Linux art 1
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
Linux art 2
peppercarrot.com/
Davinci Resolve
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
DraftSight
3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/

Our boss is a stingy bitch and we use draftsught. It's good-ish I guess. I'm not a drawer, but I still use it even now and then to check that our products fit with our client's setup.
It requires you to make an account, but you don't have to pay a dime for it.

>draftsught
DraftSight*
>even now and then
Every now and then*

Sorry for the typos. I'm posting this from my phone while taking a shit.

Fusion360 is comfy

Cocreate (old as shit, now called creo or something. Not recommended but try it because fuck you)
Solidworks (crack it bitch)
Pepakura (if you wanna get into papercraft. It hates high poly, so be warned)

just crack solidworks

or just use paper and pen and your imagination, they're better than most free CADs out there

Fusion360 is free to use if you don't make over $100k with it and it has CAM support, so it's easy to make gcode for CNC.

After

Try FreeCAD, you might want to adjust to the new workflow. AutoCAD and it's workslow is ages old dinosaur, no self respecting, even hobby CAD user would want to be associated with it.
It is basically throwing down the lines roughly where they should be, then giving them size and relations to each other (parallel, endpoint to midpoint etc...), much faster than the old Autocad method.

I use FreeCAD to model shit for my 3D printing. Weird workflow, but when you get it, it's bretty gud

and muh freedoms

I'm looking for some 2d drafting software, something like AutoCAD but freedom-respecting. Google turned up LibreCAD; anybody ever try that?

Never using, but FreeCAD has a drafting workbench

Not OP, but would DraftSight be good for designing a bedframe?

It's not weird, Solid Edge uses it and the "new" Autodesk Inventor uses it too
Look up ordered and synchronous workflow environments, start with ordered, it is easier to learn with simple projects.

CATIA V5

Master this, and you'll be able to master anything else, and get a job also.

Why can't freetard software never into intuitive GUI? like fusion360

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but does anybody know whether CATIA V6 still requires you to install a whole fucking server infrastructure and forces you to save into a database?

I stopped looking a while ago and kept to V5 because I just want to save my files in a fucking directory, period.

That's not FOSS.
And I've yet too see intuitive CAD software that wasn't extremely limited useless shit.

lol I wouldn't call CATIA intuitive. It's pretty tedious for simple things, compared to e.g. SolidWorks.
But it's unstoppable tho.

Good UX requires good UX teams I guess. Like a lot of things, it's not the kind of thing you can do as a hobby over the weekend.

It is intuitive though...
Brainlets need not apply.

This.
The most robust and able pieces of software out there aren't the most intuitive at all and require training (It may even be a part of the business model)

A lot of the "easy" CAD packages out there are simply useless for anything more than rubber-band powered car races in women in STEM competitions.

I installed V6 without enovia and I could save files to my computer just fine.

AFAIK the main difference between CATIA and SW is how well CATIA handles collaboration, SW is just fine for personal use but when you have a larger company CATIA's organization really helps

t. engineer

I know, i was calling catia ux shit

Is catia v6 free or do you have to pirate? Is it a hassle?

>I installed V6 without enovia and I could save files to my computer just fine.
HOLY SHIT, WANT.
What version did you install? A "complete archive filename" would be appreciated, and a "hash" even more.
This is awesome news to me. I didn't know it became possible to do without a database.

>AFAIK the main difference between CATIA and SW is how well CATIA handles collaboration, SW is just fine for personal use but when you have a larger company CATIA's organization really helps
That's true. The main difference for me is that SW is quicker on simple things (the mouseover popup for creating constraints for example is godsent) but it's far from on par with what CATIA can handle in terms of complexity / robustness

t. fellow engineer

It's not shit it's just a bit tedious.
I've tried a *bunch* of FOSS CAD packages that were actually shit.

What is the easiest to use CAD software? I don't care about complexity or actual manufacturing. Just the physical appearance. Poly modeling sucks.

Sketchup isn't too bad to start, and is gratis. There are extensions out there for assembly design, and for photorealistic rendering

You still here mang?

Is there a way to get clean data out of sketchup instead of dirty triangulated polys?

>I've tried a *bunch* of FOSS CAD packages that were actually shit.
FOSS CADs, like most FOSS stuff, is written to address a need in the writer's life. It will seldom address other issues.
Full-scale FOSS software is usually written with industry funding as a sort of pro bono publico PR move.

Couldn't tell. Haven't played with it enough.

FreeCAD is actually really good.
I used it for bot CNC lathe and 3D printing.
LibreCAD is also OK if you're more familiar with AutoCAD.

Forgot to add, I'd still rather use SolidWorks, Catia or Pro Engineer rather, but if you don't want to pay or pirate, these two can do the job.

You have to pirate. Legit licenses are anwhere from 7000-100000USD depending on features and what you can negotiate with the dealer.