/pmp/ - portable music player

/pmp/ personal music player general
This thread is for the discussion portable mp3/FLAC/OGG Vorbis players.
>inb4 phone

Useful Guide(s)
• The General /pmp/ Guide has been updated again, thanks to your efforts → spit.mixtape.moe/view/fefcb363
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide
iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Rockbox 3.14 released, significant battery increase compared to 3.13. The battery increase was from the cpu scaling patches, which has been available on dev builds for a (long) while.
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Previous Thread ⤑

I have a phone

cool I guess

>Sansastark clip +
>iPod nano 2nd generation

Rockbox makes these god-tier for me.

Now THIS is an old meme.

Can you recommend a fiio m3?
Need something cheap

thanks for the laugh

Just picked up a 30GB 5G video, should I install rockbox on the hard drive and use until it dies or go for the sd card mod straight away?

depends whether you have 30 or more gigabytes of music to put on it.

Can someone tell me why you wouldn't just use your phone

He was an hero to us all.

Not right now. Is there a performance advantage in the sd card?

I've been enjoying my MZ-N70!
I got a windows xp virtual machine on my laptop so i can use sonic stage, and it's a whole lot nicer than real-time recording and manually labeling tracks.

ah the good ol days...

lel that brings back memories

iRiver e10 reporting in

i have this thing but i dont have the charger so i have never tried to use it.

It's faster and wastes less battery iirc

How's the durability of the Clip Zip been for everyone? I've had mine since 2012 and last year some of the buttons stopped working properly. They don't always register button presses the first time I try. Anyone else had this happen?

Plenue D is almost perfect if not for shitty sorting algorithm and no gapless for m4a

I hate your shitty general but +1 for the ancient meme

Mainly because my headphones won't properly work with me phone, but they do with my pmp. Also more battery life for music and my phone.
I would at least check battery life and decide to maybe get a new one. You will need a thicker back case for the full mod. I have one and battery died and went with only the battery mod since I don't need that much space (v0 is fine since Its transcoded from lossless). I do have some flacs on it but because I think the particular album deserves it.
That may be repaired depending on what is happening there. I assume it took a hit from the floor, right? 6 years is good, my 3ds has 7 years in it and I had to repair it like once, my ipod classic has like 10 years or so and only had to repair it once because of my crazy ex
It does seem nice my friend, can it become wearable? Seems like it could.

>That may be repaired depending on what is happening there. I assume it took a hit from the floor, right?

No, it's not really damaged in any way. It's just some kind of wear due to use, I think. The buttons still have the clicky feel when pressed.

It might just be dirty

Yeah, and if it is just wear that also is fixed easy

Who /rockbox/ here?

>and only had to repair it once because of my crazy ex
Are you the same user from the last thread?

Yes I am.

I am checking prices of used ipods everyday so eventually I'll find a good deal. Is it difficul to open and replace battery/add storage?

The hardest part's opening the case and that just takes a little work with a spudger

It really depends on the model. 1st through 4th are easy, 5th is a bit hard, and the "classic" generations are harder.

I'm mainly looking for >5th gen so well
ok thanks, I guess a little patience should do the job

> Is it difficul to open and replace battery/add storage?
Depends on the model. Some are just kinda hard and some are extremely hard. Generally, the newer the harder. Nanos aren't worth it.

iPod mini is the only one that can truly be called easy iirc

Cayin N5 is the best,
two SD card slots and looks damn smart.

Because if some negro steals my phone he won't get my music and vice versa

too expensive

Not that hard, be careful and patient. Mostly be careful. I just changed a battery on a 5th gen one

Also, what are the benefits of installing rockbox in it? Besides flac and such, I mean, I'm kinda used to the interface (more than 10 years) and haven't bothered with rb, but I see its shilled a lot

I saw a refurbished one with a new battery at like 70 on eBay the other day, parts4pods or something like that was the seller. You could also check on third world countries for one, since they usually sell it for less (I paid 20 for a full functional one when I went to Colombia, still works just fine).

And no, be careful and maybe watch a tutorial on YouTube. When they say it's hard, it's because it's easier to fuck it up. Buy the battery packs with tools and you will be set

looks cheap and chinky

>better eq
>video playback
>foss
>doom & other games (even a couple of emulators)
>ricing
the list goes on

that seriously looks like something from the '90s, I love it.

Are there any crypto implementations for securely storing passwords on a Rockboxed device?

Not that I remember

fixed your ipod yet?

just out of interest, why would you need this functionality?

Yes, I got an used one locally for cheap and replaced the screen. Not in perfect condition, but it doesn't bother me that much. Costed me like $15. Thanks

Does it consume much more battery than stock firmware?

I love her so much, but I am thinking of getting a ipod classic, wat do? What are the benefits?

Rockbox and better battery life

Good evening.

How does it fit in your pocket? It's so big!

Have it on my scp, thankfully it dual boots because I got fed up with its shit so I just end up booting to stock these days

an meme ive not seen in a long time. an long time.

What's your battery life like?

Still rocking my sansa clip+

moar storage

After reading the op, I found my old ipod nano 2g and rockboxed it. Cool. I guess. Back into the drawer it goes.

can anybody read japanese? do you know if onkyo will refresh the x1-a this year like they are doing with the s1?

also recommendation for a nice pmp with dual headphone jack output around the level of the x1?

budget

It really doesn't. Best way I found to use it while walking is to keep it in a backpack or similar, and just use the bluetooth remote to control it.

>can anybody read japanese? do you know if onkyo will refresh the x1-a this year like they are doing with the s1?
The message in that pic doesn't have anything to do with new release information. I'm pretty sure the DP-X1A was just released last year (~Q2), so I doubt there will be another refresh in 2018.

This

That small Daki keychain is so cute OwO. Where did you get it?

we all have a phone but having a dedicated device is still nice

That pic was taken when I was waiting for my laundry to finish at my hotel in Akiba... Need I say more? lol

what should I convert my files to? They are mostly FLAC.

v0

This. There is a reason is the most popular format on lots of music trackers

If anything i noticed the battery lasting a bit longer. (playing mp3 with flac playback things probably look a bit different)

sound quality wise, is an ipod better then something new like a shanling m1 or a cayin n3?

Thoughts on sony minidisk?

My sister has a Sansa Clip Zip which I installed Rockbox on a really long time ago. I live in another country right now, so I can't update the software for her, is there a way to do it in a very simple way, like just dropping a file in the root directory and then booting it up?

kino

People (me included) feel the wolfson of some ipods sounds better.

Old rockbox did, current does not. For example It does turn off the display when on hold, whereas stock leaves it on (slightly but on) (at least on me ipod). It's also reversible, you can boot on stock while on rock box and use your old library so whatever.

There is a skin that is like that interface. The main thing rockbox has over stock is that you can just drag and drop your music on it via USB, no program needed, and it would check for it.

Rockbox has an installer app that can update the software and download other skins. I think it can even install the bootloader. If rockbox is on it already you don't need to do that.

Shit for most people, fine for me. I have this one for over 2 years so battery isn't as good as it used to be.

No it's not. It's just another electronic device yo don't need.

Rockbox gave new life to my busted iPod classic 6gen and my iPod mini v2. I work in a room that doesn't allow cell phones, and the rest of the retail available MP3 players suck ass. But my iPod classic works perfectly, vanilla battery 18ish estimated hours of audio playtime with the brightness dimmed.

just like a phone

Yeah maybe if you never leave your basement.

Sounds like you've got the downs. Retard.

Pretty good if you want a linear format. There is almost no reason to ever use such a thing but if it solves a specific problem you have then go for it.

Guys, I'll ask here and on /csg/ since I think it's related to both. I know my ipod 5th gen has a video output to vga, a friend years ago owned the cable. Would getting a 30 pin to hdmi adapter work to play videos on TV with that function ? Or would just mounting in via USB to the TV work better? Thanks in advance

sansaclip+ with 330mAh battery and rockbox
iPod video with iFlash quad µSD pcb and rockbox (and diyMOD soon as well)

rockbox has become a must have for my DAPs

Not shilled if it's sincere users spreading the word. The biggest plus for me is adding drag and drop music management to iPods. Fuck iTunes, you can just add music directly to the drive. Plus flac, album art, brightness settings, easy shuffle and repeat toggles, better battery, better codecs, sleep timers, and more.

Never convert to lossy. Unless you're keeping the original flac and using the MP3 for shoving on a device with little space

OPUS

Drag and drop seems nice enough. I'll look into the skin you mention. Since I read you get dual boot, I can keep using my ipod as a backup video player.
Yes, or if the pc has little space itself. You can try a really compressed lossless, but well. Minimum of 192 or v2-3 for me, anything with less quality of a direct transcode from lossless and I can tell (and am bothered by) the quality drop

Where are said easy toggles? Stock firmware has it in main menu, which I want to do on rockbox but I can't find how.

My ex gfs iPod classic is a 120 GB slim, she lent me a few years ago, moved overseas and forgot to ask it back from me.

¿Can I install rockbox respecting her music library etc? In case she wants it back

Is it safe? Official rockbox is for version 5 and lower

Can I make a backup of her data and just restore from that if I fuck the installation?

I don't have her iTunes account. Yes, Jamal etc but if that was the I'd just flip it in Craigslist/gumtree/local classifieds

Just back up the iPod_control hidden folder before you do anything

>¿
Give it back, el brayan

A seller on craigslist says sometimes a track wont write to an ipod t gen, or write very slowly. Is this a 99% drive problem?

Yes, just replace it with flash storage

Loled at this pic

give it back el kevin

An hero!

I've got an iPod with a busted hard drive. What's the least I can spend to make a working Rockbox player?

$5-$30

Are iPods with Rockbox the dap/pmp equivalent of ThinkPads with Linux?

Yes

>not using both question marks
¿Are you retarded?