Is there a reason printers are such dogshit?

Is there a reason printers are such dogshit?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/121351481117
ebay.com/itm//263393774997
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Made Cheap. The ink costs more than some of them anymore. Lexmark is the worst. My HP all in one from 2006 is still kicking (HP still makes ink for it). Sucker still prints/scans/copies smooth as butter.

explain further
how are they dogshit?

>break constantly
>almost impossible to repair
>drivers never werk
>ink cartridges "empty" when they're not
>can only replace with specific cartridges
generalisations of course

Planned obsolescence, max. 2 years, cheap shit you can buy any time, while the cartridges are sold for jew prices.

>breaks constantly
Stop buying chink shit, buy something from a respectable brand like brother or xerox.
>impossible to repair
For you sure for others no. Printers are all made with the same parts almost like a computers diagnosis problems are very straight forward. Learn some circuitry to help you fix problems it will help you in the long run
>drivers never work
Read answer 1
>ink cartridges empty
Read answer 1
>can only replace specific cartridges
Buy ink instead of new cartridges and just fill them up yourself

To reduce the cost on the long run look at how much your printing and calculate will it be cheaper and efficient to get a CIS or a laser printer. CIS down side is the ink will dry while as laser printers are more expensive but use toner instead of ink and last much longer.

You didn't buy a HP or Brother.

My Brother laser printer is pretty nice, only prints in black but why do you need more than that.

Xpost from other thread
Blame faggots who wanted cheap printers, instead of paying $500-600 for printers. If all these "I wanna print photos my digital camera took, for prices cheaper than I paid for my digital camera" assholes didn't creep up in the 90's, we wouldn't have shitty, trash, inkjet printers. We wouldn't have disposable systems selling for $90 when they really should cost several hundreds more.

Consumer laser printers are getting this way too, with waste toner reservoirs built into the drum assemblies and the inability to clear the parts history/counter preventing you from continuing to use a drum that is still perfectly serviceable because "it's reached maximum service life" after 10000 pages, despite still holding a charge just fine, and still providing clean prints. I wish Kyocera sold their shit openly, instead of through dealerships, because their printers are so easy to take care of, and they don't give a shit if your part is over life. "Oh, this drum is still printing good at 1 mil+, despite the 600k life span? Keep using it."

Is the counter built into the toners or the printers ? If its in the printer isn't it possible to change it using custom firmware ?

Buy a networked laser printer that speaks PostScript. "Printer drivers" exist because that costs money and chinks could use fewer chips by cramming logic into the Windows driver.

Im using a dell laser printer i got off craigslist for 20$ because it said "low toner". I printed 200 pages before it actually ran out then i bought a toner refill kit for 7$. In the 3 years ive had it, its jammed only a few times with no other issues.

Try to buy a litre of ink
It will cost you in the region of $6000 USD
Printer cartridges can hold so little ink that you
do not pay for the printer, effectively you get that for the cost of manufacture+shipping. The ink is what you are paying for

>Try to buy a litre of ink
>It will cost you in the region of $6000 USD

ebay.com/itm/121351481117

Ink is dirt cheap, only reason ink cartridges are so high is because of the insane profit margin on them, the ink inside is worth pennies

that ink is full of shit
I mean real ink like undiluted ink
Ink that hasnt had some Nigerian urinating into it and selling it on

Cheap printers are. Spend a bit to get a halfway decent one and most of your problems evaporate.

Also, avoid inkjet unless you seriously need to print photos on glossy paper a lot.

HP's ink prices are so high it's worth more than human blood.

Ok if you want proper branded pigment ink 1 liter is still only $44 which is still a fucking far cry from $6000
ebay.com/itm//263393774997

ok but doesn't explain how they're dogshit. they are cheap and they get the job done, what else do you want?

Is there any printing tech that let's me print once in a couple of months without breaking from not being used enough? Inkjet and laser both have this problem.

>normie elderly friends need help installing a new HP AIO printer
>Beautiful, WIFI enabled, color touch screen, the works
>shit weights 3 pounds
>install 400mb of fucking (((printer drivers)))
>to make matters worse, Windows 10
>25 fucking minutes later, finally installed
>try to test print a simple text file
>ERROR 'Authentication Failure'
>dig through pages of "help' files laced with ads

tl;dr- the printer would not print unless it was registered with a valid email address that is then bound to the serial number of the printer itself. the printer also has an embedded email address [ser#@hp.com] to communicate with HP servers. when you swap out an ink cartridge, you get a popup offering 'Rewards' and special deals.

Take good care of your old printer user.

Inkjet printers are SHIT
You want a laser printer.

Just replaced a cheap HP laserjet at work that 330,000 plus pages printed from it.

>they get the job done
That's the thing; they don't, not reliably enough.

A store

I have a cheap €100 Samsung black and white laser.
It works.

Inkjets are garbage. Laser color printer is miles ahead.

I wish there were other prominent printer technology.

Still using my $50 Samsung ML1640 B&W Laser from a decade ago. Only had to buy one toner cartridge just last year at $40, good for another 9 years now.

My dad still has his HP Laserjet IIIP that he pillaged from work when they "upgraded" as well as a few toner cartridges he got too.

Inkjets are pieces of shit. Laser printers from good companies are good.

He buys $50-100 printers.

There are, but they have issues with practicality and are really only good for black and white.

Dot matrix takes ages and has low print quality compared to laser and inkjet, besides making a shitload of noise. Thermal also doesn't look great, requires specific paper that's pretty fragile, and fades easily.

step aside fagets

What about that wax shit? Prints fast and makes some damn good looking papers.

Of all the printers I've ever had to deal with, I hated those the least. Until some bimbo wedged the wrong ink into the wrong slots, but that was user error.

1 word
M O N O P O L Y

Apparently they have some problems. They need to stay warmed up, which chews through power, if they cool down it takes a while to warm up again and it screws the print quality, if you move the printer while it's warmed up i spills liquid wax all over its innards, etc. Dunno how much the wax costs, but I imagine it's not too cheap.

Good printers exist. They are just expensive as hell. That 30-100 dollar printer you are showing there is a cheap piece of shit, sold for less than it costs to make. They are banking on ink making up the losses.

Use a toner printer, and you won't regret it.

B&W Brother HL-2040 got me through college, still running strong 6 years, post graduation. I think I've spent, in total, $150 on it over the last ten years because knockoff cartridges just werk. If it ever breaks, I'm buying another one!

>don't have any printer for 15 years because of all the associated bullshit
>on rare occasions I need prints I just hit up the library
>check local Goodwill one day and find pic related for $15
>buy third party toner/drum for $40 total
>despite being 10 years old it just werks
>even Windows had built in drivers for it

How can one company be so based? Also, to my surprise, the feeder scanner, duplex printer, and fax machine have all come in handy for me.

The concept of printers hasn't changed in 50 years
they've been shitty belt scrolling inkjets since day one
what we need is a real revolution, thinking outside the box yaknow

That sounds worse than fiddling with the devil's dick.

Planned obsolescence.
You can make a printer literally last for 30 years and have parts that wear out be easily replaceable. But then how would the companies sell you more printers?
The worse thing is the complete lack of serviceability. Either some parts are not made, or you have to buy a whole subassembly of parts that cost 2 times your printer to fix it.
Imagine owning a desktop computer and the HDD breaks down, and you have to buy a new mobo.

>>don't have any printer for 15 years because of all the associated bullshit
>>on rare occasions I need prints I just hit up the library
Are you me?

This.

School printer (I teach elementary) prints 6 pages per minute. My Bro at home prints about 20.

The counters are usually 2 part.
The assemblies have eeprom memory that stores values handed to them from the firmware about how much they've been used, and the machines themselves have a memory of how much that part number has been used. I can take a drum from one machine to another, and the "count" on it follows with it.

Nobody really does solid ink systems anymore. There were too many problems.
Sometimes up to 10-15 minutes to first print times, otherwise, enjoy your 50w sleep mode. Couldn't laminate the prints, ink would smear at high ambient temperatures (such as outside on a sunny day), and shit got clogged like a motherfucker. That, plus non-mobile print heads, meant that you got lines you had to replace the whole printhead assembly to fix.

>Online sign-up for a fucking printer
I want back to 2006

what's a good budget printer for home use.
finished college already so there's no heavy duty priting anymore, just the occasional document, literally once in a blue moon and a couple of pages at most.

retired one perfectly good hp, from 2008 or thereabouts, because buying a brand new epson was cheaper than changing the hp cartridges.

That brand new epson is shit, it went through one fucking entire cartridge to test the print, align and clean, I was simply testing. Now on 2nd of each of the 4 cartridges, I realized that there's some fuckery with the ink level sensors, it prints fine but it always alerts to the fact that there's no ink, when I know that there is -- I haven't printed even 20 pages including the align tests and I won't ever clean it anymore, as there's some serious fuckery there.

tl;dr
hp is too expensive
epson is too shit

what get? budget, home office. seldom use.
canon?

just to let anons know the extent of the fuckery:
brand new printer
instal it
test print
smudgy and clearly unaligned
print 2 pages for the self alignment
print 1 page of self cleaning maintenance
warning: y-you're out of ink user

I didn't even finish the alignnment
it's still smudgy.
figured the first charge of ink was like a car out of the dealer, kinda just enough to get to the nearest gas station.
buy a full set of 4 cartridges, np
run the maintenance cleaning first
warning: your out of ink.

wtf.
i'm printing subpar pages, no more smudges though, because I'm a little scared of properly setting it up.

after that, printed some 20 to 30 pages at the most.
always the same fucking warning, it's nothing but it's a bit aggravating.

and I can't run the alignment maint because the pop up won't let me run it because it's saying that I'm out of ink.

They are made super cheap, because they make money from you by selling ink.

Laser printers are somewhat better. Inkjets are always a pain in the ass, because ink dries out, prints slowly*. Good inkjets cost nearly as much, as color laser.

Why not to fill printer with blood? Blood is like free.

what about Xerox wax based printers? I see they use a shit ton of electricity, are there any other issues?

> a reason
They went with the razor principle, give away the razor for free and make it back on the blades. Ink printers are pure garbage. They dirt cheap to buy and cost you a ton of money over time.

Some general advice: Don't buy ink printers. Just don't. Get a black and white laser printer. Go to the drugstore or a local print shop or a online printing service for photos. Those few color-prints you need will be a lot cheaper and look a whole lot better. A black and white laser printer will easily last years on a single toner.

Buy ink and re-fill the cartridges, eh? What a mess. Just go with a laserprinter..

HP ink printers are garbage and the ink is overpriced. They used to make great laserprinters but it's been a decade since I used a HP printer so I don't know what they are like today.

>Imagine owning a desktop computer and the HDD breaks down, and you have to buy a new mobo.
I realize your example used to be great but modern Macbooks and a few other computers have both RAM and SSD soldered onto the motherboard. I guess that's great for data recovery services.. if a fuse or something on your motherboard goes then that's it for all your data.

Too much griping and not enough actual model recommendations itt. Need a solid b&w laser printer for home. Ideally available new and first hand. Ideally in $200 range. Any suggestions?

Stop lying.
Laser printers don't have that problem.

Last time I checked, you had to use them x every x-while for them to operate normally. If I am wrong, please prove me wrong.

Brother laser printers are the only consumer grade printers worth buying. Not sure about professional grade if that is what you are after. Probably Brother in that case as well.

Brother

>For you sure for others no. Printers are all made with the same parts almost like a computers diagnosis problems are very straight forward. Learn some circuitry to help you fix problems it will help you in the

Average Sup Forums user can write FizzBuzz codes but dont know what is a transistor or soldering irons, you cant expect they fix a printer

Well you can come live with me for a decade if you want some proof. You could also do some research on your own I guess. It's a well known fact that laser printers don't stop working like inkjets that clog. If you expect me to be your secretary and look the info up to provide a link you'll need to suck my dick first.

Because you are using Canon. Epson (laser and inkjets) are better, and have 80ml ink bottles

Have you gone 6 months or more without using it once?

You're wrong. Laser printer toner cartridges don't "try up", why would they when there's powder in them?

I don't print that much. I've used the same laser printer since 2004 or something like that, it was good enough for a black and white page then and it still is. The only big issue with this laser printer is that they no longer sell toners for it - which means that I'll have to replace it. My trusty printer has always worked just fine every time I've needed it. 3 months or half a year since I last used it? It doesn't matter, I turn it on and the computer sees it and I print and the result is as perfect as when I bought it.

I'm not saying there can't be some laser printer out there that needs some kind of regular maintenance. I've never seen or heard of one but I haven't seen them all so I won't rule it out. It just seems odd because ink will by nature dry out and powder won't.

Sounds good, I guess the stuff I read about when I was researching this was made by shills.

Which laser printer brand has most readily available cheapest toners? Also is it best if toner and collector are in one cartridge or if they're separate?

Wtf is a LED printer?

Can someone recommend me a laser printer that is small and durable without fancy shit and cheap? The toner shouldn't we special so that it's easy to buy cheap replacements.Q

LED printer is laser printer, but instead of laser LED is used.

>Is there a reason printers are such dogshit?
Because Xerox doesnt own the market completely, and people are still retarded enough to think a $100 isnt going to be garbage.

My solid ink printer has been working fine for 5 years now on the pack of ink that came with it, and it looks incredible next to that ink jet and cheap laser garbage.

Is it more durable? Or does it just use less energy?

>Is it more durable?
I Don't know. I saw like 20 years old lasers and LEDs...
>Or does it just use less energy?
Main consumer of electricity is heater in those printers, so I think no.
I guess LEDs can be made slightly smaller...

Printer salesman here, the compact Brother inkjets (J480, J885, J985) are pretty reliable and the 985 is the only inkjet printer I know of that actually comes with full-capacity cartridges in the box.

also do not fall for the Epson Ecotank meme, those things are based on Epson's cheapest printer chassis and sold at an insane markup.

Why would anyone go for memejet?

>The ink costs more than some of them anymore
I use a monochromatic laser printer, ink is some €10. Works just fine and I only ever print text so

Recently bought a second hand office grade all-in-one laser printer/scanner/copier with spare toner and extra paper tray for 50 euro's.

Works great and very solid build.

Why people buy consumerist garbage is beyond me.

So if i want a printer that will last and lets me refill it with cheap ink i get a Brother printer?

Cheap printers are absolute garbage. Any half decent printer will cost at least $200-300.

>consumerist
Nice buzzword buddy