Replay gain based on albums

>Replay gain based on albums
>Fine with lossless but the whole library is not at an even sound level, and when converted to lossy it can fucking clip bc of an album-wide adjustment being used

>Replay gain based on tracks
>Even sound level of 89db across your entire library, when converted to lossy will sound perfect and not clip since the normalization adjustment was made per-track

Tell me Sup Forums, why do people recommend album-based replay gain instead of track-based replay gain

Manually tune for each song.

>Replay gain
>Clipping
Even to lossy a source that’s not supposed to happen. I’m gonna take a wild guess and say you are using some kind of Apple device, synced from iTunes, with Sound Check turned on. Turn Sound Check off and tell me it still clips (it won’t)
t. applel user who had the same thing happen to him

absolute madman

Why don't people normalize their files? It's not 1995 anymore. The CPU power required to multiply every sample by a number and reencode back to flac is trivial. A 32 bit ARM can do it at about 60x iirc.

Open up a DAW and modify the waveform appropriately then export it to whatever format you want

user, holy shit thank you.
I don't have to re-convert my entire library now. It sounds like it should.

I feel like a fucking idiot.

>applel user
not big surprise

Archiving, user. When you normalize you mess with the waveform, not a "true" archival copy anymore (which is the only real reason to use FLAC)
Also OP is in-fact normalizing, just with lossy output, presumably for mobile devices.

Replaygain doesn't normalize permanently, it's a tag in the metadata which compatible players can use to adjust level on the fly.

why are those always middle aged to old age men who lost most of their hearing due to age anyways?

The other user is saying why don't we normalize FLACs permanently instead of just using Replay gain tags.
As far as OP, Apple devices do not support Replay gain tags natively, and it sounded fine for OP playing back losslessly, it was only clipping in lossy playback, and turning off sound check fixed the issue for him. I had the same exact thing happen to me when I converted my FLAC library to AAC for my iPhone, with Replay gain set to processing mode (ie the changes were written to the output file permanently) but the normalized output + the fact that the tags from Replay gain stay in the file (at least when using foobar) somehow fucks with iTunes' sound check.

>not a "true" archival copy anymore
Who cares? There's a dozen multiplications between the instrument and your ears. The ones after digitization just happened to be lossless.

>Also OP is in-fact normalizing, just with lossy output, presumably for mobile devices.

Fine transcoding back to lossy is also computationally trivial and if done correctly transparent. This is a solved problem.

>This is a solved problem.
well yes for this thread now it is, but the problem here was because of apple fuckery and nothing to do with the normalization process of replay gain

Why would you transcode to normalize? Do you really hate your data this much? Normalization also takes EQ into account, so you should renormalize your stuff if you changed EQ.

...mobile devices?

?????????????????

*apple devices
iphone, ipod, etc

Why would you use this crap?

most apple devices released in the last few years that actually have a 3.5mm output have excellent onboard DACs that are equal to or even beat external powered DACs that autists on Sup Forums like to carry around in their cargo jorts

>well yes for this thread now it is
This has been solved since consumer CPUs could do audio encoding. Using shit music players well that's horses and water.

So you're using not just any apple crap but OLD apple crap, wow.

autists like you dont take into consideration people that just want to download music and play it right away without worrying about fiddling with shit like "normalization"
>what the fuck is a replaygain? just lemme listen to justin beiber
i have to wrestle with this every day as i work at a large music distribution company as an audio engineer
it is hell but i enjoy hell

What player?

Neutron.

>autists like you dont take into consideration people that just want to download music and play it right away

I do take that in to consideration along with the fact that half the population has a double digit IQ. e.g. you projecting autism, a brain disorder, on someone with an actual solution vs relying on shit software to interpret some half supported metadata.