/RYZEN/ - Ryzen/Zen General

Why is this so based?

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/241559/amd-provides-support-for-bios-update-on-2nd-gen-ryzen-boot-kit-available
thinkmate.com/system/a -ultra-superserver-1023us-tr4
broadberry.co.uk/amd-epyc-rackmount-servers
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It saved AMD from bankruptcy, a successful implementation of MCM. A great piece of engineering, while you can argue it may not be as good as its Intel counterparts, it definitely deserves its place in the market, and benefits consumers as a whole.

Based Mommy and Jim.

>Why is this so based?

I don't know. Can you tell me? I need a cpu and was looking at the Ryzen 7 1700.

Cores for days.

>8 cores, 16 threads at near 4 giggahurtz without breaking the bank
>socket will be supported by at least two, if not more, of its successors so in a few years I can upgrade my CPU with a BIOS update and a drop-in replacement

see

I have a intel 4790(not k) i got for free and built a PC around that, if i didn't get that i would've 100% gone ryzen, funny though I'm though i used to just really hate ryzen because when it first came out Sup Forums threads were nothing but shilling for it and it just got really annoying, i looked it up and saw it was actually pretty good so i stopped hating ryzen and just started hating the people who would make 4 or 5 threads every 2 minutes about it

>Funny though im though
Fuck me man, just ignore the 'im though'

>beat by 7700

2x spped for 2x price?
i better stay with my FX

>Why is this so based?
Because it gave "power users" what we needed, a step up from the same rehashed 4c i7. Yes intel HEDT has been available all this time, but at extreme prices. Ryzen brought $1000 of performance down to $400 in a single product release.

It also forced intel to make good CPUs again, coffee lake is also the first thing worth upgrading from sandy for. It singlehandedly brought AMD back from the brink of destruction and saved the market for both AMD and intel customers.

All good.

>ryzen7 launch
We're remembering this slightly differently. It was two days of nonstop video game benchmarks, mostly fcprimal and tomb raider from Intel shills.

zen+ wen

>based
>thrashed by Coffee Lake for gaming
>thrashed by Skylake-X for productivity

It's a good budget option for people who can't afford the best, but that's about it. Exactly what AMD has always been.

|>
|x
|

>>thrashed by Skylake-X for productivity
>what is threadripper
>what is product segmentation
>what is comparing nVidia GT1030 to Vega 64

Yes goy, you tell'em

Would the 2400G be enough for entry level gaming? Form factor is more important than size in this case.

Just bought 8700k. Thanks AMD for pushing those lazy fucks at Intel.

The IGPU is about on par with a 550 or 1030. So as long as you're willing to reduce settings accordingly and don't play particularly demanding games, it's fine.

Does Ryzen have integrated graphics?

Is it any good?

I'm worried that my current GPU might kick the bucket and I don't want to buy another because of the cryptofaggots.

Buy the 2400G

2 Zen APUs just came out

Ryzen 2200G with 4cores/4threads and the Ryzen 2400G with 4cores/8threads

tfw lost the silicon lottery

>gaming
>muh arithmetic averages
the average means nothing if the max FPS is 500 and drops to 3 every other second. Ryzen wins at frametimes and shows no spikes unlike your overpriced space heater.

Spotted the jew

>It's a good budget option for people who can't afford the best, but that's about it. Exactly what AMD has always been.
Go ahead and post your 5.0ghz 8700k, 4200mhz ram, 2TB NVME, 1080ti sli... Or maybe you can't afford the best?

Threadshitter doesn't even come close to the 7980XE.

And then you woke up.

Performance difference: 10%
price difference: 100%

It was suppose to compete with Kaby lake and Broadwell-E (6800k-6900k). Don't forget your tripcode as well.
>18C beats 16C
Wow what a surprise

>has to send out "rental-CPUs" because current mobos cannot be updated to new BIOS-versions with Ryzen-2000s to support said Ryzen-2000s
GENIUS

Some mobos can be updated without a CPU, it's all on the mobo vendors' decision to support something that was basic 2 decades ago.

Wait, so it won't even be able to instant flash without an older AM4 CPU?
Asking because I'm thinking of buying one and I don't have Zen right now.

thank you lisa su

I like how people are so quick to defend something they can't afford

techpowerup.com/241559/amd-provides-support-for-bios-update-on-2nd-gen-ryzen-boot-kit-available

Newer mobos won't have this problem obviously, and as mentioned some mobos support flashing the BIOS without a CPU inserted.
Or you can just ask the store you're buying to flash the new BIOS in most normal countries.

my i5 2500k finally hit the shitter this week

budget allows for a Ryzen R5 1600, is this the cheapest / best replacement?

No one is stopping you from buying EPYC at that price range.

Should I upgrade from my FX for gaymen now or wait for ryzen 2?

I mean, if you're willing to wait, it's only 2 months until release... that said, it's mostly just higher clocks(and new motherboards), so you won't miss out on too much if you don't wait.

>stock

These are enthusiast CPUs and the i9 has much more overclocking headroom, at which point it obliterates the 1950X. An overclocked 7980XE gets over 4300 in Cinebench. Ryzen cannot compete with Intel in terms of performance.

Depends, for only gaming: consider i5 8400.

Ryzen is already outdated and in need of replacement. Go for Z370 setup if you care about futureproofing. Even the i5-8400 outperforms any Ryzen chip in most desktop tasks, including gaming.

EPYC begs to differ, and even at the absurd Intel price points.

Now I don't have to buy a fire extinguisher for my PC.

Nice nuclear holocaust.

>Meme95

Power draw is just fine in real workloads and is justified by the performance. Not really helping the case against AMD being for poor people by complaining about having to buy a decent PSU and pay a few cents more for power.

Ah yes, the fabled "I overcocked to 5.0GHz to run SuperPi for 12 seconds before it crashed"

Get back in the oven scholmo.

how long until onboard graphics surpass my three year old lowend GTX950?

GT1030 is not that far behind a 950, so next gen?

>10-25% faster stock
>$1000 more
>toothpaste
>way less PCIe lanes
>no ECC
>uses more power than 3 Vegas combined when overclocked
>even at stock uses considerably more power than threadripper

X299 is a joke.

i9 for over $1500 or 1950 for under $800.

AMD wins faggot.

>It's a good budget option for people who can't afford the best

Then you don't disagree with the above statement?

>can't afford the best

The best?
thinkmate.com/system/a -ultra-superserver-1023us-tr4

Gutted consumer trash that doesn't support RDIMM is the best? Nigga you get back to Sup Forums

If you want the best, why are you even considering Skylake-X when you could get a 7551p?

Better
broadberry.co.uk/amd-epyc-rackmount-servers

Personally I'd get the Dell Poweredges but good luck finding them in stock

Supermicro is good though, don't need to pay jewbucks for IPMI

We're discussing consumer products for desktop systems. EBYN is irrelevant in that context, and indeed in any context, given its stillbirth and lack of uptake due to (justifiable) concerns about AMD's poor support network versus Intel's. Xeons will continue to be the choice for 99% of business users.

Ah, so you're just retarded and/or paid by intel. Go kill yourself.

Don't be too hard on him, the favela monkey primate circusfreak doesn't really know about hardware outside the easily marketable consumer market.
Intel doesn't pay for that training.

Did you write for Intel's PR last year? Sure sounds like it, even half a year latter it still doesn't sound less retarded.

How is windows 7 running on ryzen? Does it worth or should I stick with 2016 LTSB?

Wait, Ryzen 2000 is higher clocks and better memory latency, which is exactly what it needs for DT use.

I think he did.
Murthy needs to clear Intel's marketing dept.

Because its affordable. I just switched my ass 3rd gen i5 for a 1400 (Bought from a friend for 50 €). Its a perfect HTPC CPU, especially for converting, also energy saving. If I wanted a current Intel platform I had to buy expensive Z370 boards or pay insane prices for used EOL platforms.
I'm getting it next month.
For maximum performance, no. But Threadripper costs half the money and is way more energy efficient. I hope AMD can deliver 4.5-5 GHz next year.

AMD CPus @stock are horrible, its the only downside currently.

Lmao, he also says this after the whole meltdown clusterfuck and spectre nonsense that needed to pull patches from RHEL and VMware because they were awful.

Literally paid monkeys.

anybody know if I should go with ryzen or coffee lake? currently on bulldozer and I mostly just play games. using RX 480.

>using RX 480.
Doesn't matter what you buy, you're gonna be GPU bottlenecked so a 8700 and a R3 will perform close to similarly in games(sans frametimes)

If you wanna buy now, buy whatever, I advise waiting some 5 or so weeks for Ryzen 2nd gen and see how it does.

Don't forget Intel winning EBYN vs blingie Xeons in virtualization by placing like 50% more VMs on Xeon.

And yet companies are STILL sticking with Xeons, despite this allegedly huge problem that AMD fanboys have been droning on about for weeks. Companies don't abandon a proven track record of success over a small issue. EBYN isn't going to snap up any more of the business market than Opterons did.

Opteron Dual-Core got like 25% server marketshare in 1.5 years.
Rome will do the same.
Naples' job is to validate and push the platform.

>Companies don't abandon a proven track record of success over a small issue.
30% performance penalty is not a small issue.

OG Opterons literally "snapped" 30% of the market in under 2 years when they release you fucking retard, Dell and HPE just started putting out EPYC builds a few weeks ago you fucking mong.

What exactly do you want? Companies orders are put on delay because there's no stock, this is bad for AMD how exactly? They can't produce more than the fab allows, even Intel has limited wafer output.
And mind that output is lower than GloFo's.

Son, you need 2x 20 core Xeons that use double the power be on par on slightly outperform a single socket $2000 EPYC that still has more I/O, and support less memory, the xeons did a bit better a few months ago but then meltdown happened and they lost a lot of perf overnight and that happened at a similar time when NUMA improvements happened in the kernels.

Intel is quite literally a joke, it's worse at everything but marketing and wasting money at this point.

"Nobody got fired for buying Intel" definitely applied before this whole Meltdown business. However, when this thing hit, the people I know who work in IT (all managers) were freaking out. The amount of work that went into patching everything, and then dealing with the NOTICEABLE performance drop, either internally or with customers. Needless to say Intels good name was dragged through the mud a little bit. The hardware guys are going to know that AMD was not affected, and they can say to their managers "we need a couple extra acks to compensate for the performance loss of these patches, so lets try out a few racks of these new EPYC chips, they aren't even that expensive" and well, the managers will say "Intel just fucked us, sure give lets get a couple racks to try out". Then they realize that EPYC absolutely BTFO of Intel in their major use case. When the next hardware upgrade cycle comes around people will remember that Intel fucked them. True story, actually happened.

AMD was always good value for the money spent. So when they fixed the single thread problem of Bulldozer architectures...

Intel would win if you could overclock Xeons

>it's worse at everything but marketing
Intel's marketing was (and still is) godawful since they've booted their old team somewhere in 2013.
AMD unironically has better marketing right now.

Overclocking is only a good idea if you're willing to rape your performance per watt, which is decidedly NOT the case with most servers.

>Intel would win if you let it use 3 times the power for 30% more performance

Said no sysadmin ever.

Wait till mobos with guaranteed new BIOS are out. There are stickers on the boxes, so retailer should be able to tell you.
Also, try to get the retailer to flash/order newer stock for you, some are willing to help.

>based
It's not, not anymore. It was a total game-changer when it was released. Now 6 cores is the norm for Intel i5's and i7's. And my 1600X really does beat the living shit out of anything Intel had to offer at that price-point when it was released (I know corelets will disagree, who cares, I use GNU/Linux so only total multi-core performance matters). This is no longer the case. AMD would have to slash Ryzen prices a lot more than they already have to compete.

>Would the 2400G be enough for entry level gaming
No. I've been a push towards a story that says it's great for entry-level budget gaming. Take a close look at those benchmarks behind this claim and you'll see 720p at low settings. If it could do 1080p at medium in the vast majority of games then perhaps it would be acceptable. But it's not. Further: There is no budget build option today. 8 GB DDR4 RAM will cost you more than 16 GB cost not that long ago. If you're into games then you're much better of buying a console.

>techpowerup.com/241559/amd-provides-support-for-bios-update-on-2nd-gen-ryzen-boot-kit-available
Wow, they really go the extra mile. I didn't expect them to offer such a service, no company ever did this for mobo BIOS updates. I wonder when are we going to see this from Intel (sarcasm)

>MCM
Multi Core Memery?

Ryzen 1000 series is about to go EOL.
>AMD would have to slash Ryzen prices a lot more than they already have to compete.
They don't need to, it's going EOL soon.

Power draw aside, overclocking also introduces errors in your memory and that just escalates to insane levels when you're running multi-TB memory farms, and that is unacceptable for where these things go.
But most just say "stop" at power draw.

The number of lawsuits targeting Intel is currently at 32 for Meltdown/Spectre

Good luck.

>>has to send out "rental-CPUs" because current mobos cannot be updated to new BIOS-versions
This is true and something worth considering if you're going to buy those new APUs and a motherboard. It's also utterly stupid. It's not the first time we've had this problem, it's been a regular issue on both the Intel and AMD side since forever.

Just a tip: I know ASUS boards don't have this problem. Gigabyte boards do. I don't know about MSI. You can put a BIOS file on a USB stick and have ASUS boards POST directly off that and update the BIOS and this works fine with unsupported CPUs. There is no similar options on Gigabyte boards (those I've seen, anyway) and you're screwed if you have an older AM4 board with an old BIOS and you drop a 2200G in it.

That's fucking nothing.
The real damage is angry-angry sysadmins that will fondly remember Intel's fuckup.

It affects AMD too:
> bugs: sysret_ss_attrs null_seg spectre_v1 spectre_v2
That's a Ryzen 1600X on kernel 4.14.16. I know AMD has stated that they don't believe spectre affects them but after some back and forth it was decided to apply fixes to make sure.

>ryzen
>based

Spectre is hard to fix hard to exploit one, doesn't come with a big performance decrease.
Meltdown is the real issue, easy to fix and easy to exploit, but the fix gimps performance too much.
Will improve in time, but at that point silicon will already have it baked in

This. Not only are AMD products inferior to Intel at all price points but supporting AMD by buying their products is actually antisemitic! Report all AMD users and supporters for hate speech.

AMD's microcode update was also not a horrific mess resulting in random reboots for no fucking reason.
Intel is literally beyond pathetic right now.
Hi Rabbi.
Is Haifa team ever doing anything anymore?
SKL-X was Hillsboro.

AMD stated that it was harder or generally hard to exploit Spectre 2 on their CPUs due to arch. differences. They stand by that but there will be mitigations even though. Those differences probably mean it will be more resistant to future exploits differing from the original one and beating the sw mitigations, but chasing after the same vulnerability, though, so a good thing. Hackers will keep targetting only Intels.

I too like burning my house down.

Ryzen mining rigs are the future and Monero is paying off solidly. We should buy in bulk before the price skyrockets

My laptop:
>model name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz
>bugs : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2

CPU meltdown! What a name. If I had no idea what these things actually and I just happened to see that pop up...

>SKL-X was Hillsboro.
Oh, that's why it burns power like a 1960s V8? The US team seems to be the one that chases more performance and lets CPUs eat more power, compared to the Israeli one.
Both is good in my book tho.