Hey Sup Forums, what’s this?

i scored this from an old librarian’s desk. Upon close inspection, it looks like it uses a cassette disk.

more pics

Give it back, Jamal

Zip disk pt 2

i ain’t no nigger

It looks like a zipdisk reader and disk due to all the iomax stuff, but I'm not too sure as the cart looks like it has a tape in it.

how old am I

I found one of those at a garage sale.
Not sure what I'll do with it.
I was thinking maybe to get it running on Linux for a retro PC or maybe FreeDOS?

What would be something else that's cool?
Too bad I can't boot off one of those.

>it looks like it uses a cassette disk.

i hate nu-Sup Forums

Zip disk.
Data should be be gone now

It's going to be difficult to find working tapes for Iomega Ditto.

oh cool
i could probably use it for a movie prop or something

I would figure that if it is tape it should last a good while if stored properly but since it is Iomega you may be right to it might be hard to find media that would work

this whole pic made me mad as fuck.
its actually implying that vinyl has less wear than CD when used regularly.
fuck that shit

except it's not a zip disk you cocksucking mongoloid

it's a qic/travan tape drive so you'll have to scroll down the fag list you just posted

bitch

its a proprietary tape format, long dead and superseded quickly by LTO tapes.
also its slow as ball and since you've got a parallel external drive, its going to be even slower.

>proprietary
were they? i remember them supporting different tape formats, not sure if you could write data but you could certainly read it

it's a Ditto tape backup drive, they have no relation to the Zip other than the Iomega logo on them and it's not really hard to find tapes for them, guess they were a more "consumer friendly" solution to more expensive SCSI drives (but I'm pretty sure they came in SCSI too alongside parallel)

they usually need Iomega software to talk to them which is also not really too hard to find, should work on anything Win9x/NT era and maybe some newer stuff, not really sure what happened

the "max" models can take similarly named cartridges up to 3.5 GB

tapes will probably work just fine as long as you don't go out of your way to mistreat them, find some nice little Pentium Classic box to fit it in, maybe you can rig it into a newer system if the official or any third-party drivers were opened up

I was gonna say. You can buy an LTO4 drive for

everything in the '90s was proprietary

i'm not so sure

i had an hp colorado t3000 and i remember swapping tapes with ditto owners

>Reel to reel audio tape last the same time as cassette tape and less than 8tracks.

>super 8 longer than vhs tapes (THE REWIND IS DANGEROUS LOL while the lamp start heating and burns taking your projector, super 8 spool, and your house with it)

>3 1/2 floppy weaker than 5 1/4" floppy

just fuck off

also crashplan is shit as fuck.

I was just being a smartass
and you're right, apparently some of them could read travan, sweet

its a fucking nightmare some quarter inch work with some ditto drive some dont there's a whole fucking spread sheet on wikipedia about cross compatibility.

i had the same issue with the colorado, some tapes it would read but not write to, some would simply not work

as a backup format back then, it was a hell of a lot cheaper than cds but man i don't miss the compatibility issues and seek times

thank god for USB

>lists "digital photos", as if that's a kind of media

one of worst implemented and least reliable back up systems ever sold to retards through EggHead brick and mortar stores

yff in hell Iomega

Why do I know this.
I remember buying one new at the store
When did I become an old man