/csg/ - Computer science general

/csg/ - Computer science General

>What is theoretical computer science?
Computer science covers a wide variety of topics including algorithms, data structures, computational complexity, parallel and distributed computation, probabilistic computation, quantum computation, automata theory, information theory, cryptography, program semantics and verification, machine learning, computational biology, computational economics, computational geometry, and computational number theory and algebra.

>Where to start
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda_calculus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_complexity
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_complexity_theory
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_automaton
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptography
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neural_network
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_machine

>Can this help me get a job?
No.

Other urls found in this thread:

Sup
qchat.rizon.net/?channels=/csg/
discord.gg/bUJ3VGM
chinkshit.xyz/random/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general
chinkshit.xyz/infographic.pdf
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_launch_redmi_note_5_and_redmi_note_5_pro-news-29606.php
youtube.com/watch?v=6A3xLOMk1nA
ist.tugraz.at/cb15.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How to compiler design pls

Appel

formulate a formal language then build a compiler (tool, program) that:
analyze the tokens/words of that language. if its part of its grammar then ok, if not, then do not compile it.
next part, analyze what that words mean and if it does mean something. if it means nothing then do not compile it.
final part translate each possible block into assembly code and let a assembler turn that into 0s and 1s.

see install gentoo wiki

>>Where to start
>wikipedia

HAHAHAHAHAHA, no. Daily reminder that learning ~of~ things counts for nothing if you don't have a ~working~ knowledge of them.

Yeah nah, you better think of another abbreviation for your shitty thread nigger
/csg/ has been in use for years

>>Where to start
You're not going to learn anything if you don't read books and solve exercises.
Sup Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
Sup Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics#Combinatorics_and_Graph_Theory

Good sources for programming challenges and ideas for projects?

can't wait to order my redmi note 5 pro lads

waiting for my xiaomi mi a1

what to expect

wtf brainlet chinkshit desu

Any chink putt plugs that don't give me aids and/or cancer?

how do I make ascii art

Can I get a job with a Software Engineering degree or is a CS degree better? Not really a huge fan of math.

/csg/ is already the chink shit general you fucking retard

If you dislike math you might want to reconsider studying programming related degrees. But definitely dont go for CS, seeing as it is a lot of math, and the programming that you do, do is also related to math.
A software development/"engineering" bachelor might work for you, that is if you're using engineering in a non European way, where it is not an actual engineering degree :)
Don't despair over my message, but do read some of the maths from the curriculum you're interested in to tell.

>Not really a huge fan of math.
>CS degree
Why would you study a sub field of math?

>chinkshit redirects here
fucking retard

dragon book

>>Can this help me get a job?
>No.

Are you retarded?

/csg/ is already chink shit general.
Fuck off.

A lot of CS curriculum don't even have that much math, usually it's just calc 1, 2, maybe 3, linear algebra, discrete math, stats, and possibly differential equations, but most of those are pretty practical, and knowing linear algebra and discrete math is pretty important if you want more advanced programming jobs. Calc is too but for very specific fields, where as linear algebra and discrete math is very common with having to use matrices, and graphs, combinatorics, etc.

You can generally avoid the more "math" cs courses like computational complexity, knowing basic Big O notation and the basic complexity classes like P, and NP is useful and usually taught in algorithm courses first anyways. Reductions is kind of useful to know, but not really that applicable to software eng, and the harder complexity classes are so damn theoretical they basically have no application to real programming.

original /csg/ is the better /csg/, pls find a new name for a general

So what are the main differences between a SE degree and a CS degree?

The fuck is my chink shit?

redmi note 5 pro is out, post /csg/ thoughts.

>So what are the main differences between a SE degree and a CS degree?
I would recommend that you read through a few descriptions of these degrees for Universities you will try to get into.

Generally software engineering is about creating software, learning the tools and methods needed to develop and maintain software.

Computer science is about understanding how a computer works, how it operates, what it can calculate and how.
Of course you will still need to write software in a CS degree, but you will have to learn things hat have no application in the writing of software.

OP forgot these

In /csg/, we discuss the cheap shit you see on Gearbest, Taobao, AliExpress, Banggood, eBay and similar sites.

>IRC channel
qchat.rizon.net/?channels=/csg/
#/csg/ on rizon

>Discord link
discord.gg/bUJ3VGM

>Chink Shit Randomiser
chinkshit.xyz/random/

>Chink Shit Wiki
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general

>Chink Shit Infographic
chinkshit.xyz/infographic.pdf

Starting now until at least 23 February a lot of Chinese stores will not be shipping out orders over Chinese New Year

>News
• user got a Rotring knockoff →
• user received his pre-modded 771 Xeon
• user tries a chink loupe he got off DealExtreme →
• user finds AliExpress listing for two ATX PSU's strapped together →
• user posts review of the Zealot S1 BT Speaker →
• user posts webm unboxing foam throw airplane →
• user gets a slingshot →
• user got a BT Amp for his speakers →

>Old News
• user gets chinked on a cable
• user falls in love with a seller on Ali's live chat
• user reee's at Geekbuying
• user learns the hard way
• user gets a stabby
• user is building a flamethrower
• user's package is dismantled
• user purchases some poopstoppers for his "gf"
• user is now a true Nazi
• user got a hard drive caddy
• You faggots argue over pens →
• user orders an iPhone X clone for some fucking reason

Previous thread

The names are misleading and differ from university to university, but a true CS degree has a theoretical aspect with more maths. But also stuff like compiler theory and computer systems. You could say software development is a subset of computer science.
Software * degrees tend to have focus on building large systems that last for many years - ie. developing software, architechting a system.
This is only what I have gathered here where I live. You need to research this for your specific universities! Don't take my word for it but use it as a base for finding information.

is this thread conmputer or chick shit general?

based regularop

It is a thread by a RETARDED OP.

Get over your fucking self. Next thread OP probably wont be stupid enough to use csg.

Software engineering is literally about building software, the full process from design, to programming, and documentation, also business side things like requirements engineering, etc.

Computer Science isn't about building software at all, it's about things like the space/time complexity of algorithms(this one goes fucking deep as shit, I took a graduate level computational complexity course and it was seriously the hardest class I've ever taken), other things like grammars which is used by compilers and natural language processing, computer graphics, verification which is proving algos are correct or not, AI and everything in that field like machine learning/neural nets.

A lot of it can be seriously theoretical and have not very much impact in the real world, but there is a lot that's going to be needed by higher level software engineering jobs that do more advanced work.

If you take CS at most schools you will learn a bunch about software engineering since schools usually want their people employable so they look good to work places and then get more students.

where to get redmi note 5 pro

was it officially announced already ?

>Cheat shit general
>Comp sci general

Same shit.

yes, pajeets reviews are out on youtube already

>Not really a huge fan of math

Save yourself the money and apply to McD today.

Why haven't you guys solved p=np yet

Yeah
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_launch_redmi_note_5_and_redmi_note_5_pro-news-29606.php

I am and both seem to characterize it well, but to add on to the last guy software degrees will also have _some_ CS, especially made available with electives.
You need to figure out if you like the maths, I went for a software degree and dropped out after first semester bc. it Was literally just preparation for maintaining software systems like the last guy wrote. I found this boring. Before going into uni I did not think I particularly likes maths, afterwards I now am certain I like maths.

youtube.com/watch?v=6A3xLOMk1nA

>sub field of math

No more so than chemistry or biology

We also had business related courses. They were really boring but undeniably very applicable to the real world, ie. how to present your software system to a tech illiterate boss

What part of "rigorous" CS isn't mathematics.
Should the book you posted give me a hint, since I am pretty certain that discrete mathematics was around longer then computer, by a few hundred years.

yeah this is true, SE and CS are technically not tied together, but in reality you'll pick up both doing either which is why most CS students go into software engineering, there aren't really "computer science" jobs besides getting a phd and doing research.

You guys don't waste your time learning PL and compiler theory please
Also I did it for 2 years
Spend your time learning web (back and front) :)

uhmmmm, you guys are very offtopic here

>uhmmmm, you guys are very offtopic here
this is /csg/ not /csg/, try again sweety.

but this is csg

So career wise SE might be better?

will this get Lineage OS?

Exactly.

tanks

Would buy, but found out it still has microusb instead of type c

when xiaomi release their kernel sources, so in like 9 to 12 months

well, pajeets like this phone, it might get one faster than expected

Literally nobody gives an actual shit

well, quickcharge is disabled on the default miui rom, imma wait for lineage to enable it I guess

Quick charge degrades the battery, it's a retarded meme

In Denmark, where I live, CS is paying higher and has very, very high employment. Software development (engineer is a protected title in Denmark) also has very, very high employment, but if you look at statistics at least, their pay is a good bit lower. This might be because CS is a much older degree and there are many more people with say 15+ years of experience relative to people with only little experience. Or it might be because CS skills pay better, I don't know. CS majors will be taking developer and consulting jobs just like software majors, but their skillset and therefore presumeably job descriptions might differ. Again, I don't know for certain.

Nice meme

ehhh, not really

>What part of "rigorous" CS isn't mathematics.

Just because you use set notation and logical qualifiers doesn't make it math.

>>Should the book you posted give me a hint, since I am pretty certain that discrete mathematics was around longer then computer, by a few hundred years.
>>pretty certain

Can't be that certain if you're speaking totally out of your ass. Pick up and read a history of math book ffs. The majority** of combinatorics, graph theory, mathematical logic, linear algebra, modern algebra, information theory, coding theory, modern cryptography, numerical analysis, automata theory, complexity theory, recursion theory, etc were invented in the 20th century. Set theory, analysis, number theory, modern geometry were built up over the 19th and 20th century. Most of mathematics we learn and use today is a very recent development.

**beside a very tiny handful of precursor topics like Euler's path and binomials.

>where to start
>first link is lambda calculus
LMFAO Lisp shills are so dumb.

>mfw I kind of know the maths behind say neural networks
>but have no idea how to code one for a particular problem
I spent an improportionate amount of time reading the books and no time coding stuff

get out computer science fags, this is csg

>Computer science is about understanding how a computer works, how it operates, what it can calculate and how.
No, that's CpE.

What do you expect of CS majors?

so where does the note 5 pro put the mi a1 ?

in the trash.
once note 5 pro gets lineage, mi ai will be a dead meme

it blows the a1 out of the water

Stock Android on Mi A1 will always be more stable than lineage, also it'll be more stable than MiUi, another thing to consider is the camera which will become shitty in lineage. The 6 inch screen is retarded and too big for anyone's hands.

t. manlet

no, you

>The 6 inch screen is retarded and too big for anyone's hands.

The form factor is exactly the same as the A1 you cretin.
Lineage is shit though

then the wifey might get my a1 soon

i actually prefer and miss LOS over androidONE from my rn3pro

you meant waifu?

nein

OP just got chinked ayy lmao

My "OnePlus Dash charge" USB C cables from Ali just arrived.
Of course the dash charge doesn't work, but they were cheap and I needed those cables anyway.

Feeling semi-chinked

>Nougat
Thanks i'll pass.

Fake thread

Any alternative to CLRS? I like that the book is not language specific but it requires me to invest a lot of time because they don't show the best algorithm and leave it as an exercise

Excuse me, but this is the /csg/ thread.
Keep your computer algorithm book questions in your own thread.

Books will never have the best algorithm. You're going to have to google it and check if it's practical with benchmarks.

Wait what's this useless garbage
Where's real /csg/
I thought this was a shitty OP

It is, the Op just messed up I think.
The correct one is right here

Eh, I figured.
I would've stayed with Sedgewick's book but his ways of explaining things don't work on me.

Okay thanks user

Sup Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Algorithms

Is Skena trolling or what?
>Linked lists chapter
>Search and delete implemented in recursion while they could easily be implemented with loops any time

>Not really a huge fan of math.

>No, that's CpE.
It's CS. Stop pretending EE involves computability.

ist.tugraz.at/cb15.html

This is from my uni, it's a master's degree course so all the slides are in English.
You can read into the pen & paper and programming assignments as well.

How do I get good at maths Sup Forums. I have never learned how to rearrange equations and it makes me sad.

What size are you looking for?

>Write down, in a procedural way, the math you understand so far
>Turn that into a step by step list of procedures you would perform
>ex: 1. Figure out what each neuron represents 2. Set up neurons, etc
>Translate that into code

If you were a computer scientist, that's what you would do. Remember, CS is just structured, algorithmic problem solving. Break it down, turn it into code. Simple

What's this shit, where's my real /csg/