Studying for CCENT/CCNA

I was wondering about CCENT and CCNA tests and studying. To the people that have it, which studying methods worked best for you? Did you buy physical switches and what not to help study or did you use some sort of simulator?

To the people who don't have the cert, how are you studying and how is it going? I just got my books in and I am on chapter 6 now but I guess its going to get into the nitty gritty interface stuff. I don't have a simulator or the physical equipment. I guess I am trying to figure out which route to go. Or maybe it doesn't matter as much?

I am mostly trying to get this cert to progress my career. I am just a lowly computer tech right now. nothing special. I am 27 though and feel old as fuck. Live in a studio apartment. Just trying to make something better outta my life and hoping this cert would help. Will it? I feel old as fuck now.

CCNA uses Packet Tracer for most activities since it's really easy to setup, however, it doesn't let you choose a custom image for the switches, router, etc.
GNS3 solves that problem, by simulating the hardware via VMs.

I never heard of GNS3. I will look into it. Is it any good in your opinion? Also, whats the price tag?

ALso, If I were in the market for real equipment. What would I even be looking for? Like what would be a good "starter" kit for practicing?

>Did you buy physical switches and what not to help study or did you use some sort of simulator?
>To the people who don't have the cert, how are you studying and how is it going?
My uni provides good equipment to play around which is good considering I've heard bad things about other institutions.
Like said, Packet Tracer is also good to practice Cisco stuff.

is packet tracer good enough by itself to help with CCNA in its entirety?

It depends on how you're going to get tested on. If it's with real switches and routers then it would be best if you somehow at least familiarized yourself with the real gear. Packet Tracer is a good representation of networking but it's still more or less theoretical. You should be confident enough configure switches and routers irl.

I'll just add that It's not really difficult.

I see. Any idea on what kind of equipment would be best? I was looking at some cisco catalyst 3550's which I thought was in the right avenue of things. I just want equipment that isn't too dated I guess. I am however looking for a decent set of gear that isn't too pricey but would give me what I need to practice. Not trying to set up a big network or something. Just want enough to round out the practice.

You mean the test itself isn't that difficult?

The test is hard as fuck and adaptive, so if you fuck something up it keeps throwing you questions about that topic. I got fucked on something relating to DSL i don't even remember but that cost me just the CCNA cert.
Don't bother with real equipment. Packet tracer works perfectly although it's a little hard to get used to.

is packet tracer available to individuals or is it academy students only? Also, tell me more about the test? I know it varies in each test location probably but what was it like in terms of length and just how extreme was the difficulty? How long did you study for before you took it?

You can just register as academy student to download. Or get it from other site. Packet tracer is good enough even for CCNP.

GNS itself is free, but you’ll have to get ios images on your own.

Got my CCENT a few months ago. It was a 50 question multiple choice quiz for me with a few simulation questions that operated similar to PT except it restricted the commands you could use. I passed by only like 2 correct answers. If you get a writing board, sheet of paper, etc USE IT. In my quiz I couldn't go back after marking an answer so if there's a piece of context information that might be useful later you want to write it down. Getting ready for the CCNA with MeasureUp's online exams. You have to pay a pretty high price for it (110 bucks for 2 months' access) but it's definitely helped a fair bit

For ICND1 I used the Lammle book and put the practice questions into Anki. I also make questions myself.
For ICND2 I still used the Lammle book and Anki but since I am not so confident I also read the official one. However Boson practice exam is what makes me passed the exam.
Packet tracer is sufficient for CCNA. Good luck!

Ie search your fav site for "Cisco ios" and see what happens, maybe download them peer to peer?

I've got a bunch of Cisco equipment, but I don't really use it.
Maybe once I can get my UPS working and I start moving all my servers and those routers and switches in I'll mess with it more.

Although talking about UPSes anyone ever taken apart an old APC UPS?
It's a SU3000RMNET 5u 3000VA unit, but it just runs the fans for a bit then turns off. and pressing the power button plugged in does nothing.

physical equipment is good because it's harder to cheat and vomit out a new virtual router/switch when you messed up the config and don't feel like troubleshooting
at $20-30 the prices aren't that bad

but it's not needed for ccna level at all, and even ccnp level you don't necessarily need it for the cert, but it's probably good to have a home lab to practice ideas and figure out why something doesn't work, or if something else would work

>To the people who don't have the cert, how are you studying and how is it going?
I'm just watching the video course ICND1 Review Lab. There is software that can emulate routers and switches, pic related.

sfree dot ws