Does playing chess make you a better programmer?

does playing chess make you a better programmer?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literate_programming
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Programming makes you a better programmer.

No. Stop asking dumb questions.

Acey-Deucy Backgammon does

Only if you program a bot that plays chess.
Sage

Of course not

The best programmers don't code a lot. Knowing patterns, languages and algorithms makes you better programmer.

Writing a chess program will literally make you a better programmer.

>the best X don't X

Fucking hipster retards.....

This is like saying the best baseball players don't play baseball, or the best drivers don't drive

Do you people love posting retarded shit or do you actually believe it?

No. Backgammon, however...

What about Go?

best strategy game

who is this bitch?

That's so false by every stretch of the imagination. Good programmers in their free time will write up 100 lines of code for some noob on stackoverflow.

There is correlation.

However programming chess robots would make you better programmer more than playing chess.

Obviously, it would have to be 3-D chess

who is this checkered cutie?

You know, it's not quite irrational...

Making killing people a lot doesn't makes you good killer either.

no, the only "programmer" I know that love playing chess is a java code monkey.

Only playing go fish makes you a better programmer

Well it's a good training for things like:
>what am I going to do
Good strategy is better than spaghetti.
>what is the best to do
Good tactics makes elegant code.
>do I have complete overview?
Helps kelping things structured.
>what could happen next?
Prediction prevents bugs.

But why not just learn programming?

Alexandra Botez. That was a fortunate photo.

No. But it does make you a better strategist.

chess is a meme game, it's more about memorization and rote memory of positions/tactics than intelligence and planning

literally been an issue since bobby fischer, go ahead and read about how much he hated that chess was about memorization

if you want to get good at programming just code, if you want to be more intelligent play a game better than chess

If I wanted to condense programming down to a game I would say magic is a better game.
It uses a stack, has documentation, complex rules that can evolve infinitely.
It requires strategy, counting, a love for rules and language.
It requires knowledge about statistics and probability.
It is a fun game many people play around the world, it is a social game and it haven't been solved by an AI yet.

No

The skills/abilities that are related with being good at chess are what also makes you a better programmer. But just playing chess will do nothing to you.

magic is a great game but there's a few problems with it:
- it's WAY WAY WAY too expensive, practically a lifestyle choice if you want to play for real and against good opponents because of how much of a money sink it is
- the community can be downright awful, local players if you're unlucky can be nearly subhuman
- there's no good way to play it online, mtgo is fucking awful and arena is not only not good, I'm in the alpha, but it has a very limited card pool and is looking to be a huge grind since they have to balance out collecting for people who play 12 hours a day every day

honestly I'd recommend other cardgames these days for a good mental game hobby, something like gwent or hopefully artifact

you must be pajeet because pajeets are taught a lot about patterns etc. but when they are actually trying to apply them, they can't.

bridge is patrician tier game, too bad I don't have 4 players for it very often

>cutie
>3d
into the trash it goes

ye I agree, I used to play bridge every sunday with my grandpa, uncle, and dad and it's a god tier game. cool to connect with old generations over that stuff too, whereas videogames and stuff are pretty much only younger people

Playing chess only makes you better at playing chess.

fuck off avatarfag. at least contribute a reason as to why it's bad.

Definitely gives you a different view of chess.
In Go, you are expected to lose your first 100 games as quickly as possible. You can get pretty good from practicing easy life or death problems all day. You are expected to give and take handicaps. There's no such thing as a tie except in the case of triple ko threats. That amazingly contrarian perspective changed my life.

Superior chessfu

Why do women have a separate category in chess tournaments?
Are they too stupid to play with the men?

The funny thing is, excluding """patterns""", there is a very strong correlation between people who code a lot and people who actually know a lot of that stuff. So I would disagree.

fppbpp

>not the superior riichi mahjong

Does reading news papers make you a better writer?

What is riichi? And what are these ultra simpilified characters?

my gf from shanghai says mahjong is seen as something for the lower class/less educated though, is it actually that difficult

Riichi Mahjong has fairly little to do with traditional Chinese Mahjong. They are very different.
Generally speaking Mahjong in all forms is pretty much just a considerably more complex version of Poker. You try to judge what hands to go for and build without dealing into the hands of others, it's all just numbers and weighing the odds in the end.

If you want games that are actually super strategic and don't come down to numbers you should definitely look into both Go and Shogi. Both have absurdly high degrees of mastery that Chess could only dream off.

Big if true.

Why is her king listing to port?

Reading in general has the potential to make you a better writer, yes.

Does a submarine swim?

>Why do women have a separate category in chess tournaments?
>Are they too stupid to play with the men?

The same reason the best "ESport" female is a fucking tranny

The best basketball player imagine himself playing instead of playing for real. It's science, fucktard. When he plays he scores.

15 women hold the GM title, and they practically started to play at tournaments with male players in the 80s. The separate category is for getting more women into chess, which is historically a male-dominated sport. Nothing to do with intelligence.

>- it's WAY WAY WAY too expensive
IIRC there ARE multiplayer "magic" clients that just let you construct a deck out of any arbitrary cards from the ruleset and focus on actual gameplay instead of dumb monetization bullshit.
Of course Hasbro fucking hates them. They want everyone who plays magic on PC to use their own shitty online client that only lets you use a card in a deck if you buy it digitally or prove you own a physical copy.

so is this one :3

Nop, but learn comunication skills as writing,music,painting or pure math will change your way thinking.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literate_programming

Why would they need a separate category if they weren't too stupid to compete against those already in the first?

>for getting more women into chess
Back when the category was made, women didn't really get into professional chess because 99% of players were men and it was pretty uncomfortable.

You can tell who here is really into pro chess and who wants to turn this into yet another men vs women discussion.

>KAN KAN KAN RINSHAN KAIHOU
Sakisan pls.

Huh, she's been streaming chess games on twitch. She's a cutie for sure.

I dunno, but I'm gonna take the Kasparov Master Class regardless.

She already dead

Wrong chess cutie.

This is true. Pajeets learn a lot about algorithms and patterns, but they never need/use them or apply them properly. It's why they're pretty great at mathematics, but are absolutely awful at programming.

Jesus. Look at that pic.
1. Look at that slanted king. Inferior quality control. I would smash that piece of shit king to shards and refuse to play until a proper substitute that meets my standards is produced.
2.The French Defense. Really? It is a sign fear and lack of confidence. Just look at her face. She already regrets her opening decision just two moves in.

Normie alert. You possibly read an article on Buzzfeed about exercises or activities which improve intelligence, or what things playing chess improves.

But no, chess doesn't make you a better programmer, because it is open ended, while programs obey a logical and finite sequence. Strategywise, I don't think you can draw useful parallels between chess and programming or even program management.

>working your brain does not make it perform better
Found the brainlet

>Of course Hasbro fucking hates them. They want everyone who plays magic on PC to use their own shitty online client
jej Konami did the same shit with yugioh to the point of getting websites taken down cause their client was miles ahead of the official one. The unofficial client is still getting developed and you just gotta go to IRC to download it.
Konami gave up and came up with some mobile game where your deck is half the normal size and it takes less time to play a match.

Chess is overrated, it's not 1700 anymore.

>no such thing as a tie except in the case of triple ko threats
>he doesn't use a superko rule

xmage is opensource and you can play online for free and it works great on linux.
In paper, it is expensive ($10 for draft, $100 for standard, $1000 for modern and $20000 for vintage) and if you want multiple decks in each catagory, you will ruin yourself really fast.

>Being good at programming competitions correlates negatively with being good on the job

Does as much as striped kneesocks.

u gay

>Chess is overrated, it's not 1700 anymore.
I disagree, my R7 1700 is still pretty gud

>Pajeets are good at math
You made me chuckle
t. Ashkenazi

Chess is for pseudos.

No. However, people who have a greater capacity for talent at chess almost certainly have a greater capacity for talent at programming.

Jews suck at math, what's your point?