2-in-1 Thread

What does Sup Forums think about 2-in-1 laptops? Also, what what ones would any of you recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-spectre-x360-convertible-laptop-15t-touch-1wb97av-1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yoga 520

A meme.

whichever you buy make sure you get a warranty

I think it's stupid and I would recommend not buying one.

It's simply a matter of weight, a regular 10" tablet is heavy and big enough. I use my 6.5" a lot more than my 10", I mostly use that one on a stand.

There's nothing wrong with a laptop with a screen that folds like that, if you want one then go for it. It's probably fine as a laptop. But don't expect something that thick and heavy to be comfortable to use as a tablet. It won't.

AMA

It's called Product Differentiation.
If you can't compete you dream up a feature-set that will hopefully impress enough buyers.
In 5 years 2-in1 will be as dead as Netbooks.

I've been using one for the past year. The HP paviolion x360 13" model. I thoroughly enjoy the form factor, and for my use cases its perfect. I've never had or really used a separate tablet though, so I don't know how it compares. However, I enjoy much more over my previous laptop. What I really like about it is both the portability and versatility of it.

didn't netbooks change into chromebooks though?

I might sound like an idiot for this, but I kinda want to get one so I can essentially use it as a monitor and input device for a more powerful desktop computer. The idea is to use the desktop system for as much as possible, including drawing stuff using the tablet screen. I just don't know if this is feasible for some absolute pleb who can't code.

I often use mine with my desktop, and while it does act like a second monitor in essence, I'm just using 2 computers at the same time.

Surface book 2 is the only non-shit 2 in 1

HOLY SHIT. My 2011 debian macbook air is in better condition. I cant imagine alcantera and cum after a few years. Disgusting.

>Surface book 2
then justify the price tag

Right, but I was thinking about doing remote desktop (or something like it) to keep all my files in one place, and be able to do stuff like CAD from anywhere in the house, and use a cheaper 2 in 1 instead of a more powerful and expensive one. Since I plan on denying the desktop an internet connection, this would hopefully help keep my stuff more secure too.

Only problem is, in my experience, remote desktop tends to be slow, laggy, and probably wouldn't transmit digital pen pressure levels.

cant you stream windows devices on other machines as long as their linked to the same account? Other than that, would using a screen sharing program like synergy would for you?

Meme.

Also I know you said that you plan on cutting the desktop off from an internet connection but those were the only 2 solutions I could think of.

I really enjoy my surface book.

Dell inspiron 5000 or HP Spectr x360. The dell comes with an i7-8550U, 8gb of RAM, and a 256gb SSD. the HP would have an i5-8250, also 8gb, and a 360gb SSD. The dell is less expensive at about $760, while the HP is at $990. I'm kind of leaning towards the Dell, but I prefer the look and the IO of the HP. what do?

isnt the surface book 2 just a slightly better original surface book? Ive never really found mine to be lacking

If it has no HDD and if you can't add a HDD than it's shit and not worth any money.

i've had pic related surface pro 3 for 2 years now and i fucking love it more than any other computer i've had. mine is only an i3 but i got it new-in-box for only 560 in early 2016 off amazon.
i use it all day every day, the battery was at 900+ cycles the last time i checked and i still get 5 hours at 50% brightness. i have a dock and use it with a dual monitor desk setup, as well as hooked up to my tv on the couch with my knockoff bluetooth keyboard.
i thought surfaces were just a meme before i gave it a chance but it's worked out really fuckin well for me. it's nice to be able to switch from laptop to desktop to tablet randomly throughout the day or to switch input devices to whatever feels comfortable at the time (touchscreen, pen, wireless mouse, or touchpad on the keyboard)
i broke the screen in 2017 and replaced it myself, fuckin thing was 175$ but it wasn't really that hard to install

pic related's motherboard+cooling from when i had it apart

surface guts

Samsung Chromebook Plus
64-bit ARM CPU
2x A72 cores (meltdown)
4x A53 cores (immune)
390nit 2400x1600 12.3" touchscreen display
Stowable stylus
360 hinge
2x USB-C ports, charge from either
Headphone jack
MicroSD UHS-I reader
2.3lbs
Stowable stylus
10hr battery

GPL Coreboot boot loader
Easy to install GNU + Arch Linux on it
No binary blob bios backdoors like Intel ME, AMD PSP

Power down the A72 cores
Use FSF certified wifi dongle
Freedom

logmein actually works pretty well for this, i used to do inventory at a junkyard on an ipad over 3g connection to my office desktop for 7hrs at a time and it was totally usable

That's going to be a slow laptop

i use a surface pro 3 as a tablet a lot and it works pretty well. nice form factor for reading forums

I'm thinking about getting the surface book 2 (i5), is it worth getting it over a surface book 1? I heard there was hinge issues and they made it better in the SB2?

A surface book in tablet form weights less than a 10" tablet

Most people only use tablets to watch netflix, YouTube and surf the web a little. Battery life is most important. These 2 and 1 things are overpowered for that and have poor batteries.

i'm a big fan of the surface line but the top half of the surface books only has 3-4hrs max battery life. main reason i'll be upgrading to a surface pro 2017 over a sb1 or 2, is battery life in tablet mode

i made a thread the other day but got no replies. anyway, i think they are shit and will never buy one. also as i said in my thread, i have never seen anyone ever using one of these like in top left (or like a tent) in real life

But does it run Linux?

ive been happy with my asus t100 but i believe it's discontinued.

what she said

Inside a flat boi

I use mine like in the top left regularly. I'd even say I use it almost as much as I do in the laptop orientation. It's perfect for i"m laying in bed and want to watch shit or whatever, or when I'm using it as a second screen, usually for homework, next to my desktop.

get an Acer Spin 5. magnificent two in one.

Anything other than Surface and Samsung is complete trash

absolute useless gardbadge
unless:
-you really need a physical keyboard and have it passively sittting in tablet form the majority of the time for actual legit reasons
>this is where the reasoning ends for this shit
-you are a soyboy
-you need to show your nu-male friends your cool gadgetz only for jamal to steal it on your way back from the geek convention at the starbucks

It's not that expensive for what it is imo. There is literally nothing that comes close to it.

he F L A T T

can it run linux?

I love my Surface Pro 3, over 3 years later and it's the one laptop I don't regret buying

It can, but GNU works bad with touchscreens

I just want a motherfucking decent one that I can have a stylus equal to the Galaxy Note series on.
The closest I've found is the Galaxy Book but it's too small at 10.6"

I have a Lenovo Miix 320, pretty good for ~$200, however I've had serious trouble installing Linux on it, the normal screen orientation appears to be Portrait mode and the weird resolution seems to make X crash no matter the distro.

Are there any 2-in-1 smaller than 10"?

>alcantera and cum
Unironically asking, how can we solve this problem Sup Forums?

Use club soda on a microfiber cloth and clean gently.

I can NOT recommend you the lenovo miix pad. only 2-in-1 posess. Horrible build quality. Also of the 2 brand new computers I bought, the two have shit build quality (the other one is T470s). Planned obsolescence was a mistake. Meanwhile my 2002 x41 still works flawlessly. My advice: Don't buy anything made after 2011

Just won this Dell Inspiron 13 7000 (7368) with 8GB ram, no HDD no power cable for 180$CAD in total. Doesn't boot but I might know the issue. It sells for like 700$CAD on Kijiji, did I fuck up?

I mean doesn't power on not boot. I'll prob grab a 256GB ssd for it though for like 100$. Should be plenty.

>did I fuck up
Only if you can't fix the booting issue.

Ram itself should be worth at least 130$CAD, so I'll just hope for the best desu. Even if it doesn't work, I can just sell ram and the rest for probably profit.

I'm about to order the 15" HP Spectre x360 for nearly 2k, someone talk me out of it

store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-spectre-x360-convertible-laptop-15t-touch-1wb97av-1

Does Dell still make modular laptops and let you fuck with things like your RAM?
I know a lot of those new superslim notebooks have it directly on the board now so you can't actually remove or replace any of that shit

You can just remove the bottom panel and have access to the battery, the ram, etc. Same for SSD. Hence why I got it since it should be easier to fix.

If you're that on the fence about then dont. Or if you want it but dont want to pay that much for it, just get a lower spec model or the 13"

Or you can get the Dell Inspiron 5000. It comes with the same processor, the i7-8550U and a 250GB SSD, and 8GB of RAM. The one I was looking at on amazing was just under $800.

Removable tablet is better.
Just have to make sure you avoid models that are known to be particularly dodgy is all. (Like that Samsung one they keep putting on sale)
I got a Chuwi Hi13. I use it as a laptop mostly, but sometimes I remove the screen to play card games like Hearthstone or Star Realms on it.
But it can have those same positions in OPs pick (except maybe the top middle one) because the screen can go on backwards.

I got a Miix 320 too and I love it. Hiper portable thing, nice battery and keyboard, and 16:10 screen. Not a powerhouse, but gets things done on the go. 9/10 will spend 250€ again