Try to learn programming with Harvard CS50 from Edx

>try to learn programming with Harvard CS50 from Edx

>literally had to look up the solution to the first problem set, did not even understand completely how the solution actually works

Should I just give up? Am I too much of a brainlet to learn programming? Why is it so hard to go from the theoretical basis to actual practice?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.cs50.net/problems/mario/less/mario.html
docs.cs50.net/2018/x/psets/0/pset0.html
docs.cs50.net/2018/x/psets/1/pset1.html
leanpub.com/javascriptallongesix/read
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The human mind is not capable of abstract thinking. That's why god gave us a more advanced second "mind" that could overcome the shortcomings of the brain: The penis. While your brain has no idea what to do and how to do it your dick always has an answer. It just knows better. Ever wondered why all great inventions and all important concepts in science, mathematics etc. are done by men, not women? Now you know why. So stop using ur brain and start thinking with your dick if you want to archive anything.

retards like you make me feel better about myself, thanks

Just skip the course and bs yourself into a job like all the other self-taught programmers lol

Yes, I wrote my first operating system the day I was born. After that it's already too late.

>brainlet excuses: the post

I wouldn't be too disheartened. If you are new to programming then it's understandable that you need time to adjust and develop a problem solving mindset. Working through problems with solutions should teach you what an ideal solution looks like. When learning music most classical students learn to sight read and play pieces the correct way before trying to interpret it in their own way. Over time you will be able to intuitively solve programming problems so just keep trying.

Thank you for the kind words user. I looked up some basic exercises with solutions online and I am going through them.

>literally had to look up the solution to the first problem set
FUCKING BAD

At least struggle with it and redo the lesson for a few hours before you give up.

how was I supposed to know that I had to nest for loops when they had barely explained what a for loop is? How is one supposed to get to that intuitively?

>be brainlet
>be dicklet
I'm not gonna make it.

What was the first problem?

Thanks for the kek user

Hello World

>how was I supposed to know that I had to nest for loops when they had barely explained what a for loop is
Find a better resource

docs.cs50.net/problems/mario/less/mario.html

how is that even an argument?

Do it again, then sleep on it. The subconscious mind is fucking rad.

kill yourself please

It's this:
docs.cs50.net/2018/x/psets/0/pset0.html

or this:
docs.cs50.net/2018/x/psets/1/pset1.html

Either way, OP's not looking too good.

Read this book before you attempt to learn computer science. It'll change your thinking into something that makes it easier to grasp computing concepts.

Its advice you fucking brainlet

I actually already know all that stuff. I've studied computer architecture and operating systems . I've done theoretical cs and all that pure math. I've done a l out.

But when it comes to programing? I just can't

LA LUZ EXTINGUIDO

College in US is fucking weird: you're supposed to have read a huge amount of course material BEFORE the lecture, which makes its content obvious to you already if you do, and then have to struggle for HOURS on monitored study groups. TA are the ones that actually teach you stuff in the end.

Isn't that Harvard course an into to comp Sci... Just go and buy a fucking book.

My favorite book is: leanpub.com/javascriptallongesix/read

Starts out so damn simple!

the latter

will check it out

how does it excuse the course from being bad at progressing the difficulty though?

>dicklet

You just need penis enlargement pills. Duh...

>how does it
It doesn't

I remember trying this two years ago and having the same problem as you. I also had 0 programming experience, I looked up the solutions and it looked fucking foreign to me. Maybe we're both just brainlets, but I feel like they don't even explain the shit you're supposed to use.

>tfw la luz extinguido is smarter than me

Don't feel bad, you can't win 'em all

no, just keep going, this is how people learn, by bashing their heads against tough stuff

Start with codeacedemy then come back. It's obvious you need a bit of hand holding.

maybe they do it on purpose so you'll be forced to pay for Harvard

Don't feel too dumb OP, I went into that course with some programming experience (already comfortable with loops and arrays and shit), and I still found it quite difficult. I even remember thinking that I definitely would have given up if I'd gone in with 0 programming experience.

Learning things takes time and lots of practice. Having a higher IQ expedites the process but learning difficult things takes a long time.

that problem doesn’t need a nested for loop. Just define i = 2, and use a while or for loop to print the i number of pound signs on a line. Do i = i+1 until the maximum height is reached.

>literally had to look up the solution to the first problem set, did not even understand completely how the solution actually works
welcome to stem higher education

Pffff!
Programming isn't easy. Learning something new is always the hardest part.

Invest some time, read a book, look at other peoples code, and program some programs and you will learn it!

#include
#include

int main()
{
// Declare and intialize variables
int pyramid_height = 0;

// Grab user input, check it and ask for retry if not within bounds
do {
printf("Height:");
pyramid_height = GetInt();
if (pyramid_height == 0)
{
return 0;
}
} while (pyramid_height < 1 || pyramid_height > 23);

for(int i = 0; i < pyramid_height; i++)
{
// Print the required spaces
for(int j = 0; j < pyramid_height-i-1; j++)
{
printf("%s", " ");
}
// Print the '#' character.
for(int k = 0; k < i+2; k++)
{
printf("#");
}
printf("\n");
}
return 0;
}