/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtu.be/E6WMenS141A

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

maenwatches.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

pls

>tfw thinking of starting a swatch collection

What are some real nice watch brands I can find convincing bootlegs of?

go ask r/watches

I need advice for a good ~$50 watch for my boyfriend, the more black the better, preferably not digital but some kind of waterproofing, he's a sailor

/r/watches

But I don't have a reddit account

WELCOME TO /WT/ NOW GET OUT

Why don't more firms make slim crowns?

I think the watch fits the standard for dressy casual.
Gold coloured case: check
leather strap: check

That's already classy. The chronograph is what makes it 'sporty', as it serves a function that is unrelated to the time or date.

The rule I use (but not necessarily how others see it) is that if the watch tells more than the time and date, then it's one tier down from tuxedo.

Just keep in mind that it's very rare to find a social circle where people actually adhere to these rules. Bond wears a diving watch, so that idea is already in the public consciousness. I wouldn't balk at a man wearing a Lange chrono flyback with a tux...I'd ask to 'gently hold it please'....lol

Does your circle acknowledge this difference in style, or are you imprinting the concern to the circle who might not care at all what you wear?

Those shitters are going to be very collectable in a few years.

/r/reptime

Read the sticky

>the more black the better
>he's a sailor
Heh

>he's a sailor
>some kind of waterproofing

Does your boyfriend like watersports?

Anyone have any vintage suggestions for 24 hour watches under 38mm?
Don't know how to buy a raketa that's not a franken.
Other than that, any timex easy reader alternatives that I might have a look at? Vintage is fine on that as well. Thanks

If you look around enough and do some research you will start to see what parts are correct and what parts are not. Not that hard pal.

So far so good.
Absolutely no Rolex boys

I posted this before but this thing is actually pretty cool especially for the money i spent on it. The alarm actually works really well.

Oh it's definitely more in my head than anything else, I just like to get second opinions. Appreciate the response though, that's pretty much what I wanted to hear. I do have a proper dress watch too, pic related.

Oh, and here's my Citizen, for the hell of it. I'm sure /wt/ will agree an upgrade was needed.

Nice.
Where I live, no one notices or cares; style isn't the most important thing, how much money is. So, you'll see all kinds of strange watches on tuxes...Balls, Hublots, Panerais, etc. Elegance doesn't mean a thing, and a Patek would be called 'overpriced' and 'boring' here. More means more, in other words.

But then again, this style issue has permeated through everything now. The rule of matching leather belts to leather shoes in terms of colour is no longer truly adhered to. Same with socks patterns, shirt patterns, ties, etc.

For me, the only purpose of these kinds of expensive watches is to be happy watching them go round and round. Hearing them tick, feeling them on the wrist, looking at the mechanism if you have a rear window. We've hit a stage in fashion now which I think has finally broken the barrier of 'anything goes'...the watch industry is not there yet, but considering how popular Alain Silberstein watches were a few years back, I guess anything is possible as the old guard dies away.

Do what makes you happy, and wear whatever you want in good health. After all, you're the one who has to look at the time, so why not look at something that brings a smile to your face?

I have this coming in the mail right now...I know all the details as to why it will not match the reliability of any of my other watches, but I don't care. The aesthetics speak to me in a very LOUD way that I can't ignore, and if it actually works when I get it out of the box, I'll be pleased as punch.
Wear what makes you happy.

still nothing sadly
how do I disengage this?

youtube.com/watch?v=0TnnCDaI0wY

Man like Archie showing us the way. Put your hands together for the saviour.

I've read online a lot of people like to match their leather watch band with their belt and shoes as well. Seems like a lot of work to me, either constantly changing your watch strap or having multiple dress watches on call. Personally I always use brown leather straps because that's just what I have, don't really worry too much about my shoes being brown or black.

Well, those materials should match if you're going to be formal. Same with colours of precious metals: if you are wearing yellow gold (as a man), then you should only wear yellow gold (so, gold rings, gold watches, gold cufflinks, gold tie pins). Leather it's the same: textures and colours should be uniform throughout.

But this is precisely my point...no one is going to notice that your belt is patterned brown leather and your shoes are not but still brown, and if they do, they're not going to call you out on it.

Hell, we have wedding rings that are black now, so what does that say? I'm not saying that we should throw style out the window because anything goes, but there is less and less evidence to suggest that anyone will care.

In terms of work to change out straps, well, that depends. If you only have one 'good' watch, then of course. But if you have the money to properly detail your style, then you should have quite a few in the rotation, with different strap options for each.

I have to admit, there have been times that I've wondered if style rules were only perpetuated in order to make money for the ones who produce the products we're supposed to wear. Like engagement rings always being diamonds simply because DeBeers needed to sell them during the great crash.

It's a tough one.

So despite this running minutes off per day in testing, it's running low single-digit spd on my wrist. Maybe EM fields or vibration while in the incubator was messing with it?

>looking at on the wrist pics on WUS to gauge how a watch wears
>half of the pics have the watch jammed against their hand with a sleeve or cuff jammed on the other side
>"Perfect on mine"
>"How's mine look?"

Alright I need the official rundown on Junghans Max Bill.

I keep considering one, I want to know if they do anything to the movement to change it from a stock 2824. Does anyone have a Max Bill that could post their thoughts on the watch? Also really worried about the crystal, some people say it shatters easily.

yeah it's a shame. Need a standard library of wrist shots.

RIP Nineball who was working on a comprehensive collection of wrist shots including width, focal length, etc

I guess, I might throw a black strap on my dressy watch then, my nicest pair of shoes is black leather. It is a pretty dark brown though, and I dress up so infrequently I don't know if it's worth it. It's a pretty damn nice strap too.

still have no idea what happend to that guy.

Did he die

There are tools that make it easy to remove the springbars to switch out straps without scratching up the underside of the lugs, you can get them online. It's worth investing in if you do this frequently...if not, then a watch screwdriver will suffice in a pinch.

I have never bothered to match watch leather with shoes...which probably makes me a heathen. Honestly, I don't think ANYONE would notice this on you.

That being said, what I tend to do is switch out to a leather strap once in a while (like, every 3-4 months I change from bracelet to something different). I also have a Blue sharkskin Hirsch strap for my Seamaster (in addition to a blue random leather strap I bought at a corner store) which I switch out to once in a while. I don't know if it's actual shark, but the great thing is that it keeps the nautical feel while allowing me to protect the bracelet from the usual scratches that it might accumulate through wear.

The only problem is that the strap is many years old, and it's falling apart. Hmm...now I feel like I should switch it out tonight.

Whenever we'd switch out to a different strap, we'd say that the watch is wearing 'new shoes', I don't know if that's still the same terminology used here...but it's stuck with me, that's for sure.

Dental floss works pretty well too, and there's no chance of scratching anything

Absolutely, though I've never tried the technique. I have a steady hand...but I need to resist the temptation to change straps after I've had a few drinks in the evening. Those kinds of operations always seem like a good idea after a glass of wine...and then you wake up in the morning with scratches all over the place.

I really love these.

Iirc, an user gave a very technical description why the chronograph one is really shitty. Basically the movement eats it self.
Also, the straps are pretty fucking bad.

That's all I could help.

Fuck I missed that, I just wan't to know if they do anything to the ETA to make it special or if it's just a basegrade ETA 2824 for 1200 fucking dollars.

Iirc the seconds hand is chrono-only, which is real weird
I could be wrong, didn't Google it

No, he wasn't, because he failed to realize what a fucking retarded idea that is to try to standardize.

How good are Seiko OEM Jubilee bracelets? Wanna slap one onto my SKX after trying on a mesh bracelet and god it was fucking painful

To the dude who was wondering about the lumed MN strap-

Just got it today. It seems the white stripe is in fact white stitching which seems to have been dipped in lume or something. It's good , as it won't just start crumbling away. It white through and through.

It is luminous in the dark, but it's a very thin line. Doesn't really have any practical use. It's cool, I guess.

The strap itself is super comfortable. I'll post pictures at some point.

>don't buy in house movements
>don't buy vintage

Which means buy my shitty TGV Lionshark becuase it's an ETA shitter and any jabroni can fix it. Also don't buy vintage so me and my friends (one of whom has a vintage watch selling business) can corner the market.

Why is this man allowed to be taken seriously. I feel like he's done irreversible damage to this hobby/community in the past 1-2 years.

see

>t. tgv

If someone wants to buy something like an old accutron I will say sure go for it. Just know that the movement will need to possibly be serviced by someone who specializes in accutrons. So take that into consideration. What is wrong with that?

I'm not a fan but he recommends in house and loves vintage. Take the piss all you want but don't lie.

Finally received my Beijing beihai
It's pretty nice, and holy shit it's light. For moments I didn't even felt it.
I had some panic Attacks trying to set the hour since the crown feels weird. I've seen it's a common issue.
Leather says genuine lizard and it feels nice desu.

I think I should have chosen red because the second is hard to see at first. Fuck.

It fits a wristlet quite well

Those are some dogshit pictures but it looks pretty nice. Think I would go for red myself. Let us know how's the accuracy on it.

My 5yo potato can't take any good pictures. I have a camera laying somewhere so I'm gonna take new pics I guess

Really just the terrible angles/lighting that are 90% glare

Also, I'd say to get the red one. I plan on buying the celadon red imperial, that's why I didn't bother to get the red one.

Anyone else have a roadmap for their next two pieces?

I want to pick up something from Sinn and a stainless GMT Master ii coke bezel before the prices get too much more insane.

They're harder to use.

Yep, fortnight's time I'm buying a set of golf clubs.
About a fortnight after that I'm going to buy a Seiko Dolce unless I find a shop my Father can pick up one in Singapore in which case he will buy it in person for cheaper than shipping it.
Then save a couple of hundred a week and buy a Rolex date just by the end of the year.
In between might pick up a G shock for fun/golfing.

>trying to be a watch fag
>have soyboy wrists

This is the worst feeling ever. How long does it take to gain wrist size through working out?

>you went to some cash over the counter kike
Uh no, I'd be sending it to an official Omega service center, or at least a watchmaker who took the co-axial servicing course.

>and you're surprised they lied?
There's no lying about a damaged escapement, that shit is typically very obvious in the timing alone.
Especially with a display caseback.

I'm wearing this Chinese crap, I only got it because some chink seller told me it was a steel case. It's not, it's chrome plated brass.

The weird thing about it is that when you use the light the display inverts.

>I'm pretty much immune to the advertisements of 'heritage' and 'tradition' that we are bombarded with today
I kind of agree and don't agree.
On the one hand I have a lot of respect for the way GS does its watches, and I even like some of their designs.
I also like the fact that Japan is so staunchly isolationist, unlike the modern Western world which likes to pretend it doesn't even exist.
But then I am still European, and somehow I'm still attracted to the "prestige" of European watchmaking, which does hark back to the old Europe which still had a sense of pride and identity.
BUT it does have to be actually fucking made in Europe, and that Omega receipt for that Chinese bracelet link pisses me off (if it is indeed what everyone claims it is).

Infinity years.
Becoming obese will help, but there aren'y any muscles in the wrist.

Everything is made in china.

Well I like to think brands like Rolex don't make anything in China.
And of course the higher-end brands, of which there are many.

That's because Rolex is 10 times bigger than literally everyone else, and the independants are priced with absolutely no regards for value. Any brand that sells watches under 10k makes parts in china. And that doesn't make them any worse than if they were made in Switzerland or anywhere else.

>That's because Rolex is 10 times bigger than literally everyone else
The Swatch group, Richemont, etc. are many times bigger.

>that doesn't make them any worse than if they were made in Switzerland or anywhere else
Maybe not functionally, but functionality is not why anyone buys mechanical watches.

Yeah SKMEI just make cheap casio knockoffs with their horrible logo on them

At least it's metal, but to be honest I don't think chrome plated brass has any advantages over chrome plated resin.

This watch was released in 1967.
Was this the first (diving) watch to have the round lumed indices WITH shiny metal ring around it?

Rolex for instance only started putting shiny metal rings around the lumed indices of the submariners in the 1980s.

I told you nigga
That is a cool feature though.

Thoughts on the open heart memebino?

What does Sup Forums think of Zenith watches?

Ah well, it was only £7. I'll give it to one of my nieces or nephews if they want a watch.

Open heart watches are fucking disgusting.

Fucking cunts won't even talk to me or acknowledge me. Though I'm not talking to them either.

Well /wt/ I guess I'm back in high-school.

Nice user!

that enamel dial watch somehow look like a 5 dollar chrome-plated watch with a plastic dial.

Functionnally or otherwise.

Brass is a really beautiful metal sought after in most other products but in watches its considered absolute shit and i do understand why its not as desirable for a watch but lets not compare it to injection molded plastic.

kill them, kill them all

what type of lizard is the leather?

No.

Because it's fucking gross when the chrome wears off on the back of the watch and the brass oxidizes from contact with you skin.

chink foreskin

Oh, that's new, right? Never seen open heart bambinos before.
I think it's still too big.
I'll get pic related

Chrome plated brass is still a lot better than plastic.

I think I'm in love maenwatches.com/

- Swiss Made Ronda movement (quartz)
- Sapphire crystal glass
- 316L Stainless steel case
- Sunray brushed dial with polished indicators
- High quality Italian leather strap
- Butterfly clasp
- Screw case back
- Water resistance: 5ATM
- Case diameter: 39mm
- Case thickness: 7,0mm
- Strap width: 20mm
- Moonphase Complication
€269

>quartz
>€269
no

Well?

I don't know what advantages it offers in a cheap digital watch though.

Yes I'm fine, thanks for asking.

watches are fucking gay

Neat fact: If you have a chink Aliexpress Special with an SL68 movement you can replace it with a cheapo Seiko PC21. They're completely interchangeable, even the stem is compatible.

Also I'm at work for four and a half hours now and they haven't looked at me or talked to me all day. Even the girl who wasn't among the cunts who screamed at on Saturday ignores me. I guess I was on the pay no mind list all along, they only interacted with me out of politeness. Fucking hell, I guess actually having friends at my workplace was a big fat lie.

Also I'm starving. I'm so disgusted right now that I refuse to eat anywhere near them.

>I'm poor, the post.
Good

More durable, I guess.

Do you own a chick magnet, /wt/?