/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended freedom models:
>>T60, X60; X200, T400/500
Recommended modern models:
>>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot on T420; Classic keyboard swap on *30 series
>>W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>>T440p/540p - Last Thinkpads with soc64674917keted processors, easily replaceable trackpad
>>P-Series - 15'' and 17'', up to 4K displays, 64gb of RAM, Xeon processors.

Why ThinkPad?
>>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>>EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
>>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

theoven.org
bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1509017
ebay.com/itm/94Wh-8-4Ah-Genuine-9-Cell-44-Battery-For-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-X230i-X220-X220i/132289287246?hash=item1ecd0e544e:g:g0wAAOSwKBNZinAO
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430-upgraded-128gb-mSATA-320gb-16GB-RAM-Core-i7-3632-Win10/253425643888?hash=item3b01587170:g:bsAAAOSwcSxachuV
youtube.com/watch?v=NNJsFURpMT4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_spoofing
ebay.com/itm/Frankenpad-Thinkpad-T60-T61p-M-B-15-LED-LCD-UXGA-IPS-X9000-8GB-0808-safe/302547274907?hash=item4671390c9b:g:vO0AAOSwA~VaHohD
www3.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/ThinkPad-T470/p/22TP2TT4700
ark.intel.com/products/27233/Intel-Core-Duo-Processor-T2300-2M-Cache-1_66-GHz-667-MHz-FSB
ark.intel.com/products/27255/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T7200-4M-Cache-2_00-GHz-667-MHz-FSB
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for ThinkCat.

First one for THICCPad (W70(?)ds)

>reddit spacing
>Apple shilling
Opinion discarded.
Also, I'm sorry if the new thread came late, I just woke up.

Fuck off catnigger

After disassembling my T410 to replace the thermal paste and clean the fan, I am starting to hate it and perhaps Thinkpads in general.

Aren't they supposed to be sturdy and easy to fix? Taking this thing apart was way worse than I had expected. Even a shitty Acer laptop was somewhat sturdier when taking apart.
I followed the official service manual and video instructions, but the keyboard bezel wouldn't come off. It started breaking on a couple of points. It felt really cheap and thin. On top of that removing the thermal module was difficult and putting it back into place even harder. I also have a leftover screw that won't fit back in. I meticulously wrote down where each one belonged on a piece of paper (with a sketch), so I'm pretty certain that I used the right screw.

What setup would satisfy a paranoid x200-autist the most?
(Which one would be the safest?)
>libreboot + trisquel, or some other blob-free distribution
>coreboot + QubesOS
Or are there alternatives?

user, you might be mentally retarded.

I just bought a t440p, it's my first Thinkpad with the new keyboard layout, but apart from that and the terrible trackpad I got a pretty good deal imo so I'm happy, I'll miss my t61 tho

Explain how, because I can then use it to avoid those errors the next time I have to replace it.

The keyboard bezel or the palmrest is the worst part of disassembly, seriously feels like I'm going to snap the fucking thing.

My t420 boots up to a black screen now. After putting a flashlight to the screen I can see that it is actually on and booting normally but the backlight isn't on. Is there anyway to tell if its the screen or my t420 that is causing this? I read some stuff about a fuse but really don't want to bridge that if its not the problem. For the price of a new screen I could probably just buy a new thinkpad.

>waiting for a fellow freetard

Hey /tpg/
I just got a t420, in pretty good condish. But Is missing the og Intel core I5 Stickers, anyone knows where I can get them?
Also, what about the sticker that goes on the trackpad? From what Im seeing, this trackpad is kinda glossy in a way.
Also, Its a good Idea to get a battery from Aliexpress?

Fuck. Swapped another screen into it and have the same issue. Does anyone know where I can find that fuse?

X230 won't power on, only thing that lights up is the mic indicator. Any thoughts?,

You can choose only one.

which mines bitcoin better?

There is no safety on the internet from nation-state actors. Define the threat you wish to mitigate.
Ideal solution is not ever having info you want secured on a PC connected to the internet, but collecting secure toys is fine and good experience.

Qubes is a good choice because of isolation. You aren't restricted to that though. For max autism you can boot a live OS into RAM for each use then reboot. Unless someone has physical access to your machine your odds are vastly improved by having no attached hard disk to ever retain kompromat.

Bonus is x200 runs nicely with a live distro booted using the Knoppix toram boot code. It's stupid to store data on the machine you use for communication. You can hand off data to a removable device after scanning it on your x200. Connect that device to another x200 with no networking for use. You could store classified data on a microSD card in an adapter. Adapters with write protect switches are best. Knoppix is the live OS with most programs and is built by the brilliant Klaus Knopper.

You can also custom build WinPE live OS if you want to run a Windows prog for some reason.

theoven.org

None of these options conflict so you can install Qubes to your SSD then load live USB with whatever you want. You can boot your Linux of choice to ram without touching or mounting your Qubes drive. That permits maximum play value. You can build multiboot live USB too.

Anyone experiencing webcam issues with Windows 10?
My t440s shows a black screen when I try to use it.
Internet recommended me to install the Lenovo settings app from the Store but it's not even starting...

You troubleshot it the right way. I'd look for another system board on a base with a damaged screen or another complete machine.

You can also run an external GPU to use that one.

Cheapest

So, I think either an X230 or T430 would be best for me. Just wanted to ask, do these laptops get loud? I work in a library, so the quiter the better. If they are loud, would getting a *40 model help?

Also, what a good EU price for these when they're stock? So, small HDD, TFT screen, 4gb ram. And how much should an IPS screen or a ram upgrade add? I don't really know much about secondhand buying, so I don't want to get ripped off.

Is there any difference in temps?

Tried to repaste some panasonic that I have. Keyboard is glued to the place and below it is some also glued in to place membrane for waterproofing. Shit from nightmares to take apart. There's also no official service manual available online.

>tfw I just bought a slice battery for my T430
>7 hours of battery life from it alone watching movies

It apparently has a capacity of 102%, or at least tlp-stat reports that.

I have a hard time believing this is a genuine battery, seems too good to be true. Does nobody bother buying these bulky ass """slice""" batteries? Got it from eBay for about a hundred from a high rated seller.

I just bought a Latitude 7490 for a little under $1k with a student deal. Here in Switzerland that thing is usually around $1.8k so I think it was a good deal.

I hope they aren't meme laptops and I hope coffee lake is good on mobile.

Latitudes are ok, IMO, not as great as ThinkPads, but they aren't thin hipster piece of crap like XPS, pretty solid and repairable (well at least 3xxx series). I don't really know if you need $1k laptop for student needs, but gratz user.

I would have gone with a ThinkPad T470 or something but they are overpriced as hell here and only E models are cheap, and afaik those aren't worth it at all. I just wanted a laptop that holds for longer than my old shitty Envy 14.

Dead silent as long you don't have a HDD whirring in them or aren't stressing them to the max

They're big and heavy
Honestly I almost pulled the trigger on one but got a X230 instead

I just bought x60 tablet
any idea about touchscreen-friendly OS it can run?

Linux. Like, really. You will just need to set up your favourite DE for touch.

I didn't do any actual tests and can only say from memory. Right now it's at 40°C from general web browsing. I think it's slightly better than before, where I think it was at like 45°C.

ubuntu mate works nice on my X61t

Quick question. I'm a computer tech and I fix computers all the time, one of the computers that I consider to have superior build quality are Lenovo products. Though I have a friend who is also a tech who states that Lenovo build quality sucks. I have no idea what he is talking about and honestly I think he may be deriving this from some bullshit. Help guys? What do I say to him? I don't want him in the dark I actually like this friend.

That's good news. A shame all of these sellers overprice their SSD's so much. They often tend to add 70 euro to the price for a 120GB ssd, while I can get one of those for around 40-50 on amazon new.

Any idea what a good price for a X230 is in europe, by any chance? I checked the OP, but those seem to be US prices and I've noticed price differences are pretty large. Also, how necessary is the IPS screen?

libinput a shit

bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1509017

Remember that besides ThinkPads Lenovo makes shitton of laptops, and even within ThinkPad series they have crap like E and L series, and most of those devices are being held by few dozens of latches and glue.
You are probably both right, if you are talking about different laptops.

Thanks user!

Also compared to IBM and even first Lenovo ThinkPads, build quality has decreased on modern laptops in favor of price. If you compare how easy it is to access everything, or, lets say, replace keyboard, on X200 and, say, X240, you will see the difference.

Nope
I can give you roach prices though if you want?

Another issue for me is the fact that the slice battery barely latches on. You need to shake it a little to make sure the hinges are attached, or else it fucking drops. If the battery was flicked on and it literally comes off, then it's instant shutdown, regardless of your main battery.

If I hold the laptop from a corner with that beast attached, then I really start to doubt the build quality of the T430, as it feels like it's going to snap the entire laptop in halve. Maybe I am just being fearful.

I adjusted the settings to suit me and it's back to the way it was before. You're just retarded.

Eh, why not. It's always nice to be able to compare different local prices.

what distro for x220? Ubuntu keeps shitting up the wifi (intel taylor peak adapter), tried all kinds of fixes. Fedora didn't but it's bloat. So I won't bother with anything Debian based.

What is the consensus on buy batteries? Are ones from ebay okay, or is there somewhere else?
Is something like this good and what kind of mileage can I expect?
ebay.com/itm/94Wh-8-4Ah-Genuine-9-Cell-44-Battery-For-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-X230i-X220-X220i/132289287246?hash=item1ecd0e544e:g:g0wAAOSwKBNZinAO

> Ubuntu keeps shitting up the wifi
It's never about the distro. Just RTFM and install and configure software or replace hardware - you are going to have problems on any Linux distro.

Found out I received it damaged. One of the hinges is broken and the spring mechanism doesn't work, letting it not latch onto the laptop securely.

FUCKING GOOKS

How free is BIOS on X41? Let's say I want to play a freetard, but there is no libreboot nor coreboot options available, but do I really need them on 2005 motherboard?

Finally got a nupad.

Coming from a 100% self built and modded T430.

This keyboard sucks, and I don't think I'm going to make this my main machine, but for light travel it's nice.

Speaking of traveling, the keyboard has none. Did I mention it sucks?

Oh and it's a WQHD X1C6

I have a T470 and an X1 Yoga 2nd gen, desu I can live with the keyboad, the battery life makes up for it all.

Those machines have half the cores and half the battery. They just last longer because in addition to half the cores they also get massively underclocked.

Going to install linux on my x220 now, what should I name the machine?

I tried coworker's X1 Carbon 5th gen and keyboard feels great.
But being a faggot, you prefer jizzed greasy old keyboard

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430-upgraded-128gb-mSATA-320gb-16GB-RAM-Core-i7-3632-Win10/253425643888?hash=item3b01587170:g:bsAAAOSwcSxachuV
Good deal? I'm about 2.5 hour drive away. Local pickup only.

700 liras or about 150 euros

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I was thinking of buying a thinkpad for school... I just need it for programming and multitasking. I would prefer getting something with a good battery life. My budget is around $300 to $400. Plis HALP

I am the guy who was talking about x60
Well I bought it for +-45$
The seller said it has 180GB disk
I thought its some old hdd (the seller probably thought so too)
I opened it
>Itel SSD Pro 1500 Series 180GB

The key travel is shorter and it's a shitlet. Not my fault all you've tried is garbage.

So this is the power of the ThinkPad

Trying to fix a thinkpad x1 carbon 2nd gen running windows 7. It has issues with wifi signal. Basically the signal is really weak but when booting to safe mode everything works ok. So far I've disabled all the services and processes that are not running in safe mode. What am I missing? What else changes in safe mode that could affect the wifi signal?

I know it isn't a real thinkpad.

>THICCPad
>No mention of G40

Thanks for this much info, user!
I’ll try these things out.

Almost forgot to answer
>Define the threat you wish to mitigate
I want to be as safe as possible when it comes to a spying government on the internet and (possible) attackers on the dark webs..

what do you think about x1 carbon? I'm able to get one cheaply

>be me
>broke as fuck
>looking to replace laptop
>see ThinkPad X130e for

What is the oldest Thinkpad you can use for browsing and text editing? Also going to install Gentoo on it.

I'm pretty excited I'll be getting my first thinkpad since I was 11 in a few days.
I will have to try and beat Halflife again with the keyboard nipple.

Get a used X220 instead

KEK
i used to play halflife with two people on the same keyboard. the days when gaming wasnt about winning and more about having fun.

Do you know the differences between x60 x220?

There was someone who played Counter Strike with a TrackPoint.

youtube.com/watch?v=NNJsFURpMT4

what other things would i be missing out on other than usb 3?
even without a good controller, you cant keep a usb transfrr rate at more than 10mbs, so im interested if it is worth putting in the extra time just so i can make a quick usb

Anyone who doesn't specify which specific MODELS of brand whatever is just shitflinging.

Don't try to convince others. That's what a child would do and the only thing children are good for is sex, not ideas. Let events educate him because most people are unable to conceive anything they did not experience. Friends don't nag friends or hallucinate they can change them. Also so long as he gets paid to fix them broken machines are GOOD.

I miss the good old days of 9x/NT networks. Job security was beautiful.

Can thinkpads survive 3 gun shots?

The X60 screen is 4:3 and comes with a C2D and DDR2
The X220 screen is 16:9 and comes with a Ci5 and DDR3

If you want some between these two, get an X200

That is what I mean the eraser nipple lol

Is a 32GB for €12 alright for a Thinkpad X200 running Xubuntu purely for shitposting/learning Linux purposes?

I guess so, I would replace the LCD and leave the case with the bullet holes in it, assuming that kid is still alive.

*32GB SSD

t. gnome dev

Learn how to use Tor, learn to obfuscate your MAC address (vital because if the enemy know your hardware MAC you are fucked when they catch you, and learn about VPNs. Never rely one one VPN for anything. Make your important comms very brief and via obfuscated MAC addresses.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_spoofing

Don't use the internet from your home. No tools can save you. Use public wifi and don't display your screen to any cameras. A wallpaper looking like Windows or a game would be a wise choice.

You can custom remaster live images. Remastersys is one tool for that.

BTW the Windows PE images load most reliably using Rufus from a Windows box, though I will try Bobs the way I found out works very well with no hard disk. I already did this with Falconfour isos. Load USB with OS using Rufus, then paste the .iso and Rufus to your flash drive. (I also did that with FalconFour DVD when I added the live.iso to the built .iso along with Rufus. That way your live OS can reproduce. Works with Linux too of course.

Never use the same MAC address for pentesting more than once.

A real 32 gig SSD, or a sad eMMC arrangement? Either way is fine for light use.

The SanDisk ReadyCache of old, which I believe works as an ordinary SSD despite it's original marketed purpose as acting as the cache for another drive.

trying to flash custom BIOS logo on my w530, on windows 10, flasher gives chinglish error with code 211
haven't been able to find any solution
anyone with the same issue?

On second thoughts I might just spring for a new Chinese SSD instead.

>ebay.com/itm/Frankenpad-Thinkpad-T60-T61p-M-B-15-LED-LCD-UXGA-IPS-X9000-8GB-0808-safe/302547274907?hash=item4671390c9b:g:vO0AAOSwA~VaHohD

Who would buy it with that price?

How is the X201 in current year on windows 7?
looking to sell my w520(too heavy) and considering it since it's alot cheaper than an X230 is.

Come on user, only 56$ a month for 24 months! What a bargain!

I've got one and it's definitely on the way out.
For stuff like general use my i7 model and 8GB ram is good and all but the real killer is the screen size.

Doesn't matter if it's the last 16:10 Thinkpad when the resolution is at a terrible 1280x800. It really kills productivity because with two windows open you'll have very little room to actually see shit. Most websites don't even support that resolution anymore, so you have to scroll to the side to see the entire site or zoom out.

Also, most X201's end up having problems with their Thinklights sooner or later. The wiring on these models tends to get loose with age, but if you're fine with opening the X201 up fixing it is easy as hell.

If you couldn't care less about resolution then the X201 isn't a bad choice. I'd say spring for the X230 or at they very least a X220 though.

Best Thinkpad for my dad to use? he's not totally retarded when it comes to computers. Looking to spend approx. $1000-1200 AUD. Brand new

T470's are being discounted pretty heavily since the newer gen is being rolled out: www3.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/ThinkPad-T470/p/22TP2TT4700

I have a dell latitude d620, and I was thinking of upgrading the processor in it (I don't really want to spend too much, since it is a 12 year old computer now, and it will be used for running older programs and basic internet browsing). I was thinking of upgrading the t2300 to either a t7400 or t7500. Would I see a major upgrade boost, since it would double the
L2 cache and have a ~25% clock speed increase, along with an increase in bus speed (667 MHz FSB vs 800). Would this have a noticeable difference in real life performance? The t7400 & 7500 are only $5.

Nevermind. Allegedly, the t7500 is not compatible. I'd need to go with the t7600, which is $10. Would there be a noticable difference between the t7200 and t2300?

ark.intel.com/products/27233/Intel-Core-Duo-Processor-T2300-2M-Cache-1_66-GHz-667-MHz-FSB

ark.intel.com/products/27255/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T7200-4M-Cache-2_00-GHz-667-MHz-FSB

Last post about this the I'll just learn to live with it - a while back I spilled water on my X201 + dock.

I dried everything out, and now when it boots it takes around 2.5 minutes, whereas it took under 20 seconds before.

I've tried cleaning out everything I could without completely dissembling the machine. New ram, SSD, and tested without a battery but the problem still persists. Odd thing is that once it boots it works and performs just as fast as it did before the spill.

The video shows how long it takes to boot, and the way the lights behave. Maybe there's some obscure X201 led code out there that can tell me what the hell the problem is?

I need something for school. Something that can handle light coding (should be ez enough) and can handle multimedia shit like Photoshop and Illustrator.

Screen size preferable 15.6" or above and IPS, IPS is negotiable but 15.6" is not.

SSD would be nice.

Hard cap budget @ $1,000

You are posting in /tpg/ - ThinkPad General. Are you interested in a Lenovo ThinkPad with 15 inch display and SSD?