Except when Intel does it on CPus that cost $300-$2000, right? Intel had reason guys, the solder is not durable or some other fairy tale.

>RX 550
Oh wow, an APU that can work for an HTPC.

Lol you dumb cunt!

Wow intel defence force out in droves, you've been quiet for a while. I guess when your own products are an untouchable laughing stock all you can really do is crawl out of the gutter and fling poo at your competition.

>uses tim instead of solder
>oh shit guys look how shit the temps are
Gee, it's like people only like to recognize how shit TIM is when one company does it.

>buy intel with iGPU and wait™

how much does it even cost to solder a chip

Can anybody explain Vega to a slightly confused user, I thought the verdict on Vega from the discrete cards was that it was very power hungry and heat generating compared to the competition, shouldn't that mean it's not very suited to being a low power unit on an APU?

>amd on-board graphics anywhere from a minimum of 3x up to a maximum of 8x as fast as intel

remember when incels were pretending their igpus weren't complete dogshit? holy fucking shit

As said in the review and elsewhere, the Wraith Stealth cooler isn't adequete enough to handle overclocked CPU and GPU on Raven Ridge at the same time. Delidding may help but in the end, you need a better cooler/thermal paste to do AMD better than what they have given you by default and messing with either for better thermal headroom/performance would cost you and miss the entire point of the budget aspect and the pricepoint the APUs are at.

Its very efficient in the lower gpu Departement way more than incest and nivea offers

No you would not, because you have 1080ti paid by intel for shilling/

I just came into Sup Forums to ask some questions about this, I am so confused. Why does it cost less that the Ryzen 3 1200? It's mot CPU? Does it go in the CPU socket? Please help

You have to wait a couple of weeks and search on youtube, someone will bench them.

Im considering an ultra small build with one. I just wish we had motherboards that didn't have a pcie slot so that we could have even smaller builds. Like imagine an m.2 drive that mounts on the bottom, your fan and io headers that thats it. We couls have amazing performance in a tinier form factor

1.6ghz? Nigger Techpowerup only managed 1.3ghz:
techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_2400G_Vega_11/19.html
Either it's massive silicon lottery at work here, or some fuckery with the numbers.

Den er på lager hos Proshop.

>The Vega part of the APU's overclock to 1.6Ghz with the stock cooler!
But even with DDR4 3200 memory, you are memory bottlenecked at 1080p long before then.

For the 2200G this is great. You can straight up get +50% performance with DDR4 3200 and the 1.6GHz overclock compared to the DDR4 2400 and 1.1GHz.
But for the 2400G, it seems you can't get much more than +30% performance while spending so much more money.

Other than not having SMT, which does smooth out minimum FPS in some games and makes productivity a lot better, it seems like it's way better to just get the 2200G, faster RAM, and overclock.
The 2400G costs too much. Should be $150 or $140 even.

It exists, it's called mini-stx.

Reminder that AMD APUs love dual-rank memory, but none of the
>>>>>text expert youtubers
bothered to test this.

>computerbase.de/2014-01/amd-kaveri-arbeitsspeicher/2/
Go figure only the Germans are competent enough to test this stuff.
Gamersnexus doesn't even know the fucking difference between DR and SR.

Granted, it's pretty hard to find DR DDR4 compared to DDR3.

Now if only the DRAM cartel would cease their impropriety, we'd be able to pair these new chips with appropriately fast RAM for an economical price.

I thought the chinese government was about to crack down on them? I hope they will, because those prices are absurd.

>Intel guys run at these temps all the time when they OC without delid.
Lmfao. People were getting 80C with AIOs on stock 7700keks.

Plenty of Intel CPUs with TIM were fine.
The 4790k's TIM was perfectly fine.
These APU's TIM is no different.

It's later production Skylake and Kabylake that had mega-shit TIM and too much spacing to the IHS.

90C on stock cooler with such a GPU overclock sounds acceptable to me.

2200G overclocked with 3200 RAM seems to actually nearly match the 1050/550. So good enough for 1080p low/medium.

Vega is extremely power efficient at 1250MHz or less. It's at 1640MHz massively overclocked and with only 1 ROP per CU (Vega64 is 64ROPs, 64CUs. Vega11 iGPU is 16ROPs and 11CUs) that it's extremely power efficient for its performance.
Give Vega more ROPs than CUs and clock it lower, and it's great.

I'm seeing

anyone watching techtubers for anything other than entertainment is delusional
ffs jay couldnt even get his to work

Ryzen laptops when?

Thata cool. Sucks theres no am4 boards though