Betamax

>Betamax
>SuperBetamax
>DAT
>MiniDisc
>UMD
>Bluray is a "win," but can barely compete with DVD and digital and Sony essentially forced it by supporting it on PS3 at a loss.
>UHD Bluray has extremely slow adoption and will likely fail since most users stream. PS4 Pro doesn't even have a UHD player.
How can one company be so bad at making consumer formats? Their pro stuff gets adopted usually but everything else they make besides the Trinitron and game consoles fails.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_70_mm_films
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Optical media has reached a dead end.

They also co-created CDs, the most popular physical media format of all time. It was used for music, movies, software, console games, you name it.

yeah but it's a good dead end. UHD Blu Rays are the same quality, if not better, than what you see in a fucking movie theater. If that's not the quality ceiling for home entertainment in our lifetime then I literally cannot even imagine what is

Sony R&D has always been batshit insane. You're only scratching the surface of weird things Sony released that never caught on

I still don't get how their English speaking marketers let "Betamax" go through. What an awful name for a product
>The Virgin Beta
>The Chad VHS

Yeah but I don't think there will be 8K optical media. The 4K meme is on phones now. The 2020 Olympics will be broadcast in 8K. I expect the screens in the shops by summer next year. Then 4K is the new 1080p.

MiniDisc shouldn't have died

Only failed in Western markets. The Japanese eat up all of those formats, including Memory Stick Duo.

>DAT
Would've been great if music studios didn't go apeshit about >muh lossless copies

>Bluray is a "win," but can barely compete with DVD and digital and Sony essentially forced it by supporting it on PS3 at a loss.
PS3 was going to be sold at a loss regardless if it had a blu-ray player or not as it's Cell processor and GPU was pretty ahead of there time

>UHD Bluray has extremely slow adoption and will likely fail since most users stream. PS4 Pro doesn't even have a UHD player.
UHD streaming is dogshit plain and simple, UHD blu-ray will stick around because people don't want to watch shitty bit starved netflix streams

Yeah Japan is weird. Laserdisc, CD Video, and Video CD were all popular in Asia but flopped horribly in the west. People just loved VHS, recording TV is something that optical discs were inferior at, now at least we have digital TV recorders.

Should be interesting since most ISPs still have bandwidth quotas, even if it's often a soft quota. Most people would burn through an entire month streaming a couple 8K films, though I suppose the compression would be so bad that it might as well be 1080p

Because they were all too expensive and less practical

For what it's worth, Betamax became a de facto standard in TV production.

Most of these standards flopped in the consumer realm because Sony thought it could license them to its rivals for a pretty penny. Instead, those companies chose standards that were open or designed as a group effort. The exception to this in recent memory would probably be HD-DVD.

>4K is the new 1080p.
bullshit
aside from about a dozen films, all media is recorded and mastered at 4k or lower. Nobody is going to give a fuck about media made in 2020 or later, especially in a home format where it's literally impossible to tell the difference
maybe when VR is 8k per eye virtual theaters will be able to play 4k video, but even then virtual home cinema with 8k video would require 16k per eye
we'll see 8k video in the home in fucking 2040

>4K is the new 1080p

>most ISP's still have bandwidth quota
most ISP's in the USA still have bandwidth quota*

t. faggot

>aside from about a dozen films, all media is recorded and mastered at 4k or lower.
Professionals record at 6k or 8k.

4k is the standard for even cheap TVs today, 8k will be a thing in a few years.

And no one cares about VR.
>UHD streaming is dogshit plain and simple
still better than 1080p.

MiniDisc was ahead of it's time and if Sony didn't fuck up the licensing it would be still around.

>i-iTunes will k-kill CD's believe me

Only because normies in first world countries are awful

>1080p streaming is absolute shit
it is still better than 360p though

UHD blu-rays are here to stay, because no streaming platform will have all popular movies due to licensing issues. They also offer way better quality than any streaming service (at the moment).

I doubt the concept of beta was so widely proliferated when they were releasing that shit. Most people were too busy trying to avoid getting their arms chopped off at horseless carriage plant.

>8k will be a thing in a few years.

The people complaining about 4k bitrates are just screenlets who either don't have 4k screens.
hi samefag

What?
Most of those formats are objectively good and usually better then competition.
Actually Sony's formats are study subject how better doesn't always win in the consumer markets.

It already happened you mongoloid. Streaming services were just the nail in the coffin. There is literally no reason to buy physical media in 2018.

t. 4K cucks

>screenlets
>The people complaining about 4k bitrates are just screenlets who either don't have 4k screens

>1996 - 480p
>2003 - 720p
>2006 - 1080p
>2016 - 2160p
>2026 - 4320p
8k will probably be the last consumer format. Only real way to go is higher framerates so you can get the holodeck feel.

>who either don't have 4k screens.

I can see the difference of compressed vs uncompressed 4k on my cheap ass 1080p screen. bitrate matters.

>You can't buy music CD's anywhere anymore
I don't know what kind of shithole you live in but I still can buy music CD's of my favorite bands. Enjoy your shit quality DRM ridden MP3's.

>DRM ridden MP3's.

MP3s don't have DRM.

>I can see the difference of compressed vs uncompressed 4k on my cheap ass 1080p screen. bitrate matters.

But you can't see the advantage of 4k.

CD is totally dead

>the advantage of 4k

>Optical media has reached a dead end.
your scene rips don't make themselves

CDs would be dead if places like Amazon/iTunes/google actually served lossless as they have nearly everything you could want but as it stands those places don't serve lossless for almost any of there music if at all.

>but muh placebo bitrate

If I had a choice of paying $10 for a CD or $10 for a inferior digital copy, I'm not going to be the retard that pays for the inferior digital product

>Professionals record at 6k or 8k
and master at 4k
here is a list of films shot in 70mm film
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_70_mm_films
these are the only ones capable of being mastered at a resolution higher than 4k
so what content will there be in 8k in 2020?
a) the olympics
b) 2-3 movies, if that
yeah 8k is really going to take the market by storm...
>still better than 1080p.
bull fucking shit it is. The bitrate is abysmal and unless you spent over $1k on your TV the HDR quality is fucking garbage
blu rays looked better on a plasma TV ten years ago than Stranger Things does on 90% of 4k HDR screens sold today

>paying for music

I only buy from Bandcamp because they have FLAC. Fuck Jewgle Play for charging CD prices for 320kbps mp3.

35mm film easily gets over 12MP

>FLAC

Yeah because it matters at all.

Fuck anyone ever for charging physical prices for digital content.

DAMNIT SONY
BLURAY MINIDISCS
WE WANT
BLURAY MINIDISCS
GIVE US
BLURAY MINIDISCS

NOWWWWWW

yeah fuck no. For film they will never do higher than 4k transfers and that's that
the number of 8k films 10 years from now will be in the dozens at best. It's not going to be adopted for home media use for a very long time

I'd be shocked if 8k ever got adopted before a significantly better panel technology got developed.

4k at 50" is pretty damn good for a TV.

>VR is 8k per eye
The video source doesn't need to be 8K, but the screen does need to be 8K to mitigate the screendoor effect. I'm sure most people would be happy to see blurry or aliased shit in place of screendoor if they had the option.

it is, and sizes larger than that are not cheap enough for anyone but the highest end consumers
I'm not talking about the screen door effect at all, retard
I'm talking about the size of a screen necessary for the jump from 4k to 8k to matter
televisions as we know it are maxed out at 8k. In order for 8k to matter, you need to see it in a movie theater. In order to have a movie theater in your home, it needs to be virtual
in order for an 8k virtual theater screen to exist, you need 16k per eye in the VR headset

Didn't hear what Best Buy is planning to do with their cd aisles.

>In order for 8k to matter, you need to see it in a movie theater.
It's not about size, it's about how much of your FoV it takes up. 8k would be great for 50"+ PC displays.

The only true dead end for optical media is Ultraviolet media. It's the last thing on our color spectrum.

>8k would be great for 50"+ PC displays

Sure that's as small of a wavelength that you can go optically but there's also holographic storage, advancements could always be made there

>There is literally no reason to buy physical media in 2018
I'm not going to rent my media, be dependent on Internet access, nor pay for downloads.

We get it. You hate high resolutions because you're poor, and you post low quality memes because you have no arguments.

>We get it. You hate high resolutions because you're poor, and you post low quality memes because you have no arguments.

damn right, they had the killer app for physical media back then. Cheap, small, rugged, hi-fi, fast dubbing

it was all benefit no loss. then sony couldnt stand for anyone to succeed and threw salt on themselves.

I'm waiting for the day that we can treat raster screens like vector ones. Bring on DPIs where resolution becomes effectively arbitrary.

UHD BluRay DRM requirements are too damn retarded