/pcbg/ - PC Building General

We pimpin edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

Need help?:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X ARE SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G, BUT UNLESS YOU BUY A COMBO YOU'LL LIKELY NEED TO HAVE THE BIOS UPDATED
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for holding out until GPU prices drop
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VMs / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933-3200 MHz is ideal
>Dual rank memory is often cheaper than comparable higher MHz memory (ie Crucial Ballistix Sport)
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Cryptocurrency miners have driven GPU prices up
1080p
>MSRPs: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) FPS
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) FPS
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't waste money on a GPU that drives much higher FPS than your monitor's Hz for "future proofing". Save to upgrade later.
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory
>Consider a single larger SSD instead of both a small SSD + much larger HDD.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/kGLQzY
pcpartpicker.com/list/3kqttg
bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-qhd-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502
reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/4y3pzd/best_display_settings_for_dell_s2716dg/
pcpartpicker.com/list/hX7j4q
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119004&cm_re=crosshair_VI-_-13-119-004-_-Product
amazon.com/Noctua-NF-F12-chromax-black-swap-premium-grade-quiet/dp/B07654PNFQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1518920238&sr=8-6&keywords=noctua chromax
amazon.com/Noctua-NA-SAVP1-Chromax-Anti-Vibration-Mount/dp/B018SOU3UG/ref=pd_sim_147_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B018SOU3UG&pd_rd_r=HQ2D4F9GH9VNJJZX2XHD&pd_rd_w=x7iDA&pd_rd_wg=yojP4&psc=1&refRID=HQ2D4F9GH9VNJJZX2XHD&dpID=31Fj3MCuimL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fug that lanboy my man.

Also. I have an AsRock 970m pro3. Before I invest inna beefy cooler and risk fucking up my only powerful build is this even a good board to overclock on? I've got:
>8350 black edition
>PSU is an EVGA 600B.
>GPU is the EVGA 960 4gig card with the super clock and the ACX cooler on it.

Anybody else overclock on the same/similar hardware?

>8350
>powerful

lol

You can’t event consistently get 144fps in overmeme with that garbage cpu

You want to offer advice or make fun of my build? When I built it that was about the best I could get without paying the jewtel tax.

Just did a half-time upgrade on my pc, three hours just to swap PSU and GPU.

>didn't count on the fact that the new gpu was longer in the sense that the power connection would get behind HDD holder plate (case: Fractal Core 2300)
>new power cables are very stiff, don't want to bend with that little head room
>grab the included cable in the gpu box instead
>its an 8 to two 6 pin connector
>gpu requires one 8 pin and one 6 pin
>the fuck asus
>worst case scenario: dremel the hdd plate
>search through house, cant find dremel
>remember that I loaned it to mom
>fug
>mount everything back and try to fit the cables regardless
>somehow manage to get a nice bend that doesn't put any pressure on the gpu
>victory

Should have bought a new case from the start

Just a friendly reminder that getting a refurbished office PC with a 3rd or 4th gen i5(i7 if you get a lucky find) and 8-16gbs of ram is the absolute best deal poorfags can get right now.

All you gotta do is throw in a low profile 1050ti.

Also, stop making a new thread before the old one hits the archives you fucking newfags.

>When I built it that was about the best I could get without paying the jewtel tax

Mostly everyone here sucked up and bought Intel up until Ryzen launched. Politics isn't worth it if you are just gonna gimp your own system by it.

And if you want to invest in a better cooler for overclocking, what are your current temps at load with old cooler and clock speeds?

>Also, stop making a new thread before the old one hits the archives you fucking newfags.

I made a new one because the catalog was empty.

I had the exact same CPU as my last one. I ditched it for a used Intel 3770k I found on craigslist. I had a motherboard to go with it. HUGE difference in games.

used 3770k + 1080 gpu is god tier. my 8350 was hard bottlenecking my 1080 before. it's not bad at all now.

as far as overclocking you can go to about 4.5ghz with a decent cooler. overclocking those amd cpu's is just trash though man, they won't go over 65-70c* without throttling. and you have to turn off a whole bunch of settings to get it to not throttle. and even then it will still throttle on you.

overclocking intel cpu's is way easier.. mine can go up to 105c and doesn't throttle until then... now i'm only hitting 85c in prime 95 under full load.

so my ultimate suggestion is to get rid of that shit cpu and get a used intel like a 2500k, 2600k, 3770k, or a 4700k

Is there a new series of AMD video cards on the horizon or should I get an RX 560 now? I would go for a 570 or 580, but all the cards are out of stock with the mining thing going on.

480 used is prolly better.

Or a 1050. But nvidia should release their new lineup soon (Im guessing two months), I would expect the budget segment to be getting a real boost.

Get a evga 1060 6 gig

Ryzen 1200 + ssd or Ryzen 1600 + hdd?
Is it really worth having an ssd?

save for 1600 + ssd

yes. it's like going black, you don't go back

Would try to survive with an hdd until i upgrade to ssd then. I guess the 1600 would last me much more than a 1200

I'm not sure how I gimped my system though? It ran better than all of my buddies with new Intel chips and I still paid less.
It still has the stock cooler because I had no intentions of overclocking until now but it never got above 70ish under load. The rig still handles anything I throw at it at over 60fps most of the time on max everything except I had the cheapest Crucial ram in it I could get up till now

I guess I don't "NEED" to do anything more to it but I just want to know if I can you dig?
I did just upgrade the ram though from that 8 gig kit and I scored 24 gigs of RAM brand new ( 16 gig kit @ 1600 and an 8 gig kit at 1866) for $60. I'm hoping once I'm back home I can work on getting that all working and test the system under load

>nvidia
Need AMD; have a freesync monitor

need 2200G mobo

Can someone link me to a good video build guide for first timers? I'm looking at my parts right now and I really don't wanna fuck anything up. Also this DH 15, jesus fucking christ its so big what the hell

8600k or 8700?

its almost impossible to fuck it up man.. everything is common sense and plug and play. Dong forget thermal paste, Dont over tighten shit. If you think its to loose then its fine. Take your time and dont try to rush it

Just built this thing yesterday. Cost $1800 and so far seems to be a really well rounded build. No bottlenecking and all the performance you need for casual gaming with good fps

same. What do you anons recommend for us?

>seagate

New-egg flash sales make a man do things hes not proud of.

Anyone used an all in one pc
saw the hp envy all in Windows 10 Home 64
7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor
16 GB memory; 2 TB HDD storage; 256 GB SSD storage
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 950M
(listing on hp is 1700$) the one in my local store is selling for 1300
should i get it never really built a pc before is it worth it

pcpartpicker.com/list/kGLQzY

Is there a way to go any cheaper with this without sacrificing too much?

Well considering that's not even counting the gpu (prices are fucked, thanks bitcoin fags) it's hard to say.

What benefit would there be to paying an extra 30USD for an ASRock X370 Taichi over the ASRock X370 KILLER SLI? If they're both shit, what would a good X370 board be?

i3-6100 + H110m mATX mobo + case + 600W Deepcool 80Plus bronze PSU.

What's a fair price for this used?

I just purchased a GTX 1060 SC 3GB is there any difference between the 6GB?

It was a difference of 150 dollars, and my rig isn't super great desu

200 ish i'd say

the 6GB version has 3GB more GDDR than the 3GB version

slightly lower clocks and slightly less shader cores. About a 10% perf loss in games where the 3GB of vram isn't an issue

so i just pulled the trigger on this how bad did i fuck up

dont give a toss about your IPS meme

My gamer / 3d Designer / Mining PC :

CPU : I5-6400 Oc 3.5ghz
RAM : 32gb DDR4 Oc 3200mhz
GPU1 : Rx 580 8gb
GPU2 : Rx 580 4gb
GPU3 : GTX 1070
GPU4 : GTX 1060 3gb
GPU5 : GTX 1060 3gb
GPU6 : Rx 570 8gb
HDD : 3TB HDD
PC Chase : Zalman Z3+ with a GPU 8-slot GPU frame
PSU : 2*650W Njoy Woden
Mobo : MSI B150 PC Mate

I want to upgrade the CPU because it's bottlenecks in rendering and gaming really hard but the best I can upgrade is a I7-7700K , that's good enough?

Mixing AMD and Nvidia GPUs for mining is a huge PITA. It's possible but you're likely to get reduced hashrates if it works at all.

Don't buy a 6 or 7 series Intel. You'd be throwing money away.

They work really good but Overclocking programs can sometimes fuck up the multi-Gpu build by setting all of the cards to the same overclock settings.

They mine fine everything is okey and I am getting the HashRates I wanted and I am pretty comfy with it.
Use the GTX 1070 for gaming and the Rx 580 8gb for 3d rendering...

So I should buy a new Mobo?
Which Mobo you recommend?
I7-8700K will be enough strong or I will need to go with the Threadripper for a this high-end PC?

dont fucking lie to me fag

pcpartpicker.com/list/3kqttg

i want to get the h100i but I am afraid of leaking

i would get the nh d15 but it looks ugly

what the fuck do i do.jpg

Somebody PLEASE tell me why my new rig is being fucking autistic.

I am not lying the only problem I got from mixing up amd with Nvidia is that MSI afterburner sometimes fuck up the overclock settings but nothing other.

Get 30/31 MH/s with my Rx 580s on 75W
Get 475 Sol/s (EquiHash) with my GTX 1070 on 155W
Get 275 Sol/s with my GTX 1060s on 80W
And get 29 MH/s out of my Rx 570

I think that's close what I need to get with these cards ( should mention that my GTX 1070 isn't that good in ethereum mining and that's why it's mining EquiHash instead )

What motherboard? Looks to me like you R5-1600 is utilizing all 12 threads 100%, but they're capping out at 1.5ghz because of voltage ceiling. Look at your max voltage at the top. You're peaking at 1.0v. Even a stock 1600 or 1700 hits 1.15-1.2v Some things to check so we don't have to back and forth for stupid shit
>High performance mode active on Windows?
>Latest BIOS revision on your motherboard?

Not at all.
I'm using one right now, a little adjustment and it's wonderful.

dont mean to be a bother but what specific adjustments?

MSi B350 tomahawk.
I would bet that almost any suggestion you offer, i've probably tried to do.

High performance mode on, brand new bios (probably have tried at least 3 different bios versions, including a beta but no luck)

The voltage is stuck at 1 i swear, manually setting a different clock speed or voltage doesn't change a thing.

Depending on where you live and how much tax you're required to pay for online transactions, you fucked up to the tune of $30-$80
bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-qhd-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502

pic related. What you should be seeing. Does your CPU do that for every single program or bench/game? Is your version of HWmonitor the latest? How about Cinebench?

reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/4y3pzd/best_display_settings_for_dell_s2716dg/
Yes, I know but try to ignore the site.
I tried both and used the second one listed.

i couldnt have gotten to a best buy though

Does the same thing for cinebench, prime95, the stress test in cpu-z and hell, it even reads low in task manager. Also booted up Linux Mint xfce and terminal reads cpu at a low speed. Even in games (warframe for example), nothing boosts speeds

Looking around online, it seems it's a common problem for that board? Are you within the return period? If so return it and get something different. A lot of people have had good luck with the ASrock AB350 Pro4. Or the Asus B350-F strix.

The one "fix" that some swear works is to re-flash the 1.62 BIOS AGAIN over the already flash 1.62 BIOS.

alright got that bookmarked for when it arrives

at what price range do cpu coolers beat the wraith stealth

Yea that sounds to me like a bum board. Sorry user. Return it and try something different is what I'd do.

$15+

The wraith Spire cooler (what comes with the R5-1600 and R7-1700) are good. The wraith MAX is on par with a Hyper 212 EVO. The stealth is only OK. If you're not overclocking, don't let it bother you.

Yeah apparently its pretty common? I've flash these bios numerous times and nothing comes out of it.

Would it be a board problem or a cpu problem? Board seems more likely since it never delivers more than 1 volt to the cpu

You do realize you could have ordered it straight from their website, right? You don't actually have to go into a store.
Bestbuy probably has better return policies than some unknown through Amazon, if you get a bad panel or have dead pixels.

Yea if you've exhausted all potential problems and still not having it work right, time to return the board. And yea, 99% of the time, the motherboard is at fault. It takes quite a bit to kill or corrupt a CPU from functioning properly. Short of giving it double the recommended voltage 24/7 for months on end.

Now if the problem still occurs on a new board, it would point to the CPU. Pic related is what I've put in a few people's builds already. Ranging from R3-1200 based budget gaming builds, to R7-1800X editing PCs. Haven't heard complaints from anyone yet. I personally use an ASUS X370 ROG Hero board.

what about just for the vega apu with like a 1600mhz clock?

The 2200G and 2400G are like Ryzen. They run relatively cool on their stock coolers even with a minor OC at the cost of increased noise levels. Your stealth cooler should keep the APU under 75C with ease assuming you don't have the voltage at a ridiculous level.

However if you can afford it, get a bigger/more efficient cooler. a CM Hyper 212 EVO/LED/X Turbo are $30. Big heatsink and fan means better temps/less noise.

I think at this point I have tested pretty much everything.

This is the rest of the build if it alters your mb recommendations. pcpartpicker.com/list/hX7j4q

What sort of max 24/7 overclock do 8700Ks commonly hit?

i build my pc ~4 years ago
looking to replace my ram and cpu and was wondering if it would be better to just sell my pc as is, less the hardrives and then make a new one

i5 3570k, 8gb ddr3, gtx 980, some gigabyte mobo

any advice?

Assuming you De-lid your CPU in favor of better thermal paste, you can hit 4.8ghz easily with moderate voltage. Keep in mind you'll require a decent cooler regardless. Coffee lake runs hot.

>still running an 8800GTX
Goodness user. Might be time for a GPU upgrade as well. Even a GT1030 would be a step up.

Anyhow, the rest of the build looks solid enough. Just a bum board. Keep in mind your memory may not be on the QVL list for an AM4 board because Ryzen is picky like that. You may only hit say 2933mhz out of the 3000mhz your kit is rated for.

Eh actually a free gift from a friend, I didn't have a gpu since I had a shitty i3 with integrated graphics, and this is my first real build. This memory was on the qvl for the msi board, I made sure of that.

I guess i'll send back the board and try another brand. If that doesn't work then ill probably send back the cpu in favor of a 2400g, given that I'm actually within the return period at that point.

Should I get the crosshairs VI hero or the x370f strix?

I've been building for a while and I've been burnt on MSI and Gigabyte equally. I've never had an issue with Asus or Asrock. So yea either the ASrock AB350 Pro4 or Asus B350-F Strix.

The Asus board has better audio from what I've seen on reviews.

Should I buy the nh-d15 cooler for overclocking the i7 8700k? Or should I buy some watercooler?

Not really an audiophile myself so i wouldn’t be too concerned with that. And Asrock board is cheaper, cause poorfag here. Guess that’s my new board

Currently considering upgrading to Ryzen 5 1600 from a 3570k.

Worth?

If you have the budget, the Crosshair VI. The Strix line is their budget ROG line really. Crosshair always gets the VIP treatment from Asus. BIOS updates etc.

If you REALLY have the budget, the Asus Crosshair VI Extreme. More USB ports on the I/O, a shit load of 4 pin PWM controllers, and USB 3.0 header/24 pin connectors are angled at 45 degrees for better wire runs. E-ATX though.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119004&cm_re=crosshair_VI-_-13-119-004-_-Product

In the middle of my first build. Case fans obviosuly connect to the sys_fan slots but what about my DH15. Same thing l?

Are you doing nothing but gaming? Your best bet would simply be to OC your existing 3570K if not already.
Well put. Good luck with your new board user. Hope it all works out.
The Nh-D15 is a very good cooler. It handled my FX-9370 @ 5.1ghz. It should be able to handle a moderate clocked i7-8700k. If you're really looking to wring every last bit of performance out of your 8700k though, you'll need to de-lid and go with a water solution yes. If budget is no issue, a 360mm custom radiator loop would be ideal. Then you also have to take into consideration the heat from your VRM's though. I'd say a 5.0ghz clock on air without melting your PC is doable if your case has decent air flow. My buddy has his 8700k @ 5.6ghz under custom water using mayhem liquid metal in place of the stock TIM and is running a bare metal block.

Super super elementary question here, but I bought this board off of amazon. So is that a return to amazon? Or a return to msi?

Your cooler is oriented the wrong way. It should be facing the fan in the back of the case to properly vent the hot air. As it sits now your Cooler would be blowing hot air right onto the back of where your video card will be.

Also CPU fans should connect to the header that says "CPU_FAN or CPU_OPT". You can also get a PWM 4 pin splitter to have both fans connect to the same 4 pin connector.

>My buddy has his 8700k @ 5.6ghz under custom water using mayhem liquid metal in place of the stock TIM and is running a bare metal block.
i see

i will buy air cooling then

The DH won't fit in my case side to side. It has to go top to bottom. Won't reversing the fans send air uowards out the top of the case?

The seller. You'd only go through MSI if Amazon said you can't return it because you still have the manufacturer warranty. Shit Amazon may just let you keep the fucking thing, defective or not. My friend got shipped a GTX980 back in the day whose fan had a chipped blade. He went to return it for a good one and Amazon just told him "keep it, the new one is on the way". All a tax write off for them.

Meant for

Noctua's good shit. I have an Enermax TR4 360 and replaced the fans with Noctuas and it runs much quieter at the same super low temps.

what case do you have? If your cooler fits in that orientation, it should fit the other way. If you flip the fans, yes, the hot air will pump out the top of the case. But still then, the heat from your GPU would be getting directly pulled into your CPU heatsink.

I want to get noctua now to be honest, but it looks really ugly...

i guess

Thanks user, you've been most helpful tonight

I have a 400C and a Z370 Carbon Pro. The 2nd fan of the Noctua wont fit because it rests on top of the ram just far enough to where I can close the side of the case

Buy parts for a new build or pay my college courses?
what do

not a problem. If you can, make it a point to complain about how much time and effort this defective piece of tech has been and how you shouldn't be forced to pay for shipping. I had a Powercolor R9-290X sent to me with a bad memory module. They sent me a label to print out for free shipping to AND from Amazon.

I got these
amazon.com/Noctua-NF-F12-chromax-black-swap-premium-grade-quiet/dp/B07654PNFQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1518920238&sr=8-6&keywords=noctua chromax

Sadly they only come with 4 of each color of rubber bits, so you have to mix the back and white ones on each fan if you want a monochrome build.

Oh I guess they sell extra rubber bits: amazon.com/Noctua-NA-SAVP1-Chromax-Anti-Vibration-Mount/dp/B018SOU3UG/ref=pd_sim_147_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B018SOU3UG&pd_rd_r=HQ2D4F9GH9VNJJZX2XHD&pd_rd_w=x7iDA&pd_rd_wg=yojP4&psc=1&refRID=HQ2D4F9GH9VNJJZX2XHD&dpID=31Fj3MCuimL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Will make a note of that. This is day 4 of troubleshooting and quite frankly i've just had enough.

ahh OK. That changes things. you could always orient your cooler the right way and take off the fan near the RAM. Fans have higher CFM when pulling through a radiator/shroud as opposed to pushing anyway.
pay for your college courses you fucking dingus. Then use your college education to get a great job, make just all the monies. From there you'll never have to ask "OR" about anything again. You just buy what you want when you want. Only question you'll have to ask is what color Porsche 911 GT Turbo should you get.

NOW THATS PRETTY
but now that i research i think i might get the cryorig r1 ultimate

College courses, to get a good degree, to get a good job, to make a lot of money, to pour all of your income into the your build

if i power you on, will you fly ?

Trying to figure out all these fucking connections between the board and the case. The board sys_fan connectors are 4 pin but the actual case fans are 3 pin. Do they plug into those and just not use all the pins? I assume HDaudio plugs into Jaudio? And finally is sys_pump for my cpu cooler? No other slots named for anything I would think of to plug in as

When will GPU prices go down???

sick of sitting on a 1050 gtx

3 pins fit 4 pins, there's a little cutaway so they go in the right way.

sometime between an eternity from now and never