Tell me why I should use this

Tell me why I should use this

Other urls found in this thread:

node-os.com/
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0115069
twitter.com/AnonBabble

learn html/css instead.

blink/quantum meme is much more powerful and better at laying out text.

If you ask this question, then you don't need it

I'd only use it if you were doing a dissertation or like a 10+ page paper for a STEM class.

Spotted the english major

Because all the cool kids use it and the documents look nice. Lots of useful packages, but that really depends on what you want to do.

The default font and typesetting just look like people expect scientific writing to look like. It seems to impress people, especially those who don't know what fucking Latex is.

>html/css
No, just no
Html+css+js is so fucked up that I sometimes think we should just burn it down and make new ”web” based on pdf generated by LaTeX that "link" each other
Fuck dom manipulation, iframes and html5 media, it was a mistake, just download the file

truth hurts? name one good thing about your shitty macro language that can't be done better with modern web shit?

ya ok retard.

at least I'm capable of understanding my layouts and don't have to rely on gigabytes of macros written by other retards over the culmination of decades and still have to put a shitload of effort to make it work correctly.

>that can't be done better with modern web shit
You could build a fucking OS with "web shit", it's Turing complete, everything is possible
But it would be shit
And that's the point
An information interchange format and network like the web should be based in static formats, text and some pictures, and links to download files
Also it should promote content creation instead of consumption and bloat

"Modern web shit" fail at that so they suck
It was a big mistake

the age of CGI, server side rendering shit are over and for good reason.

maybe you're ok with slow, page loading bullshit with virtually zero interactivity but most people are not.
ever since javascript has gone under rigorous standardization the quality of the web and websites have gotten much more usable.

*TeX is based on an era before people knew how to make good languages and it shows for anyone who's actually bothered to use it at a level that isn't consuming a shitload of \usepackage{puresuerpmagicmacrosfromhell}

Just use pandoc markdown. it has a pandoc markdown -> LaTeX backend that works for 95% of use cases for that garbage language. for media, you're probably using superior tools like graphviz or some other canvas drawing tool that makes your other figures.

>Tell me why I should use this
Why? Because you're a homosexual.

>You could build a fucking OS with "web shit"
They have: node-os.com/

>more usable

What the fuck are you dribbling about? Javascript in most cases is used for ads, tracking, privacy violation, and when its not, its used for bloat. More usable my ass.

>mfw

>want to use latex
>realize I have nothing worth writing

Spoken like a truly clueless fucktard.

>Thinking that the world is only HTML/CSS
Those codemonkeys web "developers" are fucking cancer,

Not an argument.

Because of this.

If you're formatting a document, it's actually easier in markup, especially a very explicity markup like TeX.

Word documents pick up all sorts of weirdness and cascading fuckups. I'd rather document in nroff than fucking ms turd.

Depending on your document it might also be worth considering lout or even markdown.

ebin le maymay reditor xd

Imaginary documents?
Try, for example, write a master's thesis in MS Word vs LaTeX.

>write a master's thesis in MS Word
Not him, but my girlfriend is doing this right now, it's scary to look at. Anything over 10 pages is easier in LaTeX.

>t. the web developer
>master's thesis
of course they never will do anything like this

because it makes typing fun

Anything more complex than jerking off to the latest hardware and anime is literally impossible to grasp for these retards.

In order to feel superior.

HTML/CSS is actually great. JS and other hipster shit fucked it up for everyone. IFrames are shit, though.

Latex is shit. Is not a stand-alone typesetting program in itself you need TeX distribution (a 400 MB app), download the editor (MiKTeX or proTeXt or TeX Live + other 200 MB of bloated junk)

And all those apps are Latex dialects, with the same tex file you get different results.

you have heard about nodejs, right?

>He doesn't know about online TeX editors

>websites have gotten much more usable.
>Average webpage is now larger than the original version of Doom

I wrote my diploma thesis in Latex.

On a 486 with 4 MB RAM.

I know that feel. Maybe transcribe some books.

> to feel

to be

> HTML/CSS is actually great

No, a templating language and SCSS are "near" to acceptable, but still can become a mess very quickly. HTML/CSS sucks for anything bigger than small stuff.

> nodejs
> usable

do you even dep clusterfuck bro

>The choice of an efficient document preparation system is an important decision for any academic researcher. To assist the research community, we report a software usability study in which 40 researchers across different disciplines prepared scholarly texts with either Microsoft Word or LaTeX. The probe texts included simple continuous text, text with tables and subheadings, and complex text with several mathematical equations. We show that LaTeX users were slower than Word users, wrote less text in the same amount of time, and produced more typesetting, orthographical, grammatical, and formatting errors. On most measures, expert LaTeX users performed even worse than novice Word users. LaTeX users, however, more often report enjoying using their respective software. We conclude that even experienced LaTeX users may suffer a loss in productivity when LaTeX is used, relative to other document preparation systems. Individuals, institutions, and journals should carefully consider the ramifications of this finding when choosing document preparation strategies, or requiring them of authors.

journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0115069

figures

Latex was my family until I found Markdown. Documentation is easier than ever now.

>prepared scholarly texts
A bit misleading, the actual method involved was:
"The participants were instructed to reproduce the source text within thirty minutes."

So they had to duplicate an already prepared document, not write a new one... as actual users of these systems would be doing.

It also doesn't examine collaboration or maintenance/version control of documentation (understandably hard to do in only 30 minutes).

The "psychological" discussion at the end is pretty hilarious too. If you want a serious academic discussion, don't include the scaremongering tactics of "it remains an open question to determine the amount of taxpayer money that is spent worldwide for researchers to use LaTeX over a more efficient document preparation system". I would actually have been interested if they hadn't made their bias so obvious. Neither system is perfect and good results might have given some insight to improving both.

Baby Rudin might be a good idea user. The only online copy I’ve seen is not TeX-ed but scanned pictures.

Grad school

It's useful if you have something relaly specific you want done, or are a math/phys person. Otherwise markdown and word are better.