Fuck Cobol

> Be me
> Programming student 3.8 overall GPA
> Breeze through hardest courses like Object Oriented Java, Android, Web Dev with either A or A+ while other plebs are getting Bs and Cs
> About to fail Cobol
> Professor calls himself Captain Cobol
> 60s something old timer, giant dickhead
> Makes the course even more impossible by being a hardass about the smallest errors
> Bragging in front of class about how Java is inferior to Cobol
> Never answer student's questions, look down on them because they can't write fucking Cobol
> Gives everyone 20/100 for assignments

And seriously why the fuck are people still using Cobol? There's little to no documentation or examples on the internet, extremely hard to understand or troubleshoot except only by reading the course's slides (which is a fucking cesspool). A line of code has to be preceeded by an exact number of spaces to work, retarded bugs galore, and the IDE is an absolute piece of trash. Why in the fuck does this shit language still exist in 2018?

Inb4 there's still a lot of legacy code to maintain so the language still exist. Of course I know that, I'm just ranting.

Other urls found in this thread:

tutorialspoint.com/cobol/index.htm
csis.ul.ie/cobol/course/COBOLIntro.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>hardest courses
>Object Oriented Java, Android, Web Dev

Why do you care about the language? Programming is a set of skills independent of the language involved. If you're blaming the language for your inability to write a program, then you're a retard. It's like a mathematician crying that he couldn't solve the problem because he didn't like the brand of pencil he was forced to use.

what a shit college teaching language directly instead of teaching the concepts and students are free to do assignment in appropriate language of their own choice

>Language is just a tool
You sound like a generic senile who takes pride in his superpower Pascal mastery. Try the language yourself before you speak faggot

That's as good as it gets for a 2-year college program. You can't believe how some college plebs are struggling with a dead simple Observer/Observable project.

>>>>>>>>>>>> years
l-o-l fucking pleb

enjoy geek squad

Stop being butthurt you can't just copy and paste from stack overflow

honestly, cobol is fine, it's really not that hard at all, it's just a lot different than modern languages. It sucks that your teacher is captain douche about it, but I can appreciate the old schoolness that is cobol. mainframes are pretty cool actually if you think about it.

Exactly what I was thinking. I took a class similar to that in 10th grade high school.

Cobol is easy as fuck, it was designed so that even non-programmers could read and follow along.

You're retarded OP. Master Cobol and you'll land a $120K starting without even having to move to the valley, that and job security because fucking no one wants to write Cobol.

OP is such a faggot... Just learn COBOL by yourself. It's your own responsibility to learn things, not the teachers'

>hardest courses like Object Oriented Java, Android, Web Dev
lol

Then I'd imagine you're a bourgeoisie swimming in money now instead of rock throwing on Sup Forums like a sand nigger

>Cobol is easy as fuck, it was designed so that even non-programmers could read and follow along.
Compared with assembly, it definitely is. But that's about all.

>muh gpa
dropped ya there kiddo

>language of their own choice

What if they choose BRAINFUCK?

>Tfw your job is replacing the IBM mainframe with a massive rewrite away from COBOL
>estimated project time 5-7 years
Haha... Riiiiiggghhht.

Jesus OP, you got hit with some heat. Regardless of the language you definitely have a shit professor so that sucks. Hang in there my dude.

>There's little to no documentation or examples on the internet,
You're not looking in the right places, obviously.
Both FORTAN and COBOL have bottomless pits of known, working subroutines and examples.
>>A line of code has to be preceeded by an exact number of spaces to work,
WTF are you using as an IDE? Even with coding pads, formatting was a no-brainer. If you don't have the habit of starting in column 7 perhaps you should consider a career in BASIC.
I had to learn COBOL to configure the comms adaptor in a S/38. What's your problem?

Ummm... excuse me, but who the fuck needs to know cobol?

>failing at programming
Dude, do you fail at using pliers or basic tools as well?

Asm is the easiest language there is, just because you have all the rope available to hang yourself doesnt mean its hard.

>I don't get cobol because there's no online examples
Consider an alternative approach to learning. Where you learn the language and solve problems in the language rather than copy and pasting stackoverflow.
Then they deal with that?
Likewise if someone wanted to do web programming in asm it's their fault.
Best the prof and TA can do is advise against it.

what college teaches Cobol in 2018?

OP here, just so you guys know, I don't find COBOL hard. I just found it unnecessary, stupid and time-wasting. So, I refuse to learn it. Gonna go for an academic withdrawal soon since it was an elective.

inb4 why did I choose COBOL for elective in the first place. I know, worst fucking decision of my life.

>Breeze through hardest courses like Object Oriented Java

>Alternative non-example non-google learning
Do you know what's wrong with your logic? Without online examples you'll only waste 90% of your time dealing with syntax errors and language-specific logics instead of solving real problems. This isn't 1950 anymore, senior citizen.

Cobol, lol

Try russian 1C!

>go to college
>refuse to be taught stuff
OK snowflake

>> 3.8 overall GPA
>> hardest courses like Object Oriented Java, Android, Web Dev
look at Mr. von Neumann over here

>hardest courses are freshman tier OOP

further proof that Computer ''''scientists'''' need to stop calling themselves engineers ASAP

That's some okayish bait you got there, but the Web Dev was a bit too much,

>Sheep
>I'll just take everything thrown at me thank you

tutorialspoint.com/cobol/index.htm
Here you go, pleb. Stop whining.

>hardest courses like Object Oriented Java, Android, Web Dev
Le lel

Everyone learned programming without even owning a fucking computer until microcomputers were invented in the 80s, u lil bitch

I rest my case.

> Thinks a language invented by a woman for pointy-haired bosses to program with is hard
> Still trying to act smug to hide his tears at being ridiculed

I bet it feels good sucking an old man's dick

My college still teaches FORTRAN

OP, don't listen to them. no reason to waste your time with needless turmoil.

I was going to say: why would you register for COBOL elective especially with a professor whose ratemyprofessor profile is probably pretty reflective of what you described? but, yeah, just drop the damn class

you learn it.
It isn't that hard if you try it.
faggot

we have an obligatory pascal workshop
and the professor (a ritchie's fan) laughed when I told him that I knew python

>GPA
>2-year

Slow down junior

>There's little to no documentation or examples on the internet
csis.ul.ie/cobol/course/COBOLIntro.htm

literally second google search result, also
>OOJ, Android, Web Dev
So your scripting shit is easy but a programming language designed for use by business men and average joes is a mindfuck for you?