/og/ OpenSUSE General

/og/ OpenSUSE General: In /og/, we discuss about the OpenSUSE GNU/Linux operating system. opensuse.org

Other urls found in this thread:

opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php
en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Managing_Systemd
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd-timesyncd
software.opensuse.org/package/MozillaFirefox
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/force-1080p-netflix/
mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/
opensuse-community.org/index.html
software.opensuse.org/distributions/tumbleweed/unsupported
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Maybe you can put a tutorial in the OP about how to get multimedia codecs properly running. I think it would help newbies a lot. Is not a first good impression when you install your OS and it can't play your .mkv videos.

opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php
One click, and it adds pacman repo and magic happens

Step 1. Get Gecko

Did anyone have trouble installing the proprietary NVidia drivers on Leap 42.3? I'm using the NVidia Repo, have a GTX 730, and when I'm installing the module I get a bunch of error messages saying that the modules need unkown symbols:

depmod: WARNING: /lib/modules/4.4.76-1-default/updates/nvidia-uvm.ko needs unknown symbol __x86_indirect_thunk_rdx

Running dmesg after trying to modprobe the nvidia module shows similar error messages. Does anyone have this problem or know how to solve it?

>Does anyone have this problem
no
>know how to solve it?
i don't.

how do i make the opensuse install not bloated as shit and why does it always want me to install a million fuckin packages(games etc.) that i dont need everytime i want to upgrade

gecko linux

Update kernel if possible, then try installing driver from nvidia site as *rpm
Impossible, this shit is bloated from box, and you can't do anything about it.

installing fcitx for japanese/chinese

>tumbleweed
just werks

>gecko (leap 43)
can't type anything

>OpenSUSE is probably the only distro in the world that pre-installs the fix for browser filechooser shit know to every imageboard regular
>Gecko strips it away
Tubular.

Start with a JE OS, don't install any patterns and then turn off recommends in zypp.conf once you're at the terminal.

But you can't remove shit by yourself in yast, due to bizarre dependencies on packages.
Maybe I should try installing console and then rising it?

This.

Why remove it? Didn't the gecko dev literally say that nothing other than package management and proprietary codecs/drivers availability is different?

>systemd-timesyncd[926]: Synchronized to time server 216.239.35.8:123 (time3.google.com).
t-thanks

Can be removed and replaced with system V init.

en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Managing_Systemd

Can you do this on the rolling release version?

The only way to stop opensuse from phoning google on boot is to uninstalling systemd? Is that feature really that deeply hardcoded into it?

Screenshots during installation that show this.
1/2

Or just change the server it syncs with:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd-timesyncd

Or just disable the service.

2/2

Haven't tried it, wiki says "Do so with great care as it may render system unbootable", last revision on article done in 2015. YMMV.

Have had openSUSE as my first Linux system for about 3 weeks now. Slowly getting the hang of it.

Firefox is slow as fuck though. Netflix is a pain to use because the site needs too long to react to mouse hovers and the like.
Youtube will load videos, take a second to go to fullscreen after I double click and then exit the fullscreen a few seconds later, once the rest of the site has loaded.

I installed the Nvidia proprietary driver.

Any ideas? This cant be normal firefox speed

Probably running Firefox ESR as is default, try this one: software.opensuse.org/package/MozillaFirefox

hardware acceleration on or not?

To add, Firefox can only do 720p in Netflix, an addon was made to force 1080p: addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/force-1080p-netflix/

see:

I'll try that right away

I would hope so. How do I check/activate?

Nice, will check that out immediately.
I am somewhat disappointed in myself for not noticing yet.

which version is on tumbleweed?

you need to unsubscribe from the patterns that mark those packages as essential. if your opensuse install is bloated, you have only yourself to blame

openSUSE isn't made for desktop computing. Use Gecko instead.

>Gecko
Take your hipster shit distros out here nigger.

this is much better, thanks user

The link installs ESR as well though.
Found a current version here:
mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

See that little "show other versions" under the big green button? Click it.

Welcome!
I'd recommend using the repository version of openSUSE.

What he said, it will show the Leap (most stable versions) only until you open up "show other versions".

nice tits

this is a damn lie

>openSUSE isn't made for retards that can't install codecs themselves or use an easy font-rendering fix

i think that's what you meant to say

people made fun about kde while turning gnome et al to shit. kde back on top!

here are some notes i made over recent installations for opensuse (mostly tumbleweed).

# enabling codecs
- opensuse-community.org/index.html
> KDE codecs via 1-click
> Ok > Next > Next > Yes > Ok
- should install ffmpeg gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-libav gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-ugly-orig-addon k3b-codecs lame libdvdcss2
- Key 1:
ID: 45A1D0671ABD1AFB
Name: PackMan Project (signing key)
Fingerprint: F887 5B88 0D51 8B6B 8C53 0D13 45A1 D067 1ABD 1AFB
Created: 09/16/14
Expires: 09/13/24
> Trust
- Key 2:
ID: B2F796E76867F5BE
Name: Martin Schlander (cb400f)
Fingerprint: BB43 B333 6DDF 49C5 C5A6 3613 B2F7 96E7 6867 F5BE
Created: 03/09/11
Expires: Never
> Trust
(Warnings and Conflict Resolution:
> Try: 1 -> packman
or: 2 -> packman)
- trust key, confim vendor change for new version
- Start YaST > View > Repositories > Click Packman > Click Switch System Packages > Accept
(more vendor changes to packman)
(error: k3b-codecs could not be installed)

Was actually thinking about giving OpenSUSE a shot. Just quick dip from the Debian. What am I in for?

Just did install + update in VM.
Firefox Quantum, v58..1

Btrfs,
Snapshots,
Yast GUI for system configuration,
Smaller repos,
Stable KDE
Leap is stable, Tumbleweed is rolling.

forgot to mention openQA testing so those repos have a lot fewer bugs. no other distro has this, to my knowledge

and the ability to choose during install which packages you actually want

and BTRFS is optional

You can't go from over 4 gigs to 1.5 without something being different.

How well OpenSUSE fares as a entry distro for a Linux pleb?

So you admit it's not desktop ready. Installing codecs, drivers and proprietary software shouldn't be an issue. openSUSE is without a doubt a "professional use" distro. There's a lot more bullshit in it than "muh codecs and font". The only great thing about SUSE is YaST.

OK, I doubt it would be the first recommendation though. Leap prides itself on stability and it really is one of the most crash-free systems you'll ever use. In terms of user friendliness it doesn't go as far out of its way as Ubuntu and its flock, but nothing you can't handle. Its installer is very reliable at setting up a Windows dual boot without needing you to manually partition.

But openSUSE includes 2 desktop environments. They also make it 4.7GB on purpose since they're adding a lot of common software for offline installation. They could just as easily remove that since it's not useful for most users with an internet connection, bringing down the size to less than 4GB.

It's not bad, but does have it's headaches. That's the reason some people prefer Gecko Linux. Although as an entry distro I'd recommend Solus or Zorin Lite.

Ok, the real reason for filechooser fix being absent in gecko is probably that it's a part of suse's KDE defaults, while gecko goes out of the way to prepare its own configs for every desktop. Which for the KDE version just happen to be worse.

Whatever you try ignore dualboot fags and use a virtual machine for your first few distros. No reason to fuck with boot records and you get both OS available at the same time. Dual-booting is for old, very slow machines which cannot run VMs. I mean slower than a T61 which is ancient.

is there a live image of this? I tried the one from the official site and when booted it forced me to install it in order to try it.

SUSE is the best KDE distro imho (I find it surprising that even Neon isn't better). Though I never tried KDE Gecko so honestly I didn't know it's removed. That's a shame.

I think only tumbleweed supports LiveUSB, but you can't install it. software.opensuse.org/distributions/tumbleweed/unsupported

>Leap is stable, Tumbleweed is rolling.
Rolling does not imply unstable. You can have stable and rolling like gentoo is for example. Tumbleweed however is unstable as fuck and shouldn't even be advertised for general use as it makes the whole brand look bad.