Dumbphone thread

Dumbphone thread

Just ordered this stupid overpriced piece of crap because I could get the 3G version with a 33% discount.

Why do ya'll use dumbphones if you do? I don't do so all the time, but sometimes I like to take a break from "smart" portable devices. Makes me more likely read books rather than check news off twitter.

I'm waiting for the 4G version of this thing to come out. I'd love a dumb phone but a dumb phone that can serve as a wifi tether for my laptop if needs be is even better.

i tried a smartphone and i couldn't even drink my coffee in the morning without being a stupid zombie
so i switched back, and phone is again just a tool for basic contact

this

What’s the point when none of them support LTE and 3G/4G is dying

being less connected is better, especially if you work with computer all day

I don't know why everyone hates this phone. It cost me 50 dollars and does its job. It's a dumbphone for calls, that's all.Werks pretty good.

It was kinda expensive for what it was when it first came out.

Like 60 euros or USD for a 2G phone - that doesn't really do anything that the cheaper Nokias don't.

Now that they upgraded it with 3G and the price has maybe fallen to 30-50, it is an acceptable deal. The cheaper Nokias don't have 3G iirc.

t: I was disappointed initially but now bought the 3G 3310 for 38 euros

time to post my nokia 515 again
nokia needs to make an updated version of this, it came out in 2013

gorilla glass screen, even tho' it has no touchscreen and a metal body. the keyboard is glossy plastic, which is sort of shit.

i use it every day since it was launched and was for sale. i use a smartphone as a tablet with no sim card in it

is Sup Forums retarded or something. i fucking saw the filename before i posted

people hate the 3310 because it's a fucking meme piece of shit

wait, wasn't nokia sold to chinks at some point?

4g is literally lte

Do you guys know if there's a version with European languages? I'd really like to buy one for my grandma so she wouldn't have to suffer with the smartphone.

Totally agree, I still have a smartphone though since I like to take pictures all the time and it's a nice music player, but it doesn't have any app nor even a subscription.
The dumbphone is my main one

Is there a dumbphone with wifi thether option and really good audio quality? I hate my smartphone, but I can't work w/o phone and can't live w/o wifi thether and music. I'd just go with a portable router and pmp, but having 3 devices in my pockets... I'd rather not.

Um, no. LTE is 3.5g, LTE advanced is 3.75g.

LTE is better than 4G

It's rare for a smart phone to have decent audio quality, let alone a dumb phone. Carry a stand alone DAP.

As points out that Nokia is coming out with 4g and wifi tethering in a matter of weeks/months

I've been using this Nokia 225

I'm upgrading to the 3310 primarily for the 3G since 2G reception sucks at one location where I spend a lot of time

the keyboard looks similar as on yours, it really does suck major horsedick

Factually false. LTE still doesn't satisfy the requirements to be called 4g.

yeah, Lenovo P2 (which I currently use) has audio quality so bad I literally stopped to listening to the music on the go for a few months now.
1 week battery life though, I got kinda used to it.

I even tried some bluetooth recievers, but static noise on them was just as bad as the phone itself.

Understandable. I bought the 3G model also, but couldn't find it cheaper than 50.

Since I started carrying a dumb phone I've been less and less inclined to carry it in my pocket. The front-left pocket which did house my old phone now houses my DAP, and I keep my phone in my backpack most of the time, only checking it for messages or missed calls between classes when I have some downtime.

Mind you I'm a student I imagine that would be a less tenable approach if you were expected to be contactable for your job or some such

225 and the other similar ones are terrible plastic. see a video review of the 515

if nokia made an improved 515 i'd be all over that shit

not a dumbphone since it runs symbian, but I can get about the same use out of it in 2018 as I could a dumbphone. It gets the job done, but I was thinking about getting something new instead of """refurbished"""

Yeah, noticed this with alot of friends.We go out for beers or to watch a game and everyone has his head stuck in his phone doing fuck all.

I thought of getting a nokia like that, but then i remebered i'm a Scrooge and just can't justify switching from pic related.

Symbians are nice, as long as its a model with a decent battery.

Kinda like a dumbphone, but you could run joikuspot or something to tether, there's probably SSH clients, etc.

yeah, I have no real interest in running any 3rd party software. all I use it for is calling, texting, and taking shitty photos every once in a while.

Overpriced? Isn't that thing like $50?

the non-3g version was overpriced

>59 euros
>pretty much the same functionality as the Nokias half the price

that has changed desu

All of this.

I fucking hate how phone obsessed everybody is these days. I have both a smart phone (S7 Edge) and a dumb phone (3310), and if I could I would leave the S7 switched off, but I have to use it for work. I don't use any of the social platforms, unless you count Telegram, and I only use that because I run a team of engineers via the desktop version.

If ever I go anywhere outside of work time I just put the S7 on divert and take the 3310. Great thing is that I think I've only given that number to my girlfriend and that's about it. It's there more for in case I need to communicate with somebody.

3G/4G modem with usb or wireless tethering (europe)
A functional email client (doesn't need to support push I just fucking want to be able to receive/send mail)
Battery life of at least a week.
Preferably a flip phone or a bar.

Any recommendations?

>Nokia is coming out with 4g and wifi tethering in a matter of weeks/months

Sweet. Phones suck as computers unless you wrap them in a fucking lapdock then they still suck. My S4 exists for Waze, SMS and hotspotting for muh x200.

You're me.

Just get one of those ultra small chinese ones like soyes i6/i7. They're $50-60 on ali.

They have 2.4" screen making web browsing and watching videos super uncomfortable while you still have access to all modern tools and botnet when you really need it.

Dumbphone is a no go these days, really cripples your ability to get anything done.

That just means they're all bored with beers and watching games. Do something else.

I'd like a Nokia 230, but I use my damn maps app too much on my smartphone

I see it for ~50€ an Amazon. Considering that the shittiest entry-level smèrdephone is minimum 100€ that's a good deal for me.

>1 hour battery life

i had one of those it was a piece of gimmicky shit

Had one of those small chink phones, stopped using it because of no gps chip and really low earpiece volume.

Battery life was good on mine, had to root and kill some background shit that was causing wakelocks, would just about live through workday (some calls and IM).

It seems there are many different models now also with gps and lte.

Would really recommend to those with at least little tech knowledge to flash clean rom and root that want to escape the chains of modern smartphones.

Oh shit and forgot about a crucial detail.
GPS with maps.
TomTom makes great maps for low-powered devies like garmin watches and shit.
I wish they'd put that shit in a dumbphone.

Yeah
Are you implying chink botnet?

Are there any dumbphones with good slide out keyboards?

The one thing keeping me from making the switch is that I hate texting using a numpad.

Does it have a audio jack and how's the audio quality if it does have one?

That looks pretty neat as a music player with a built-in phone in case you need it.

Mine did have 3.5 jack but only used it with bluetooth headphones so I can't really tell anything about that.

Managed to get viper4android working. I'm into decaf and niggabass so this is one of the first things I install on any phone.

Your sentiment is correct, and LTE is 4G, but not all 4G is LTE. You think this until you buy a "4G" phone only to find it's WiMAX or HSPA+ rather than LTE.

>soyes
Literal soy phone

What would you even use the 3G for?

Probably dragging out the useful life of it another year as 2g and 3g networks shut down in the US.

>2G sunset for all major cell carriers is coming in December of 2019/some time in 2020 (with some exceptions for IoT devices)
>3G sunset for some major carriers (Verizon and T-Mobile, no word from AT&T yet) is also coming by the end of 2019
>cell carriers are already dropping 3G coverage in some areas to reuse those frequency bands for 4G
>in under 2 years, most all dumbphones will cease to function in most of the US
Do they even even make 4G dumb phones with full keyboards, or are you going to be forced to use a smartphone if you don't want to text on a number pad?

They don't make 4G dumb phones with just a number pad either. They all run Android.
Unless you import the newest pajeetphone, but chances are it won't work on the networks in the civilized world.

Two-weeks battery life and no (((whatsapp))) retardation. Peace of mind.

>4g dying
Being this fucking retarded

You could at least get a 4G smartphone with a number pad like the ZTE Cymbal.

I absolutely need my smartphone for these things:
Anki
Japanese dictionnary
Clover (k might not be THIS important)
GBC emulator /w bluetooth link cable
...wait a minute...
You really made me think here user. Might buy a dumbphone after all...Is the nokia's SAR smaller than a smartphone?
Really interested in getting one actually

Maps and gps is what I don't want dumb phones to have. That's what the tech nigfers use to make all the apps shitty tracking botnet software.

If you look on AliExpress or Gearbest you can get a dumbphone that's not much bigger than a credit card.

On some looking, there are 4G dumb phones available in flip and candy bar form factors (no sliders or anything with a full keyboard though so hopefully you don't like texting ;_;). There's even going to be a 4G version of the new Nokia phone in the OP soon. I wonder what I'm going to end up with since Verizon will be killing 2G and 3G next year and I can't bring non Verizon phones to my current carrier, hell I wonder if Verizon will still have the best coverage of rural areas at that point.

Pic related, but you're going to want to make sure they're compatible with your current carrier. I'd be using one if I wasn't on Verizon's network.

And how are they going to get that data from your dumb phone if you don't have a data plan or connect it to wifi?

>reading this thread on my smartphone while sitting in front of my computer

Verizon still has the best coverage in bumfuck nowhere Wisconsin.

Anki is better on your laptop anyway.
Use a dedicated device for emulation.
The jap dictionary tho... Maybe one of the clamshell classic ones?

people been calling for this for years, nokia refuses to do it. I dont think they will start now.

MACHO PHONE HAS ENTERED THE GAME.

It just werks.

>2G only
Not for long.

>tfw I'm a journalist and I need a smartphone on me all the time for work

iirc that sucked ans wasm't any more durable than traditional dumb phones

its already confirmed

>bluetooth link cable
Patrician taste right there

This is He Mingdi, not Nokia.

>"Dumbphone is a no go these days, really cripples your ability to get anything done."
>proceeds to buy the most useless cellphone on the market

this. it makes using it really uncomfortable but still can perform the tasks if needed
except you still have all the social networks, maps, can still look shit up if really needed, etc.
the point is to unplug from the matrix, not be listening to bullshit all the time
this and a super shitty camera are the only real objections to the idea

CAT phones just make you look like a toughboy wanna be

sounds like you need an old Nokia symbian smartphone with a new battery

plenty of models that can tether 3G at least via wi-fi, none with 4G though. plenty of models with GPS, too.

It is just for reception.

2G and 3G both probably have many years left where I live, but I spend time in places where 3G reception is good but 2G so bad that it sometimes doesn't work for calls.

Have fun paying for a data service you won't even be using. Seriously what's the lowest data cap you can buy in the United States of Burgerspics? A Nokia will only use up a 1000th of it.

Nigga please

if it connected to a battery with a charge, they can get your data

I have a dumbphone and a tablet with no carrier. Shit that I would do on a smart phone I'd rather do on a device that has a larger display.
Having a dumbphone also means that I have a device that connects to a fairly robust and mature infrastructure while being relatively durable and has a fairly long battery life that wouldn't get wasted on dumb shit.

(((journalist)))