Assemble a part list

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

Need help?:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i 7000 series. THEY'RE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>Ryzen 4 core CPUs ARE SUPERSEDED BY THE 2200G & 2400G, BUT UNLESS YOU BUY A COMBO YOU'LL LIKELY NEED TO HAVE THE BIOS UPDATED
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks). Mostly superseded by the 2200G and upcoming Athlons.
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast dual rank RAM) and/or for holding out until GPU prices drop
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VMs / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933-3200 MHz is ideal
>Dual rank memory is often cheaper than comparable higher MHz memory (ie Crucial Ballistix Sport)
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Cryptocurrency miners have driven GPU prices up
1080p
>MSRPs: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 8GB, $220
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) FPS
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) FPS
2160p (4K) on well optimized games
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't waste money on a GPU that drives much higher FPS than your monitor's Hz for "future proofing". Save to upgrade later.
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory
>Consider a single larger SSD instead of both a small SSD + much larger HDD.

Previous: >64743826

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/vnLmP3
pcpartpicker.com/user/oshirigami/saved/nwJWXL
pcpartpicker.com/list/3h8ttg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrxhf_xZWI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Resolution_and_refresh_frequency_limits_for_DisplayPort
laptopmag.com/articles/make-windows-10-like-windows-7
support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx
pcpartpicker.com/product/bd2rxr/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-11gb-aorus-xtreme-edition-11g-video-card-gv-n108taorus-x-11gd
pcpartpicker.com/product/VKdFf7/team-dark-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-tdged416g3000hc16cdc01
pcpartpicker.com/product/zgJkcf/gskill-memory-f43200c16d8gvk
pcpartpicker.com/product/xDx9TW/gskill-memory-f42800c16d8gvr
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313776
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/dP3Tw6
de.pcpartpicker.com/product/7RKhP6/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-windforce-oc-6g-video-card-gv-n1060wf2oc-6gd
pcpartpicker.com/list/w4QJ7W
ebay.com/itm/NEW-DELL-INSPIRON-5675-AMD-AM4-SOCKET-MOTHERBOARD-5000-SERIES-COMPUTER-BOARD-/263490974778
asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M Pro4/index.asp#Download
forum.gigabyte.us/thread/1854/x399-gaming-128gb-ram-issue
pcpartpicker.com/list/yYpcCb
newegg.com/global/pl/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232630
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>>G4560

Just a friendly reminder that getting a refurbished office PC with a 3rd or 4th gen i5(i7 if you get a lucky find) and 8-16gbs of ram is the absolute best deal poorfags can get right now.

All you gotta do is throw in a low profile 1050ti.

(OP)
Just upgraded my HTPC to Ryzen. Fresh 1400 (gets replaced by 1700 next month) and NVMe SSD. Now I need to replace my HDDs.

I planned to buy a 4 TB Seagate Backup Plus HDD for my "external" drive (The 2.5 one lying on the GPU, it was external once...).

Also I need a new bigship HDD, I planned for a 10 TB IronWolf, but it seems WD only costs a bit more and delivers less power consumption (24/7) and noise, which is important. This stands under my bed and powers my TV, the 10 TB hard drive will replace my 4 TB one so I can put all my 4K movies and series on one drive.

Which one would you prefer and why? Also, are there other options for a 4 TB 2.5" external drive?

depends on your luck with how good the TIM and IHS adhesive is.
I've seen lots of people only getting 80C idle with a good AIO.

FreeNAS?

why would you need a guide to install windows with a ryzen cpu in particular?

Looking for CPU cooler and case recommendations for this following build: pcpartpicker.com/list/vnLmP3

HAHAHAHAHA
A
H
A
H
A
H
A

> This assumes you are using a USB keyboard/mouse and your motherboard only has USB 3.0 ports. Windows 7 Installer does not support USB 3.0 input and you will be unable to progress past the language select screen. Use one of the following options to Install Windows 7 on your USB 3.0 motherboard. PS/2 keyboards and mice will work fine. This author is uncertain if there are any AM4 motherboards with USB 2.0 or PS/2 ports.

So a 212 Evo will do? Totally new to OCing but I understand I may not hit the target frequency. Im fine with getting a few hundred Mhz lower as long as it wont burn down my house. Room temp below 20 Celcius, using 2 case fans one intake and one exhaust.

>for light tasks
yes

Poor upgradability. The RAM, PSU, and motherboard are usually shit. CPU is usually not unlocked.
Better off making a new 2200G machine for like $460 pcpartpicker.com/user/oshirigami/saved/nwJWXL

You're paying like $60 more for RAM than you should, but it could be worse.

Don't get a 1700 until you replace that motherboard. The 8 core draws more power than the quad core, regardless of the 65W rating. You need a motherboard with a VRM heatsink

why the fuck can't I find a decent 1440p 75/85hz screen
it's such a nice sweet-spot, why isn't it more popular?

well that sucks. dunno why you prefer win7 over win10 when you can have ltsb

No, I'm not planning to replace it. Its a ASUS B350M-A. This case only fits mATX.

I'll probably undervolt the 1700, because this is a rendering PC. It will only do light gaming like Warframe in 4K. Most of the time it serves as a 24/7 down/uploader and NAS. It automatically unpacks movies and checks them and could even convert them into H265 for additional storage saving.

>dunno why you prefer win7 over win10 when you can have ltsb
Some people don't like the flat theme.

Get a new motherboard. There are mATX motherboards with actual heatsinks you dumbass.
Examples:
Asrock AB350M
Asrock AB350M Pro 4
MSI B350M Mortar
MSI B350M Bazooka
Asus Tuf B350M Gaming Plus
Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3

128 MEGABYTES of RAM POWER? Are you a wizard?

Will any GPU with DP1.2 support 1080p240?

Is now the right time top upgrade by sandy bridge platform to something new?

>212 evo on a 7700k
haha retard

As already said, if you're unlucky not even a $90+ cooler can handle how shitty the 7700k thermals can be. There oftentimes simply isn't enough heat conductivity to the IHS from the factory without a delid.

cause people with shit taste think that 1080 vertical pixels is enough.
For some reason there's a lot of 3440x1440 at 75-100hz but not 2560x1400 except in 144hz.

I'd just get that 144hz q-dot freesync Samsung monitor. $470 is a steal. Just underclock it to 90hz or whatever if your GPU can't handle 144hz but doesn't support Freesync.

This user is speaking truth. I have a 1700 on the micro shit international bazooka board. I can only get the OC to stick at 3.7 and even then it runs Australian levels of hot. To solve this problem I dropped the clock .1 and have a custom fan mount solution blowing on the vrms. It's less than ideal but I can't afford a better board at the moment.

pcpartpicker.com/list/3h8ttg

Considering building a pc for work. Just an email machine basically. Anything that could be changed out? Maybe go with the ryzen 3 instead?

M.2 is just for the lulz. It may or may not go in depending how I feel at the moment.

Also I'll be needing a shitty monitor to go with it. Doesn't need to be big or fancy. Already have mouse and keyboard.

But why do I need heatsinks when I don't OC? I don't want to pay more and have to reinstall everything again. The B350 fits pretty well for my needs.

because when the CPU uses more electricity, the vrms heat up. Heatsinks on the VRM help dissipate that. Having a 4 core Ryzen chip on a board without VRM heatsinks is no big deal. The 4 cores don't use much power.
The 8 cores are another story altogether. They use much more power, and without a heatsink, you may eventually fry the motherboard due to overheating VRMs, even at stock clocks. Get a motherboard with a VRM heatsink.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrxhf_xZWI

If it complies to the standard, it should.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Resolution_and_refresh_frequency_limits_for_DisplayPort

>pcpartpicker.com/list/3h8ttg
Can you overclock the 2400G on an A320 board?
No you can't. You should really get a B350. Worth the extra 25bux.

Really you could simply go with a 2200G overclocked and it winds up cheaper.
Also get better memory.
This build is better. Can still change to 2400G if you want:
>pcpartpicker.com/user/oshirigami/saved/nwJWXL

How do I choose a decent $150-$250 CAD monitor to pick up if I'm starting a fresh PC build after years of laptop-only usage?
I want good real estate for programming, multitasking, and moderate gaming. Not really interested in "gaming oriented" monitors though.
so far as I've determined, this means I should want a 1920x1080 IPS monitor at a reasonable size, but this pops up at least 20 monitors on pcpartpicker and similar on other sites, and I'm also willing to buy used off kijiji to save some bucks if there's unlikely to be any degradation. What's my next step to choosing among them, or other factors I can look for? Any recommendations?

here laptopmag.com/articles/make-windows-10-like-windows-7

Can't I just glue heatsinks on it?

Holy shit - you don't need to worry about VRM temperatures if you're not overclocking. VRM cooling is enthusiast-level thing. You need custom-loop cooling with a VRM waterblock to cool that shit.

Not interest in over clocking it so I don't care if the board can oc or not.

The 2200 would probably suit my use better anyway.

Didn't get a reply last time:
I'm wanting to get the NEW HOTNESS APU because it'll work Good Enough™

But ram prices are, well you know. Getting 12GB of high speed ram is pretty much impossible, so I wanna know what to look for in OCable RAM and a motherboard that'll support it.

>R3 2200G - Budget builds

Kek HOW THE FUCK IS IT A BUDGET BUILD WHEN YOU NEED TO BUY ANOTHER POOZEN CPU JUST SO YOU CAN UPDATE BIOS? ANH WHEN YOU ALREADY GOT A POOZEN BUILD WHY DO YOU NEED AN INTERIOR APU? SO YOU CAN SELL YOUR GPU TO MINERS? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

G4560 STILL KING OF BUDGET GAMING
INTEL STILL KING OF HIGH-END GAMING

Save more before you start building your PC, I guess.

Or you wait for motherboards to come updated?

You can borrow a PC/laptop from someone else and update the bios. You don't need another CPU to do that.

I know it's possible to OC ram, and I know you can OC the GPU. If I cannot get ahold of 3000mhz ram I'm sure I could OC somewhat slower ram if need be.

Then delete the shit in the OP in the meantime you shill. We don't want bunch of pajeets coming here crying about the PC not POSTing.

>WHEN YOU NEED TO BUY ANOTHER POOZEN CPU JUST SO YOU CAN UPDATE BIOS?
Bristol Ridge you illiterate fuck

>G4560 STILL KING OF BUDGET GAMING
How poor can a gamer get? Isn't gaming supposed to be a luxury? Why do people waste their time on gaming when they are this poor - why not work and make money to afford something better? This is what holding the game developers back from developing very high end games.

Fuck off faggot.

Thats high-end board feature you dont wanna waste it on a shitty chip.

>AMD poozen

based poozen poster

I'm looking at the Acer KG271U 27", but it seems way too cheap and I can't find any reliable reviews on it
what's the catch?

Anyone?

so I want to get myself a decent gaming pc but I don't want to bother with actually assembling it, so I'm looking at prebuilt and I found this build for 950 € Intel i5-8400 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR4, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, 120GB SSD+1TB HDD & Win10 Home .

It seems to be the best quality / price but I'm worried the GTX 1060 is going to bottleneck the thing, also that it isn't going to be able to give me 144 fps. Thoughts ?

Or you could update the BIOS in any decent PC Shop/Microcenter
Nice try man

I went to a PC parts store to inquire about store prices and when picking a graphics card I forgot what brand it was. I thought it was EVGA when it was actually Asus.

I'm just curious now, what is the difference between the following?
>MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G
>Asus STRIX-GTX1080TI-11G-GAMING
>EVGA 11G-P4-6696-KR

And for the Asus, what's the difference between the O11G and the 11G? Looks like a shield on the card, but I'm absolutely ignorant about these issues.

I saw HP ZR24w s with no stands, just the panels and shrouds for them, used for $80. They're VESA.

It says right in the fucking OP already that you will likely need to update BIOS.

look em up

I want pcbg's opinion on them dood

FYI anyone with an R3/5 APU with a board with old bios, you can get a cpu from amd to flash it for free.

support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

Mostly cooling solutions, clock speeds and the quality. I prefer Gigabyte or EVGA, I'd get this
pcpartpicker.com/product/bd2rxr/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-11gb-aorus-xtreme-edition-11g-video-card-gv-n108taorus-x-11gd

that's really decent of them.

anyone have any tips here? Or is RAM equally OCable no matter what?

Omg. I found such a cute little case.
Aerocool CS-101.
Could actually probably fit quite a few 2.5" HDDs in here if I wanted for NAS.

OP already recommends good OCable RAM.
No they aren't equal. Depends on the quality of the dies.

Nice
Not impossible, whatever you do get dual channel. 16gb 3000MHz $165
pcpartpicker.com/product/VKdFf7/team-dark-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-tdged416g3000hc16cdc01
If you're going with 8gb
pcpartpicker.com/product/zgJkcf/gskill-memory-f43200c16d8gvk

I actually got this so I can mount my IHS somewhere else in the case for looks.

Well 16 gig is a little overkill for me with these prices, and there's no high speed 4gb sticks that I can find at a price that I'd ever pay.

well I was hoping to find out how to tell better quality ram apart from lower quality, I guess. I don't mind getting a lower speed 12 gigs if I can overclock it easily without it crashing

Maybe this?
pcpartpicker.com/product/xDx9TW/gskill-memory-f42800c16d8gvr

Maybe this too but have never heard of Team brand before now.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313776

Might be worth putting this info in the OP, at least till new 400 series boards release

It depends on the games you would play, I'd go with a 1600 and build it yourself, it's easy and there's a lot of tutorials out there
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/dP3Tw6
For €110 more you could get the 6gb one, the extra VRAM will help but it's not gonna be that much of a difference
de.pcpartpicker.com/product/7RKhP6/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-windforce-oc-6g-video-card-gv-n1060wf2oc-6gd

is it worth it to go 50 eur over budget for a corsair 240gb ssd oinstead of a kingston 120gb ssd?

Yes user 120gb will fill up quick, look for a mx500 or mx300 if you want a m.2 drive

is it that big of a worry if I plan to have a HDD for storage?

New Rypoo 1600, MSI Tomahawk B350 board, gskillz trident 3200. R9 Fury GPU, no signal to my monitor. Otherwise appears to be booting fine. Also inserted an old 270X and same problem, no signal.

Meant to ask, is the board DOA possibly?

That SSD size is god awful.
Like you can get 256GB for $70 so there's no sense in only having one that tiny which can only fit the OS.
If not for that, it'd be an okay deal. It's just hard to justify buying a computer with such a tiny SSD.

Why not drop the HDD entirely and get a 500GB SSD instead?

It's a worry that you won't get many benefits of an SSD without room to hold games and applications.
How often do you boot Windows versus boot up a game? I almost never boot up Windows. I keep it running. I'm more concerned with how quickly my programs load.

Try other PCI slots if your motherboard can output video on a GPU which isn't in the primary one.

Forgot to mention that too, tried the fury and 270X in both slots. No luck in either.

Sounds like the motherboard, RMA fast. If you can return it and the price difference isn't that high get a B350-F Rog Strix (it has better heatsinks)

Just got the board yesterday. So it’s within return/RMA. Was hoping this wasn’t the case. Also not too fond of ASUS boards. My old M5A99FX was a dud for OCs, and my current x370 for my 1700 is just retarded with my RAM. Therefor was hopping to try a different brand.

>delidded 8700k
>put back into socket
>doesn't really close properly but seems to fit
>start up
>not booting
>CPU must not be in correctly
>remove heatsink
>no thermal paste touching it
>CPU didn't reach heatsink anymore
>mfw "delid" doesn't simply mean "take the lid off of it forever" and I'm supposed to put it back

You can actually do direct die cooling if you take off the socket bracket with a hex screw, and use one billion washers to set the proper heatsink height.

Damn that sucks user, maybe try the GA-AB350 Gaming 3 or even the K5 if you're willing to spend a little more (the K7 might be a good replacement for your x370 if the memory issue continues)

Where can I get a motherboard that has modern features, but isn't some aregeebee gaymur tumor?

I currently have a Ryzen 1700X based build with 32GB of DDR4. I'm looking to potentially upgrade to Threadripper as I enjoy encoding a shit load of video as well as gaming while it does it. I also edit a load of video. Even with my current 8c/16t that I have, I pin all 16 threads to 100% usage often.

I can sell my 1700X and current Asus X370 ROG board for $550. So I'd be looking at around $700 out of pocket.

pcpartpicker.com/list/w4QJ7W

duh. You're supposed to re-apply better thermal paste or liquid metal, then re-glue the lid back on.

Who cares what it looks like?

As long as you case doesn't have window it doesn't matter. Hipster cockfag.

Here but it'd be pretty stupid to get a proprietary mobo especially at that price
ebay.com/itm/NEW-DELL-INSPIRON-5675-AMD-AM4-SOCKET-MOTHERBOARD-5000-SERIES-COMPUTER-BOARD-/263490974778
If you only care about looks and you don't mind white leds there's the B350M Mortar Arctic

Rgb question:
If I have rgb ram (trident z) and some cooler master rgb case fans, is there a way to be able to sync them together and control everything? Without a fancy Asus rgb mobo, that is.
I know it's possible to control the ram rgb with software and the fans with a separate rgb controller but can they be synced together?
For reference its an asrock ab350m pro4 mobo .

Look into the Asrock RGB LED software
asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M Pro4/index.asp#Download

Really hard to find QVLed 128GB kits these days. Guess I'll have to compromise on speed/timing.

For Threadripper btw

Looked into it, seems like it can only be used to control the heatsink fan if you have one of the compatible ryzen rgb heatsinks. There's only one rgb led header on the board and it's designed for that heatsink specifically it seems.

Nevermind, I was wrong. You can use that software to control rgb fans/strips (provided everything is connected to the one rgb header on the board) but still can't control or sync it with the ram rgb which needs separate software.

Do you already have a motherboard? The x399 Gaming Pro Carbon has plenty of 128gb kits in the QVL

But they didn't test configuration with full 8 sticks for most of them

What's a good sub 250$ monitor? I don't give a shit about muh 1000hz, as it's mainly for productivity and design.

tf you need 128gb for

serious question

Get a refurbished Dell Ultrasharp, or HP ZR24w, etc.

For a new machine learning workstation. I have 64GB now and it's getting pressured from time to time

forum.gigabyte.us/thread/1854/x399-gaming-128gb-ram-issue
Seems like there are widespread x399 RAM support problems for 128GB. I haven't opened my mobo/CPU so I'll probably return them and go for Intel... again. I tried, AMD.

what motherboard do i buy jesus fuck
pcpartpicker.com/list/yYpcCb

you forgot to add the title fool! i was wondering why my catalogue search was constantly going nowhere.

Gigabyte ftw

Can someone tell me why no one has ever suggested using a modded 30 dollar Xeon CPU. I know they're not for gaming but if you're on a really tight budget it's probably one of the best choices.

Get another mobo user

I also checked Corsair and G.Skill sites; Corsair only has one TR compatible 128GB kit and is 2400 CL14; G.Skill has dedicated "for AMD" kits but none are in stock where I live

newegg.com/global/pl/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232630
This doesn't ship to your country?

Why has intel moved from 4C/8T to 6C/6T?
Wouldn't that be a decrease in performance at the same frequency?