Plan9

what do you think about plan9?

anyone with experience using it?

Wish it didn't die

I tried 9front which is the recent development from a fork of it. It looks neat but the user interface takes time to get used to.

The main problem is the lack of software.
The advantage is that the attack surface is tiny and the use is microscopic so malware authors are unlikely to take an aim at this one.

Redox-OS is another interesting choice.

If Bell labs wasn't such a shit show in the 90s we'd all run inferno and be happier

I have used plan 9 but it was quite a while ago so cant remember much about it.
you might be interested in "harvey", which, I believe is a more recent and 64 bit version of plan 9
harvey-os.org

Great kernel, shit userland, port GNU.

Harvey looks like the most serious project so far.
>Harvey is a member of Software Freedom Conservancy
Now I am sure they are serious.

>If Bell labs wasn't such a shit show
story?

shit meme tier OS
nothing to see here move along

Even GNU/Hurd has a better chance with Guix package manager than Plan9/9Front.

Install gentoo

Management always fucking everyone over, not allocating marketing resources, and then selling to fucking Alcatel jewcent

Harvey is a meme.
9front is the de-facto standard Plan 9.

I've seen 9front and they look like the meme, Harvey on the other hand looks more serious

Harvey looks serious, but their efforts are mostly to port gnushit to p9.
9front looks like a meme, but they've done the most useful work out of all p9 forks/patchsets/etc. They've greatly improved hardware support, filesystems, the crypto stack, etc all without compromising the system's good design. Just read their changelogs.

Stop being an sjw, porting GNU is a good step even if temporary. The stepping stone to make it usable. You can worry later about muh purism.

But it's an experimental operating system. The whole point was to try to do it a different way. Why would you want to bring UNIX tools, and consequently those paradigms, into an environment deliberately designed to be dissimilar from them?

Is there any serious development in the GNU/hurd going on? At all?

My keyboard doesn't work when I boot the installer.

>Stop being an sjw
I don't think you're using that phrase correctly.
>porting GNU is a good step even if temporary. The stepping stone to make it usable. You can worry later about muh purism.
It's not about purism. Plan 9 isn't going to become as popular as the BSDs even. That's a non-goal. It doesn't need to be "more useable"; the community already uses it daily alongside other systems.
Porting the GNU toolchain is a large (and pointless endeavour), as most of the current p9 community dislikes it anyway. Kencc was designed with the p9 environment in mind and it's a pleasure to work with.