rule34.paheal.net/post/list/xfce/1
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/thunar#Custom_actions
l3net.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops/
youtube.com/watch?v=7YlJ6U8s3LA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

KDE 3.5 was god tier

you forgot the liscence !

=====

Art CC BY-SA Tyson Tan (creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)
community.kde.org/Promo/Material/Mascots
By replying to this post you agree to license your contribution under the same CC BY-SA 4.0 license or compatible terms.

why does XFCE not have a 3D mascot, like a cute mouse girl?

3D is bloat

What's the best distro to use KDE with? Does it support wayland? Do recent AMD GPUs(especially laptop ones) support wayland? Preparing to dump windows some time this year.

the best KDE distro is KDE Neon, Opensuse will be ok with the next release if you want something that will be stable for 4 years
Go Opensuse if you really need image preview in Firefox tho
KDE 4.12 seems to have good wayland support, you can enable it on KDE Neon in the login screen

>What's the best distro to use KDE with?
Unironically Arch. Manjaro if you don't want to fix your system because you foolishly updated something you shouldn't have.
>Does it support wayland?
Yes, however Wayland is shit. Don't use it (yet). It might be usable in a couple years.
>Do recent AMD GPUs(especially laptop ones) support wayland?
Yes, no clue about laptops though.

is it possible to lewd this?

Manjaro and OpenSUSE have the nicest KDE configs on installation. Neon has plain defaults, but it's the lightest one and always first to get KDE updates. Wayland support is in early stages. Dunno about AMD.

Of course, remember you are user

so i see u r running gahnohmghge

:^^^^^^^^)))))))))

Thanks, I'll check out all of them. Plenty of time.

ha ha benis X-D

>arch

kek

Has Konqiposter returned? Why are there no Konqi valentine's day cards?

I wish I was kidding, but it was the best experience I had with KDE.

For some reason kde has a huge memory leak on my laptop, i have to run kwin_x11 --replace(i think that's the command, i just use an alias) once or twice a day otherwise the system will simply lock up.

That says more about XFCE getting gtk3 bloat than KDE slimming down

it's both

What version, have you tried deleting cache files?

What do you even need a DE for when you could just use a proper window manager like openbox that uses less than 100MB ram total?

Nothing about XFCE on rule 34. We should ask someone at Sup Forums to do something about this.

5.12, but it was happening with older versions too. Haven't tried clearing the cache but i will now that you mentioned it.

2.0 was

Meant to quote you.

Creating a new user also works to see if it's a cache problem, also delete all the downloaded plasmoids.

>ebichu

Gecko / openSUSE, Neon.

No. Arch is a mess. I found Gentoo distros more stable then arch.

I run Solus with budgie and it's awesome and stable for a rolling distro. No KDE base installer makes me sad but at least Budgie Desktop is moving to the QT framework over the shitty fragmented GTK4.0 spec.

too bad its the most frustrating thing on the planet to use, made me want to scream with how un-intuitive it was.

>back to XFCE

Boot KDE Neon. Just make a mental note on trying it out. I was surprised.

Clearly it's a Fibonacci sequence and they should skip from 5 to 8.

Yeah, i agree
XFCE is garbage too

>most stable nearly fully-featured DE available
>shit
??

I miss KDE 2.0

>>most stable nearly fully-featured DE available
Here are a couple of major flaws:
>No thumbnails in the file picker
>Thunar does not remember icon views
>Thunar does not shorten filenames leading to very inconsistent column widths
>Thunar does not have a native search function
>Xfwm can't into removing screen tearing
>still attempting to port to GTK3 when GTK4 is around the corner
Minor but very annoying:
>Mugshot, the user photo application, is a dead feature that's still weirdly integrated into the whisker menu, you can open it but it will give you an error

>No thumbnails in the file picker
God, this is really the first gripe for everyone on Sup Forums, isn't it?

>not having thumbnails in the file picker is a fault of XFCE, not GTK
>Thunar is the only file manager that works on XFCE
>I'm too fucking retarded to fix screen tearing

Did you know Sup Forums is an imageboard?

I was only pretending to be retarded.

>not having thumbnails in the file picker is a fault of XFCE, not GTK
Using GTK is XFCE's fault.
>Thunar is the only file manager that works on XFCE
Thunar is part of XFCE.

>>not having thumbnails in the file picker is a fault of XFCE, not GTK.
It's a fault of both. Xfce didn't have to go with GTK.
>>Thunar is the only file manager that works on XFCE
If you're going to be mixing and matching heavily integrated applications then you might as well use Openbox at this point. You can't even remove Thunar without removing the entire DE.
>>I'm too fucking retarded to fix screen tearing
Yea, you can fix it if you use third-party applications like Compton or Nvidia's driver settings. Not natively. This is your "fully-featured" DE.

Why should I use it over Cinnamon?

>Thunar is part of XFCE
I was able to remove it without removing the DE, so I have no clue where you're getting this from.

It might not be part of the xfce (meta-)package, but it is part of the xfce project.

What do you mean by "thunar doesn't remember icon views"? I just tested this and it seems to work fine.
Catfish integrates fine with thunar for searching. I didn't even know it's an external program until now.
Xfwm already removed tearing in v4.13. The point is to have a light OS, and vsync wastes power so it shouldn't be on by default. Even (((windows))) has tearing unless you enable Aero. But it would definitely need an interface for enabling the tearfree option for intel and AMD.
Mugshot doesn't give errors on my machines. Perhaps this is the fault of your distro? Works fine on ZorinOS.

But I agree with
>Thunar does not shorten filenames leading to very inconsistent column widths
And also
>desktop thumbnails sometimes completely disappear and need a reboot to refresh
>suspending the PC will completely disable some background software until you launch it manually

Because Qt is better than gtk3, and KDE software is much better than GNOME alternatives.

>KDE software is much better than GNOME alternatives
Except for mail client.

>tfw got 5.12.1 upgrade as a valentine's day gift from Konqi
Thank you, you lewd little thing.

All desktop mail clients are shit.

Use LXQt instead of KDE bloat.

You can hate gnome, but gotta recognize that top status bar plus shortcuts on the left is the patrician layout.

>What do you mean by "thunar doesn't remember icon views"? I just tested this and it seems to work fine.
It does not remember individual folder view settings. If you set it to Icon view in the Pictures folder then every other folder is also gonna use the Icon view. If you set it to List view in the Documents folder then every other folder is also gonna use the List view.
>Catfish integrates fine with thunar for searching. I didn't even know it's an external program until now.
If it doesn't even have its own search bar but relies on an external application popup then I don't consider it finely integrated.
>Xfwm already removed tearing in v4.13.
I'll give you this, I have not used xfwm 4.13, but its screentearing is still a common complaint among new users today.
>Perhaps this is the fault of your distro? Works fine on ZorinOS.
Certainly not on Debian stretch, buster, and even unstable, and the application hasn't been updated since 2016 so I don't expect that to change.

LXQt and KDE complement each other! Budgie will also join the Qt future!

LXQt still uses KDE libs.

Sup Forums is our best ally 1/2

Sup Forums is our best ally 2/2

What is the mouse's name btw? going to upload this shit on rule34

>individual folder view settings
Ah, yeah I see. I always preferred a global view. But I can see how this would be useful.
>I don't consider it finely integrated.
It appears under
Right click -> find in this folder
And File -> find in this folder
That's good enough.
>the application hasn't been updated since 2016 so I don't expect that to change.
It's honestly useless and should be removed from the project.

Xue

10/10

Tagged as xfce, fuck it.

rule34.paheal.net/post/list/xfce/1

>Right click -> find in this folder
>And File -> find in this folder
That's a custom action that doesn't come with Thunar on every distro. For example, Arch
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/thunar#Custom_actions

>That's a custom action
Oh. didn't know that. I haven't used regular/default Xfce in a long time.

you know, Disney

Delete these

Is there a way to make the window decorations transparent? I'm one of those people who unironically liked aero.

it isn't fully ported over to qt, development is glacial, and I hate openbox as a wm

KDE SHILL!
FAKE NEWS!

>gnome 3
>155
Yeah, no. Fuck off footfag.

Is this chart from 2009 or something? Xfce and MATE are way heavier now thanks to gtk3 and that Gnome is just fake news-tier lies.

It's from 2013, five years ago, so it's hardly accurate anymore
l3net.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops/

we need a new benchmark, so much has changed now

Try FormaN aurorae theme. Not sure if it works with 5.12 tho.

Yeah, openbox and dwm are still the best.

>(higher is better)

Damn, the gtk desktops have really gone to shit since then.
Some new benchmarks would be nice.

not him but is fedora good for KDE?

So KDE boot with 265mb of ram?

>come with me if you want to live

>>Thunar does not have a native search function
Dude fucking this.
>just use catfish ecksdeeeeee
Was the answer in two thousand fucking six. How can this still be acceptable in the year of our lord 2018?

Gentoo is unironically the best distro for KDE if you're willing to put in the time. I just finished installing it today and shit flies

>you foolishly updated something you shouldn't have
How the fuck does it work?

>rebbit

>spacing

L

M

A

O

I want to know this too

Yes, they seem to track upstream well.

is there an interest switching from xfce to kde honestly? renaming half of your basic softwares to make them start with a K isn't serious

alright, who's got the tools to do the needful
youtube.com/watch?v=7YlJ6U8s3LA

>wayland
shiggy

>delete all [...] plasmoids
sounds strangely Sup Forums like

>still getting bent over by GnomeTK's abuse instead of having some dignity and switching to Qt
FTFY

Is there a way to make the wallpaper configs stick or script it in a better way?
I have a laptop (one screen) which docks into 3 screens.
When it does, it remembers the resolution config of the monitors, but the wallpapers are often shuffled.
Does anyone know a way to set the wallpaper by script or make it less annoying to dock/undock aside from using a monocolor wallpaper?

something about the pose/expression in that image gives me the impression that the artist has a "closer" relation with konqi

>KDE uses 30% more RAM than Xfce and is half as good

Welp, you really sold me on that OP

>350mb on idle
The mouse is fucking dead.