The GTX 590 is still a great GPU

I'm not upgrading from this almost 7 year old GPU for another 3 years. It kicks the ass of the PS4.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B01MCU1ERO/ref=psdc_284822_t1_B01M9FD3PC
youtube.com/watch?v=7csAKeRn-Ic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

a gtx 1050 is faster and supports more but as long as you're happy that's what matters

I could get a 1050 but I have hardly any money. I don't have much of an incentive to upgrade when most of my games run at 1080p 60fps

It's probably just nostalgia for the early 2000's but old GPU coolers looked neat, boxes too.

I'm still using a gtx 660 pretty happily
I'd upgrade to a cheap 960 in the future probably if I ran into problems

I miss my sapphire 4870

So how did you get your hands on a 590?

I went from a X1950 agp in 06', to two pcie X1950s in xfire.
Then grabbed a HD4870x2 in 2008, mostly for Crysis.
Been on a HD7970 since 2012.
Fucking Three slot Behemoth.

Mommy and daddy brought it for me but now I am in college and cant afford it.

Got it for free as a reward for volunteering at a computer place.

You mean late 2000s-early 2010s
Most GPUs of the early 2000s had tiny tiny coolers

Didn't bunch of reviewers fried their GTX 590 back in the day?

That's how nvidia housefire meme coming from.

>It kicks the ass of the PS4.
Begone, Sup Forumstard

Post your first graphics card.

Pic related, it's 2008 and your friend gives you his old GPU, a 7600gt AGP. Somehow it fits in the proprietary case of a Dell Optiplex (but doesn't close all the way) and doesn't burn out the crappy OEM PSU, so now you can run WoW on medium settings at 20fps!

That shit is a power hog, you can power 4 1050's with what that thing spends in electricity tho

>quad the computing power
>for buttcoin mining

I use my Vega 56 for almost all 2D. Bite me.

holy shit, i just realized the 7600 came out 10 years ago.

I remember when i bought my all in wonder 9000 pro.

fuck im old m8s

I have a GTX 760.
I am content with it.
But what sometimes grinds my gears is the fucking fan turning up really loud while I play immersive games.
So I have to turn the volume in the headphone up as well.

Hypothetically, would a graphics card from the year 2020 be as loud as my card playing the same demanding games?

got a 770 from somebody for $100

prolly dont need to upgrade for a few years

Still rocking a GTX 690 because I can't afford to upgrade to an RX 580 yet

Repaste

fan noise depends on multiple factors: case, axial/blower, distance to you
blowers by default will get louder than axials but with a custom fan speed curve you can make both types fairly quiet
another way would be using a noise dampening case (see BeQuiet or some fractal design)
you could also try and not choke your goddam GPU of air and use high quality case fans (see noctua or hydrobearing)
simply isolating the tower from yourself could help too

best case scenario a stock clocked modern GPU with a custom fan curve and adequate ventilation in a noise dampening case that is as physically far away you as practical should not really be audible

Did Fermi age that badly and is SLI support basically dead?

An HD 7870, which at release was definitely slower than a GTX 590, is as fast as a GTX 1050.

R9 270x 4GB version, the thing can take anything I throw at it. Fucking love it.

i know that feel OP
My 1080ti is still kicking everything. wont upgrade until ampere comes out

My integrated GPU is fine, it even runs Photoshop. Feels good not being a video gayming manchild.

I got a 1050 to replace my first artifacting and then being dead 570. It's insane, they have about the same performance but the 1050 only needs 75W while the 570 needed an additional two 6-pin connectors. Totally worth it, and the 1050 is still on the cheap side.

that power draw though

Nvidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro from 2000 to 2003
The memories man

My first proper graphics card (rather than some generic shitty SGVA card) was a GeForce3 Ti500 that I bought off some flight simulator nut at work 20 years ago. It had those newfangled vertex buffer objects and vertex buffer arrays exposed via OpenGL extensions and worked nicely on my 1.4GHz Athlon Thunderbird running Slackware, dgaf if the drivers weren't open sourced.

>tfw 690gtx
Mistakes were made

Same for me

Fuck i remember wanting to play Frets on Fire with that card and failing misserably.

Also CoD runned like dogshit because of T&L.

But that card was a beast for his time in other games.

Then my dad gave me a 6800 Ultra becuase he also wanted to play battlefield Vietnam.

Fuck thats nostalgic.

for real. my geforce 2 i had from 2001 to 2009 didn't even have a fan.

I got a GTX 1080 before the price jump
I never even use it

Should have kept my HD 5970

>a gtx 1050 is faster

That's bullshit though. The 1050 is about as fast as a single 580. The 590 would be significantly faster in situations where there's both SLI support and less than 1.5GB VRAM usage, albeit for more than 4x the power consumption.

This except a 1080 Ti. The most demanding game I play is WoW. I'd cash in on the current market if I could get my 690 working again, but it seems to be dead.

AMD drivers have gotten better NVidia drivers have gotten worse, what more can you expect?

MOVE OVER KIDS, THIS IS THE BEST GRAPHICS CARD EVER MADE

You better selling it? Aren't they like double msrp?

I built my system in 2011 with pic related and AMD Phenom II X6 1090T6-Core 3.2 GHz. Would a 1050 be a decent upgrade? I don't want to shell out for a new build until the GPU market deflates.

Massive upgrade. But get the 4GB Ti card.

Can't find a proper image on the nets, and I don't know where mine is at the moment to take a picture, but this is basically it.

VisionTek GeForce2 MX200 32MB (PCI), bought in spring 2002.

is the mini okay?
amazon.com/dp/B01MCU1ERO/ref=psdc_284822_t1_B01M9FD3PC
Its hard to find gpus at a decent price

Is there a good source online that will give you a comparable Radeon card for Nicosia and vice versa?

I'd like to get an amd card but their naming scheme is way too confusing

>amazon.com/dp/B01MCU1ERO/ref=psdc_284822_t1_B01M9FD3PC
Just so you know, that's fully 50% over MSRP.

there is no MSRP anymore. That's why im considering a 1050 on my current build over building a new rig with a bigger card. minimize the damage.
still wondering about the mini? is it subpar to a full size card?

As long as it's able to do what you want you should never feel the need to upgrade anything for the sake of upgrading.

I used to have two 560tis in SLI but after one died and the other started going to shit I upgraded to a 1070ti.
I honestly miss my two twin frozr II cards they were cute.
And back then, when overclocked and on SLI they beat the shit out of a lot of stuff for a fraction of the cost. I'm pretty sure SLI nowadays is shit though since most companies aren't giving proper support for it.

bought this to put in my moms pentium III gateway so I could play everquest with my bros

Aopen geforce3 ti500 from some used computer shop. Does aopen even exist anymore?

5-10% slower tops. Seller cooler means more heat and less gpu boost

The fucker is water-cooled so I'd have to take apart a loop to sell it
But then again low end GPUs are still cheap since you can't really mine with them.

>As long as it's able to do what you want you should never feel the need to upgrade anything for the sake of upgrading.

This.

i see. thanks. I will have to wait until they're in stock. maybe the price will drop in a month or so.

pleb

Not quite right. 7870 is GCN. The same architecture vega uses. On nvidias side only maxwell(900series & 750(ti)) cards are using the same architecture as pascal. So whenever nvidia does optimization for pascal maxwell gets most of it as well, but the older architectures don't. On AMDs side they are using gcn for 6 years now. So most optimizations for polaris and vega can improve performance for cards like the 7870 as well. That's what some faggots call the "FineWine" while in the end its just amd being too poor to afford a new up to date architecture. So yeah it "ages better" but not because AMDs driver are becoming that much better. No just because AMD had no money to develop a new architecture so they use the old one.

1998 - ATI Xpert 98 pci (Still own)
1999 - 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 pci (Still own, got two of them)
Ran the Voodoo and Xpert cards in a IBM Aptiva AMD K6 200 mhz w/32mb ram pc.

2001 - ATI Radeon 32mb SDR pci (Still own, full functional ver, not the gimped VE later rev.)
2004 - Geforce 6800GT (Still own)
The 6800GT is still in service, housed in semi retro box along with an Opteron 185 w/2GB ram. Box was built in 2004/5 and has remained in the same state since then (all parts same). Still got the 5.1 speakers for it in box to.

2008 - Geforce 8800GT (Died 2014,rip)
2014 - Geforce 740 GT (current)
The 8800GT (later 740 GT) is/was housed in my current main rig. That box has a Phenom II x4 955 w/32GB ram

>GT 620
Good lord. Did your intel graphics fry or something?

This is the bad boy that made my debut into pc gaming back in 2008. I remember the first game I tested on it was Left 4 Dead, which ran like absolute ass on my family's old HP. Seeing the game run like butter on high settings was fucking magical.

>7870 is GCN. The same architecture vega uses.

That is a very broad comparison given the differences Vega has to GCN 1.0. Christ even hawaii took a massive step forward by making ACE programmable - something not available in tahiti (which iirc includes the 7870 XLT or whatever the fuck AMD called the cut down 7950 model).

>That's what some faggots call the "FineWine" while in the end its just amd being too poor to afford a new up to date architecture.

AMD bet on compute POWA over more shaders a lot earlier than Nvidia did. Volta is the true successor to Kepler because it is also a compute favouring architecture. This is also why scuttlebutt has Nvidia finally going for a true split between the srs bsns quadro/tesla cards that will use a setup for compute throughput and the GTX lineup that will be (relatively) more shader heavy.

GCN is a fucking beast at compute tasks if you feed it so - there was a time when people would rather mine bitcoin (actual bitcoin, not some other coin) on 7970's than the OG titan because fat tahiti was faster.

>there was a time when people would rather mine bitcoin (actual bitcoin, not some other coin) on 7970's than the OG titan because fat tahiti was faster.

>building first desktop
>chose 7950
>Sup Forums told me wait since new gen was coming out
>just wait user, prices will go down
>wait, price drops
>Ican'twait.jpg
>order 7950 for $190
>mfw literally a week later they were $300+ because of buttcoin hitting the normie market

The only reason tahiti is not the GODMACHINE of gpus is entirely because hawaii exists. From 9800GT -> 7970 -> 290x -> ??? (most likely 980ti).

i've got myself a 690 that i bought 2 years ago for 150 euros. still no need to upgrade for 1080p.

I only upgraded last spring, I was still able to play 99% of titles at at least medium/60FPS. Except for shit that no one could run, like Watch Dogs and Unity when it came out.

>10FPS at minimum settings

Both games are cpu killers (along with the newly released kingdom come: deliverance). The i5 is dead user.

I have an i7 now, but I just used those two because basically everyone that wasn't running a 4770k and 980ti's couldn't play them.

I'd love to be able to make proper sense, of that graph, really.

youtube.com/watch?v=7csAKeRn-Ic

tl;dr is stop being a Sup Forumsirgin and by a Sup Forumsentoo approved cpu.

I went from a 660 to 960

spooky

It has a q6600, they didn't have integrated gpu's

Same

My first decent graphics card I had was a gtx 260
Made by some dead company called BFG tech
Then I got the 660 and the 960

Matrox MGA Millennium 2MB PCI

This was in 2002. Life was suffering.

I'm still using my 290x. Unless I go to 4k, I don't see any reason to upgrade.

The 7950 was a great card. I bought a 3GB MSI TFII for $250 when I was putting my first system together, ran it up until late last year at 1050/1400 when I bought a used 980Ti, again for $250. The only real reason I upgraded when I did was to play PUBG with my buddies. The 7950 could do PUBG at 1080p on low and get 55fps, and did 70fps when I upgraded from Piledriver to Ryzen, but the frame times and visual stutter were just awful.

My friends don't even play PUBG anymore due to school/work, but I'm glad I upgraded when I did because I made out like a bandit considering the current market for RAM and GPUs

>kek

And it only has the TDP of 20 PS4's put together.

>666MHz
Wasn't DDR3-1600 standard when you bought all of your components?

I believe I was 13 when I bought this card. You had made memories come back by looking this up. Thanks user :_ )

It's a good feeling of keeping old objects from years ago that still flawlessly work great.

I have a GTX 740, and I'm able to get great performance with it on PC games. Despite that I sometimes randomly get not loss of frames per second, but long freezes when I play a demanding intensive game, I would say it still does its job.

first good gayming card i had

Should i upgrade my Radon 4760?

Probably but now's not a good time.

Intel 65nm cpus often had intel GMA graphics built onto the board unless it was an enthusiast board.

Im running a gt 520 and it can't run anything outside of mobas and he arthstone. Whats a good cheap upgrade on the amd side of things

Those good old times with my 486.

>supposedly not manchild
>doesn't use gnu

Ffs it's DDR, so 2*666mhz

rx 550

>*clears throat*
>Attention everybody, we're gonna forget that environment stuff and, ah, use a chip for computer games. Back to work.

That's not the 7970.