I've never seen a Chromebook thread here

I realize they're a somewhat niche product, but they're pretty comfy.

>Good for uni and work, especially if you have a desktop workstation at home.

>Cheap

>Thin

>Run Android Apps

>Great Battery Life

Thoughts?
Just wondering what /g thinks about ChromeOS.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/HP-Stream-11-y020nr-Celeron-Personal/dp/B01JLCKPAC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518712194&sr=8-2&keywords=laptop new
lwn.net/Articles/738225/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Literally raped gentoo that got injected with 4 gigabytes of botnet. You can buy a thinkpad for most likely an even better deal and install a full operating system that works and doesn't have the intent of seeing how wide your asshole can be

last I checked they weren't cheap at all you you could get a netbook with the same shit specs for half the price

Only good one is the Asus C201, since you can Libreboot it and slap a fully free distro on it, and it runs ARM instead of x86 cancer.
Otherwise, it's all just crap.

/thread

Have one. Cost $60 on Craigslist. IPS screen and an i3, running Win10 and it's fucken solid with ~8 hrs battery. The paint and plastic is kinda cheap, though I don't exactly handle it gently.

ChromeOS is fine. It'll run the Office suite and watch YouTube which is 99% of a uni student's use case.

Fuck off.

>Just wondering what /g thinks about ChromeOS
Who the fuck cares what /r/gee thinks? Fuck this gay anime retards and fuck you!

I really like mine.

It's my travel and living room machine.

Chrome OS is simple and intuitive.
Makes it easy to cast to the Chromecast, hotkey over to the Lubuntu for some dev work when I need to.

Perfect little compact machine.

My Pixelbook is pretty comfy, note taking with a pen in windows is a fucking disaster.

It just werks

BIG QUESTION FOR Sup Forums:

Is it true that you can reflash the coreboot with a different payload to allow for the wiping of ChromeOS and the installation of a regular GNU/Linux distro to the internal SSD?

What you are referring to as ChromeOS is in fact BotnetOS.

Nice quads but botnets help establish a benign metadata profile. If you were really smart you wouldn't leave an obvious discrepancy by avoiding them but carefully craft an innocent profile then be whatever you are using secure-ish methods.

Of course that takes work, unlike squalling bawtnet like an edgy fag. NSA and anyone else who cares pwns Sup Forums. yfw we have to access Russian archives to relive when Sup Forums was good.

fpbp

You can buy Windows 10 (or without OS) similar laptop with similar battery live.
Chrome OS is useless by itself, more GNU is required.

yar, someone installed GalliumOS earlier on /g

>gay anime retards
>on anime board
Sup Forums never changes

Isn't that sideloaded on an sd card or some shit, or am I thinking of something else?
Ideally, I would want ChromeOS to be G O N E.

On some units. Goto coreboot for specifics. You can also live boot from a flush-mount USB.

>never seen a chromebook thread
>I wish I was this new

Usually yes. Chromebooks are actually very secure against firmware attacks since they have a physical write protect switch or screw, but once that's gone you can reflash.

They're literal pieces of dogshit.
>chrome browser with apps
>some shitty linux distro nobody's ever heard of
>shit specs
>overpriced
>literally worse than chink celery tablets for the same price

>runs android apps
But does it really? Would i have any trouble playing my games i have on my phone on the laptop without installing an android emulator?

>I've never seen a Chromebook thread here

So this is your first time on Sup Forums then. Go back to >>>r/eddit, shit stick.

Literally no one cares.

>ARM
You can't run x86-64 apps here. Native GNU/Linux are not an issue, because they can be ported/compiled for ARM easily, but fucking Wine...

Why do you need a chromebook, when you can buy this amazon.com/HP-Stream-11-y020nr-Celeron-Personal/dp/B01JLCKPAC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518712194&sr=8-2&keywords=laptop new

This was the pic posted in some earlier threads. I'm not 100% sure, but from his posts he seemed to imply that it was installed internally replacing chrome os.

>using wine
>on a libre system

You're a special kind of retard.
Also, why use wine in the first place?

Because some people might need a program that is only available on Windows? Excel is used pretty widely on an enterprise level.

>excel
>not using libreoffice
>what are VMs?
>why would you use Libreboot in the first place?

You know, some people have stuff to do. On VM or Wine, and there are some Windows-specific programs, like ms office for example. You might say, I don't need it, I have LibreOffice, but it sucks hard at *.docx and *.doc, and I have to use fucking *.doc because other retards do.

Read my reply at

Libre office calc is garbage compared to excel and has no add-in compatibility. I don't like this either, but you need to accept that excel is superior and it's required in many companies today.
Setting up an entire VM instead of just running one or two programs through WINE is a waste of time, resources, and space.

Yep. That is right.
I don't care much about 'free as speech' in software. If stuff is done better with proprietary - I'll use that, because my nerves are much more expensive. LibreOffice is not as good as MS Office in MS Office docs. So, I'll use Wine+MS-Office, but it requires x86 CPU, because there are no office for ARM. And Wine doesn't emulate x86. That is why ARM is useless for me at this point. (Maybe Wine can in Windows RT apps, but I highly doubt in it)
Why not to run Windows - because it is not a 'free as free time', fucking forced updates and BSODs take more time, than it takes to use GNU/Linux.

Unless it has adreno or a vivante graphics it's useless.
It will never run with upstream mali/kernel

Or I could wait and get one used cheap then the real fix would be installing Gentoo. That might be a reason to use Gentoo beyond memes.

Reminder that there is only one fucker standing between us and a libre Mali driver:
>Torvalds asked about the status of the Mali GPU driver; Bergmann responded that there had been one person working on reverse-engineering that device, but he didn't work well with other developers. Now somebody else is making progress with the older GPUs, but nobody is working on current-generation devices. It was said that everybody within ARM is in favor of solving the problem by open-sourcing ARM's driver — except for one recalcitrant high-level manager.
lwn.net/Articles/738225/

Do you even understand what is the point of Libreboot?

REEEEEE

Protecting your privacy is not all or nothing. You can try to minimize information leakage, but still use some proprietary software out of necessity.

To enavle dev mode u have to remove a physical protevtion that is a bridge on the motherboard. After it emable the acces to bios and then install gallium or chosing boot device.
Most of the os are not friendly with chromebookhardware. Gallium instead yes. I think mint with a isb aldo worked.
I want to install tails os in a sd though idk how much that would be a meme.
Im a paranoidpoorfag and ended up with a chromebook so i think its the only solution for me.

I think you'll find is a large degree of difficulty involved with getting Excel sheets with VB components to work in Libre Office.

Excel is really the only game in town

Despite that people are still shipping 400/450 socs which are from like 09' in new sbcs/phones/tablets/set-top boxes so I say we can blame the SoC OEMs and board manufacturers just as equally.

If rockchip, broadcom, and amlogic put 5% of their profits together to reverse engineer the 4xx series 70% of devices would be supported over night.

They just shovel out new socs with the same GPU though and don't care about upstream.

We will still see new devices shipped this year with the 4xx series mali just watch.

It is not about privacy alone, it's more about freedom.

Well, guess what? I don't need that crap either way...

also mediatek and allwinner since they shill mali too

>Setting up an entire VM instead of just running one or two programs through WINE is a waste of time, resources, and space.

I used to think that too, but i got a minimal win 10 ltsb VHD vm state i use across all my machines now and it was definately lfar ess effort than fucking around with wine on all of them

Okay?

But many of us do.
We're not all just shitposting NEETs or students.

So don't act like a contrite little faggot about people needing to use Excel and not wanting to touch Libre Office

Then why would you give a fuck about Libreboot in the first place?

You can use simple draw, or pen & PDF.
What do you use?

Squid

FPBP and also agree /thread

>overpriced
Retard.

I have a Toshiba Chromebook 2, love it to death.
Put GalliumOS on it that shit and it runs like a charm.

Office 2016 werks in Wine

I installed arch on a Acer C720p , its ok once you de-fuck it

>ChromeOS
I've never tried the actual OS. But I do have an opinion on Chromebooks: They are overpriced garbage, pure trash with horrible bang for the buck. They are absolutely not worth buying.

I picked a random Chromebook in a local webshop just illustrate what I mean. It's got the typical "N3350 / 4GB / 32GB SSD" configuration. Then I looked at standard laptops at the same price-point and see "i5-8250U / 6GB / 128GB SSD".

I get that a Chromebook could get away with a less powerful CPU and RAM and storage - but it would have to cost half of - not the same as - other similar computers.

Sorry, Google, you're not Applel. You can't get away with half the specs for the same or higher price.

This is bullshit: the post
Most Chromebooks don't exceed $250

$250 = 2000 SEK. All Chromebooks exceed $250. There's exactly zero Chromebooks that cost $250 or less.

Your country may vary. :)

Bought a Acer CB3-131 chromebook two years ago brand new for $160 CAD. Removed the screw and flashed it with GalliumOS. Haven't looked back. The build quality is solid and it makes for an ideal secondary computer after my desktop.

It has survived 6 foot drops on numerous occasions. Coffee spilled on the lid with none getting to the keyboard. The keyboard has good depth all keys feel punchy.

Would purchase again. Just put Gallium on it and enjoy a new inexpensive machine.

>It's the Chromebooks fault my countries taxes are so high!
lmao
Calling Chromebooks expensive is not an argument. Consider moving to a first world country.

Wow, this shill thread is popping up daily now.

Kindly fuck off.

It wasn't my argument, feel free to re-read. My argument is that other computers have much better specs at the same price-point.

It should be obvious that a Chromebook with N3350 / 4GB / 32GB SSD is a bad buy compared to a Windows computer with i5-8250U / 6GB / 128GB SSD when the price is the same. I install GNU/Linux first thing so I don't really care about the OS, I care about the specs. It's pretty obvious that a 8250U is faster than a N3350 and it's also obvious that 32 GB is less than 128 GB. If you still don't get it then you should probably kill yourself instead of arguing a lost cause.

The only reason you have that argument is because your country has weird import taxes which causes the Chromebooks to be a bit higher than what they would normally be.
If you, by chance, lived in a country that was first world and had a proper economy, then you would be able to reap the benefits of Chromebooks.

What's a good touchscreen laptop for picture editing and e-book DLing/XFRing?

thinkpad x220t

You can dualboot it or completely wipe CrOS.

>unsing wine to run x86 apps on ARM
Did you mean QEMU? Wine can't do that

Can I put a phone sim card in these and have internet everywhere since they use android ?

the lack of ram (8gb in current shitty js and electron days is minimum) and abilty to add ssd is sad.
Unil then i will use old hp elitebook 2570p i353520m