How can one country be so devoid of talent?

How can one country be so devoid of talent?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C2cMG33mWVY
youtube.com/watch?v=fdyfrQhJRLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=JB2EiHOB0Mw
youtube.com/watch?v=xv6oOxn1axw
youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg
youtube.com/watch?v=7ejIxL8KtUk
youtube.com/watch?v=_a1try9_sZo
youtube.com/watch?v=w28ZREQe3_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=3a0z9ZcSwPQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qAbxUBCDWTg
battlecircus.bandcamp.com/
anemeraldcity.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=eCJg63SziL4
youtube.com/watch?v=-MDXb51Owaw
youtube.com/watch?v=I7UvbwCjXUk
youtube.com/watch?v=bDyUcmoIkl0
youtube.com/watch?v=ZytEicHf6p4
youtube.com/watch?v=GvBtI0eZfK0
youtube.com/watch?v=nLYsQJ4spE4
pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/18161-yumi-zouma-keep-it-close-to-me/,
theworstlabel.bandcamp.com/album/tongue
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

anglos

How can poo peeland even recover?

poo peeland poosters on pooicide watch

:(

Crowded House

They have Lorde and..........uh...

Australian

Effectively American given that she's a manufactured product

d-dunedin scene

e-eyeliner

who here just spent 6 mths on a leaky boat?

What are you talking about?

Some really good music has came out of NZ.

youtube.com/watch?v=C2cMG33mWVY

They have split enz and ladyhawke

Mutiny is a pretty good folk punk band from Melbourne

youtube.com/watch?v=fdyfrQhJRLQ

youtube.com/watch?v=JB2EiHOB0Mw

youtube.com/watch?v=xv6oOxn1axw

This is one of my favourite songs that came out of nz.

youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

That's the New Zealand flag.

The Australian flag doesn't have red stars.

>tfw no based elite and muscular meme triangles

ITT: plebs

New Zealand has loads of good artists desu baka

HOW BIZARRE, HOW BIZARRE. CAUSE EVERYTIME I TURN AROUND

that's fuckin classic. why isn't that the new zealend anthem?

By that logic every K-Pop act in South Korea is American.

DA DA DA DA DU
DA DA BA DU
DA DA DA BA DU
DA DA DA DA DA DA

DA DA DA DA DU
DA DA BA DU
DA DA DA BA DU
DA DA DA DA DA DA

Name one.

Cause most of the music is pop. Live music tonight? Expect a guy/girl playing shitty unoriginal covers of pop songs. They all sound the same and have no innovation.
Doesn't help that all the venues have been closing down in the last ten years cause nobody wants to pay to see an upcoming act. So the only way to get success is to pay for it.

youtube.com/watch?v=7ejIxL8KtUk

Kiwi fag here, read it and weep. We just cant afford advertising n shit

youtube.com/watch?v=_a1try9_sZo

kiwi fag again

>mfw NZ will never, ever facilitate creative collectives such as TeamSESH or WeDidIt
>mfw NZ music scene is dominated by upper middle class indie whiteboy cucks
>mfw most bands are literally shit and are clinging on to highschool fantasies of being a rockstar

Literally everyone I know in the Dunedin and Wellington music scene is human refuse with no work ethic and absolutely no ambition to be creative, instead they emulate trends they find on the internet

Whatever happened to her?

youtube.com/watch?v=w28ZREQe3_Q

Kiwi fag agen

youtube.com/watch?v=3a0z9ZcSwPQ

KIWI CLASSIC bitches

youtube.com/watch?v=qAbxUBCDWTg

kiwi music your favourite yet? no? ill keep posting

battlecircus.bandcamp.com/
anemeraldcity.bandcamp.com/

youtube.com/watch?v=eCJg63SziL4
youtube.com/watch?v=-MDXb51Owaw
youtube.com/watch?v=I7UvbwCjXUk

The originality is a big big problem. The only bands I know of that actually sound unique worldwide are the original Dunedin Sound group, Ulcerate and Mice on Stilts. For a country like ours, that's fucking nothing. Even Australia has shit loads of globally unique bands.

So many bands are happy with being "NZ's version of X" and because that's enough to get them NZ on Air funding and radio play they don't strive for more.

youtube.com/watch?v=bDyUcmoIkl0

you owe me so much

Battle Circus could have been a legendary band if they hadn't broke up. Their first two albums were decent compositionally but way way way too similar to Muse. With more uniqueness they could have been great.

CHUR CUZ

youtube.com/watch?v=ZytEicHf6p4

youtube.com/watch?v=GvBtI0eZfK0

This band is the epitome of NZ's bullshit "it's from NZ therefore it must be good" complex. I constantly see this being mentioned in foreign sites along the lines of "I don't know why these guys are famous they do nothing special", and it's all because the NZ media shills them so hard simply because they're from NZ

They're good though

Commit pooicide

I know you are there Daniel

They really aren't. Flat as fuck sludge metal that is done by 30 or 40 bands better and more powerful. Their songwriting is equivalent to that of a post-grunge band, and their ""riff power"" is topped by plenty of bands in the same style

Oh what I keep hearing these guys being plugged on bfm, here I was thinking they were some interesting indie rock band but it turns out they're more akin to westie trash

Noone likes the mint chicks?

>they're being plugged on bfm

This is exactly what I mean by . Shit band by the rest of the world's standards, but because they're from NZ the media shills them so fucking hard. Happens all the time. It's also massively ironic that the only genuinely unique metal band from NZ (Ulcerate) gets no coverage. Ulcerate practically invented that super grimdark mix of sludge and techdeath, Beastwars are just following a formula.

Speaking of bfm my band is unironically playing on there for music month lmoa we're gonna be so shit

the haka's pretty good i hear

Yeah my own fault for continuing to listen to b desu, totally get what you mean though. I think a lot of it stems from being such a tiny country trying to maintain some semblance of musical activity while also trying to keep people happy

What's your band user?

NZ wants to be relevant in the mainstream so it doesn't promote actual creativity and innovation, the culture promotes matching up to others on the world stage

We're riding the Lorde wave, got us signed and everything
youtube.com/watch?v=nLYsQJ4spE4

EVERY TIME I LOOK AROUND
ITS IN MY FACE

From New Zeland

POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND POOS AND WEES AND PO

This is true. NZ is also incredibly quick to praise anything even remotely good and it gets to certain artists. A lot of musicians I know believe that getting a review in the herald is "massive". If a group like Doprah were in the US or Europe, they wouldn't be praised at all, and therefore they'd keep pushing to find a really unique sound and break through. But here, they are already being praised as the greatest thing of all time, despite their songs being low-effort garbage. So, they're going to keep making low-effort garbage, because they know it's all they need to get NZ on Air funding and radio play, and never reach their full potential as artists. A lot of NZ music is acceptable, but none of it stands up to anything that other countries make.

As someone in the industry, I totally agree with this. The "they're from NZ and that's all that makes them special" notion is real, look at this Track review from P4K on a Yumi Zouma song pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/18161-yumi-zouma-keep-it-close-to-me/, it needed the caveat "Who opened for Lorde" just to get attention.

Not to mention the rate of decay on new artists is ridiculously high, groups like HEAVY get attention for about 2 months before disappearing altogether, there's hardly a cohesive "scene" here at all.

Literally the first time I see Ladyhawke mentioned on Sup Forums
She's fucking great

And this is why I'm going to shill Mice on Stilts to the end of my days as I feel they are unique not just for NZ but worldwide. Indie pop/rock bands that use classical and jazz instrumentation are dime a dozen but the influence from noise rock and post-rock and metal really sets them apart. They're getting a lot of praise from the local media and I hope they don't start being too inward in their promotion (ie just aim for the NZ market), because their real market is overseas, like Ulcerate.

Ulcerate too, but they've already got all the credit they deserve from the international press

New Zealand isn't even that white anymore though

holy fuck, will poo peeland ever recover

>ctrl+f Kimbra
>0 results

theworstlabel.bandcamp.com/album/tongue

1st 3 songs on this album >>>

AC/DC is good fun, if a bit brain-dead.

Spear of Longinus and Fortress are also great.

Good bands from down under: Paramæcium, Mortal Sin, Mortification, Slaughter Lord, Hobbs Angel of Death

Oh fug, wrong country.

Well, at least they have Razorwyre

Why are IDs even gone?