/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Ask your stupid questions here.

Please first check the Sup Forums wiki for related keywords, and/ or search for an answer using one of the following privacy-respecting search engines (or any other such like them):

searx.me/
startpage.com/

Sup Forums wiki:
wiki.installgentoo.com/

You are not entitled to an answer. Banning bumps outright seems arbitrary, so please be considerate, since your question was definitely already seen by some. Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

tips.fbi.gov/
stackoverflow.com/a/30773147
podfeet.com/blog/recording/how-to-remove-noise-with-audacity/
chrome.google.com/sync
superuser.com/questions/1156739/why-do-i-need-to-renew-my-ip-address-every-time-i-start-my-computer-before-i-can
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28M7473
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145331
us.msi.com/Motherboard/785GME51/Specification
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If I use a USA IP to connect to a USA based server, will that decrease overall latency?

Thanks!

I don't know shit about security programs and I keep hearing that Avast (which I've been using since seeing it recommended back when it was still apparently good years ago) is shit now. Would I be fine just using Windows Defender for passive protection and scanning with MalwareBytes Free periodically? Or is shelling out shekels really necessary for solid anti-malware solutions? I saw someone recommend a Windows Defender + MalwareBytes Premium combo but then another person said that would be redundant but didn't offer an alternative setup.

Why are my boats in this thread?

which one of those is a boy

Is anyone unable to access the image server?

C++ question

Image.h:
#ifndef IMAGE_H
#define IMAGE_H

#include "color.h"
#include "dvector.h"
#include "math_2d.h"
#include "resource.h"

//Continued...

Image.cpp:
#include "image.h"

#include "core/io/image_loader.h"
#include "core/os/copymem.h"
#include "hash_map.h"
#include "print_string.h"

#include "thirdparty/misc/hq2x.h"

#include

//Continued...

Why are half of the Includes in the CPP and half of the Includes are in the Header?

As long as you use an adblocker and don't pirate shady shit, sure.

My main email is my name, how fucked am I? I made it years ago and didnt think much of it and I use this to sign into most accounts

Because when you include something, everything in the header you include is inlined at the top of the file.

Say you have a header full of utility functions that you use all over your program, called util.h, and a .cpp file with functions that use OpenGL stuff that includes util.h, but also OpenGL headers - if you included the OpenGL headers in util.h, they would be getting inlined into every source file that you include util.h from, for no real benefit.

So if I understand what you're saying:
All of the #Includes in the CPP files don't get transfered around but the ones in the Header does?

Correct. .cpp files are compiled into object code which are then compiled again into an executable - they are completely separated from other source files unless deliberately linked, which is done by declaring functions in headers, and defining them in source files.

If you #include in "util.h", opengl.h will be included into any source file you #include "util.h" in, even if you don't use OpenGL functions in it.

why should i host my virtual machine on a separate partition or even a separate disk?

everywhere i search, i see people asking how to boot a virtual machine that's on a partition separate from the one running the host application, how to move a virtual machine to a different partition, people mentioning how it's common to have a virtual machine on a separate partition, and people saying that it's a good idea to have your virtual machine on a different partition.

but why?
what are the benefits?
what are the drawbacks?
should i do it just because it's common practice? or should i just do what i want?

What's the best way to send original quality photos from android to ios?

Yes
Windows defender is fine

I have forgotten my lock pattern on my smartphone, however I can still use the fingerprint reader to access it. Is there a way to reset the pattern without fucking up the phone?

Why don't they make SBCs with decent CPUs? Why not pack 2x a72 cores and 4x a53 or something? I see most of them still using a7 which are old as fuck.

what third party filters do i want to check in ublock origin? this is what i have checked currently(nothing under regions/languages is checked)

what is a Sup Forums recommended image viewer? irfanview is a load of crap

My PC has 6 GB ram (3x 2 GB) + free ram slot

I also have a spare 1 GB ram

should I keep the 6 GB or add another 1 GB for a total of 7 GB?

That very much depends on what you want to do with the VM.

A separate partition/disk is mostly a security measure for people who want to fuck around with stuff that could compromise or fuck up the local data.

It is also nice to have if it is a permanent thing, since you may want to format the main drive/partition at some time while keeping the VM as is.

put as much as you can. It doesn't matter.
(unless your ram is slow as shit than other)

Just to add to what the other user said, all an #include statement does is literally copy the contents of the included file into the place of the include statement.
This is all done before any compiling or linking starts, in the pre-process stage.

Including a file more than once in you program isn't a big deal since the compiler will only compile the source file once anyway and the overhead of pre-processing is very small.

It's more just good practice to put commonly used include statements in a header file that just includes those headers.

In your example, in may be that types are defined in those headers that are need in image.h.

check everything you can. Also, those regions/languages won't affect much you can left it unchecked if you want

i have roughly 70 urls i need to open in a browser.
any tips on how to automate this? tried writing a ruby script that does syscalls to lynx but that didn't work

Hello guys. I think is well known that transmission-daemon has its issues, one of them is suddenly out of the blue, some torrents can't connect to their peers. I was wondering if some other user had the same issue and how they fixed it.

Why is the OP weaboo pedophile trying to hijack good clean sqt that we used to have? Just look at the previous thread linked.

Now its underage anime girls on every thread and lengthy long text sending people to some stupid sites that wont help
seriously, Sup Forums wiki as the first resource instead of what everyone knows is practical and just saying google it. Cant you take your activism somewhere else?

are you trying to find meaning by trying to be helfpul in your own special autistic RMS way?

can you please fuck off with this bullshit?
I preventively reporting you on fbi, maybe they will bother to get IP and do the raid, and when someone posts shit like this they know they will find something on your drives,
tips.fbi.gov/

You could do this:
stackoverflow.com/a/30773147

Are your URLs in a text file?
Then you can write a program to read them, then output the needed html/javascript as described above.

great plan. thanks!

i turned my win7 computer on and it started finalizing the latest update but for some reason at 50% my screen, mouse and keyboard shut themselves off. should i wait a while to see what happens or turn it off? no idea if its still updating either

There is probably a much better way to do it, I'm not a webdev and it's been a while since I've done any html/javascript, but that just seemed like a quick and easy solution that even I could do.

How long has it been.
After ten minutes, yeah turn it off and on again.
Windows update is a piece of shit.

atleast 6-7 minutes.

Give it another 5 minutes then restart, I remember having to that.

Why aren't you using Windows 10 though.
Ignore what Sup Forums says about it, it is good.

i installed it on my other PC 2 days ago and i got it working today after more update fuckery. not really digging it honestly.

I have a shitty computer so i know that's the main problem but for some reason a 3rd party PC app for youtube works better than youtube on Chrome (stutters a ton, no higher than 720p, crashes if you try to use the media controls). Why?

Use Firefox.
You're welcome :)

What don't you like about it?
It still has a lot of stupid design decisions, but you can still do everything you did on windows 7 and 8.

Mostly just the design decisions you mentioned but I'm just too used to 7 at this point. Anyway thanks for the advice user,just got it working again.

Cool.
You will eventually have to switch though, better get used to it now :^)

anyway i can clear the static out of a video?
got this joi video that i like , but through the whole video there is some static background noise that i'd like to clear.
anyway i can do that?

How the hell does r/Piracy still exist?
Aren't copyright holders trying to kill it?

I've never even visited there but when I heard of it I thought it was like the shoplifting subreddit or whatever, where shoplifting isn't encouraged somehow? I don't know but I thought reddit neutered the less advertiser-friendly subreddits

You know, I was going to insult you for asking a question that took me, someone who knows fuck all about audio, one google search to answer.

But then I realized that you're a poor submissive cuck of a nerd to whom this question is extremely important, so here:

podfeet.com/blog/recording/how-to-remove-noise-with-audacity/

There's some disturbing subredits.
I don't visit the main site, but I've stumbled onto some really weird subredits, even weirder than youtube comments.

Neither, those are boats

Like what, some NAMBLA shit?

what is the algorithm and bitrate used in oldschool flash games music compression? you know, newgrounds type of shit

May I do a little bump? I'm more curious than affected, but it is still curiousity.

I mean the type of people you think only exist in memes and satire, there are entire reddits full of them. Really fucking weird people with barely suppressed psychosis.

Sorry, you know, I can't help you, but I just wanted to say sorry for the bump mention in the OP. It's just that the old thread uses a pasta that contains "DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION". It makes my eye twitch cause it's so arbitrary and not explained to be justified at all, and no one even cares. Yet this pasta is used freely and just stifles curiosity and willingness to learn. So I reworded the entire thing but now my wording is like bullying (even though I amended the wording a bit).

So apprehensively bumping a question, that was my bad. I was trying to just reword the old text while losing minimal information, but messed up. No one cares about bumping a question, yet some threads kill it for some reason. It's really fine.

are you high man?
go take a nap.

I can travel 4 hours (round trip) to buy a reference RX480 8GB for ~$235 USD.
According to the seller, they attempted to BIOS flash it, but their computer shut down during the flash, and it crashes everytime they load any games up, it crashes.

Would it be worth freeing up 4 hours to travel there and get it? I know price-wise it would be, since it's not selling an arm and a leg to afford it.
Also, how hard would it be to try and flash the BIOS back to normal, if it's even possible?
(Sorry anons, the only modding I've ever done is on a Playstation 2 many years ago)

Don't do it, either the person will be a hermit who will stark you for the next 3 months, or it is a scam.

part of the basis of my visualisation of class-method-instance relationships is aided by the use of the 'self' parameter in Python. I just feel that it makes the visualisation from my code to the actual objects in memory that much easier to read and understand.

In C#, can I just use the 'this' keyword everywhere I would normally expect to use 'self' in Python? I understand that in C# a lot of the self-referencing is implied and that there's a lot of places I don't need to use it, but is there any negative effect of explicitly using it anyway just to make my code more easy to visualise?

>but is there any negative effect of explicitly using it anyway just to make my code more easy to visualise?

Not at all.

That is how text books teach the language and until you are comfortable with it, it is good practice to use it.

Eventually you will get tired of typing this. and just use it when necessary to distinguish between local and upper scope.

How do suscribe to Sup Forums?

enter system32 in windows search
delete the folder
that is how we all hack Sup Forums subscription haha

There is no actual piracy content posted there, only discussion/news about piracy

But more interesting, why does still exist, since there are actual links there

I need to contribute to an open source project for a class but I have no idea where to find one.

I was backing up my files using rsync to my external hdd when the hdd suddenly unplugged (perhaps it was loose), I didn't notice it for half a minute or so but the rsync was still going on. I forcibly stopped it after I noticed, but now I was wondering, where did the file go if the hdd was unplugged but rsync process was on?

github

How can I copy all my internet data (usernames, passwords, bookmarks, etc) from my old system to my new one?

I use chrome, the old system ran on a HDD and the new one on a SSD

chrome.google.com/sync ?

how do I use it? it seems to have stored all my stuff but I don't know how to activate it

is there a clover version for iPhone?

I have Windows 10 and Ubuntu dualbooted on an Asus Z97-A board, and noticed that Ubuntu tends to duplicate itself on my boot.efi occasionally (usually just when I boot into it but sometimes when I boot Windows as well) and if I leave it alone for too long it will eventually overload the boot.efi to the point that my system won't boot at all unless I unplug all my hard drives and boot straight to UEFI which seems to reset it.

Of course I don't like this happening so I tend to use efibootmgr to trim the extra entries long before it gets to this point, and with normal usage it usually takes months to get there anyway, but does anyone know why this happens or how I can actually stop it? It's only a minor inconvenience but it still seems to me it shouldn't be necessary.

Whats it like being a POS technician?

i'm guessing pretty shitty

Does CUK USA make good pre-built computers for the price? I dont have the time/resources to build my own laptop so if these guys are gonna live up to their name, I'd gladly search elsewhere

What are the rough prices that somebody should go for when it comes to buying older cards?
I had 780+, 970+, R9 Fury, R9 280+, and cards that are generally better than, or at least comparable to a 3GB 1060 in mind. However, I have no clue what the general prices should be. I'm seeing anywhere from $100 to $300 for a GTX970, for example.

Planning on buying an Asus Zenbook UX330UA-AH55. Is there a better option for the price?

audacity doesnt support .mp4

With memory mapped I/O, is there only a single, shared portion of memory used between all I/O devices? Or does each device get its own space?

>strip audio from video
>edit audio according to your desire
>stitch them back together
:^)

Some fucking retarded classmate or someone is using some app to fucking text bomb my Android phone and it's irritating as fuck.Please tell me how to prevent this because I'm frustrated and I swear I'll fucking beat the shit out of the person who has done this.

I recently built a PC and I have 2 questions:

The linked SATA (i think, not the power cable for the drives) will allow all of the to communicate with each other or do I have to set that up? Each drive MUST have both cables attached, where do i plug in all those drives?

Lastly, the main boot drive i took from my old pc is running laggy at 100% in task manager on the new PC even though I cleaned it up before moving. Any ideas? I've yet to do anything with the bios or update drivers on the new pc, was just a boot test.

Why is the girl on the right crying.

Because pic unrelated

Does a SIM mobile hotspot exist that I can install a vpn upon?
I know I could use a phone, but phone battery life while receiving and broadcasting an internet connection is abysmal.

My cute boatwife-daughters

The internet speed on my (relatively new) laptop is awful. Running a test on speedtest.net gives me 0.2 Mbps download and 0.4 upload.
I've also run the test on my android phone (from the same spot where my laptop is as I'm talking about WiFI) and I'm getting the usual 8 Mbps download.
I've tried disabling wireless connection on the laptop and connecting to the phone via USB tethering but I'm still getting ~0.2 Mbps download.

How do I investigate?

I keep having to ipconfig/release/renew every time my computer restarts or hibernates. it connects to the network itself but only has internet connection when I do that, otherwise websites just time out. strangely enough, stuff like google or facebook sometimes work even when other sites time out.
It's a problem with my machine because no other device in my home has this problem, including phones, computers and consoles.

Previously, my speeds were ~100Mbps when out and about, and ~80Mbps indoors.
However, my speeds indoors are now typically at about ~6Mbps, remaining at the similar ~100Mbps while outdoors. I've made sure to triple-check that it's Megabits per second, not megabyte/mebibytes or anything like that.
I've made no changes to my house, the last time that any renovation was done was before I got my 30GB plan, so considering it didn't interfere with that, it shouldn't with this. Contacting my mobile provider didn't really provide me with anything meaningful, where they didn't even say it might be a transitional period or whatever, since I've had it now for just under a month.
My phone, when I get home from work, sits in the same spot that I've tested it previously, so location of it shouldn't be a problem.
Even my colleagues haven't acknowledged any oddities when at home, so I don't think it's a tower issue.

I'm clueless at this stage. Might anybody have any ideas as to what it could be? The only difference, when I was talking with my provider about it, should be higher download limit. With them apparently having scheduled maintenance on their towers within the next 2 month, if it isn't fixed, I'm eligible for a refund on the months I've paid in that period.

How do I stop win 10 from trying to update uninstalled programs? It's a pain in the ass

Shit, should add that I upgraded from a 30GB plan to 120GB. When I was in the process of upgrading, they said that my speeds shouldn't change. They've also been really reliable since I signed up through them, so I don't, at this point, imagine it'd be them lying for a quick sale.

Feel free to call me retarded or something for getting so much data on a mobile plan. I don't pay for home broadband, so I just rely on using mobile data.
Those speeds are while I'm not tethered to the computer, and with the same settings, same OS version, same everything, and the only difference I know is that I went through and deleted Facebook & Slack off of my phone.

When I return 444 in nginx to blocked IPs, do they gain any information from that? Does it look like there's no server running or like a server that just doesn't answer?

Where the hell do you even GET a 120gb mobile plan? I've never heard of a cell phone company that would be cool with you using a fraction of that, let alone with teathering

superuser.com/questions/1156739/why-do-i-need-to-renew-my-ip-address-every-time-i-start-my-computer-before-i-can

Maybe not in the US, but in Japan and some European countries for example you can get really cheap unlimited data plans.

>go to japan
>buy sim card at airport
>buy ~1gb a day plan
>only about $20
was fucking great. speed was faster than most wifi spots here.

Sure you can get "unlimited", but that just means they get you with "fair use". Mobile bandwidth is limited, so they can't just let you go nuts. They'd get crazy congestion

So right now I've got one stick of this (4gb):
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28M7473

And two sticks of this (two 2gb sticks):
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145331

And my mobo supports up to 16gb. I'm wondering if I should get one more stick of 8gb, or if it would be better to scrap the 2gb ones and build evenly, using four 4gb sticks. Or maybe even just scrap them all and get two 8gb's. Basically, should I be using all the same size memory sticks in order to utilize dual channel capabilities, or is that not important?

This is my mobo:
us.msi.com/Motherboard/785GME51/Specification

Reposting from last thread
My laptop got stolen, hopefully it is getting replaced by insurance. I had a Lenovo Y50 costing about $1100. I was thinking about going cheaper and saving some money but since I won't be getting any more cash by doing so (I would get reimbursed based on what I spent) I am looking for the best laptop in that price range. Something that's mostly utilitarian (battery life, nice keyboard, etc.) with the power to occasionally run relatively light games from time to time. Any suggestions?

that guy's problem seems to be relatedto a win10 update, but i have win7.

My old laptop with dual boot (Linux + Windows) died, so i took out the HDD and connected to a new computer to get the files.

But when i connect to the new computer it only shows the files that i had on windows.

How do i access the Linux ones?

why is RAID so fucking hard to deal with

maybe try booting in linux see if the files show up. just use a flash drive.

problem is my computer "doesn't like" Linux, because there is no support for the new drivers and it freezes the computer

so i have to do that all on windows 10

why won't my .tk domain work for my lamp server?